Five that you Won't Buy

PDA

lizziedog1
May 27, 2011, 08:49 PM
There are many threads here about which gun or caliber someone would buy. Sometimes it is three guns, sometimes it is five guns, there are even one gun threads. I am asking for the opposite.

What are five guns that would be the last guns you would ever buy? Don't just include obvious junk firearms, but maybe even guns others might have or want.

You do not have to be model specific. It could be a certain style of gun that you wouldn't have in your safe even if it was given to you.

Here are five guns that I would never own.

1. hammerless revolvers

2. lever action rifles with any type of safety device

3. .410 shotguns

4. thumbhole stocked rifle

5. bullpup type weapon

Numbers 1, 2 and 5 have to do with looks. Call me shallow, but I refuse to own any gun that I find ugly. Yes, they might usefull, their design might make them perfect, but no thanks.

I recently bought a Henry Rifle. What I really like is what it lacks. It has no sort of safety or locking mechanism. It is a lever action made the way nature intended.

If I need a lighter shotgun I would rather have a 20 or 28 gauge. They don't kick any more then does a .410, but they throw out a usefull pattern. My shotgunning skillls need all the help possible.

So, what are five guns that you would never own?

If you enjoyed reading about "Five that you Won't Buy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mr.trooper
May 27, 2011, 08:53 PM
I like my .410s, and safety's on rifles, but I would have to agree with you on thumb holes and bullpups.

1) Bullpups

2) Thumb holes

3) Rifles which use obscenely overbore cartridges

4) Guns with funny-looking muzzle breaks

5) Tube fed rimfires.

Heretic
May 27, 2011, 09:00 PM
Anything you don't want, I'll take off your hands. I never met a gun I didn't like.

usmarine0352_2005
May 27, 2011, 09:05 PM

What's wrong with "tube fed rimfires"?

jiminhobesound
May 27, 2011, 09:13 PM
Any .22 rifles that have been made into military looking guns. Huge caliber handguns. Huge caliber rifles. Ten guage shotguns Guns so pretty one does not shoot them.

Pronghorn
May 27, 2011, 09:35 PM
1. rifles in a caliber that I can't buy easily or cheaply
2. Colt single action revolvers or anything that looks like one
3. any rifle with a poor bore
4. a bolt action shotgun
5. any Remington firearm

almherdfan
May 27, 2011, 09:41 PM
LOL, short of the bullpup, I've owned/own the guns you've mentioned. As long as they are in good working condition, I'm game for any firearm. However, my lowest priority guns are:

1. Judge-too expensive to shoot on my budget
2. .44 snubbie-expensive & uncomfortable to shoot much
3. Big bore rifle-just don't need it.
4. 12 gauge single shot--umm, no thanks.
5. Desert Eagle-all of the above reasons :)

orionengnr
May 27, 2011, 09:45 PM
1. Any Kel-Tec (BTDT x 4, nevermore)
2. Taurus Judge or S&W Governor or anything similar
3. Any single-shot anything
4. Any derringer-type anything
5. Any .25 caliber anything

EddieNFL
May 27, 2011, 09:48 PM
Polymer, DA autos, bolt action shotguns, Dan Wesson, .25 Auto

oneounceload
May 27, 2011, 09:49 PM
Black or "tacticool" rifles
Black or "tacticool" shotguns
Black powder/flintlock guns of any kind
Most pump shotguns
Handguns in the 460/500 cartridge range

Personally, if I didn't live in a subdivision, a nice 410 SxS from AyA would make a great tree-rat eliminator.................;)

jbkebert
May 27, 2011, 10:12 PM
Glock of any type
Any Remington arm made within the last 15 years
Any Winchester arm made within the last 15 years
Any striker fired handgun
Anything by Keltech or Kahr arms

Caliper_RWVA
May 27, 2011, 10:49 PM
You guys are too picky...

1) a stolen gun

2) a gun used in a crime

3) an unsafe gun

4) an overpriced gun

5) ... can't come up with a fifth one

mossberg835
May 27, 2011, 10:59 PM
diddo Bllueyes

The-Reaver
May 27, 2011, 11:03 PM
Heretic, +1 I agree.

UranusDestiny
May 27, 2011, 11:08 PM
Right on the mark BluEyes! Other than those, love em all!

Kliegl
May 27, 2011, 11:32 PM
Lot of prejudice in this thread, I'm surprised. I THINK, though I am not certain,
that out of the few responses above, we've collectively eliminated owning
any gun ever made.

Most .22s in long arm form are tube fed. The HK made back in the 80s
and the 10-22 being exceptions come to mind, I am sure there's more.

The Judge is fairly cheap, I picked one up for under 400.

And the Colt SAA is American history.

