How do you convince your significant other that you need a certain gun?

PDA

crystalrose
May 30, 2011, 09:53 PM
So after a few visits to various gun shops and shows, and going shooting I have found that I like my boyfriend's glock 23, but what I really love is the Kimber 1911.... Only good things have been said to me about that gun and i think it is a beautiful speciman.... my boyfriend told me currently he cannot justify the expense of a Kimber 1911, but I really want one, so this is where I need everyones help how to convince him to buy one so I can shoot it. We are planning on getting married one day, well I'm making him propose by December. Oh on a side-by-side I shot his Ruger P345 .45 auto and I fired 15 rounds and got 13 out of 15 on the target at 5 yards.

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you convince your significant other that you need a certain gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sky
May 30, 2011, 09:56 PM
Good luck with both endeavors; if he shoots one and does not fall in love with it then you might have a heavy load to push up the hill?

hirundo82
May 30, 2011, 10:01 PM
Have him buy you an engagement gun instead of an engagement ring.

But seriously, is there a reason you can't just buy it for yourself?

Mags
May 30, 2011, 10:03 PM
I say honey " I want so and so". She says "ok". What's the big deal?

El Mariachi
May 30, 2011, 10:05 PM
Ruger SR1911? I hear they're all the rage as wedding gifts this year.......

Robert
May 30, 2011, 10:05 PM
currently he cannot justify the expense
Sounds like a very mature adult response to me. Just because we want something does not mean we get it right now. Maybe save up what you can and buy it a little later down the road.

May 30, 2011, 10:19 PM
This thread makes me laugh. I'd happily buy a Kimber for a girlfriend, heck, an Ed Brown or two for the right woman ... but I'd probably be grumbling the whole way to the gun shop if she wanted a Glock!!

Out of interest, what model of Kimber do you want?

Diamondback6
May 30, 2011, 10:24 PM
Maybe try a lower-cost but still quality 1911 and "step up" to the Kimber when y'all're better off?

Granted, this is a lot easier for those of us who prefer "plain ol' GI MilSpec look", with the Springfield, Auto-Ordnance and High Standard GI 1911's all being among the more affordable options for the platform...

Aiko492
May 30, 2011, 10:47 PM
Your boyfriend has no idea how lucky he is. I would buy my wife 5 1911's if it would get her more excited (hint less anti) about my shooting/carrying.

And yes....you do have the power if you choose to use it :-o

JerryM
May 30, 2011, 10:51 PM
Quote:
currently he cannot justify the expense

Sounds like a very mature adult response to me. Just because we want something does not mean we get it right now. Maybe save up what you can and buy it a little later down the road.

A major problem with our society is that we want instant gratification. It often results in excessive debt that can ruin families.

Stay within your means. Wait until you have the money after you are married. Then when you both agree that you can afford it, buy it.

Regards,
Jerry

ColtPythonElite
May 30, 2011, 11:12 PM
So, you have a dude that you are gonna issue an ultimatum to to "make him propose" by December, want him to buy a gun now that he says he can't afford and want us to tell you how to con him into getting it for you?.

northark147
May 30, 2011, 11:24 PM
Well, as my SO does not "make" me do anything, If I determine I have the budget I go buy what I would like too. As for her, if she wants a gun of a certain type she can A buy it herself, or B do what she normally does and wait for one of those gift type occasions. I agree with the guys who pointed out that the guy sounds responsible. Mine settled for a Taurus, until I get around to getting the SIG she really want's. Which I'm thinking will probably show up around Christmas or anniversary time as of course budget doesn't allow until then. Of course if she would refrain from burning so much ammo in her Taurus, my LC9, and the ARs. I could re route my component budget to make some firearm purchases faster.. lol

Larry Ashcraft
May 30, 2011, 11:24 PM
It may be noticed that a couple of posts have disappeared.

The next idiotic, low road response to this question gets a permanent vacation from THR.

This is NOT a locker room.

She is asking a serious question. Either give a serious high road response or stay completely out of the conversation.

Old krow
May 30, 2011, 11:27 PM

I've paid my dues, so I just just buy it and bring it home. She does the same thing, but, we lived according to what JerryM said in his post. Good advise IMHO.

Tomcat47
May 30, 2011, 11:32 PM
This thread makes me laugh. I'd happily buy a Kimber for a girlfriend, heck, an Ed Brown or two for the right woman ... but I'd probably be grumbling the whole way to the gun shop if she wanted a Glock!!

AMEN!

So, you have a dude that you are gonna issue an ultimatum to to "make him propose" by December, want him to buy a gun now that he says he can't afford and want us to tell you how to con him into getting it for you?.

Sure You Are Not LOoking For A Shotgun? :D

But Seriously! Hope You Get Yourself a Kimber! And Hope You Both Gain The Means To Afford One.

I will Get MeSelf one...one day! I want the Eclipse Pro 2 myself!

I actually Think Kimber Makes Some of the Nicest looking 1911's

Like Above.... Which Model Are You After? There are a Lot of decent 1911's in the Crock!..Oops Glock... Price range.

