Would you shoot more if you didn't have to clean your guns?

PDA

usmarine0352_2005
May 28, 2011, 02:43 PM

I hate cleaning my guns. It is one of the reasons I don't shoot a ton (other then price and a place to shoot).

I know that some people love cleaning their guns and even find it cathartic, similar to those who enjoy mowing their lawn.

Who here would shoot a lot more if you didn't have to clean your guns afterwards? (Going with the premise that ammo and a place to shoot are of no consequence.)

If you enjoyed reading about "Would you shoot more if you didn't have to clean your guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
elano
May 28, 2011, 02:51 PM
I think I would. I feel like I have to shoot at least a box of ammo to make it worth it since I have to clean them when I get home. I can't stand putting up a dirty gun. At the least I wipe out the actions and run a couple patches through the barrel even on my 22s. But yea if I didnt have to clean so many guns I would take more than 2 to shot at a time.

kingpin008
May 28, 2011, 02:51 PM
I'd shoot a lot more if I had the money to afford ammo.

Cleaning guns to me isn't a big deal. Takes all of ten minutes each, not a big deal.

Speaking of cleaning .22's - when I had my Ruger MK III, I put close to 10k rounds through it, and only cleaned it two or three times. In general, .22's don't need regular cleaning. In fact, it's thought to do more harm than good by a lot of folks.

usmarine0352_2005
May 28, 2011, 02:57 PM

kingpin008: "......Speaking of cleaning .22's - when I had my Ruger MK III, I put close to 10k rounds through it, and only cleaned it two or three times. In general, .22's don't need regular cleaning. In fact, it's thought to do more harm than good by a lot of folks."

Why wouldn't you need to clean a .22 as much as other guns?

ThePunisher'sArmory
May 28, 2011, 03:12 PM
I'd shoot a lot more if I had the money to afford ammo.

Cleaning guns to me isn't a big deal. Takes all of ten minutes each, not a big deal.

This sums it up for me!

Why wouldn't you need to clean a .22 as much as other guns?

No copper jacketing on the bullet to foul the barrel, just lead. Also some belive that it will harm the throat and crown if you constantly clean a .22 barrel. I personally don't clean a .22 barrel till accuracy falls off. However I do keep the reciever action clean.

earlthegoat2
May 28, 2011, 03:12 PM
If I shot more, I would clean my guns less. Guns sitting around for awhile dirty will do far more harm then putting a few more rounds through them between cleanings.

Lets face it, the pitiful amount of shooting most of us do and the celebrated view some of us take to cleaning our guns makes me think some like cleaning more than shooting.

ThePunisher'sArmory
May 28, 2011, 03:14 PM
^^^^^Thats about right!!

mustang_steve
May 28, 2011, 03:18 PM
Cleaning a gun is of more value than just cleaning it. I use my cleanings as a chance to visually inspect parts. The dirty fluid going about is great as a simple way to spot hairline cracks in the metal and whatnot.

I've actually repaired things before they failed based on issues I spotted on a cleaning (hairline crack forming on an ejector for example, replaced and adjusted the length of the piece to prevent this in the future). Such issues would not be found until a failure otherwise.

kimbershot
May 28, 2011, 03:20 PM
cleaning is a labor of love for my 1911's. become familiar with all the parts, pieces and fit and finish. i run maybe 300 lead bullets prior to cleaning--basically want to remove all lead from barrel. full strip--higher round count.

my 22's--i use clp for surfaces. not so concerned with barrel. my ar with spikes upper--i zap the crap out of the action.

i have an awc amphibian--i shoot it wet and will strip it down after about 500 rounds.

keep em clean and working. also--easier to sell if you have/want to.:what:

kingpin008
May 28, 2011, 03:31 PM
No copper jacketing on the bullet to foul the barrel, just lead. Also some belive that it will harm the throat and crown if you constantly clean a .22 barrel. I personally don't clean a .22 barrel till accuracy falls off. However I do keep the reciever action clean.

Bingo.

Overkilll0084
May 28, 2011, 03:32 PM
Would I eat more if I had a dishwasher? :rolleyes:

Is cleaning a gun after use really that bad? (Ruger MK Series excepted)

Six
May 28, 2011, 03:33 PM
Who here would shoot a lot more if you didn't have to clean your guns afterwards?

You don't have to clean your guns afterwards. I don't.