If I had to pick 5:
1. A homemade copy of a copy, like a Pakistani handmade copy of a Chinese AK.
2. High-standard brand firearms.
3. Weapons of a non-historical, non-significant, non-useful caliber like the .30 Remington AR, which is a modified 450 Bushmaster, I think. The .30 caliber family was just fine with the 30-30, .308, and 30-06 even not including the 7.62x39 which pretty much does the same thing as this 30 Rem AR.
4. Tokarevs. Probably not on these as well. Obscure round, not really into them.
5. I don't care for gold plated anything, or nickel plated automatics. They look too much like you would have to aim them sideways or something.

ShroomFish
May 28, 2011, 12:03 AM
1: Un-safe firearms
2: Firearms that require loading your own brass (rare or costly calibers)
3: A transferable MG (I want I want I want, but not for the price)
4: ?
5: ?

gathert
May 28, 2011, 12:08 AM
Dont knock the thumb hole stocks unless you dont have any thumbs. I find them much more comfortable to shoot.

Carter
May 28, 2011, 12:39 AM
1. Kimber-heard too many horror stories
2. Anything smaller than a .380 (and I doubt I'd ever buy a .380)
3. A shotgun over $1200-just don't see the point of spending more than that
4. A .50 anything-too much money to shoot and no practical purpose for me
5. Anything Century-too many horror stories

Other than that I'm pretty much good to go on just about anything.

I will, however, shoot any of the guns on that list. I just wont buy them with my money.

Birdmang
May 28, 2011, 12:49 AM
I used to say never, then I bought a .410

I used to say never, then I bought a single shot 12 gauge

I used to say never, then I bought a judge

I used to say never, then I bought a hi point

Ala Dan
May 28, 2011, 02:22 AM
a) any SKS or AK-47 type rifles or shotguns

b) any Bull Pup type rifle

c) modern "riverboat derringers"

d) any Taurus product

e) any 10 gauge shotgun

Kerf
May 28, 2011, 04:02 AM
1. Bullpups - the thought of having my face laid on a chamber when it detonates, puts me off a bit.
2. Guns with built in LOCKS, ie, S&W - right up there with no-stab knives, cigarettes that won't stay lit, dish soap that doesn't clean, light bulbs that don't light, and ethanol.
3. Plastic guns - rifle, handgun or shotgun
4. Foreign made Military Surplus - FN-49, 7X57 the one exception.
5. Never owned a 9mm, never want to own a 9mm. No reason, just pure prejudice.

On the other hand, I love: my Ruger Hawkeye,Martinis and Ruger #1s, (especially the one in 25-06, with the custom thumbhole stock), the single action armies ($500.00) that put two of my kids through college, wildcat cartridges, and being old.

P.S. Some judges and D.A.s have been known to "Recycle" long before recycling was as popular as it is today. I always thought it was better than having the guns destroyed.

Kerf

Apocalypse-Now
May 28, 2011, 04:43 AM
kel tec/bersa

Taurus

XD/XDM

lorcin/jennings, etc.

Philippine made 1911's

Swami
May 28, 2011, 04:50 AM
Springfield in the same category as a Jennings? I can't agree with that personally...

I'd have to agree with BluEyes - if there's not something wrong with it physically or morally, you can give it to me!

Apocalypse-Now
May 28, 2011, 05:22 AM
there's no category, it's just five guns i would never buy :)

sixgunner455
May 28, 2011, 05:42 AM
Huh. I don't know if I can come up with five. I don't usually think about things I really, really don't want. I'm more interested in contemplating the things that I do, and scheming for means to acquire that which I want the most.

I have owned a .410, and may again in the future, but for only one reason - training puppies. Actual hunting with it was a joke. Mostly due to my own inadequacies, I suspect, but it was still quite distressing to miss rabbits that should have *died*, and would have, had I been carrying my 20 guage or my 10/22 or a pistol. I will not own a Mossberg bolt action shotgun again, however. I think. Probably.

I will probably not buy a Thunder Five/Judge/Governor. I would take one if someone gave it to me. And then I'd be glad, because they are worth some money, so I could sell it or trade it for something I like. But I hope that someone I like doesn't give me one, because I would feel guilty for disrespecting a gift they gave me by immediately selling it, and I would feel bad for never, ever using something expensive that someone gave me and I didn't feel like I could get rid of out of respect for them.

A Mosin/Nagant carbine does not appeal to me. It did at one time, and I can't say never never never, because they are cheap and so is the ammo, but ... I'd probably get a 91/30, if I got another one, or an M39. I'd rather get another K31, though.

You go through things, and figure out what you like and what appeals to you, and you try things out and discover what doesn't work for you, and then you think, "Ah, I'd never get one of those again." I thought I'd never own a double action revolver again, once upon a time. But then I got to missing my old Model 10, and started buying them. I have four in the safe right now, and I'd buy another one right now - it's 0230 - or tomorrow or anytime. My favorite pistols are .38 and .357 double action revolvers, especially K-frame Smith & Wessons. I really want another Model 10, and a 64 isn't bad, and a model 15 would be awesome. Rugers aren't bad, and Colts can be great, too, but I mostly prefer S&W. But I really like lots of other kinds of pistols, too.