Taurus PT1911 ( Just Got one of these For Myself and I Love IT! )
Ruger SR1911 ( Relatively New On Market )
RIA ( Hear Good Things? )
And there are plenty others as well... You can probably even nab a Colt for the price of a glock..

IlikeSA
May 31, 2011, 02:31 AM
Well, you aren't married yet, so you can still get what you want. I have several expensive hobbies besides firearms, and sometimes I wish I had bought a canoe before I got married so I'd have one now. If there are things you want, get them while you can, before you have to convince someone else of it.

A few weeks ago, I traded a revolver for a rifle, and my non-gun appreciating wife was a bit concerned. I tried the old "Im trading this itty bitty gun for a much bigger one." She saw through it. Then I told her that my revolver could hit out to 100 yards, with appropriate ammo/skill, but I wasn't that skillful. However...this rifle can reach out to 1000 yards with the right ammo/skill, and is something I was to pursue. She relented eventually, but we had to reach a compromise. Compromise and communication are what marriage is all about. So...the lesson is: if you want something for nothing, get it while you are single. (I love marriage though, please don't get me wrong)

Ruger44mag
May 31, 2011, 03:24 AM
but I'd probably be grumbling the whole way to the gun shop if she wanted a Glock!!

Lol I was thinking the same thing!

Heretic
May 31, 2011, 11:47 AM
+1 to Mags

Chainsaw2
May 31, 2011, 12:25 PM
My wife doesn't ask permission to buy shoes or clothes, and I don't ask if I can buy a gun or related accessories.
jim

stevelyn
May 31, 2011, 12:27 PM
I'm a big kid. I don't have to justify anything to anyone.

jfdavis58
May 31, 2011, 12:44 PM
I'm a little concerned about your desire to have "him buy it so you can shoot it". And what's with his statement about 'not being able to afford it right now'?

Sounds to me like some sort of plan exists and you want him to break his part of the deal as a favor to you.

Whatever, it's your life, live it as you see fit.

Here is what I did when my wife asked for her own gun. I set a little money aside until I could cover the deal, gave her the money and then I took her and made her buy it. She got exactly what she wanted and continues to be very happy with the choice. A few weeks latter I had enough money to get myself a matching copy. so I did.

Maybe your expressed desire has inspired your boyfriend to do something along these same lines. I advise a bit of patience.

JoeMal
May 31, 2011, 12:46 PM
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission

Overkilll0084
May 31, 2011, 12:53 PM
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission
This was my first thought as well. Instant gratification is a wonderful thing. But IMHO, breaking the budget for a gun is irresponsible.
I recommend that you talk to you local gun shop and see if they have a lay away option. Win-Win, you get what you want and the budget stays under control.

MagnumDweeb
May 31, 2011, 12:55 PM
This is my fault. Crystalrose is my girlfriend of one year and six months with something in change. She met me while I was finishing up law school, my ex left me in the first semester of my last year of law school. The current girlfriend and bride-to-be is crystalrose. She stuck by me while I prepared for the Bar, twice, cleaned for me when I needed, cooked for me when I need, loved me when I needed, forgave when I needed, and has been a constant friend and companion all through this crazy time in life. I'm 26 and she's 25. She told me that after two years of being together I had to make a choice of getting married or not. I can't rightly blame her, she's smart for saying, I've seen too many women spend years with guys just to get passed up for the next girl.

Put it simply, she'll shoot with me whenever I want to. If all the bills are getting paid and money is getting put in the bank, I can pretty much buy myself(or herself) a firearm when I want to. If I tell her we have to work together in my carpet-tile-hardwood floor-marble-furniture cleaning business on the weekend to save money up to blow recklessly(because all the money we earn during the week being responsible wage earners goes in the bank) she'll do it. She'll put in a twelve hour day with me moving equipment and dealing with my intense and sometimes sour attitude and still cook me something to eat before I pass out. I've worked 16 hour days and not gotten home till past 10pm at night to find a hot and fresh meal waiting for me. We are still ironing out our relationship and just because we get engaged doesn't mean were in a race to the altar. She just wants some security. We're both too young to be married, but too old not be nowadays. I love her, I want to give her world, and I'm happy she likes shooting.

She said the coolest thing yesterday more or less, "I wish Florida would just get open carry so I could put a Kimber on my hip and not have to carry it in my purse." She understands I'm miserly with my money. She's okay with my concept of "what you earn in one month should pay your bills for two months" as far as savings. My business is growing slowly but growing, and she's intelligent and hardworking enough to manage it and some employees for me when I'm doing my law career full time (which she knows will mean 70+ hours a week). I know I'll never find another woman better to be my business partner, my best friend, mother of my children, and shooting partner.