I clean them every now and then when I feel like it or want my revolver to be shiny again.

usmarine0352_2005
May 28, 2011, 03:47 PM
mustang steve: "Cleaning a gun is of more value than just cleaning it. I use my cleanings as a chance to visually inspect parts. The dirty fluid going about is great as a simple way to spot hairline cracks in the metal and whatnot.

I've actually repaired things before they failed based on issues I spotted on a cleaning (hairline crack forming on an ejector for example, replaced and adjusted the length of the piece to prevent this in the future). Such issues would not be found until a failure otherwise."

Well, if you don't shoot them, they won't crack.

lol

longdayjake
May 28, 2011, 03:54 PM
I own about 12 firearms that I shoot a lot and I have yet to clean them. They all shoot fine. Until they stop functioning reliably I am going to just let them stay dirty. I own several others that I have shot a lot and they needed cleaned eventually.

M2 Carbine
May 28, 2011, 03:56 PM
I wouldn't shoot more but I would shoot certain guns more if it wasn't for having to clean them.
I do not like cleaning guns and most of the time there's several guns in my shop that need cleaning.

Just this afternoon I'm debating on not shooting a Ruger Blackhawk because I cleaned it yesterday and I don't feel like cleaning it again.

Jim in S.A.
May 28, 2011, 04:03 PM
I don't mind cleaning mine at all. I put some music or a firearms podcast on in the background and clean away. I find it very relaxing.

I told a shooting buddy of mine that, and he asked me if I'd like some quality time with his firearms. I told him I didn't love it THAT much.:)

talldragon
May 28, 2011, 04:09 PM
If I still had my cap & ball Navy Colt, my answer would be yes.
Pyrodex is messy, so it wasn't worth taking it out to shoot for less than a few hours.
Now that everything I have is all smokeless?
No change. And I don't mind cleaning my guns, but not my favorite activity either :rolleyes: .

Friendly, Don't Fire!
May 28, 2011, 04:10 PM
No.

jiminhobesound
May 28, 2011, 04:16 PM
I like to clean my guns. I just wish I did not have to drive forth miles to shoot them.

Kliegl
May 28, 2011, 04:50 PM

Lead fouls as well.

Any gun can have the crown and throat damaged by dinging with rods. The trick is to clean from the breech via disassembly, bore snakes, or otis type cables, or bore guides, or just being very careful.

Semi auto rifles and revolvers are a little more tricky to clean from the breech than a bolt action or an auto pistol, but it's easily done.

Haxby
May 28, 2011, 04:58 PM
I'm not a U. S. Marine. I don't have to clean my guns if I don't feel like it.

Nushif
May 28, 2011, 05:10 PM
Nope. Ammo prices drive my shooting habits. I actually enjoy cleaning my babies.

Furncliff
May 28, 2011, 05:18 PM
No. I don't clean them after every outing anyway. 50 years ago that was gospel, I have learned the error of my ways. So far so good. I'm retired so cleaning is a pleasant chore. I work on my guns or targets or reloading every day. I keep reminding myself I could still be working.:barf:

Sky
May 28, 2011, 05:18 PM
ARs, 1911s, I do not mine cleaning. SKS with corrosive ammo and me being paranoid about rust is not so much fun. ARs down to 5 or 10 minutes each and no worries. The SKS I have yet to finish under 20 minutes and I still check the next day to be sure nothing is growing!! Maybe with time it will get better....

Viper
May 28, 2011, 05:33 PM
I see I'm not the only who hates cleaning guns. It's the kind of messy job I try to avoid. A definite YES, I would shoot more if I didn't have to clean the gun afterwards. I usually only take one gun to the range, because I don't want to face cleaning more than one at a sitting. To make it worst, I'm OCD about cleaning anything - my house, cars, and of course guns. If I shoot one round or 300, I can't let the sun set on a dirty gun. I have to get in there with a pick and Q-tip and make sure every particle of dirt is gone. Oddly enough, I don't mind lubing, just cleaning.

mbopp
May 28, 2011, 06:17 PM
It takes me longer to reload the ammo I go through than field strip my 1911. And how long does it take to run a brush and a couple of patches through a revolver?
Maybe I got the knack of it, but I don't have a problem cleaning my Ruger MKI either.

mdThanatos
May 28, 2011, 06:50 PM
No issue cleaning my guns. I do not however clean my SKS, I have made a point of not cleaning it. I add some oil or break-free to the receiver and bolt before taking it to the range and cycle it a few times but other than that I just don't clean it. So far I have only put 4,000 rounds of wolf through it but it hasn't hiccuped yet.

MaterDei
May 28, 2011, 07:00 PM
I shoot to clean! I love cleaning my guns.

