CZ-83

PDA

txgunsuscg
May 29, 2011, 06:55 AM
Anyone have experience with the surplus CZ-83s that are hitting the market right now? I have seen them going for anything from $150 to $300. I am looking for a good .380 for easy concealed carry. The three options I considered were the 83, PPK/S, and P232, all used.

If you enjoyed reading about "CZ-83" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Usmc-1
May 29, 2011, 09:39 AM
I too am looking primarily 380 , but am looking at the Bersa Thunder , PPK and Kahr , I dont know much about the cz-83 , I am planning on getting the CZ-82 9x18 , thats a "bucket list" purchase ! Im seriously liking the Thunder , the feel of it (ppks are nice) the price is what sets the Bersa apart from Walther , basically a clone of it , for far cheaper price , but who knows ! Tell me about the cz-83 ,is it the same size as the 82 (besides rounds)?

txgunsuscg
May 29, 2011, 10:04 AM
From my research, the 83 is just a .380 vs. 9x18 version of the 82. They even use the same mag.

larryflew
May 29, 2011, 11:21 AM
TX is correct. The 83 comes in .380 and .32. The 83 in .380 is the same mag as the 82 in Mak. Either are likely to be heavier than your other considerations. The surplus ones seem to have more holster wear than shooting wear.

How bad can they be they are CZ after all :)

txgunsuscg
May 29, 2011, 12:25 PM
After doing some research, I would consider the 82 as well, because of the slightly more powerful 9mm Mak round. I suppose that opens up the Makarov (the Bulgarian imports look pretty nice). One thing I am trying to determine: do either of these guns have a decock? The Mak appears to, but is the 82 the same as the 75 series (where you either hand lower the hammer or carry cocked and locked)?

Walkalong
May 29, 2011, 12:36 PM
I just bought a CZ 83 in .32 ACP off Auction Arms Friday AM for $239 & $10 shipping. I will know pretty soon.

I picked up one of the surplus Beretta 81's in .32 ACP locally not long ago. Some wear and dings on the outside, but internally like new, including the bore. I love it. Thread here. (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=592870)

I hope it is the same with the CZ, carried and handled plenty, but not shot much. :)

bigfatdave
May 29, 2011, 01:55 PM
CZ 82/83 do NOT have a decock feature, they are set up to carry safety lever down (=off) and DA/SA operation or cocked and locked with all SA operation*. The thumb safety lever is easily operated up or down, but it only goes up (="safe") if the hammer is cocked.
* (barring dud rounds)

Personally, I'd go with the C&L route if you're used to a frame-mounted, down-for-fire, thumb-operated lever, like I am. If your training and muscle memory are set up for DA/SA, then go that way and remember to take all needed precautions lowering the hammer on a live round, which is fairly easy with the hammer design on my 82, even if it isn't a practice I engage in without a safe backstop.

The CZ82 is probably the best deal in surplus handguns right now, I'd pick one up along with a case of ammo** and some spare magazines.

** (hell, if I had it to do over again, I'd have just bought all Silver Bear, the JHP is cheap enough to plink with)

Walkalong
May 29, 2011, 02:23 PM
CZ 82/83 do NOT have a decock feature, they are set up to carry safety lever down (=off) and DA/SA operation or cocked and locked with all SA operation*A big plus in my book.

toivo
May 29, 2011, 03:02 PM
From my research, the 83 is just a .380 vs. 9x18 version of the 82.
Almost. The surplus 83 has a matte blue finish instead of the painted finish of the 82, and it has conventional rifling instead of the 82's polygonal. Other than that and the chambering, they are the same.

EDIT TO ADD: I agree with bigfatdave that the 82 is the best deal because you can get cheap ammo online: Silver Bear all the way, although your fingers will get dirty loading your magazines. (What's up with that?) On the other hand, if you run out of 9x18, you won't find it in Wal-Mart or Dick's Sports.

EAJ
May 29, 2011, 03:07 PM
I have one in satin nickel and one in glossy blue. It's a fine pistol, with 12-round mag, however given its size and weight, I would look at a comparable 9mm, many of which exist, for CCW.

http://www.fishkind.com/collection/images/cz83_01.jpg

Furncliff
May 29, 2011, 03:49 PM
I bought a CZ 82 off GB last year that had a Duracoat paint job on it. The coating is holding up well. I had to send the gun back to CZ for some work. It runs like a watch now and the women in my family like it a lot. If I carried, this would be my choice, even though I regularly shoot a few 9's and a 1911. The ergonomics are excellent the gun is reliable and I like the weight and size. Mine has a VERY good trigger. It's a very nice package, CZ makes good stuff.