She wants a Kimber, I don't remember the model but I'll post a picture we found off gunbroker. Mind you she wants a "beautiful" gun and I don't mind her having one so long as she can shoot it fairly. She did well at 5 yards with my Ruger P345 for the first time every really shooting (I had her shoot a 9mm and .22 first, I just wanted her to get over her recoil fears before really shooting on my Glock 23). So there's a range next to us that rents a 1911, I think it's a Sig so maybe she'll go for that. If she can handle 50 rounds fairly at 20 feet and she doesn't get frustrated or upset than a 1911 may be in her future. Of course after she made her post we went over the order of engagement ring and pistol purchase. I have to purchase a $400 engagement ring she wants before I can buy another pistol. So if I buy the ring but don't give it to her, it's okay if I buy say a Springfield 1911 Mil Spec(one I want as a "working gun") and have her practice with it.

I explained to her that a Kimber 1911 is like a lifetime gun, on par with say a Colt or Sig. You buy it, feed it, take care of it, and shoot it till falls apart which with the right maintenance and visits back to the factory, can be a lifetime for some guns. She's okay with that. Granted she wants an M4 also which again I have no problem buying. I'm saving our loose change(pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters) for whatever beautiful gun she wants. Given I spend cash rather than use debit or credit cards normally, I easily have at least $.50 in my pocket each day if not a few dollars in change. I sent in my oath certificate for bar admission and I'll have my Bar car in a few weeks. I got word I'll be certified for Circuit Civil Mediation in six to eight weeks, I'm already certified for family and occassionaly getting family mediations, and plenty of lawyers told me to call them back to mediate for them when I got admitted to the bar so <fingers cross> I can buy myself a Springfield Mil Spec and my fiancee a Kimber in six months or so, oh and an engagement ring.

So on to finally ending this little bit, I'm hoping Ruger comes out with a "beautiful" 1911 so I can save on cash and have a company I and many other Ruger firearm owners have come to trust and cherish for their quality and excellent customer service.

Oh and please don't post any pictures of $2,000 guns, thanks ahead of time.

ATBackPackin
May 31, 2011, 12:58 PM
First off I just want to say welcome to THR Crystal.

After reading the OP and every response I have two questions for you.

1. Can you afford the Kimber right now?

2. What is it about the Kimber that you like?

Number one is pretty straight forward and it is a question that only the two of you can answer. Two can get a little trickier. Is it how it fit's your hand? Is it the aesthetics? Is it the name brand? Or is it all of the above?

I also think it is important to ask if you have looked at any other 1911's? If the Kimber is a stretch on your budget right now I think it is important to point out that you can purchase a less expensive 1911 now and customize it as you can afford to, to make it more aesthetically pleasing to you.

I can certainly understand why some people want a gun that they think is pretty or beautiful, but with a gun more so than most things, function is definitely more important. That's not to say you cannot have both, but if you can only have one, function comes first and then form latter.

I wish you luck in both endeavors.
Shawn

Paladin38-40
May 31, 2011, 01:01 PM
My response was serious, appropriate, and professional. It was based on professional training in the field of counseling, observation of many marriages in addition to my own 42 year marriage to the same woman.

Argueing over what to spend money on causes more marital strife than how much money there is to spend. Having an understanding of and respect for allowing freedom of choice for both parties to enjoy some fruit of their labor is critical to a lasting and happy marriage. The sooner that understanding occurs, preferably before the vows are exchanged, the better the chances for the marriage to survive.

Gig 'em
May 31, 2011, 01:36 PM
Well, since no one else here has said it...

Congratulations MagnumDweeb and crystalrose on your pending nuptials. We wish you the best.

Back to topic. I would be ecstatic if my wife walked up to me and said that she really wants a Kimber, or any firearm for that matter. She shoots mine, but doesn't want any for herself.

That being said, y'all are going to have to talk out the money matters. That won't change once you are married.

I echo the words of JerryM:
Stay within your means. Wait until you have the money after you are married. Then when you both agree that you can afford it, buy it.

As much as I love guns, it is not worth compromising the financial stability of my marriage. Good luck!! Thanks.
-Gig 'em-

Claude Clay
May 31, 2011, 03:07 PM
do you two re-load??

i ask cause he has a 45 and you want a 45 and if you re-loaded 45acp for $14/100 ( adjusted for the cost of equipment @ $500 for a dillion sq-deal) you can save so much in ammo costs that you can buy your KImber in less than a year with the savings.

dirtykid
May 31, 2011, 03:40 PM
I too would be ESTATIC also to purchase a weapon for my wife (If she could ever decide),depending on price tag though, I know the Kimber's are nice but i would certainily try and steer her towards something a little more "reasonable"
We are a family of 5 , on a budget like most folks, being your still in BF/GF status and no-bling on your finger yet i would suggest purchasing the weapon yourself IF you can afford it of course,, shelling out the greenbacks for a Kimber-brand will certainily make you appreciate it even more than a "gift".
And welcome to "The high road"

doc2rn
May 31, 2011, 03:55 PM
Congrats Crystal and Magnum, I would just say good things come to those who wait.

CMC
May 31, 2011, 04:17 PM
Crystal If he has two handguns why not suggest he uses one of them for a down payment or sell it and use the money to buy a used Kimber.
If you work you can start saving and suggest yo him you will come up with some of the money
I have come up across used Kimbers at good prices.

