Springfield's have firing pin safety?

PDA

Otony
January 15, 2004, 01:48 PM
A friend and I were "discussing" the merits of the various 1911's on the market. He claims that his Springfield (now sold) had a firing pin safety. I was of the opinion that Springfield only uses the locking mainspring housing as their addition to JMB's design, but I suspect I may be wrong.

So, other than the mainspring housing, is the Springfield straight Browning? And if there is a added safety, what form does it take.

Please.......?

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield's have firing pin safety?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Master Blaster
January 15, 2004, 01:54 PM
Springfield has the ILS with a key for the Mainspring Housing.

They passed the Ca drop test without a FP safety by making the FP safer.

The FP in a new springfield is titanium, and has an extrapower FP spring.

Otony
January 15, 2004, 02:03 PM
I rather thought that was the case, but he claimed that he had a "transitional" version, that was before the locking mainspring housing. In all honesty, that seemed to recall a dim memory in my antiquated brainpan.

I think we are just two old farts who suffer from CRS:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield's have firing pin safety?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!