I would shoot most guns. I would have to have a lot of money to justify spending any of it on some of them, though. I'm a shooter, and an accumulator. I accumulate guns I like, like to shoot, and have a use for. I have yet to become a "collector", but don't ask my wife if I'm a collector. :D If I ever come into a lot of money, I will probably be one, and then I don't think many guns will be safe from my possession.

Maybe the Judge will still be, though.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
May 28, 2011, 05:48 AM
Taurus' :scrutiny:
Jennings' :banghead:
O/U Shotguns (any) :o
Derringers :confused:
Real tiny revolvers :cuss:

USAF_Vet
May 28, 2011, 09:50 AM
1. sub-compact pistols/ revolvers, to include Derringer type.
2. .45/.410 revolvers.
3. Tactical M-16 clone .22LRs.
4. anything with rare/ obsolete ammo.
5. anything that actually hurts when I shoot it.

Joe Demko
May 28, 2011, 10:30 AM
I'm up for pretty much anything that isn't made from Zamak. I especially dislike expensive pot metal guns like some of the .22's done up to look like various military weapons.

rule303
May 28, 2011, 10:31 AM
1: Anything with the word "Tactical" in its name
2: Glocks
3: Anything with a laser
4: A .410 marketed for defense
5: The latest and greatest ultra, super, or ultrasuper magnum.

I am not a ninja, samurai, special ops, black ops, mercenary, or sniper, and I don't even pretend to be one on the weekend.

EddieNFL
May 28, 2011, 10:48 AM

Just different standards.

scythefwd
May 28, 2011, 11:04 AM
will never own:
1. Anything with a grip safety - I'll remove it from the 1911 I'm inheriting. Lemom squeezers are right out.

2. A subcompact glock.

3. Derringer of any sort or guns of that size including the NAA mini's.

4. Chromed or nickle plated. Give me blued.

5. A lever action .30-30.

beeenbag
May 28, 2011, 11:13 AM
For me...

1. Any 1911. ( I can't shoot them)

2. Any .25 Acp

3. Anything that kicks harder than a 7mm rem mag

4. Pgo shotguns

5. A punt gun (I had to stretch for five)

gathert
May 28, 2011, 12:28 PM
You would be the coolest guy in the neighborhood if you had a punt gun. Wouldnt even need to shoot it. Could be your own one man duck pond flotilla :)

EddieNFL
May 28, 2011, 12:43 PM
Anything with a grip safety - I'll remove it from the 1911 I'm inheriting

I recommend wearing a heavy glove when firing.

LHRGunslinger
May 28, 2011, 01:04 PM
1) Punt guns (unecessarily large)
2) Artillery peices (too expensive)
3) .50BMG/any weapons that fire a similarly priced round (too expensive for a young guy like me to feed)
4) Less-than-lethal crowd control (just plain useless for the things I want guns to do)
5) Full auto M60 (WAY too expensive)

I don't get why the one guy won't buy a tube fed .22 rimfire. The rimfire round was specifically designed to be used in tubular magazines.

Snowbandit
May 28, 2011, 01:19 PM
1. Guns with the safety in the trigger......... all Glocks
2. Lever action rifles
3. Single shot pistols
4. Any gun made in China (I try to avoid accessories too but sometimes that's not possible)
5. Single action revolvers

scythefwd
May 28, 2011, 01:31 PM
eddie, I don't like the feel of the grip safety. Why wear a glove, that will lessen my feel for the gun when I can just replace the main sping housing with a silid one and have a gun that feels right regardless of what I am wearing. A 700 dollar gun should fit you, you shouldn't have to adjust yourself to the gun. That gun will never feel right if you adapt to it...it will if you adapt the gun to you.

sixgunner455
May 28, 2011, 01:34 PM
I don't get why the one guy won't buy a tube fed .22 rimfire. The rimfire round was specifically designed to be used in tubular magazines.

Not exactly. The rimfire .22 round was designed to be used in self-defense revolvers around the time of the U.S. Civil War.

Kliegl
May 28, 2011, 01:38 PM
I think he was thinking you'd just remove the grip safety and not put anything in its place.

Someone that can't adapt to a new gun is someone who will only be able to shoot a couple guns well.

scythefwd
May 28, 2011, 02:55 PM
klie - only need to shoot one well, the one I'm carrying. I tend to shoot everyrhing about the same. Not great, but suficient for sd at any distance shorter than 30y.

mdThanatos
May 28, 2011, 06:15 PM
1. A gun that doesn't fit me
2. A gun that has excessive recoil
3. A gun that is hard to find ammo for, either rare or costly as others have said
4. A brand new model that hasn't had the kinks worked out
5. A gun that doesn't call to me, yes they have all called out mine name before I bought them. I know it sounds weird but me and mine must have a connection before becoming family, yes I said family.

