Stephen Camp dead at 59

PDA

Johnny Guest
May 28, 2011, 07:59 PM
A great firearms enthusiast and fine friend, Steve Camp, died on Friday from a brain aneurysm.

Steve and I were introduced by Jim Wilson, in about 1968. Jim was a Denton cop and I a county prosecutor's investigator. Steve was a college student then, and later joined Denton Police. He retired several years ago after a long and honorable career. Steve was a tireless worker for Second Amendment rights and very active with National Rifle Assn. and Texas State Rifle Assn. He was one of those most active in TSRA having the Texas CHL law passed. A recognized authority on Browning Hi Power pistols, he was a published author, blogger (http://hipowers-handguns.blogspot.com/), and on staff at various firearms interest boards.

Since we both retired a few years back, I haven't seen near enough of Steve, which I greatly regret. He was some eight years younger than me . . . . I'd been in touch with Steve by e-mail within the past couple of weeks, concerning pending legislation. He found what I needed and replied promptly. We'd been meaning to get together for lunch or something for a while, but hadn't gotten around to it.

Late addition: Typical of Steve's generous nature, he was an organ donor. The useful bits may have been harvested by now, and funeral arrangements are pending at DeBerry Funeral Home, Denton.
RIP, Esteban

Johnny Guest

If you enjoyed reading about "Stephen Camp dead at 59" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
farscott
May 28, 2011, 08:11 PM
That is sad news. My condolences to his family.

22-rimfire
May 28, 2011, 08:21 PM
Very sad news and at such a young age.

johnnylaw53
May 28, 2011, 08:27 PM
May God be with his family in this time of need. rest in peace Mr. Camp.

19-3Ben
May 28, 2011, 08:29 PM
Oh no!!!! I always appreciated his posts, and his wisdom. When I first got into guns a few years back, his hipowers and handguns website was one of the resources I used that taught me some of the basics.

My condolences to the family.

Waywatcher
May 28, 2011, 08:35 PM
Oh no!!!! I always appreciated his posts, and his wisdom. When I first got into guns a few years back, his hipowers and handguns website was one of the resources I used that taught me some of the basics.

My feelings exactly. He will be missed.

19&41
May 28, 2011, 08:39 PM
Such a credit to the shooting sport. He will be missed. Rest in peace and my condolences to the family.

riceboy72
May 28, 2011, 08:40 PM
Rest well, Mr. Camp, and thank you for your many decades of knowledge and contributions to the shooting world. Your words of wisdom and love for all things firearms will be missed, as will you.

rogertc1
May 28, 2011, 08:43 PM
Life is short. God bless.

BHP FAN
May 28, 2011, 08:45 PM
salute.

Deltaboy
May 28, 2011, 08:47 PM
RIP and Prayers for the Camp Family and You Johnny. Mr Camp was one of the Biggest Hi Power fans I ever read about.

Brian Williams
May 28, 2011, 08:49 PM
Condolences to His family.

Awsomepossum
May 28, 2011, 08:50 PM
My condolences to his family.

nwilliams
May 28, 2011, 08:53 PM
Very sad news indeed, my condolences to his family and friends. He was certainly a wealth of knowledge here on the forum and will be missed.

HorseSoldier
May 28, 2011, 08:58 PM
Truly a loss to the gun enthusiast community as a whole. Mr. Camp was not only extremely knowledgeable, but a true class act in his helpfulness (and patience) on various internet gun forums.

RM
May 28, 2011, 09:05 PM
I learned much from his writings and respected him greatly. RIP.

WVleo
May 28, 2011, 09:14 PM
I will miss His posts. Here's hoping it was quick and painless, tho way to early of a age.....WVleo

SharpsDressedMan
May 28, 2011, 09:15 PM
In a new medium made of electrons, and without even trying, Stephen Camp rallied followers and admirers in a similar fashion to Skeeter Skelton. Stephen had dignity, intelligence, wit, and honor. I learned this about him from his writings on the forums, and a few personal notes to each other. Sometimes, without even meeting a person, you just KNOW some things about them. I never got to share a drink, go shooting with him, or talk in person. He will still be missed, as he was truly larger than life in the world of gun information and gun talk.

420Stainless
May 28, 2011, 09:22 PM
His posts and articles were always something to learn from. I did not know him, but will miss his works. My prayers for his family and friends.

Walkalong
May 28, 2011, 09:29 PM
Very sad news for the shooting world who enjoy his writings. Condolences to family and friends. AC

KodiakBeer
May 28, 2011, 09:51 PM
When you discover the Hi Power and begin to explore the capabilities of this very fine pistol, you soon discover that all roads lead back to Stephen Camp. Whatever question you may ask, somebody is sure to point to Stephen Camp because he has already been there and done that.

He was a gentleman.

Lonestar49
May 28, 2011, 10:09 PM

How's that song go ~ only the good die young ~

It seems it is true,

RIP friend

Condolences to family and personal friends,

Ls

orionengnr
May 28, 2011, 10:20 PM
Wow. I don't know what to say.