PRM
May 29, 2011, 03:53 PM
I bought a surplus CZ83 from Cole Distributing, Scottsville, Ky a few years back off the internet. They hand picked my gun. Even sent pics for my approval before I sent payment. My gun was sold as a police trade-in. When it came it was a strong 99% and has been one of the best gun buys I have made. It has been flawless with every type of HP/FMJ I have shot through it. Very accurate and I agree with other post that its ergonomics is off the scale. Excellent choice for CC.

txgunsuscg
May 29, 2011, 05:37 PM
Got a lot of advocates for the 82 on here. I do love CZs. I have one of the Pre-Bs and an 85. Since they are going for about the same price right now, would you go Mak or 82?

Furncliff
May 29, 2011, 06:12 PM
I had the opportunity to buy a Russian Makarov and I was sorely tempted, it was thinner and felt great in my hand. But as it turned out in the end the 82 I bought has a better trigger, that means a lot to me.

CZguy
May 29, 2011, 11:00 PM
I shoot the CZ 82 accurately. Both of mine have a very nice trigger, and that coupled with their superior ergonomics makes for a pleasant shooting pistol.

However, if it was going to be used as a carry gun, I would find a set of those ultra thin wood grips, as the standard plastic grips are kinda wide for concealed carry.

labhound
May 30, 2011, 03:19 AM
I have a CZ 83. Excellent gun, great ergonomics, very reliable, very accurate and a great trigger. The safety is very easy to flick off and on, so much so that I'd be leery to carry it cocked and locked, considering what an easy trigger pull it has. When I carry it with a round chambered, I do so with the gun decocked, first shot being DA.

bigfatdave
May 30, 2011, 09:21 AM
The safety is very easy to flick off and on, so much so that I'd be leery to carry it cocked and lockedYou could always get a holster that maintains the safety lever in the desired position

armarsh
May 30, 2011, 11:18 PM
I like my CZ82's. 7 yards non supported. 95 grain Berry's PLRN and 3.8 grains of Green dot. 12 shots.

Go ahead and get an 82 or 83. You will not be disappointed.

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt174/armarsh/P5300001.jpg

Stringfellow
May 31, 2011, 12:13 AM
The '82 is a very versatile pistol. Excellent trigger, built like a tank, very accurate, comfortable to shoot, very thin (.82 at the slide, about 1.05 at the grip), fires relatively cheap ammo. But it is heavy by modern standards ~28 oz .

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy117/Mr_Stringfellow_Hawke/IMGP1099-1.jpg Pretty easy to refinish, and there are some good deals on grips for it.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy117/Mr_Stringfellow_Hawke/IMGP1109.jpg I am still waiting on truly thin grips though...

Absolutely can't go wrong for the price.

CharlesT
May 31, 2011, 01:48 AM
I LOVE my CZ-82 it is very fun to shoot. .22 caliber recoil for my hands. FAST single action for follow up shots. CCW material through and through

Best part?

Throw some C7-75 sights on there. (They fit)

Wait, I forgot. Best part?

Hornandy makes some HUGE hollow points that feed beautifully through it.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5306/5603947807_877a270665_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5267/5604530226_f3d97ca002_z.jpg

Shadow 7D
May 31, 2011, 04:36 AM
Yeah, I'd go for the 82 right now, inexpensive ammo, inexpensive gun, LOTS of parts,
Best of all, easy and ACCURATE shooter.

agtman
May 31, 2011, 06:28 PM
Ditto Stringfellow's comments on the CZ 82 in 9mm Mak ...

Mine.
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo166/agtman/CZ6.jpg

Mak ammo is relatively cheap and, for me, the little 9x18 has become one of those odd ball cartridges I enjoy reloading for, though I couldn't tell you why. In a short time I was able to dail-in a very accurate range load using Berry's 95gn RN bullet and Bullseye. :) Happy times.