The only guns I don't particularly like to clean are my mosins, only because I have to clean them on their schedule and not on mine. I like to have time and a relaxed atmosphere to clean my guns in so I don't often clean them right after, or even the same day that, I shoot them. The corrosive ammo I shoot in my Mosins means that I have to clean them within a day or so of shooting them.

If you don't want to clean guns, shoot 22s or get a Glock. Everybody knows that Glocks never need cleaning. ;P

J_McLeod
May 28, 2011, 07:08 PM
I don't clean them anyways. My XD went over 1000 rounds before starting to misfeed, and I blame low powered handloads for part of that.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
May 28, 2011, 07:14 PM
I believe, if one shoots quality ammo (quality reloads for me), that a good cleaning every so often to clean and lube -- that is all they need. With the high-quality lubricants we use today (Break-Free CLP by the gallon), the stuff is still protecting even while the gun is dirty!

My house is extremely dry all year round and the only time I really do a clean-detail is maybe after I have taken one gun to the range and shot more than about 50 to 100 rounds.

If I happen to get a gun in the rain, I will definately strip the entire gun down and detail it.

Anything less than that and I don't feel the gun is dirty enough to matter, they still all work the way they should and they are all still accurate, just a bit dirty!

JohnBiltz
May 28, 2011, 07:41 PM
I'm shooting as much as I can afford to shoot already.

Ignition Override
May 28, 2011, 07:47 PM
It would make no difference, although using corrosive ammo is an extra 5-min. chore. Even with regular, newer Berdan or Boxer primers, I don't want any gun bore to suffer erosion.

What is baffling is that some sellers at guns shows can't find 2 minutes to run a patch with light oil down a dirty (and maybe also worn?) bore, and expect people to just buy the gun, which could have a very worn bore.

The only limitation on my guns is cost, and avoiding the most humid days in July, August, or winter rain.

TempestP226
May 28, 2011, 08:00 PM
I'd shoot more if ammo wasn't so $%&# expensive. Personally, I enjoy cleaning my firearms though. It gives me time to think, as well as time to inspect and freshen my familiarization with them.

RichBMW
May 28, 2011, 08:18 PM
Can't say I love cleaning my guns...but I don't mind. I clean every gun every time. That's one reason why I limit myself to two guns per range session.

GLOOB
May 28, 2011, 08:36 PM
I hate cleaning revolvers. I like cleaning my semi's. I even like cleaning my MkIII for some reason.

orionengnr
May 28, 2011, 11:01 PM
If you choose not to clean your weapon, that is your choice.

I clean every weapon after every firing session...whether I have put six or a hundred rounds through it.

In summary, no...I shoot every chance I get, and clean after every firing session.

TheProf
May 28, 2011, 11:14 PM
I actually like cleaning my guns. Its a form of relaxation...whenever I can find the time.

almherdfan
May 28, 2011, 11:14 PM
NO. I like cleaning my weapons (after I've done it a time or two). And when I don't, I don't. I'd shoot more if ammo were cheaper and a range was closer.

talldragon
May 29, 2011, 01:35 AM
^^^^
i'd shoot more if ammo were cheaper and a range was closer.
+1

gathert
May 29, 2011, 01:46 AM
I'll tell you what, a bore snake takes down on cleaning time so much I dont mind cleaning guns. Not that I ever minded cleaning them in the first place. Its part of shooting, and you get to know your gun a lot better when its stripped to be cleaned. With my bore snake my revolver is clean in 5 minutes after a little detail work. Its almost too easy.

rodregier
May 29, 2011, 03:56 PM
I clean them occasionally. I don't let them being dirty hold me back from range time. Brush out the .22LR receivers when needed, their barrels less often.

S&W-Keeper
May 29, 2011, 04:12 PM
I definately would. It is hard for me to shoot over two the same day.

Equestrian
May 29, 2011, 10:08 PM
no i clean when needed the only ones that would get shot more would be the black powder ones because they have an immediate need for cleaning which is a pain everything else can wait until it rains or something

Walkalong
May 29, 2011, 10:11 PM
I clean my guns when they need it, but I don't "not shoot" to keep from cleaning them.
It is hard for me to shoot over two the same day.
Not me, but I do not clean after every range session, just when they need it. Wipe down, yes, but not a complete cleaning.

towboat_er
May 29, 2011, 10:12 PM
I'd shoot my black powder more if someone else cleaned it for me...any volunteers??

usmarine0352_2005
May 29, 2011, 10:40 PM
I'd shoot my black powder more if someone else cleaned it for me...any volunteers??