Mr. Stephen Camp's posts were always informative and dignified. Although I never had the priviledge of meeting him, I would have been honored to know him. Now I never will. I am very sorry that this is the case.

I live in North Texas and if anyone has information on where I might pay my respects, I would like to do so.

WJR
May 28, 2011, 10:51 PM
One of my favorites. Always a pleasure to read his posts and reviews.

He will be missed. RIP.

WJR

HexHead
May 28, 2011, 10:58 PM
A true loss. RIP.

earlthegoat2
May 28, 2011, 11:11 PM
I dont understand why I feel like crying.

I did not even know him.

Such is the power of the communication of this age. Friends we never knew we had and relationships brought of only words.

Yet still strong.

Quoheleth
May 28, 2011, 11:14 PM
Deep, sincere, and heartfelt condolences to Mr. Camp's family.

Q
John 11:25-26

Hoser
May 28, 2011, 11:35 PM
Sad news indeed. I will miss him.

MICHAEL T
May 28, 2011, 11:42 PM

He has been a member of my Bersa boards since start in 2004. I will miss his writings and test.

He will be come a member of our Member Footprint section . Where we remember those that have gone before us.
RIP you will be missed by many.

Ben86
May 28, 2011, 11:44 PM
What a sad loss to both the shooting community and his family.

His highpowers and handguns website was a great resource when I first started shooting and still is.

vmr357
May 28, 2011, 11:46 PM
Sad to hear the news. Though I only corresponded with him but he treated my like a friend. His writings were full of experience, insight and understanding. My heart goes out to his family.

Vern

Cliph
May 28, 2011, 11:48 PM
Thank you Stephen. May God bless you and hold you in the hollow of his hand.

Jeff F
May 28, 2011, 11:56 PM
My condolences to his family. Also thanks for being an organ donor. With his death, someone will have a chance at life. I have read and enjoyed many of his writings.

HankB
May 29, 2011, 12:06 AM
Sad news indeed.

I knew Mr. Camp only by his writings, but found him to be among the most informative and literate contributors to the firearms field on the Web.

Condolences to his family.

Ala Dan
May 29, 2011, 12:13 AM
Back in 2002, when the original Firing Line.com was dissolved and The High
Road.org and Shootersville was first started, I received a personal invitation
to become a member of each from Mr. Camp. From that time forward, he and
I became great friends; often times competing in whats known as Postal Pistol
Matches, with a team of other members. Quite often, he was the "guy" to beat.
He did so with great class, demeanor, and sportsmanship. He has tutored many
persons here on this (and other) forums; and was well respected for not only
his shooting skills or his teachings - but rather for his compassion, honesty,
bravery, and dedication to his duty "of serving and protecting the public". He
truly was a friend, and as such he will surely be missed by all whose lives he
touched.

Charlotte and I wish to extend our deepest sympathy, condolences, and prayers
to his family (personal and extended), friends, and loved ones; at this time of
their (and our) great loss. RIP my friend - Stephen~!

Zundfolge
May 29, 2011, 12:18 AM
The shooting community has lost a great source of info and wisdom.

The Camp family has lost even more.

My prayers to the Camps and all who knew Stephen :(

rellascout
May 29, 2011, 12:25 AM
May he rest in peace. Mr. Camp was a great contributor to the forum. He was always sharing his knowledge with us. Condolences to his family and close friends.

He will be missed by the members here and the shooting community in general.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH2w6Oxx0kQ

Matt G
May 29, 2011, 12:28 AM
I joined The Firing Line because of Stephen A Camp, A.K.A. Steve Camp, A.K.A. "Scamp."

He would send me messages via email back in 1999. Almost all of it was 2nd amendment stuff. One day, I sent a fervent message to a legislator involved in ammending our rights, and I c.c'd Steve Camp. He gently reminded me that, while it's great to be strong in our convictions, we must ALWAYS be courteous in our statements, or we lose the battle by forfeit. I've never forgotten that advice. I joined TFL because of him, and became a moderator there and here, basing my posts on his principles.

When Steve shot at tactical matches, he was absolutely Dead. Center. Accurate. He didn't miss. That said, he was not at the top of the rankings. His attitude was that he would rather be certain of his shots than to risk missing, and therefore having to account for an errant shot. I think that he thought of words the same way. He "practiced like he played."

Steve has single-handedly caused me to re-evaluate the performance of modern 9mm self-devense ammunition (something I otherwise would never have done), and to consider it viable.

Steve taught a generation of firearms activists to be courteous, effective, and forthright in their efforts to maintain our rights. He also went about the study of the Browning High Power and the 9mm cartridge in a scientific manner, and wrote about them in his own style. I am proud to own a couple of his books, signed.