RimfireChris
May 31, 2011, 04:28 PM
Well, congrats you two, seems like the issue's about solved anyway. Just be thankful man, me and the Mrs. Rimfire have been married for almost four years, together for nearly eight, and last year was the first time she had any interest in having her own gun, so you two are off to a good start. :D

hso
May 31, 2011, 04:58 PM
If money isn't in a big enough surplus (and what young couple starting out has money in surplus) to purchase a gun just to find out if you like how it shoots, perhaps an outing to a range with a good rental selection will let you find out what fits you best and is the most fun to shoot.

I'm an advocate of researching all the information available and then trying on the item before buying. If the gun fits you properly then it will be a lot more accurate for you right away and a lot more comfortable to shoot in a caliber you enjoy. If that happens to be a 1911 single stack or 1911 double, a Glock or a CZ or something else, that's ok. It is what fits you and is most comfortable and accurate for you to shoot that's important. I've trained many women to shoot and when they shoot different handguns from the different families they always settle on what points most naturally and is therefore most comfortable. They're frighteningly accurate and remarkably quick with a gun that fits.

Then you can decide on which family of handguns to start with so you can start out with a good entry model and work your way up to full blown "barbecue guns" in fancy leather when you can afford it. Spending all your money and not having any left over for ammo, range time and courses isn't all that fun.

jfdavis58
May 31, 2011, 05:18 PM
MagnumDweeb,

Is the photo you posted the gun of her desire?

I've got two from that series, both are pure joy to shoot. They are a bit pricey.

Shadow 7D
May 31, 2011, 05:26 PM
Hum, I wonder if BudsGuns has a wedding registry?

Seriously, just go shoot, Iron out what exactly you want, then exchange guns. If you have to wait, so be it. If it's something like this, I'd got the extra lengths and get a true custom, unless she really wants the production gun.

Walkalong
May 31, 2011, 06:48 PM
In relationships communication is king, but managing money is critical. Do both.

Congrats, and I hope the budget allows a nice Kimber soon. Patience is an excellent attribute that can pay huge dividends. AC

crystalrose
May 31, 2011, 10:34 PM
Let me begin by explaining myself a bit better, so as to not come off and the money hungry woman that some might think that I am.... We first began our gun journey shortly after we started dating, as he is a NRA Certified Pistol Instructor... He gave me a safety book to read up on, as well as he let me handle several of the guns that he shoots on a regular basis. Then we started spending times just looking at pictures of guns... after much looking through those, he found that I have very expensive taste
because I really liked the Colt Python. Then after much searching I found that I loved Sig 238 with the rainbow titanium color. Then we went to the gun show. I found that the Sig I did not like because it was too small. I found that after holding revolvers I really didn't like the way that any of them felt in my hand. I found that I really only liked the way semi-automatics felt in my hand.... I guess I like to feel like I'm holding onto to something in when it comes down to guns... So I just picked up all kinds of guns and told my boyfriend that the Kimber felt amazing, of course it said "it better for $1,000.00. When we went shooting he decided that I should shoot his Ruger P345 and I found that it wasn't that bad at all... I also shot two of his 9mm and found that his stainless steel one I did not like at all, but I did like shooting his Bersa Ultra compact 9mm. Also I loved his Glock as well.

My case and point was this... He's got 4 different guns he might carry on any given day, and so far my favorite out of those is the Glock, so for now I should just get that one (he plans on one day getting me my own gun). I think that instead of getting me something in the 600.00-800.00 that perhaps he should wait a while and get me that Kimber I want and let me carry the Glock for now. I'm not being impractical like... get me one now... I am acutally in sales and feel like I need to get the features and benefits for the Kimber, and since I'm not a seasoned shooter I'd need to ask the forum for those. I do not have a problem waiting I just have a problem convincing him that we should wait to buy a Kimber instead of getting something less expensive sooner.....

On a cute....possibly comical to some side note.... I have found an engagement ring that I love which is less than 600.00 and I want a gun that costs about 1000.00, so all and all I think I might be more practical than most woman.... then again some might find this impractical...but again besides the engagement ring I am in no rush for my pistol.

As far as the model in general.... i don't know enough about guns to know that, but I do know that I like the tri-tone ones with brown grips.

mr.trooper
May 31, 2011, 10:55 PM
Funny, my wife couldn't care less what I buy, so long as I get the bills paid.

Scimmia
June 1, 2011, 12:24 AM
Well, if you're looking for features and benefits of a specific gun, you've already got that one down pat. IMO, by far the most important feature of any handgun is how well it fits you. How it fits in your hand, how the trigger is positioned, how the sights come up, etc.

Dr_B
June 1, 2011, 01:42 AM
I think guns are a little like children. If you wait until you can afford one, you may never have one. However, they are UNLIKE children in the sense that you can sometimes sell the ones you don't want and get most of your money back.

jhansman
June 1, 2011, 10:04 PM
Sorry, no can do. The zombies could be at the door and my wife would be calling the police. Thus, I try never to convince, but only ask her trust.