Ruger44mag
May 28, 2011, 10:16 PM
1. 1911 in 9mm

2. p-90

3. high point

4. thumbhole stocked rifle

5. desert eagle

wrench
May 28, 2011, 11:14 PM
I like most guns. There are a few, though, that I can't see myself ever having in my safe.
1. Those hideous plastic bullpup type rifles.
2. Revolvers chambered for shotgun shells.
3. Derringers
4. Handguns in shiny nickel or chrome
5. Hi Points:p

atblis
May 28, 2011, 11:21 PM
1)Kimber-->Junk
2)ParaOrdinance-->Junk
3)Anything made by Century(made not imported)-->Junk
4)Umarex made guns (P22)--Junk
5)Anything sold by EAA-->Bunch of jerks
6)Hesse/Vulcan/Blackthorne/Namedujour-->Junk

Shadow 7D
May 29, 2011, 01:04 AM
Derringers - there are guns that are smaller with MANY more shots
SA Revolvers, I can see it for a C&B, but for a modern round??
1911 IDK, there are other designs that I find more appealing (1903,1908), maybe if I was building, but I'm not
Big Hulking Revolvers... Really, why, if it needs that, I got rifles that weigh less.
Taki-cool-- Why??? really, why do you feel the need for the pointless (often expensive) crap?

XxWINxX94
May 29, 2011, 10:42 AM
1) Almost nothing made after 1980, I already own a few but they were inherited.

2) Repros/Replicas including muskets + black powder, only the real deal for me

3) Not a big fan of plastic/composite guns or stocks

4) Junk/$100 no name guns

5) Anything that I don't think is visually appealing, or if it doesn't have any collector AND shooter value.

HGUNHNTR
May 29, 2011, 02:24 PM
1. 25 ACP
2. Anything marketed using Ninja's, bikini clad women, or ultimate fighters.
3. Stainless Steel Firearms
4. American Made mass produced pistols.
5. M1 Garand's

45crittergitter
May 29, 2011, 04:46 PM
I will use up all five of my votes on any/all Remington centerfire autoloaders - rifles and shotguns.

kayak-man
May 29, 2011, 07:07 PM
Unless I come across some sort of fantastic deal, or I'm in a position where I NEED a gun ASAP, and buying one is the only option on hand:

1- Desert Eagle .50AE. I don't like the looks of them, and if I needed that big of a gun, I'd bring a rifle. Or a GLOCK 20/29 or 1911 in 10mm or .45Super.

2 - SKS. I think they are absolutely great guns, but theres quite a bit I can get for the $400 that they are currently going for. I already have a Saiga in 7.62x39, so my "Commie Gun" need has been filled.

3 - GLOCK 19. I think GLOCKS are great, but there is just soemthing about the way the 19 fits my hand that drives me crazy in a bad way.

4 - NAA Guardian. I don't want a .25 or .32, and if I ever decide to get a .380, I'll go with something like an LCP or DB380.

5 - S&W 500. Chances are a .44magnum will handle most threats just as well as a S&W500, and chances are I'll never have enough money to afford to put myself in a position like a Safari where I'd need a handgun that big.

I'm not saying that any of these are bad guns. If you're shooting one next to me at the range, I'm probably going to ask you about it. Right now though, theres other things that need my money more.

Chris "the Kayak-Man" Johnson

CB900F
May 29, 2011, 07:21 PM
Fella's;

Five things I don't want to buy or own:
Another Remington - I got caught in the initial 5mm magnum deal and I hold grudges.
A Glock. Not only is it ugly, it deforms brass, and it's striker fired. That's 3 strikes.
A Judge, or clone, just simply don't see the need for me.
A class three firearm. Yeah, way cool, but I don't need the BATF in my shorts.
A gun that's too pretty or expensive to shoot. No live pigeon shotties, thenkewveddymuch.

900F

Steel Talon
May 29, 2011, 07:47 PM
Raven Arms
Jennings Arms
Charter Arms
Lorcien Arms
Llama Arms

talldragon
May 29, 2011, 11:03 PM
CB900F: +1.
That's how I feel as well.

RimfireChris
May 30, 2011, 10:53 AM
1. Any thing in .25ACP, unless it's something rare/special.

2.Ruger LCR-too painful.

3. Anything in an "African" caliber, just don't need one.

4.Berreta 92, I actually love the gun, it's just too dang big for my hand.

5.AMT Longslide Hardballer. I want one, but I've heard too many horror stories. If I want to roll the dice again I'll save the money and buy another Taurus.

highlander 5
May 30, 2011, 11:10 AM
1 SKS everyone I tried stock is to short
2 AK 47 same as above
3 25 acp the world's most useless round
4 Freedom Arms too expensive for my blood
5 50 BMG not only are they costly,there's no where in my area with a range of 500+ yds to shoot it.
Honorable mention Any Glock pistol just doesn't fit my hand.

gym
May 30, 2011, 11:38 AM
Guns painted weird colors like royal blue, Cheap ass guns that are too numerous to list, black powder anything, any hunting rifles, "i don't hunt", target pistols in 22, They are fun for about 15 minutes. Any lever or pump operated rifle other than a shotgun.