On mine we got rid of the cracking Commie paint and refinished it using KG GunKote (in "MultiCam" - OD Green & FDE). We also re-did the sights with contrasting colors: front rectangle in red; rear two-dot sight in white. Now you have sights you can see and pick up quickly when firing fast. I'd thought about aftermarket grips, but instead stuck with cleaning up and refinishing the factory grips in black.

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo166/agtman/CZ3.jpg

Now, in addition to being a very accurate little shooter, the looks of this Multi-Cam-ed 82 are sufficiently distinctive to ensure attention at the range.

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo166/agtman/CZ2.jpg

:cool:

harmon rabb
May 31, 2011, 10:21 PM
screw the 83, just get an 82. same gun, a bit more power, cheaper ammo. reliable, accurate, easily concealable, great trigger... what more do you want? by far, the highest quality and most advanced gun for the price.

a cz82 is barely more than a hi point these days... and thats like comparing a classic porsche to a pinto with a glass pack.

CZguy
May 31, 2011, 10:51 PM
a cz82 is barely more than a hi point these days... and thats like comparing a classic porsche to a pinto with a glass pack.

I just about choked on ice water over the pinto line. Good analogy.

I have two CZ-82s in use as car guns.......but some of these refinishing jobs have got me thinking. :)

harmon rabb
June 1, 2011, 08:14 AM
I just about choked on ice water over the pinto line. Good analogy.

:D it's so true. it will be a sad, sad day when all this comm bloc surplus dries up.

I have two CZ-82s in use as car guns.......but some of these refinishing jobs have got me thinking

I'm going to go ahead and say it -- I don't think the cz-82 is a very good looking gun. Great little pistol, but she's definitely not the prettiest girl at the dance. So, refinishing jobs that try to make them pretty seem a little wasted to me. Practical refinishing jobs on them are appealing, though, as is swapping on some nicer sights.

rikman
June 1, 2011, 07:33 PM
Love mine, super Accurate! Fun to shoot, plan to reload for my CZ82

Jesse Heywood
June 1, 2011, 08:26 PM
I picked up a CZ-83 in .380 yesterday. Friend and I bought a pair from Century Arms. Total cost shipped was $434.74. Guns were both in very good condition with bright shiny bores, sharp rifling and one magazine. Century did not have mags for sale.

As for the differences between the 82 & 83 I found this
Quote from: makarovdotcom on gunboards

Differances between CZ82 Miliary Pistol and CZ83:

Sights - Plain black sights upgraded on second Gen CZ82's to higher, Phosphours (sp?) glow in the dark sights, this was carried over to CZ83 production. First Gen CZ82 has solid pin retaining front Sight, Sec Gen and CZ83 has roll pin. Sec Gen CZ82 has ramped front sight, CZ83 has Dot front sight or Ramped front sight, depending on Model / Caliber.

Finish - First Gen CZ82's were par'ed, Second Gen were Black Poly Coated. This was carried over to CZ83 with the addition of Blued or Satin Nickel as an option.

Triggerguard - All CZ82's have round triggerguards, MOST CZ83's have squared triggerguard with grooved face.

Magazine release - First Gen CZ82 had mag release that pushed from left to right, Sec Gen and all CZ83's have ambidex. Mag release.

Grip Screws - CZ82 has slot head grip screw, CZ83 has phillips head grip screw.

Trigger Spring Retainer Pin - First Gen CZ82 has solid pin, Sec Gen CZ82 and CZ83 has roll pin.

Markings - CZ82 is Marked "CZ m.82, Czech Republic" Military acceptance mark, proof mark, Serial Number and year of production. CZ83 is Marked "CZ83" , Caliber, Proof mark, Serial Number, and CZ logo. Both normally have an importers stamp if bought in the USA.

CZ82 has Lanyard ring at bottom of grip, behind magazine well, CZ83 has none.

CZ82 was only produced in 9x18 Makarov Caliber. CZ83 was produced in 9x18 Makarov, .380 ACP (aka 9mm Kurtz) and .32 ACP (aka 7.65 Browning)

The CZ82 was issued with a spare magazine, steel cleaning rod, lanyard, and Holster.
The CZ82 was sold with spare magazine, plastic Cleaning rod type thingy, snap caps, book, trigger lock, and hard plastic storage case.

The CZ83 will normally purr when rubbed along the top of the sight rib, the CZ82 is very quite, and does not produce noise unless fired.....ok I made the last one up.

toivo
June 1, 2011, 08:58 PM
The CZ82 was sold with spare magazine, plastic Cleaning rod type thingy, snap caps, book, trigger lock, and hard plastic storage case.