Gig 'em
June 1, 2011, 10:06 PM
Amen, Scimmia! I have to say I like Crystal's money plans... little ring, big gun. :)

MikeNice
June 1, 2011, 11:09 PM
deleted

I'll learn to read the whole thread first, one day.

zorro45
June 1, 2011, 11:20 PM
Congratulations, Just a little decorating suggestion, but a reloading bench fits really nicely into a new living room, and fully loaded, it costs a lot less than say, a piano!

Tomcat47
June 2, 2011, 12:10 AM
Congrats To The Two Of You!

I think The Kimber will Arrive when the time is right!

Most Important of All! Best Friends!

I Married My Best Friend....:)

PS: And thanks Crystal....My Wife loved both your and Magnum's Stories, kinda reminded us of our start and struggle 13 years ago.

And She Just Said...Hon! I Want A Kimber! :what::D

merlinfire
June 2, 2011, 08:53 AM
My wife doesn't shoot but she doesn't really begrudge me my hobby or generally question my purchases.

db_tanker
June 2, 2011, 09:22 AM
as a previous poster suggested I would look at other pistols as well as Kimber.

The PT1911 comes to mind.

And another thing...what is up with women and 1911's???

I had, HAD, a nice 1911...my wife shot it...now my wife has a nice 1911...

my best friend and best man at my wedding...his wife...1911's....

my sister...1911's...

I mean, technically I understand...slightly more narrow grip due to single-stack, 45 isn't exactly a super-high performance round, and a 1911 is, for the most part a good chunk of iron. Combine all these ingredients and you have an excellent pistol.

But hey...considering what I spent on my wife's wedding set...and what this gal is wanting to do in compromise...well...I think you both have your heads on straight...you both talk of compromise...meeting each other half way makes any road your on seem less difficult. Trust me on this...

Of course, there IS one other thing you can possibly do...

Purchase the parts and build your own 1911's...say start with a Caspian or other frame and just get the parts as you get the time to work on them. That way each pistol is specific to your needs...in the end, for the final work, get each slide or receiver engraved with a "to you" message.

Hope this helps!
And congrats to the both of you. :)

D

parsimonious_instead
June 2, 2011, 09:45 AM
Most people (spouses, GFs and others) who aren't enthusiasts feel that "aren't you buying just one more of the same thing?" I've encountered that line of questioning, and I don't even have an SO!
That's when it's time to explain that each firearm has its own visuo-tactile experience. Guns handle and fire differently. A bolt action rifle is satisfying in one particular way, but a lever gun feels sufficiently different enough to justify having both.
There are all sorts of "completeness" reasons to add a gun... "All my guns are semiautos. We should have at least one revolver." "The calibers I currently own use expensive ammo. I want to add something that shoots cheaper ammo."
For a man justifying it to a woman, I think the conversation can be turned around a bit back toward them. "Hey, why do you need that particular piece of jewelry? You already have a few bracelets," etc.

Stepping up to a higher quality gun means spending more, but getting more. The additional marginal satisfaction of a pricier, more enjoyable gun can put the brakes on other purchases. There have been
some disappointing guns in my collection, they were "search guns" I acquired as I looked for something ideal. In my state, the pistol permit process is very strict... therefore there's really no way to
"try before you buy" unless someone next to you at the range is willing to let you use their gun... it does happen at my local range, but not always with something I've considered purchasing.

LarryA, hats off for knocking off the inappropriate posts.

hso
June 2, 2011, 10:22 AM
crystalrose,

My fiance 20 years ago suggested instead of our spending money on an engagement ring that instead we wait until we built our house and get a top of the line hot tub/spa that we'd get a lot more fun/utility out of. We still enjoy the spa and it's a lot harder to loose down the drain than a ring.

I imagine that you can get a lot more fun out of your choice than an engagement ring and I admire your practical decision to look towards the fun/practical choice of a handgun instead, which will also be difficult to loose down the drain. ;) Also, diamond values are awfully inflated through market manipulation.

I'd still recommend shooting a wide range of different handguns and if it turns out that the Glock is the most accurate/comfortable out of a 1911 or CZ or Sig or ... then that's probably the best choice. OTOH, if something from one of those other families points best (comfortable+naturally accurate) you sure can find some very attractive versions that rival a lot of diamond rings for value.

effengee
June 2, 2011, 10:31 AM
Actually, I just ask her really nicely, while giving her a backrub:evil:

I've pretty much gotten my way with guns and my wife, mostly because when we first met I told her that I was a gun nut and asked if she was OK with that. She's not a gun nut, but she firmly believes that everyone has the right to keep and bear arms to defend themselves. She also has a few heirloom firearms that will NEVER be sold, but will continue to be passed down through the family. If we can afford it, we purchase a firearm. Then, when we need money we can sell it and 9 out of 10 times, make a profit.

Prior to her, I only dated women who were OK with guns. I am a certified gun nut and I couldn't continue to date a woman who didn't have even a passing thought about what the 2nd amendment means, much less "hates" guns or wouldn't be interested in shooting them.

I'm dead serious.

AKElroy
June 2, 2011, 10:54 AM
The sooner that understanding occurs, preferably before the vows are exchanged, the better the chances for the marriage to survive.