Fred_G
May 30, 2011, 11:56 AM
I won't buy any overpriced ones, unless it is something I just 'have' to own. No illegal guns. Other than that, the more the merrier. Just out of curiosity, why all the hate towards the little .25ACP?

I have a little Colt 1908 .25. It is a lot of fun to shoot. I guess if I was in the market for a small caliber gun, I would get a .22, just for the low cost of ammo.

bushmaster1313
May 30, 2011, 11:12 PM
1. Gun made by Communist slaves

2. Mint collector gun that I wouldn't shoot

3. Revolver with a frame lock

4. One of the huge revolvers

5. Gun that is really bad for left hand shooters (e.g., the Kahr MK40 drops the magazine because my trigger finger activates the magazine release during rapid fire)

Davek1977
May 31, 2011, 01:17 AM
1. anything that costs more than a day's wage for a box of ammo
2. .22 magnum....I know its a fine round, but one I have no use or desire for
3. Tiny handguns, as in derringers, NAA revolvers, etc----just WAY too small for my hands.
4. Remington 770
5. Jennings/Bryco/similiar low cost, low reliability handguns

Dr.Rob
May 31, 2011, 01:36 AM
Never say never, but:

Can't imagine I'd ever purposely own a high-point.

I'm sure they work just fine but they are kind of ugly.

I have no plans to ever buy a polymer pistol. Yes, that could change.

Don't want a revolver bigger than a .44 mag, I've fired a few and didn't care for them.

pockets
May 31, 2011, 10:39 AM
As was mentioned; 'never say never'....
Over the decades, I've learned that what I list today will probably change tomorrow.

I used to say I'd never own a .25acp ..... now I own over two dozen of them.
I used to say I'd never own a lever action .22 ..... now I own 6 of them.
I used to say I'd never own a polymer pistol ..... now I own 8 of them.
I used to say I'd never own a 'commie surplus' anything ..... now I own 13 of them.
I used to say I'd never own an inexpensive 'SNS' ..... now I collect them.

The only thing on Earth that everyone likes is produced by 'Sarah Lee'. :D

doubleh
May 31, 2011, 10:46 AM
Any Glock
Any variation of a Judge
Any H&R/NEF Handi Rifle-had one-never again
Any "tactical" type shotgun.
Any ultra lightweight pistol

stevelyn
May 31, 2011, 11:23 AM
S&W Monster Magnums.
Lever guns with safeties although Marlin is the exception because they can be disabled and removed easily.
No Judges or 'public servant' guns.

RimfireChris
May 31, 2011, 03:37 PM
@Fred_G I own a Judge and another Taurus, how do think I feel man? :uhoh:

MtnCreek
May 31, 2011, 04:36 PM
Just out of curiosity, why all the hate towards the little .25ACP?
Because a paintball gun provides more energy on target!

.25 ACP (see above)
Cheap auto handgun (Jennings….)
Nitro Express Anything (biggest thing I've ever ran into was a +/-500 lb black bear)
Any Weapon that Holds More Batteries than Ammo (cause I ain’t that cool)
Desert Eagle 50ae (cause I ain’t robo-cop)

DAP90
May 31, 2011, 05:28 PM
Anything marketed using Ninja's, bikini clad women, or ultimate fighters.

You must have a heck of a time finding a brand of beer that suits you. :)

I don’t think I can come up with five.

1. any magnum rifle (except rimfires)
2. anything meant to be collected and never fired
3. anything I pretty much have to start reloading to use
4. really large handguns (Desert Eagles or 500 revolvers, etc)
5. ???

Vyacheslav
May 31, 2011, 05:33 PM
there's only one on my list, anything illegal, otherwise there is no gun i would not own for the right price

Old krow
May 31, 2011, 05:59 PM

1) a stolen gun

2) a gun used in a crime

3) an unsafe gun

4) an overpriced gun

5) ... can't come up with a fifth one

A glue gun. I really don't think that there's anything a glue gun can do that can't be done in different way. Otherwise those are my answers as well.

nwilliams
May 31, 2011, 06:31 PM
1: A stolen gun (or any gun I suspect might be stolen)
2: Suicide guns (just find them to be creepy)
3: Guns that are painful to shoot
4: Hi Point's (can't stand the look of them)
5: Guns that shoot a caliber that is no longer manufactured

kd7nqb
May 31, 2011, 06:51 PM
I cant really think of guns I don't like I mean there might be guns that are just so far down the "buy" list that I will never own them but I like them all.

But Here are the five guns I don't really think I will ever find myself buying

1. Side by side Shotguns
2. Single action revolvers
3. Rifles in obscure African Calibers
4. 1911 Race guns
5. Centerfire pistols without a rail

Fred_G
May 31, 2011, 08:01 PM
"Quote: Just out of curiosity, why all the hate towards the little .25ACP?

