Case prep station recommendations needed

PDA

Wildbillz
May 28, 2011, 12:27 PM
Hi All
I am thinking of getting one of the automated case prep machines. I would like one that will do deburing, champher and pockit primer cleaning. I see that most of the usual suspects make one. RCBS, Redding ect. Anyone have any expereance with any of them?

Thanks in advance
WildBill

If you enjoyed reading about "Case prep station recommendations needed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tom488
May 28, 2011, 09:06 PM
I have the RCBS Case Prep center, and really like it. I have several sets of cutter heads that I swap depending on what I'm doing. For doing .223 brass, I have a primer crimp remover, a primer pocket uniformer, a primer pocket cleaner, and a flash hole deburrer. For doing .50BMG, I switch to a 50BMG crimp remover and primer pocket uniformer. I also install deburr and chamfer tools, as my manual .50BMG trimmer leaves some rough edges.

My only complaint is that sometimes, I wish the RCBS had a little more speed, or at times a little more torque. But, a gentle touch (instead of ramming the case down into the tool) usually overcomes that.

fguffey
May 29, 2011, 12:40 PM
Volts X Amps = watts (watts = work being done) there is no advantage to the 220 model if you have 110 volts available. Higher volts allow for smaller motors and smaller wiring, again if you have 110 available there is no advantage to going to 220.

More torque? tongs tired off to the side, a strap wrench tied off to the side and then? a reloader having to hang own until the prep center spins around the locked up case until it disconnects itself? Happened to a couple of friends with gear headed 1/2 inch drills, they had to jump onto the drill and hang on, one broke both arms and wrest when they got wrapped with the wire, too much wire, with heavy equipment I want the drill to stop fast, with a lot of wire the drill will eventually unplug, not fast enough to suit me but even then the drills with the heavy gear heads, it takes a while for them to wind down.

My Opinion, the case prep center is the best investment,, I get it out every tine I reload or prep cases, I use a bore brush to clean necks, I have flash hole deburing tools, I have my first flash hole that required deburing but I have used the tool to put a bevel on the flash hole.

The tools in the Lyman hand crank crank care center will fit the RCBS case prep center, if purchased separately and or do not come with the center, it can get expensive.

F. Guffey

PlusP
May 31, 2011, 07:03 AM
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/case-prep/case-prep-xpress.php
This includes 7 tools and has 5 turning stations street price is 110.00

If you enjoyed reading about "Case prep station recommendations needed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!