Friends, we are diminished. But please, for me: raise your glass to the gentleman that Stephen A. Camp was and is. For he is with us always, now.

usp9
May 29, 2011, 12:32 AM
My condolences to his family and sad news for his forum family. He will be missed.

Joshua M. Smith
May 29, 2011, 01:05 AM
Johnny,

We are mourning his passing over at H&A as well.

We were contacted by Sheriff Benny, then later found he had been taken off life support.

I had heard rumors that he had passed, but I didn't want to propagate them. Wanted to see something in black and white.

You are someone I respect, and if you have hard evidence to this fact, then I will respect your word.

Mr. Camp will be sorely missed by me, and many, many others.

Way too young.

Josh

JohnKSa
May 29, 2011, 01:08 AM
I hate to hear this news. I always enjoyed his thoughtful and informative posts here and elsewhere.

dogtown tom
May 29, 2011, 01:28 AM
He will be missed. Stephen Camp was the epitome of class.

Tim the student
May 29, 2011, 01:55 AM
My condolences to friends and family. Sounds like he was a good man.

Joshua M. Smith
May 29, 2011, 01:57 AM
It has been suggested that a special forum be dedicated to Mr. Camp, and that H&A is the natural place to do it since it was his design I coded.

I have put it forth to my moderators for discussion. If we go forward, then I would eventually like some input as to what it should be, in your opinions.

I do have a note on my Mosin-Nagant sights page to the effect that I'm proud to have called him a friend.

Seems something more should be done.

Josh

Mike J
May 29, 2011, 01:58 AM
My condolences to the family. Prayers for the family also. I did not know this man personally but I always enjoyed reading what he had written.

hessy
May 29, 2011, 02:01 AM
Rest in peace, friend.

Zak Smith
May 29, 2011, 02:03 AM
A great loss to us all.

hank327
May 29, 2011, 02:17 AM
I am very shocked and saddened to read of Steve's death tonight. I was acquainted with Steve from meeting him at the local gun shop and he was my CHL instructor when Texas first passed it's CHL law. He will be sorely missed.

God's speed...

mister2
May 29, 2011, 02:23 AM
Courteously articulate, an authority on 1911s and BHPs, among others, Mr. Camp is best described by his usual closing salution...Best

MR2

sm
May 29, 2011, 02:24 AM
Mr. Camp was a friend I had not met in person yet. We have communicated a lot over the years. I wondered why he had not responded to my last communicate...
We had been discussing yet again some real deal, real life stuff...

Mr Camp...I was not in his league, but he called me a "warrior" . I don't deserve this term from Mr. Camp or Jeff White, or others. but he called me that.

It is said, the only thing left when one dies it that which will not burn. Mr. Camp will live on, as he damn sure stood for Freedom, fighting Tyranny and Passing forward to others.

Yes, he shared a lot about guns, reloading and the like, but he shared a helluva lot more.

Good bye my friend, you may be gone, you will never be forgotten.

Steve

ArchAngelCD
May 29, 2011, 03:36 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with his family...

TexasBill
May 29, 2011, 04:41 AM
A fine pistol has lost a good friend and advocate and we have lost another fellow enthusiast. Requiescat in pace, sir.

My sincere condolences to those who mourn his loss at far too young an age.

BHPshooter
May 29, 2011, 05:18 AM
It is regrettable to me that I never got to meet Steve in person. I feel (like many others, no doubt) that he was a mentor that helped me very much in the early phases of my shooting and heavy interest in the BHP. His books, especially Defensive Handguns, are unbelievably articulate, helpful, and informational, while being entertaining to boot.

I will miss him greatly, and the 2A community is greatly diminished with his passing.

Rest in peace, Steve.
Wes

larryh1108
May 29, 2011, 07:51 AM
The armed community lost a great ambassador and friend to thousands. It is truly a sad day in America. Steve was the epitome of class and dedication. All the best, Steve. You are in God's hands now.

Fred Fuller
May 29, 2011, 08:42 AM
Another good man gone, far too soon. Yet what a great legacy he leaves behind - would that we could all do so well. Condolences to his family and friends.

lpl

silversport
May 29, 2011, 08:53 AM
A true Gentleman...I called him friend but I only knew him through his writings, buying some of his books, email and my participation in his and Teddy Jacobson's Project Street Gun #1 Class...I finally bought a Hi Power in part because of him...Godspeed my friend...prayers for your Family...
Bill

douglasmorris99
May 29, 2011, 09:16 AM
I wish him many fireside chats with JMB...Thank you Mr Camp..

Poohgyrr
May 29, 2011, 10:48 AM
Mr Camp is already missed here on Earth, but he definitely left his legacy and many good memories. Prayers and best to his family and friends during these times.

O C
May 29, 2011, 11:20 AM
You left many friends behind that thought highly of you, may we all follow that lead. RIP Sir...

Mad Magyar
May 29, 2011, 12:18 PM
I never read a post of his that put-down even the worst of opinions. Always polite, to the point. A class-act...