+1. Our minister required my wife and I to attend counselling before he would agree to perform our ceremony. It was primarily a money based conversation, and we were required to agree that "my" or "her" money would be a thing of the past, that joint accounts would be required, and that only gifts could be considered individual property. Everything else would be combined, or he would not perform our ceremony. 23 years later, we are still going strong, and hardly ever argue over money.

This is a long winded way of saying don't make a major purchase as a married couple without being in agreement. Good luck to you both.

bcp280z
June 2, 2011, 10:58 AM
Sound's like Dweeb's got a good setup. And it's no wonder you like the appearance of the higher end guns, they're quite sexy and each has their loyal following.

My suggestion is when you're not helping you're beau on the weekends, scan the local gun shops for a good used kimber, or just 1911's in general, you may find a few more that catch your eye.

Do you have a fav caliber yet? They don't all come in .45, though I suppose a true 1911 enthusiast may like to stick to the original.

Someone brought up the good point of reloading, being young working class myself I think I'mma bout to pick up reloading, but I think I'll start small with a Lee hand press ~$25 and try to get all the essentials for under $100.

AKElroy
June 2, 2011, 11:10 AM
As a p.s. to my earlier post, it is truly awesome that the two of you have shooting in common. My wife and I share a lot, but shooting is not really something she enjoys. You are blessed to have found each other. Post pics when that new pistol finds its way home.

CajunBass
June 2, 2011, 11:57 AM
It's easy. My wife has a crush on one of my favorite gun salesman. She'll let him sell me anything as long as she gets to talk to him. ;)

The other one is a young fellow she's "adopted." She wants him to do well. Same result.

Jonah71
June 2, 2011, 12:55 PM
I say honey " I want so and so". She says "ok". What's the big deal?
OK.....Maybe I have been single for a long time and my memory isn't that great, but as I recall, this seldom happened. At least not in that order.

MagnumDweeb
June 2, 2011, 08:25 PM
The best thing so far was last night when she talked about how she would invest her money if she won the lottery. She said she would buy a plot of land for an outdoor range. Get an FFL so she could have a gun shop and sell guns 10% plus $30 over wholesale so she could shoot anytime she wanted and buy whatever she wanted when she wanted. Ah love is grand.

She wants a .45 I talked to her about a 9mm and she basically said she didn't want a wimpy round:evil:. We talked things over a little more and we got it clear that she wanted my Glock 23 for now and one day she wanted a Kimber. She didn't want me to buy her anything else(or myself for that matter). So it's not a soon thing, it's just a one day thing. Plus I think she wants the bragging rights to be a girl who can shoot a .45 well, when so many guys around here say they can't. Guys at her work warned her about how dangerous shooting .45s were.

S&W-Keeper
June 2, 2011, 08:32 PM
I say I am buying that gun.

Ole Coot
June 2, 2011, 11:10 PM
I just tell the wife I am going to the local gun store and buy another gun and walk out the door. YOU BELIEVE THAT, DON'T YOU???

au01st
June 2, 2011, 11:18 PM
I'm single...now...

KingMedicine
June 2, 2011, 11:33 PM
Wow... if my girlfriend asked me for a Kimber, it would be a great day in my life... and we would go shopping that day...

db_tanker
June 3, 2011, 08:32 AM
Guys at her work warned her about how dangerous shooting .45s were.

I lol'd at this one...

Does she work around a bunch of feather-merchants?

my wife can shoot that 1911 just as well as I can.

MtnSpur
June 3, 2011, 08:51 AM

+1 Bud.....Scratchin my head wondering how the "make him propse" deal's gonna pan out much less the "buy me this Kimber" thing.

Hey, get a Norinco 1911 (owners of Kimber, Colt et al will scoff but that's ok), shoot the heck outta it. On the propose thing...well....visit Lost Wages Nevada, get him stupid drunk and maybe y'all will get married by an Elvis Impersonator. Problem addressed and solutions offered, it's what I do :D

Mtn :cool:

MtnSpur
June 3, 2011, 01:40 PM
I'm blessed in that my better half goes to gun shows with me and points out guns that I might have missed cause I am focused on a particular "niche" I need to fill or itch I have to scratch. Gotta love a woman like that :)

1911s
June 3, 2011, 02:37 PM
Thats classic!

Jesse H
June 4, 2011, 12:13 PM
As long as the funds allow, my wife is ok with it.

About a month before we got married I wanted a Ruger LCP. I told her I needed that little pocket gun because an XD45 wouldn't fit IWB of my tux.

Twiki357
June 4, 2011, 09:14 PM
I don't worry about it.... Got rid of her 25 years ago.

Killermac
June 4, 2011, 11:22 PM
We have simple agreement she gets a nice purse I get a gun. No but really we agree 100% on all large purchases. We don't fight about what money is who's it is our combined money.

FruitCake
June 5, 2011, 01:32 AM
OK!!!
Uhh very tough question because, You cannot and believe me I've been through it and failed. After many years of experience I just ask yer and when I do that she says to the gun that YES and it works for me ( Wish you luck brothers)

Old krow
June 5, 2011, 02:48 AM
Most people (spouses, GFs and others) who aren't enthusiasts feel that "aren't you buying just one more of the same thing?"