I think they mean "CZ-83" there. Also, some of what they say about the CZ-83 is about the commercial variant only. There is also a milsurp 83 (J&G sells them) that is more similar to the 82, with round trigger guard and slot-head grip screw. Also, I don't think I've even seen a polycoated 83: just matte blue (milsurp), gloss blue, and matte nickel. Not saying they don't exist, just that I've never seen one.

txgunsuscg
June 10, 2011, 04:33 PM
Got my CZ-82 from the gunshop today. As a 82 noob, I have a couple of relatively dumb questions:

1. I don't see any rifling in the barrel. I have been told that the 82 has polygonal rifling, and as such, I shouldn't see any rifling, but I just wanted to double check.

2. When I do a function check, I start in single action, pull and hold the trigger, and cycle the slide by hand. The hammer does not go back to single action. Instead, it falls against what I assume is an intercept notch. Is this normal? I thought with DA/SA pistols, the hammer would stay back even with the trigger pulled, then the trigger would reset and be ready to go......

Onmilo
June 10, 2011, 06:09 PM
1. The polygonal rifling is pressed into the bore and does not appear as spiral grooves.
This type of rifling does wear a bit faster than conventional rifling and this wear factor is one of the reasons the Czechs converted to conventional rifling on the CZ-83
2. Not normal, the disconnector is not functioning correctly.
CZ-USA will repair this defect for a nominal fee.

usp9
June 10, 2011, 06:35 PM
As for the differences between the 82 & 83 I found this

Another difference; CZ changed the small spring on the slide release lever. The old CZ82 spring had a tendency to fall out. The newer spring is held more firmly and is much less prone to fail.

2. When I do a function check..,

The trigger sear is prone to wear and fail. Replacement is possible but is a pain in the rear to do, IMHO.

This type of rifling does wear a bit faster than conventional rifling and this wear factor is one of the reasons the Czechs converted to conventional rifling on the CZ-83

That's not quite accurate. The CZ83 in 9mm Mak was still produced with a polygonal bore.

tercel89
June 10, 2011, 09:52 PM
tagged

Walkalong
June 10, 2011, 10:10 PM
Mine came in.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=143422&d=1307197469

txgunsuscg
June 11, 2011, 07:53 AM
Very nice! Mine is in a little rougher shape, but I'll probably get it Gun Koted and I'll post when those are done.

usp9
June 13, 2011, 09:17 AM
Walkalong,

Beware; the .32acp CZ83 is prone to rimlock. I found this occured more with standard U.S. produced ammo than European ammo. I had best results with S&B ball. The cavernous 15 round magazine allows the rounds to shift. CZ changed the mag design to prevent this. If the rear side of the mag is smooth, you may have trouble. If the panel has a shallow indent, you have the newer, modified, mag.

I really enjoyed my .32 CZ. It was accurate, very soft to shoot and, outside of the rimlock problem, proved reliable.

toivo
June 13, 2011, 12:04 PM
Beware the .32acp CZ83 is prone to rimlock.
I don't have any experience with the CZ83 in .32, but I do know that the .32 tends to rimlock more when the rounds have a shorter OAL, such as with hollowpoints or flatnose bullets. Kel-Tec even makes a magazine adapter for using these types of ammo. Unfortunately, the only .32 available in most of the stores near me (Dick's, Sports Authority, Wal-Mart) is the flatnose Winchester White Box, so I have the adapter in one of my Kel-Tec magazines.

Walkalong
June 13, 2011, 01:54 PM
I have a Beretta 81 and have had no problems with rimlock. I haven't shot the CZ 83 much, yet, but so far, so good. :)

Onmilo
June 13, 2011, 05:43 PM
Current 7.65 magazine on left, older style on the right, see the difference?
http://fototime.com/F645AFBD3130C1E/standard.jpg
The 7.65 magazines are NOT interchangeable with the .380 & 9mm Makarov magazines either.
9mm Makarov magazines can be used in .380 and vice versa but you will get best results if you use the specific magazine for the specific caliber. HTH

CZguy
June 13, 2011, 08:49 PM
Thanks for posting that Onmilo

If you enjoyed reading about "CZ-83" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!