Bartholomew Roberts
May 29, 2011, 12:27 PM
Mr. Camp was a huge benefit to the shooting community and a gentleman whose patience seemed to have no breaking point. I feel fortunate to have talked with him online and met him even once. He was a great asset to THR and will be sorely missed by supporters of the Second Amendment. While his life was shorter than it should have been, his accomplishments are enough to fill several lifetimes.

wrench
May 29, 2011, 12:32 PM
Always a gentleman.
Helpful, thoughtful, patient, kind.
We are diminished.
RIP

Mossyrock
May 29, 2011, 12:42 PM
He was a good man with whom I had the honor of corresponding on several occasions. He was well-respected in his field and a true gentleman. He will be missed.

May God bless him and keep him.

Seventhsword
May 29, 2011, 01:01 PM
He autographed his book "Paid in Full" for me. A very down to earth and all around nice guy...

Al Thompson
May 29, 2011, 01:02 PM
Darn! Prayers sent... :(

May 29, 2011, 01:39 PM
RIP, sir. Thank you for all you do for the community.

wnycollector
May 29, 2011, 01:44 PM
What a loss to our community. Like many others here, I to corresponded with him about BHP issues. He was always cordial and professional. My condolences and prayers go out to his family.

hso
May 29, 2011, 01:53 PM
A great loss to the firearms community.

I'd had the pleasure to correspond on BHPs with Mr. Camp and was always delighted to see anything he wrote.

A great loss.

Tinpig
May 29, 2011, 02:29 PM
Very bad news.
Stephen Camp was one of the finest gentlemen I ever "met" on the internet. He was universally respected and admired. I owe my interest in Hi Powers to him and will always be proud to have known him. I feel lucky to have copies, inscribed and autographed by S.A.C., of The Shooter's Guide to the Browning Hi Power, Hi Power Disassembly, and Defensive Handguns.
A terrible loss to his family and to all of us.

Tinpig

Bentonville
May 29, 2011, 02:56 PM
Though I was born before Mr. Camp, I always felt he was the elder and the wiser. When I had a question for him concerning a pistol, he would always take the time to reply either directly or via post. He treated me as an equal yet he was far more knowledgeable with experience to back it up. I will miss him.

CZF
May 29, 2011, 03:43 PM
So sorry to hear the news.

He was also a credit to the CZ community as well.

EAJ
May 29, 2011, 03:52 PM
I admired and respected his generosity with the shooting community and his thorough firearm reviews. I wish Godspeed to Stephen, and my sincere condolences to his family and friends.

A reminder to all that yesterday is a canceled check; tomorrow is a promissory note; today is the only cash you have - so spend it wisely. Don’t delay spending time with family and friends, and express to them what they mean to you, for we know not what tomorrow will bring.

vaupet
May 29, 2011, 04:09 PM
condolences to his family and (many) friends.

Always loved to read his writings on "our" national BHP.
Hope someone keeps his website up, so he will live "forever" trough his work.

Greetings from Belgium

Peter

LUPUS
May 29, 2011, 04:27 PM
A lost that can not be replaced for shooting enhusiasts...
May God bless his soul and his loved ones...

fallingbird
May 29, 2011, 04:28 PM
So sad to hear of his passing. May he rest in peace, and God Bless his family. I had just gotten his Hi Power book (which he most graciously autographed for me), and the disassembly guide just two weeks ago. I'm new to the Hi Power, but I'll cherish his work and think of him as I get more interested in these fine weapons.

Smaug
May 29, 2011, 05:46 PM
Really sad. I referred to his website regularly. Doesn't seem like he got to enjoy his retirement near enough. I know I'll still be working at that age.

Johnny, is there any chance you can save the contents of his website somehow/somewhere? It is an absolute GOLDMINE of information, and I think he'd want it to live on. He put a lot of work into it.

Wishoot
May 29, 2011, 06:15 PM
Very sad indeed. Mr. Camp was a fount of incredibly valuable information and had a way of communicating with people that was non-confrontational and helpful.

Blessing to his family and friends.

Stevie-Ray
May 29, 2011, 07:23 PM
I am truly saddened to hear of this. I offer my prayers that his family's pain is eased and the memories of his life are only fond ones.

Shmackey
May 29, 2011, 07:25 PM
RIP, Steve.

MagicD
May 29, 2011, 07:41 PM
My condolences to the family and friends of this fine man and excellent firearms advocate and writer

Dave Markowitz
May 29, 2011, 08:43 PM
This is very sad news. Mr. Camp was invariably courteous and always willing to share his copious knowledge.

Condolences to his family.

Joshua M. Smith
May 29, 2011, 10:00 PM
Hi Folks,

Look for Mr. Camp's obituary in the Denton papers tomorrow. Cremation will immediately follow the service.

He had requested, and the family is requesting, that contributions go to the Denton Police Officer's Association.

Typical Camp.

I hope this helps those who have asked about flowers and such.