I laughed when I read this. I had a G19 once. I took her to the range and then she had it. I came home from work one day and she asked me to put a trigger in her G19. I replied "I didn't think that you were going to change the trigger on your carry gun?" She said "this isn't my carry gun, it's my new G19."

Crystal, I think that you have the right idea about waiting for the gun that you want, just make sure that it is what you want. Part of the "consolation" for me giving up my G19 was a shift in the budget that allowed me to buy my 1911. It was a little more expensive than some handguns and I had to wait for it, but it was worth it.

Congrats! It kinda sounds like what you two have is better than a 1911. You'll get it soon enough, enjoy the ride.

Kliegl
June 5, 2011, 01:27 PM
+1. Our minister required my wife and I to attend counselling before he would agree to perform our ceremony. It was primarily a money based conversation, and we were required to agree that "my" or "her" money would be a thing of the past, that joint accounts would be required, and that only gifts could be considered individual property. Everything else would be combined, or he would not perform our ceremony. 23 years later, we are still going strong, and hardly ever argue over money.

This is a long winded way of saying don't make a major purchase as a married couple without being in agreement. Good luck to you both.

Gotta say it, man, I'm glad it works for you, but I would have been like *BAM* new priest to do this thing. I am a strong proponent of my things, her things, and our things. My money, her money, and our money.

rromeo
June 6, 2011, 10:15 AM
My wife has mentioned that we don't have a lever action 30-30, or a .308 bolt gun in the house. It didn't take her much to convince me, but I was not working full time, so I put it off until now.

Ally
June 6, 2011, 07:50 PM
^this

Sounds like a guy who should run, not walk.

Edit to add: I actually now read most of the thread, and I'll give the OP's OP a break. It came off as very controlling and selfish. As long as they are happy with each other, that's all that's important.

Good luck with the 1911 when you do get one. They are marvelous guns.

bg
June 6, 2011, 11:02 PM
It kinda works both ways..If she says she ran across a pair of shoes she'd to die
for and is having a hard time deciding to "pull the trigger" on a pair of 200.00
plus wheels...just tell her you completely understand. That's how YOU felt about
that one sidearm or long arm that might still be there....but just.
But in her case, go for it and give her serious props and bide your time.

Let her know you're ok with the shoes, just wish maybe she might consider YOUR
longing AFTER she gets em.

Doesn't always work, but if ya go with her and say those shoes ARE nice..

Well one never knows. ;)

[Taking her out to dinner and asking that she wear those new shoes
won't hurt either.]

If I've learned anything it's this. A happy wife is a happy life.

9delta7
October 12, 2011, 07:46 PM
I let my wife pick out her own gun. She would go to range, rent gun and evaluate, did this several times. Had trouble with Glocks (I love em), kept having to put bandages on her right hand from slide accidents. She has fairly long fingers for a Lady but not much palm width. Told me she needed to find pistol that had less distance from back-strap to trigger. Came home next evening with new Colt 45 defender, with aftermarket slimline aluma grips. She said the 'beavertail" protected her right hand and distance from back-strap to trigger was much less than other pistols she had tried. Has her CC permit, shoots 100+ rounds a week, and now can outshoot me. I think its wise for the man to stay out of the wife's decision making regarding what she desires in a handgun. Works for me. FYI: She is 64 years young.

ballistol
October 12, 2011, 09:45 PM
Why not just buy one yourself?

A-FIXER
October 13, 2011, 12:26 AM
I have not read any post other than the title.....ANSWER.... I don't ask it is my hobby and sport, I would hope she wouldn't drag me down to the furnture store and ask me to help pick out some pattern/style of lamp or picture, or scrapbook items for the home. I am from the old school and Our bills are getting paid and I am just as responsible as she is and if I want it I get it..... I have my reasoning behind me as well.

Babarsac
October 13, 2011, 12:33 AM
Being unmarried has its advantages......wait I'm moving in with the girlfriend on Saturday:what:

It's going to be interesting since she will see what I order online and the safe has no other place to go other then our bedroom. Of course this means I can keep bugging her to go to the NRA range with me.

As for new guns I'll just sneak them in when she's at yoga:evil:

9delta7
October 13, 2011, 04:49 PM
Bought one this a.m.. Brings my pistol collection to 10. It's addictive, have got to stop, but probably won't. Still have things on "Bucket List" to do.

Mike Sr.
October 13, 2011, 05:07 PM
I CAN NOT BELIEVE WHAT I AM READING HERE: A BABE WHATS A KIMBER AND HER BF IS BALKING....all i can say is:

Darl'n, I am pushing 65 and over 300lbs on a bench press...if you have a Jeep and now want a Kimber!!!

Just say YES... will you marry me...?

About me:

Grade skool, high skool, Kolleged & degreed !

Practicing Catholic.

4 Grand kids

A wife w/no jeep but she won't mind.