I found that using foaming bore cleaner is the best.

Bought a Tipman Carbon Fiber rod longer then the barrel, put the foam cleaner in, let it sit for an hour, run a brush through it a few times, then patches, then oil on a patch and then just oil the outside.

Has worked great for our modern in-line muzzleloaders. Obviously if you have traditional muzzle loaders it can be harder.

lono
May 29, 2011, 11:48 PM
I enjoy the time I spend cleaning guns. Who knows why, I always do it alone and in silence, maybe that is why I enjoy it.

Jonah71
May 30, 2011, 10:39 AM
I may shoot my revolvers more often if I didn't have to clean them. But I wouldn't trust anyone else to do it for me.

darkhorse84
May 30, 2011, 11:48 AM
In one of my first range classes, an instructor thought I did such a good job cleaning my Glock 22 that he marked all over it in about five different colors with wax pencils.

That was fun to clean in addition to clearing out the carbon build-up from that day's shoot.

rodregier
May 30, 2011, 01:04 PM
Why would the instructor crayon your Glock?

shootingthebreeze
May 30, 2011, 01:16 PM
I don't mind cleaning after shooting. That is so part of me having been in the military for 20 years that it's second habit. So I go shooting a lot regardless of the cleaning task.

P5 Guy
May 30, 2011, 01:42 PM
Personally I enjoy all the aspects of being a gun owner. Handloading, shooting and maintaining firearms and ammunition.
But one question comes to my mind when I see threads like this,what does the OP mean by "cleaning"? Full detail strip, clean and lube or push a couple of wet patches thru the bore, dry and wipe down the exterior of the gun just taken from the range bag?

usmarine0352_2005
May 30, 2011, 01:45 PM
Personally I enjoy all the aspects of being a gun owner. Handloading, shooting and maintaining firearms and ammunition.
But one question comes to my mind when I see threads like this,what does the OP mean by "cleaning"? Full detail strip, clean and lube or push a couple of wet patches thru the bore, dry and wipe down the exterior of the gun just taken from the range bag?

Whenever I clean my guns I fully field strip, clean and lube them.

rogerjames
May 30, 2011, 09:54 PM
I love cleaning my guns. Each time I break them down and clean them, I feel more confident that they will function properly and I enjoy handling the parts and getting acquainted with how they fit together and operate.

Ignition Override
May 30, 2011, 10:46 PM
For motivation, just remembering the wear in so many classic guns' bores, while watching the Military or History Channel can be enough.

In (former Marine Officer) C. J. Chivers' new book, "The Gun" (among other books), his excerpts on how many of our guys died in early Vietnam combat when their rifles jammed might provide inspiration.

mgmorden
May 31, 2011, 01:22 AM
Nope. I don't clean after every outing anyways. I only clean my guns when I feel they need it. That's is usually either if they develop a problem, get wet, or have been shot and I am bored with time on my hands.

I have guns that I've taken to the range a dozen times or more between cleanings. Never seems to be an issue.

Heck my dad's view on gun cleaning was always "wipe it with WD40 if it gets wet and rusts up". While his guns stayed pretty dirty a lot of the time (and the actions looked HORRIBLE when I finally broke down most of the for a detailed cleaning I decided to do for him), they all kept working for 25+ years without anything other than an exterior wipe-down with a tube-sock and WD40.

IMHO, cleaning your guns helps, and for carry guns I'd say do it often-ish, but I think many overestimate how much cleaning is needed. If you're not shooting corrosive ammo then it doesn't need to be cleaned every time its shot.

wow6599
May 31, 2011, 01:34 AM
YES

Davek1977
May 31, 2011, 02:08 AM
No, cleaning has no impact on my desire to shoot. I'm not as picky as some when it comes to cleaning (as in, I don't feel the need to detail strip a gun every time I clean it when a simple field stripping can get the job done). I'm also of the non-military school, meaning I don't feel the need to clean a gun after every single use, whether its one shot or 1000. I do believe in keeping my guns in good working order and maintained, but believe that one can actually accelerate wear with overzealous cleaning, rather than preventing it.

Kerf
May 31, 2011, 03:20 AM
you should wash your hands when they look dirty or smell bad; not every time you use them. Same criteria with guns. Fondling is a different subject altogether.

Kerf

NMGonzo
May 31, 2011, 02:50 PM
Clean?!?