Josh

Jeb21
May 29, 2011, 11:49 PM
This is a terrible loss.

Taurus_9mm
May 30, 2011, 12:22 AM
My deepest sympathies and condolences to Mr. Camp's family, may God rest his soul., amen.

SouthronBoy
May 30, 2011, 01:15 AM
This is very sad news. Mr. Camp was a class act. He will be missed.

sixgunner455
May 30, 2011, 01:17 AM
A true gentleman, and one of my absolute favorite people. Always courteous to a fault, and his advice and writings have always been invaluable. Lead to my purchase of a CZ 9mm, and contributed to my return to my lifelong love of K Frame S&W. Much more importantly, his influence in making sound, logical, well-considered choices in all aspects of life will always be appreciated.

Very sad to hear of this.

Big Mike
May 30, 2011, 02:06 AM
Reading what Mr. Camp wrote was always like reading something from a trusted friend. My prayers to his family. He will be missed.

hacksaw
May 30, 2011, 03:38 AM
While I dont have the post count of many on this board I have come to respect a "core" group of posters.

Mr Camp was at the heart of that core.

Hopefully there is one on this earth who will look at the BHP and come to love it the way he did. Hopefully this one also will enjoy intelligent discourse and "passing on"

Fair winds and following seas..

SFsc616171
May 30, 2011, 10:14 AM
Mr. Camp's published writings are among those that have both influenced and taught me through the years. It was his writings that spurred me to obtain my first Browning (a MkII) Hi-Power. Now, may his writings be in stone as are those by our foregone brethren writers of 'manuals of arms'. I suggest that a Browning Hi-Power be adorned in a salutory fashion, and images of said piece, be framed in taste and distributed.
Ave, Stephen Camp.

Pilot
May 30, 2011, 10:35 AM
A tragic loss for sure. I was always impressed with his classiness and intelligent, well thought out range reports and gun reviews. I also remember when someone called him "Clueless Emeritus" and like the gentleman he was he adopted that as his tagline.

What a good guy. He will be missed.

Shear_stress
May 30, 2011, 10:38 AM
I've corresponded with Mr. Camp a couple of times and found him beyond helpful. The firearms world has lost a true asset and advocate.

Joshua M. Smith
May 30, 2011, 01:48 PM
Thanks to Sheriff Benny for giving this to me:

Stephen Allen Camp

Stephen Allen Camp, 59, of Krum passed away on Friday, May 27, 2011.Steve was born on June 18, 1951, in Fort Worth, TX to Cecil and Taloma Camp. He married Sandy Bailey on August 26, 1999.As a young man Steve became a believer in Jesus Christ at Birdville Baptist Church in Haltom City, Texas.

Steve retired in 1998 from the Denton Police Department after 25 years of loyal and very dedicated service. He left a special legacy at the PD, and many of the people there remember him with love and respect. He left a piece of himself at the Police Department that will remain forever in the hearts of all who knew him. He definitely touched their lives in a very special way.

He had a passion for guns that was legendary. Target practice was a part of his daily life, and he was known as the premier expert on the Browning Hi Power. Many people sought his advice and he was always willing to give of himself to explain anything asked of him, answering emails from perfect strangers on a daily basis. Steve was an accomplished writer who could always express himself very eloquently on paper. After he retired, he started writing manuals about his beloved firearms. He was a self-published author who wrote four gun-related books that were very well received in the gun community. He even wrote one novel that impresses everyone who reads it. He was a very talented man.

Steve lived his life by a strict moral code and expected others to do the same. He could be rigid and uncompromising at times, but he was the most giving, loving, decent man who ever lived. You always knew where you stood with Steve because he would tell you. Everyone who knew him loved him and wanted to be his friend, because Steve was true-blue and always there for those he cared about.

He is survived by his wife, Sandy Camp; mother, Taloma Camp; mother-in-law, Florence Boehnemann; sister, Jan Clifton and husband Tommy; sister-in-law Kathie Boehnemann; niece, Kim Bolton and husband J J; nephew, Clint Jarrett and wife Jinelle; nephew, Stephen Boehnemann and wife Eve; niece, Lauren Hadley and husband Josh; and many other aunts, uncles, cousins and loyal friends.

He was preceded in death by his father, Cecil Camp; father-in-law, Delphine Boehnemann; and brother-in-law, Larry Boehnemann.

Visitation will be in Denton at DeBerry Funeral Directors, 2025 W University, on Tuesday, May 31, from 6:00 to 8:00 pm.

Services will be held at 10:30 am on Wednesday, June 1, at the First United Methodist Church of Denton located at 201 S Locust.

Memorials: Denton Police Officers Association, PO Box 5103, Denton, TX, 76205.

I did find a link, which I had probably better include: http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/drc/obituaries/stories/DRC_obits_0530.36ead8fda.html

(The paper has a picture of Mr. Camp, but if you have your own you'd like to post, feel free. I have some of his younger days as an officer someplace on the computer, and will hunt them up a bit later. As for now, I have many, many boards I have to visit with this.)