Because a paintball gun provides more energy on target!"

Hmm, still don't get the dislike of the .25. Last time I shot mine, the bullet went through the paper...

Of course, I am not trying to start a 'caliber war' here. The .25 I have is just for fun, I would get it's bigger cousin also designed by JMB, if I was needing more energy on the target. :D

oneounceload
May 31, 2011, 08:31 PM
No live pigeon shotties, thenkewveddymuch.

That's the most fun you can have with just about any gun - if you haven't done it, you might want to try it..... ;)

Sooner1911
May 31, 2011, 08:35 PM
Maybe I am too picky, but my five are:
1) Any milsurp rifle, including AKs, SKSs, Mosin Nagants, and even the venerable old Garand. They just don't do it for me.
2) A revolver chambered in a caliber greater than 44 mag. Again, they don't appeal to me.
3) A single shot anything. Sometimes you just need that second shot.
4) Any cheaply made weapon (Raven, Lorcin etc.)
5) Any bullpup.

Please send all junk Kimbers, lever action rifles, SS firearms, mass produced American made pistols (S&W, Kimber, Colt etc) care of Sooner1911, NY, NY :-)

Sheepdog1968
May 31, 2011, 08:36 PM
Good question. The way I started buying firearms was to look for ones that could serve multiple roles since I didn't have much money or firarms. As time progressed, I've purchased the ones I needed vs. wanted. Now the items I purchase fit more and more specalized niches. Thus the five would be firearms that serve very specalized needs. It doesn't mean I wouldn't want them, they are just further down the list.

gordy
May 31, 2011, 08:57 PM
1- Any handgun with a rail. Whats the point?
2- Any handgun in 40S&W. Buy a 45acp.
3- All glocks, but the m20 (with no rail)
4- Blackpowder guns you need a plastic ring for the primmer.
5- Any revolver made south of Mexico. Buy American.

mgmorden
May 31, 2011, 10:18 PM
Mine look a lot like yours :).

1. Bullpups
2. Scout Rifles
3. Any DAO (including hammerless) Revolvers
4. Any rifle with a mannlicher/full length style stock
5. Hi Points (Current incarnation - if they came out with a locked breech steel slide design I might give it a try)

Jeb21
May 31, 2011, 10:38 PM
S&W's version of the Walther PPk or PPKS (or I should say I will never buy one again)
Any of the new wonder magnums .500 or . 480- I simply do not have a use for them.
An AK-47 -
Any kind of functional smg - no use for them and could not afford the ammo cost
.50 caliber weapon of any kind
Desert Eagle

I know that was six but there was no charge for the extra. :)

Steve 48
June 1, 2011, 04:00 PM
You guys just about threw out most guns in one way or another. I agree on 25 ACP or Jennings or Highpoint, but sometimes that is all people can afford. I have over 30 handguns and 40 rifles and shotguns. There is not one I would call junk!!

scythefwd
June 1, 2011, 04:09 PM
Jeb, what do you have against .50 caliber black powder rifles? :)

texas bulldog
June 1, 2011, 04:22 PM
1. Taurus Judge or anything similar
2. Any gun in a caliber that is extremely expensive (more than just the regular expensive) or hard to find
3. Any type of derringer
4. Any .25 or .32 caliber handgun
5. Any S&W revolver with the lock

I could probably expand this to 10 at least, but those are the first 5 that come to mind.
(Jeb...Desert Eagles would have been #6 on my list too.)

AZ
June 1, 2011, 08:55 PM
I mean there are certainly guns that I want more than others, I do have preferences, but in my time so far with firearms I've never encountered one I don't like. There are those guns (I'm looking at you Raven 25) that I feel someone could make serious improvements to but that I wouldn't take and own if offered to me for free. Hell, I'd own a judge, why not.

RVSinOK
June 1, 2011, 09:17 PM
5. Any S&W revolver with the lock

This has been mentioned several times in one form or another. I'm just curious (so don't crucify me!) - why do so many people hate guns with "the lock" so much? Is it completely a "principle of the thing" deal? Other than people (myself included) not wanting extra "safety" features on their guns that are more of a pain in the rear than any real help, is there a problem with guns that have the locks?

I'm really not trying to stir up a hornet's nest here, I am just honestly a little confused. I have a S&W 686+ that has the lock. It was unlocked when I got it, and I have never touched it. The gun works flawlessly, and I can't imagine that it would do it's job any better if the lock wasn't there. Yes, it's there, but it doesn't cause me any problems, and if I didn't look closely, I would never know the difference.

