bad sight on my Remmy

PDA

Macgille
May 29, 2011, 03:49 AM
I've never had a gun with sights this bad before. My Uberti 1858 Remington will group nicely at 15 yards (about 3-5 inch groups). The problem is that the groups are 8 inches to the right and about a foot high. I ordered and installed a new taller front sight but it still shoots high. The barrel seems to be installed correctly and the gun is tight and fairly precise. But, in a gunfight I would have to aim at my opponents right side holster to get a hit center mass. I use black powder (30 gr.) a thick lubricated wad and a .451 round ball. If anyone out there can tell me how to correct this problem I would be grateful.

If you enjoyed reading about "bad sight on my Remmy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
arcticap
May 29, 2011, 06:28 AM
Drifting the front sight further to the right will move the point of impact left.

45-70 Ranger
May 29, 2011, 10:58 AM
Got a Pietta that does just the opposite. Hits low left. I just learned to live with it and adjust my point of aim.

Wade

BHP FAN
May 29, 2011, 01:51 PM
Arcticap got it in one. Uberti's usually have a driftable front sight and if this is the case you need only to move the front sight [I]opposite the direction you want your shot to fall. if you were working on a Colt, you would file the hammer notch in the direction you wanted the shot to fall.

Macgille
June 1, 2011, 05:03 PM
Front sight is a round post with flats. It is soldered in.

StrawHat
June 2, 2011, 09:00 AM
Very easy to replace with a dovetailed sight.

RaceM
June 2, 2011, 12:57 PM
Try decreasing your powder charge to 20 or 25 grains.

RugerMcMarlin
June 2, 2011, 08:26 PM
this might be a dumb question, was dumb question, thats a solid frame isn't it.

Otherwise file inside left of rear sight notch on frame. and left side flat on front sight

If you enjoyed reading about "bad sight on my Remmy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!