Thanks folks,

Josh

ArfinGreebly
May 30, 2011, 04:12 PM
I really dunno what to say.

The man was an icon.

He was an actual expert in his field, a man whose intellectual coin was always worth of its face value.

He personified "The High Road" as a matter of dignity and bearing.

Where we are the poorer for his loss, Valhalla welcomes him home.

RIP, Mr. Camp.

Walt Sherrill
May 30, 2011, 04:59 PM
A kind man and a gentleman. He will be missed.

Legionnaire
May 30, 2011, 11:05 PM
My condolences to his family. Mr. Camp will be missed. Salute.

RockyMtnTactical
May 30, 2011, 11:46 PM
Absolutely terrible news!! :(

His writings on guns have been very influential on me. I am extremely saddened by his passing.

Rexster
May 31, 2011, 12:06 AM
Rest in peace.

Prayer send for his family.

My condolences to those who knew him.

DCortez
May 31, 2011, 12:16 AM
Sad day for the Texas gun community.

ddc
May 31, 2011, 12:23 AM
I still remember "meeting" him back on the old fnhipower forum.

A real gentleman. He was always very polite, dignified even.

They don't make 'em like that much any more.

I'm going to miss him.

Texas1911A1
May 31, 2011, 01:13 AM
Mr. Camp shared his articles with my forum and was a member from year one ... the Texas community along with the American gun community have lost a tremendously positive person.

This world we live in can't afford to lose good people.

gbw
May 31, 2011, 01:27 AM
Like most, I didn't know him. I'm still stunned by this. I feel like I've lost a teacher and friend, like we all have.
Condolences to his love ones, they were lucky to have him.
Rest in peace, Mr. Camp.

Best,

wow6599
May 31, 2011, 01:30 AM
Not much to add that hasn't already been said. Hopefully they have a BHP for him in heaven. Too young and very sad...........

JohnBT
May 31, 2011, 09:10 AM
I saw the news on another forum at the crack of dawn Sunday and I'm still in shock. What a loss. And he was a young man (younger than me anyway by a year or so.)

RIP Mr. C.

FullEffect1911
May 31, 2011, 09:23 AM
Very sad news, my condolences to his family.

Paul Kersey
May 31, 2011, 09:41 AM
If more people conducted themselves on the internet like Mr. Camp did, it would be a far more enjoyable place.

Vanguard.45
May 31, 2011, 11:20 AM
As many have said, he came across, first and foremost, as a gentleman eager to share his knowledge and wisdom gained from a lifetime of learning!

I bought several BHPs as a result of his reasoned arguments in their favor!

Thanks, Mr. Camp, for your contributions to this community and nation!

Condolences to the Camp family.

Jim Sams

Trebor
May 31, 2011, 01:46 PM
I'm stunned, I can't believe he's gone.

I never met him in person, but felt like I knew him through his writings and the messages and e-mails we exchanged.

I always listened to what he had to say because he always knew what he was talking about. He was always helpful and polite and willing to go the extra step to help someone out.

My condolences to his family and friends.

coffinhandler
May 31, 2011, 02:15 PM
My condolences to the Camp family. He was a terrific person, caring and humble, and always willing to offer his help to anyone who needed it. I will always remember him when I take out one of my Hi Powers.

SSN Vet
May 31, 2011, 03:03 PM
I corresponded with Mr. Camp on his blog some time ago and he was very helpful and generous with his considerable knowledge.

To me, he typifies the best that the shooting sports community (and after reading his bio. I'll add America) has to offer.

Saying a prayer for his family.

Shawn Dodson
May 31, 2011, 07:13 PM
I'm very sad to learn of Stephen's passing. He had such an even keel disposition and a dry sense of humor. I knew him only through discussion boards. He was a great writer and very thorough and fair in his gun reviews. All in all he was just a really good guy. The shooting community has experienced an enormous loss. I'll miss him.

Java51
May 31, 2011, 08:44 PM
Truly a gentleman in every sense of the word.

DMAW1010
May 31, 2011, 08:55 PM

Marshall
May 31, 2011, 10:05 PM
I'm very saddened to learn of his passing.

Rest in peace Mr. Camp. Thank you for all you have done.

CWL
May 31, 2011, 11:50 PM
RIP Stephen, another Good Guy, gone too soon.

Safety First
June 1, 2011, 12:06 AM
Prayers and Condolences to his family... The High Roads folks will miss him.....

jfh
June 1, 2011, 12:12 AM
CWL seems to me to have hit it right: "another good guy, gone too soon."

Jim H.

shepsan
June 1, 2011, 08:06 AM
Stephen A. Camp exemplified class and dignity. He was a gentleman and remarkable educator teaching many of us to be better and safer gun handlers. He did so without patronizing or ridicule in his writings.