I'm a little late to the game as far as being interested in guns, so I don't really know the background for the hate of the lock... :o

jeepguy
June 1, 2011, 09:19 PM
1. fn ps 90
2.a highpoint
3.a tarus(except the beretta 92 clone)
4.any revolver ecept .357 magnum or .44magnum
5'any handgun with a rail

CB900F
June 1, 2011, 10:20 PM
Oneounceload;

"That's the most fun you can have with just about any gun - if you haven't done it, you might want to try it....."

It gets back to the too expensive thing. A coupla decades ago I priced a live pigeon gun. At that time the going rate seemed to be in the sixty to eightyfive thousand dollar range. Considering the current state of the dollar to the Euro, they've got to have gotten a touch more expensive. Now I'm not saying you can't shoot them with a model 12 Winchester, but the competitive guns are most assuredly in the ranges mentioned.

900F

kingcheese
June 2, 2011, 04:06 AM
1 any type of "parlor gun"
2 any Hi Point product
3 any kind of "survival rifle"
4 anything 9mm
5 lever action rifle that ejects shells out the top(hit in the face a few two many times)

kimberkid
June 2, 2011, 08:16 AM
Desert Eagle in 44mag ...
I've bought or traded for one 3 different times and hated every one of them ... but damn they are cool.

Any handgun in 454 cassull

Stope Rat
June 2, 2011, 06:22 PM
1) Any Lorcin/Jennings/Bryco/Jiminez anything
2) Any incarnation of the TEC-9
3) Anything chromed
4) Any of the .22LR revolvers in derringer sizes
5) Desert Eagle 50AE

#1 and #2 are because I have fired them, and they are crap. And ugly.

#3 is pure esthetics - they're ugly and cheap looking.

#4 is because I haven't figured out what good they are.

#5 is because it's ugly, expensive, overly loud and hard to keep on target.

Apparently I have issues with ugly handguns.

LawScholar
June 2, 2011, 07:12 PM
I probably have more than 5, but here are the big ones.

1.) Taurus, or anything cheaper.
- Reasoning: To me, a gun represents more than something to run to the range with and throw a few rounds downrange with. To me, a gun is an investment. My family takes good care of guns, and we still have guns in marvelous condition that have passed several generations (including some real gems like a Colt Python). When I buy, I buy for keeps. I never intend to sell or trade a gun unless financial straits become dire. Further, it is a MUST that I can trust, absolutely, every gun I own. I know that each and every one of my guns, when properly cleaned and oiled, will perform 100% when I need them. Taurus, Bersa, Jennings, etc., and other such "budget" guns represent a far poorer value than the few hundred dollars in savings equates to. It's a gun you can never completely trust, which to me renders it useless. I love Ruger, but Ruger is NOT cheap. Ruger is INEXPENSIVE. The difference is in quality, and Rugers are tanks. Same with the Remington 870. 300 bucks buys you a brick house.

2.) Derringers
- Reasoning: Why? There are tiny guns now that can deliver outstanding power and reasonable round counts in a tiny package. The Ruger LCP and Khar PM9 are good examples of this. Derringers are a relic that really don't have a place anymore.

3.) Pistol-grip shotguns or machine pistols
- Reasoning: Much like the derringer, there are guns that can do what these guns do much better with no appreciable loss of function.

4.) Taurus Judge, S&W Governor, etc.
- Reasoning: I can't stand these abominations. A giant, clunky gun that does two things and does them both relatively poorly. A .45 by itself could do the same work in a smaller package, and the .410 is a god awful self defense choice.

5.) DAO/SAO firearms
- Reasoning; I enjoy the versatility of DA/SA in semi autos - it provides for safe carry with no manual safety followed by rapid followups. Revolvers, I also like the DA/SA hammer, as it makes the gun more adjustable to the shooter. To me, all DAO or SAO firearms do is limit options
- Exceptions: Glocks (technically DAO but a very good "Safe Action" trigger), and Cowboy-style shooters (Ruger Blackhawk, etc.).

LDNN
June 2, 2011, 07:32 PM
1. Any Saturday Night Specials
2. AK-47
3. WWI Rifles
4. Hammerless revolver
5. Chromed Pistol

nosbocaj
June 2, 2011, 11:14 PM
1. Derringer
2. Guns with hard to find ammunition
3. Large caliber hunting rifles
4. Muzzleloaders
5. Hi Point

Haxby
June 3, 2011, 03:01 AM
1. Taurus Judge, S&W Governor, etc.
2. Ruger.
3. Anything tacticool.
4. Rossi or Taurus with pearly grips. Or anything pink.
5. Ruger.

SonOfRoost
June 3, 2011, 03:43 AM
I'm with the few here, every gun I've ever seen has some merit to it. Maybe they wouldn't be useful to me personally, but somebody is looking for whatever the gun can offer. Whether it's price, scariness, low recoil, or turning things into hamburgers at point blank range (Taurus Judge), somebody needs the gun for just that reason. Just to say, if they handed it to me, I know someone would buy it from me, so it's worth keeping until I can get rid of it.