Mule
May 31, 2011, 03:26 PM
I would shoot my black powder guns more if I didn't have to clean them right away.

CZguy
May 31, 2011, 03:55 PM
This really seems to be based on your general outlook on chores.

I always clean a gun when I shoot it, but I also make my bed everyday, cut the grass once a week and so on. Chores don't bother me as they are just a part of life.

Arkansas Paul
May 31, 2011, 06:02 PM
I'm with Mule. I would shoot BP more if the cleaning process wasn't such a PITA.
The rest I shoot whenever I want and clean when I think it needs it. Never had any issues.

x_wrench
May 31, 2011, 06:02 PM
your supposed to CLEAN them?!?:what::evil::neener: no, it makes no difference to me. it is part of the experience. if you do not take care of your firearm, when you need it most, it may NOT take care of YOU!

Zundfolge
May 31, 2011, 06:10 PM
No, I would shoot more if I didn't have to drive 45min each way to the range and back.

mgmorden
June 1, 2011, 01:33 AM
if you do not take care of your firearm, when you need it most, it may NOT take care of YOU!

Remember though that not all uses of firearms are "tactical" or "defensive". Out of the 3 or 4 dozen firearms I own there are exactly 2 that I would even be in a position to rely on to a point where a malfunction would illicit more than a "Darn. That bites.". On the other hand at least half of them are shot regularly.

Realistically, there are a LOT of guns that people own where reliability isn't a critical factor, simply because those guns aren't used in such situations.

gym
June 2, 2011, 11:59 AM
I always clean my "carry", after shooting it, along with a function test, pencil with eraser, to check the firing pin. As for other guns I may have taken, usually I will do them within a week, if not right after. As long as I drag out the cleaning supplies, I may as well do all of the ones I fired. Also my pocket pistol gets cleaned once a month weather I shot it or not. It's amazing what can fall into a small pistol that sit's in your front pocket. I remember discussing this before, and several guys said the same about pocket guns, bugs etc. If you are relying on a piece of machinery to save your life, the least you can do is make sure it's cared for and as ready as it can be. That one time that your firing pin or dirty slide fails to work because of some dirt, is one time too many.

Renegade87
June 2, 2011, 12:01 PM
I enjoy cleaning as much as I do shooting them.

The Lone Haranguer
June 2, 2011, 08:00 PM
I tend to regard cleaning things as a necessary evil ;), but the necessity of cleaning guns afterwards doesn't affect how often or how much I shoot them.

LDNN
June 3, 2011, 11:20 PM
I really enjoy cleaning...it is a zen-like state of mind for me when I clean a weapon so I actually look forward to cleaning after each range/IDPA session.

wrs840
June 3, 2011, 11:38 PM
I really kind of like to clean my guns, and probably do so more often than necessary. But like others have said, the only ones I feel really obliged to clean are the ones I don't plan to shoot again for a while, so yes, the more I shoot a particular gun, the less I tend to clean it.

CajunBass
June 4, 2011, 07:13 AM
Would you shoot more if you didn't have to clean your guns?

Naw. I don't HAVE to clean a gun unless I want to.

Sav .250
June 4, 2011, 08:08 AM
Training or the lack of has a lot to do with that.

CZguy
June 4, 2011, 12:04 PM
Whenever these discussions come up, I'm reminded of a former co-worker who said "why brush your teeth, you're just going to eat again".

ball3006
June 4, 2011, 04:56 PM
People that are too lazy to clean and take care of guns should not own them.........................chris3

usmarine0352_2005
June 4, 2011, 05:23 PM
Whenever these discussions come up, I'm reminded of a former co-worker who said "why brush your teeth, you're just going to eat again".

That's not apples to oranges. Certain things need less time between maintenance then others.

You wouldn't go to your doctor for a "weekly" check up would you?

Sniderman
June 4, 2011, 05:25 PM
Nope,

Cleaning is part of the process.
Put on some good tunes and enjoy reminiscing about the day at the range.
inspect and admire while you dust 'em off.
Go to bed happy, your toys are resting comfortably. :)

The-Reaver
June 4, 2011, 05:27 PM
Typically I would say no I love shooting and cleaning all my rifles/handguns.
Then I remembered my AR, to many years in the army has brought me to hating the AR system. ( cleaning it not useing it )

weeniewawa
June 4, 2011, 05:29 PM
for me, driving 30 minutes or longer to the range and setting up to shoot takes way more time that cleaning the weapons used.

If you enjoyed reading about "Would you shoot more if you didn't have to clean your guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!