I am indebted to him for what he has meant to me as a gun enthusiast. May he rest in peace and may his family be comforted by the outpouring of sincere praise from those who have responded to the news of his death.

It is with gratitude and high esteem that I sadly say farewell to him.

Maurice Shapiro

rdrancher
June 1, 2011, 11:41 AM
Mr. Camp was the reason I bought a BHP. He personally answered all of my questions promptly with insight and sincerity. He lived only a few miles from my home, yet we never met in person. He will be greatly missed.

rd

texascarl
June 1, 2011, 07:52 PM
My condolences to friends and family. I always admired his work.

solvability
June 1, 2011, 11:55 PM
Very sad news - my best to his family - he left his mark and it was a damn fine one too.

DAdams
June 2, 2011, 04:25 PM
My condolences to the family. Many hours I spent garnering firearms knowledge put forth by Stephen Camp.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/

czhen
June 2, 2011, 10:49 PM
My condolences to his family a friends. A very sad news, a true lost for us in all aspects. I had read many of his post since I became a member years ago, in others forums and his site from his very beginning. A teaching lesson in every post in every thought.

Mr. Camps thanks for sharing with us your knowledge.

Henry S.
Florida

Beetle Bailey
June 3, 2011, 02:19 AM
Reading his prose over the years, it was obvious to me Mr. Camp was a true gentleman. When I purchased a used BHP a few years ago, it actually came with a copy of Mr. Camp's book. RIP

Janos Dracwlya
June 5, 2011, 01:51 AM
I enjoyed his posts and I read articles on his site quite a number of times. I learned a lot from both.

It makes me sad even though I didn't know him personally.

Joshua M. Smith
June 5, 2011, 12:07 PM
Mod Edit: Story link repaired.
http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/drc/opinion/columns/stories/DRC_fielder_0605.38c331eac.html

Donna Fielder: Stories of Camp help ease the pain
(http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/drc/opinion/columns/stories/DRC_fielder_0605.38c331eac.html)
12:17 AM CDT on Sunday, June 5, 2011

—CREDIT—
Donna Fielder

He called me “the harpy of the media.” I was never sure what he meant by that, but I was positive that he meant it in the nicest possible way.

Many years ago, Denton police Sgt. Steve Camp befriended a reporter and trusted her. And by doing so, he signaled to all those who respected and trusted him that she must be OK.

It was back in the old days of the police department, when a recalcitrant dispatcher didn’t want to hand over an activity sheet for me to look at. “If Donna says it’s public record, then it’s public record,” the sergeant told her. “Now give her the clipboard.”

“Steve Camp was my friend.” I heard those words a lot last week and everyone who said them was proud. He was a man who commanded respect just by living an honest, upright life. Last week, at age 59, he unexpectedly left that life — his adored wife, Sandy, and his friends to somehow struggle through without him.

There was shock and disbelief. There was grief. But everywhere his friends gathered, the “Camp” stories began.

No more serious man would you ever meet if you were the complainant or, heaven help you, the suspect he was focusing on at the time. He was tough and smart and he didn’t put up with much from the bad guys. He was unit leader of the tactical team, and he was an expert with weapons. He wrote books about guns and self-defense after he retired from the department a few years ago. He was never without a gun of one sort or another. He relied on the belief that the best defense was a Browning Hi Power.

He wasn’t afraid of anything, except, well, spiders and snakes. Finding rubber snakes in unexpected places was pretty standard for Steve, but the person who scared him paid in kind later. Jeff Wawro remembers a defensive driving course when his police sergeant at the time was threading a squad car through a line of cones he was supposed to avoid. Jeff tossed a rubber spider though the open car window. The spider bounced off Steve’s head, danced on the steering wheel and landed in Steve’s lap. The car did a 360-degree spin, knocking down every cone. Jeff started running even before the door burst open and his maddened supervisor leapt out after him.

For a while I met each morning to read reports at the police department with Lt. Loyd Burns. Most mornings he would check his voicemail and share one message with me. It was a duet, sung by the two deep-night sergeants. Bill Knight and Steve Camp serenaded him on their way off shift.

Steve and his friends Art Behrens and John Lassiter taught the first concealed-carry license class in Denton County, and I was a member of that class. Steve was beside me when I qualified at the range. My aim was good, but my fingers weren’t strong enough for quickly reloading a magazine. Somehow, every time I needed a fresh clip, one was there waiting for me.

Steve invited me to range get-togethers with some of the best shooters in the police department. Because Steve thought I was all right, they let me fire their specialized weapons. He introduced me to his friend Ray Meckel, who allowed me to shoot some great firearms, including a Tommy gun.

They let me in on some of their jokes. I learned about Pigbert, the 250-pound concrete pig-deer hybrid they all delighted in leaving in some hapless friend’s front yard until they paid a ransom to have him removed.

Pigbert showed up in my yard one Christmas morning, sporting a red nose and leading my flock of pink flamingos pulling a sleigh. But all I had to do to send Pigbert scampering out of my yard was threaten to paint him hot pink. Pink was not considered a manly color by Pigbert’s owners.