MachIVshooter
June 4, 2011, 08:14 AM
1) Anything HK. Ugly, oversized and overpriced guns from an arrogant, aristocratic company. I had a USP .45. Worst feeling .45 I've ever owned.

2)Anything Taurus. They did a poor job ripping off S&W and Beretta designs, thier own are so-so, and their CS is abominable.

3) Any tacticool .22 Rifle. .22's should be slender and lightweight.

4) PS90. Just useless. Anemic cartridge in a firearm that is eclipsed on both ends of size and function by 5.56mm guns.

5)XD/XD-M. Just hate them.

71Commander
June 4, 2011, 11:17 AM
1- Glock 17

2- Glock 19

3- Glock 26

4- Glock 27

4- Glock 22

jimmyraythomason
June 4, 2011, 11:40 AM
My five never buy guns; (1) A gun I suspect is stolen,(2) a gun with serial number removed or defaced,(3) a gun being sold by a vindictive ex-spouse/significant other,(4) a gun with safety issues that can't be easily fixed and (5) ANY gun priced above it's actual/perceived value. Honorable mention,anything nickle plated.

oldvet53
June 4, 2011, 12:42 PM
I have owned just about everything at one time or another so there is not a gun that I would reject out of hand except a stolen or suspected stolen gun. anything full auto, I had a lot of fun with these while in the Army but they paid for the ammo and I don't need to fire a 1000 rounds in a afternoon. I wouldn't own a AK ever again, any thing anymore that causes pain when shot, I used to but no longer.

Tape
June 4, 2011, 01:26 PM
1. revolvers with no hammers.
2. revolvers with a trigger.
3. revolvers with sights.
4. revolvers with hammers.
5. revolvers

tornadochaser
June 4, 2011, 02:37 PM
1. Any "judge" type revolver
2. Any Benelli other than a 20 gauge cordoba
3. Any Mossberg shotgun (cant stand the safety on the top of the reciever)
4. Sigma
5. Any new Remington anything. (quality control has slid so far down hill)

Sniderman
June 4, 2011, 03:36 PM
Sure, I'll Play!

Here are five for me.

1. Any plastic framed pistol
2. Any "Tactical" .22
3. Any cheap foreign knockoff.
4. Anything for my Ex-wife! :scrutiny:
5. Anything for my second Ex-wife! :what:

earlthegoat2
June 4, 2011, 03:57 PM
1. Any gun with an integrated locking mechanism/keyed safety device. Period.
2. Any with a thumbhole stock
3. Shotguns with muzzle brakes.
4. Any firearm in 40 S&W.
5. Mosin-Nagant. Finns included.

thefamcnaj
June 4, 2011, 04:46 PM
1) Black powder guns
2)taurus judge(any taurus for that matter)
3)hammerless revolver
4)any thing chambered in 357 sig.
5)over priced non practical guns (ie. desert eagels, kimbers, kahr p series, scandium revovlers)

spartand003
June 4, 2011, 10:20 PM
1. Thumb hole stock; these have got to be the ugliest things ever placed on firearms ever.

2. An automatic handgun chambered in anything larger than 9mm; I don't see a need for anything bigger unless I'm shooting a revolver.

3. A gimmicky .22 knock-off gun like the GSG 22 or a m1911/22; they seem fun, but the build quality on those things are spotty at best, and I like my Ruger just fine. Same thing for a .22lr only AR.

4. Anything with proprietary accessories; obscure mags included, I would hate not being able to find accessories for a gun I bought.

5. Khyber Pass copies; I don't care how cheap that Lee Enfield is, I am not touching it.

Jeb21
June 4, 2011, 10:25 PM
Scythefwd, I over stated my dislike for .50 weapons. Modern smokeless calibers are too powerful for me and I have no real use for them.

earlthegoat2
June 5, 2011, 12:51 AM
There are a few thumbhole fanboys out there who probably dont even know left handers exist. Even still thumbhole stocks are for the birds.

I challenge anyone to shoot better with a thumbhole than with a proper stock.

gathert
June 5, 2011, 01:08 AM
I find them more comfortable. But can shoot either just fine.

Fitzdenis
June 6, 2011, 03:09 PM
1 Sten gun
2 Any firearm post 1945
3 Sten gun
4 Any non military looking .22 lr or it looks like a post 1945 military model
5 Sten gun

Merlin1274
June 6, 2011, 03:59 PM
Well. There are not many guns I wouldn't love to own. There are a lot I would never buy. None I would turn down if given to me.

With that said.I don't have a top five brand wise.

1. no .25 or .32 Autos.
2. Nothing in the .50 cal range other then my BLack Powder guns.
3. Deringers. Just don't see the usefulness. I would rather have a LCP in my pocket.
4. Magnum Rifles. Nothing out there My .308 or .270 can't handle.
5. Any pistol in the 7.62 X 25. Had one got rid of it.

aka108
June 6, 2011, 05:24 PM
5X Ruger

If you enjoyed reading about "Five that you Won't Buy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!