Lot's of ammo, lot's of guns

Dog named: Katie...11lbs of fluff and teeth, must sleep on my pillow.

I can reload any caliber and can keep you in the powder, not the shower :what::what:

I've been over most of Europe, Part of Asia and in 50 per cent of the 50 states and I love Alaska.

I have access to cabin near the Kenai River and access to private land during the Salmon Run.

I can teach you how to jump outta plane's or helicopters...

How to go 'clamming' at Ninilchik, bay in Alaska and can cook you up some of the best clam's ... better-N-anything you will find in any eat'n place in the known world...

All in all I am a great catch....:D:D:D

So dump this current gurly-boy, pack that Jeep and head my way....

We'll get married and as a wedding gift you'll have your Kimber.....

One last thing...if you have any extra pain killers or extra Metamusil bring'em...:o:o:o

HGUNHNTR
October 13, 2011, 07:46 PM
If we have the funds to support the purchase it doesn't matter what I buy. I respect my wife's ability to act like a grown woman and make responsible decisions and she also expects the same of me. No convincing is necessary.

3KillerBs
October 13, 2011, 10:11 PM
When we decide that the family budget can cover a new gun and we agree on whose turn it is to get a new gun we establish a price point, do our research, and make a very deliberate decision that we're both comfortable with.

The same holds for pretty much any purchase over the "pocket change" level that is drawn from household funds rather than our allotted, individual, personal spending money whether guns, computers, computer games, hobby items, discretionary clothing items, special outings either couple dates or family activities, ... .

Financial stress is a prime source of conflict in a marriage and either pressuring a spouse to spend money they're not comfortable spending or spending significant sums without having first agreed on it then "begging forgiveness" is a guarantee of marital stress.

Thoughtful deliberation, consideration for each others points of view, and loving respect are key.

That said, if you're not married yet what you spend your own money on is your own business -- though money you've promised towards agreed-upon wedding expenses and the like should be considered already spent even if its still in your bank account. :)

J-Bar
October 13, 2011, 10:56 PM
This is really an interesting thread. Its like guns are the Rorshach Test for a relationship!

My wife and I tried the "our money" thing when we were first married. We argued. She works now, has her own account, and I work and have my account. She buys clothes, I buy guns, and we have negotiated the food and household accounts. Life is good. There is no formula that fits everyone...if you love each other you find a way to work things out to your own satisfaction, not the "experts".

It's hard for me to figure out the guy's realtionship with his girlfriend. I understand caution before entering marriage...that's a good thing. But good things also come from commitment. If a person is SURE this is the person hey want to spend their life with, then make the commitment and make it legal. Waiting until you "have enough money" or "have a particular job" to get married is a poor excuse.

The lady in question sounds a tad manipulative, on the other hand. How many times does a guy have to prove his love? "If you really loved me you would buy me a Kimber." That kind of blackmail gets old in a hurry.

Frankly, I don't think these two should marry. He should pursue his career, and she should buy her own Kimber and go manipulate someone else. The fact that they asked our opinion rather than focusing on helping each other says a lot.

crystalrose
October 14, 2011, 07:53 AM
Here is the thing everyone.... This post was meant to be cute. I love my boyfriend and whether or not he buys me a Kimber I will still love him. At the time I did know know that much about guns and was trying to give him specs on the gun that would make it sound like a good buy. Right now I am happy with his ruger and even though I still want a Kimber because they are beautiful and feel nice in my hand I'm happy with what I have.

MagnumDweeb
October 15, 2011, 10:18 PM
FYI CrystalRose is my girlfriend. She got really excited about 1911s, the Kimber CDP 5" in particular. I got her started shooting .45 ACP out my Ruger P345 and she does a great job with it (only having really shot it two times she's outshot some of the guys at the range). She understands that it should be her purse gun, and that the Kimber CDP 5" will be her engagement present(given that her engagement that she wants is less than $600) that will be a range gun only. I only really want her to shot .45 ACP because of a variety of reasons. She shoots my Taurus PT99 quite well but I'd rather her get good at .45 ACP. She dislikes revolvers with a passion and prefers service sized semi-autos(the reverse of most women as I understand it ).

She meant to be cute and fun as I had told her how most women dislike shooting in general. And how women who shoot are quite coveted among men. So she saw a Kimber CDP 5", and wanted one harmlessly, and wanted to play about getting other highroaders to convince to buy one. I save my money, and she respects that. My career is taking off and soon we'll be able to be all the guns we want more or less as the years go by. My next gun will be a Rock Island 1911 .45 5". Mostly for me, but if she likes it and can handle it then I'll give serious consideration to buying her a Kimber CDP 5". Tommorrow we go to the range and see if we can get her to try a S&W E series 1911.

DM~
October 15, 2011, 10:50 PM

Work EVERY kind of problem like that out NOW, they NEVER get better after you say "i do"!!

I never could understand why mostly guys, or sometimes gals attach them selves to a person, knowing there will be some kind of problem like that on down the road? You just set yourself up for relationship failure.

Save up your OWN money, and buy what you want...

DM

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you convince your significant other that you need a certain gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!