They told “Camp” stories at his funeral Wednesday. His lifelong friend Russell Lewis described his lack of a “tidy” gene. His good friend Paul Abbott held up well while he told his “Camp” stories, but his voice broke on his last words. “Goodbye Stevie,” he said.

Former dispatcher Ida Bonaparte spun a fantasy about Steve reaching the Pearly Gates. St. Peter went to God to tell him that Sgt. Camp had arrived. God allowed that he had been expecting him. He was on the list. Just let him in, God told St. Peter.

“You don’t understand,” the angel replied. “He says if he can’t bring his gun in, he’s not coming.”

Whether we knew him or not, we all suffered a loss last week with the death of a fine lifelong public servant. Steve Camp was a man’s man. He was a cop’s cop. He was a good friend. I’m proud that he was my friend.

DONNA FIELDER can be reached at 940-566-6885. Her e-mail address is dfielder@dentonrc.com.

Sheriff Benny posted the above found in the local paper.

Thanks,

Josh

bigmike45
June 5, 2011, 03:58 PM
Steve was a fine man and an inspiration to us all. Always willing to freely give his knowledge to help his fellow man....and never requiring anything in return. His honesty and candor will be missed. He was cut from a fabric that we should all try to weave ourselves into and I for one am a better person for knowing and communicating with him.
Rest in Peace Mr. Camp!!! We will do our best to honor your memory in how we conduct ourselves in life and on the range.

bigmike45

rklessdriver
June 6, 2011, 09:04 AM
Mr. Camps passing is a loss for the firearms community.

My condolences and prayers to his family.
Will

threefeathers
June 8, 2011, 04:26 PM
In honor of Stephen A. Camp who recently passed away.

SwampWolf
June 8, 2011, 08:44 PM
It's hard to understand how it's feasible to grieve for someone you've never met but, through his writings, correspondences and forum posts, I feel as though I've known Mr. Camp all of my life. A true gentleman in every respect of the word. He will be sorely missed but never forgotten.
My heartfelt condolences to his family and many friends.

trickyasafox
June 8, 2011, 11:27 PM
our community is diminished without him. He was a wonderful writer, and he sounds like he was a good man. I am sad to hear of his passing.

axeman_g
June 10, 2011, 04:51 PM
I never met the man, but I feel as if I lost a friend. My prayers go out to his family.

Hondo 60
June 10, 2011, 11:55 PM
The Hi Powers & Handguns website was quite the treasure trove when I first started researching guns online.

He will be sorely missed.

.455_Hunter
June 14, 2011, 01:15 AM
Very sad!

I have learned much from Mr. Camp's website over the past five years or so. In fact, many Google image searches for shooting topics like "xtp expansion" feature results from his site.

Has there been any discussion by people "in the know" about maintaining or transferring ownership of www.hipowersandhandguns.com?

It would be a huge double loss for the shooting community if such a wealth of information was allowed to simply disappear when the domain registration expires...

md7
June 15, 2011, 06:08 PM
I never met Mr. Camp, but always valued his input here. His family will be in my prayers.

Joshua M. Smith
June 16, 2011, 07:34 AM
.455 Hunter,

I built my forum on Mr. Camp's blueprints, and he and I ran it together.

Since his death, I've been in touch with Mrs. Camp. She is still publishing Mr. Camp's works for all who want them, and will continue to do so as long as there are orders to fill.

Additionally, the website will remain in her name.

I have had to talk with a few folks who were already circling like sharks, planning to buy when she had not offered to sell.

I have talked with those I know of. If you happen to hear of any more who are planning to try to take possession, please PM me here and I'll get on it.

As Mrs. Camp is still in mourning, the last thing she needs to deal with are unscrupulous folks trying to take advantage of the situation. It makes me beyond angry that they should even try it.

The site and works will be maintained. There are plenty of us who can promise that. We owe too much to Mr. Camp, and to the great woman behind the great man.

I hope this answers your questions, Sir.

Thanks for asking!

Josh

KodiakBeer
June 16, 2011, 01:19 PM
Josh, thanks for helping to keep Stephens legacy alive. It means a lot to so many of us.

Derek Zeanah
June 16, 2011, 01:48 PM
The site and works will be maintained. There are plenty of us who can promise that. We owe too much to Mr. Camp, and to the great woman behind the great man.
If you need hosting I'll provide it gratis.

I generally don't comment in these threads as I never know what to say. We lost a truly good guy.

Joshua M. Smith
June 16, 2011, 06:53 PM
Derek,

Thank you Sir.

I will pass the word along to Mrs. Camp.

Josh

Ridgerunner665
November 2, 2011, 03:47 AM
I don't know how I missed this...I never actually met Stephen, but we talked on the forums quite a lot...never knew a nicer guy in my life.

If you enjoyed reading about "Stephen Camp dead at 59" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!