Owners Name "electric penciled" on slide - how much does this affect value?

PDA

Bob01
June 2, 2011, 12:18 PM
Hello All,

Looking to buying a "vintage" High Standard 22 with adjustable sights. Looking around on GunBroker, I see one somewhat affordable with adjustable sights. It seems ok, its just it has it's previous owners name "electric penciled" on the slide...

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/233004000/233004014/pix858564015.jpg

In your opinion how much would this affect the overall value of this pistol?

Thanks,

Bob

If you enjoyed reading about "Owners Name "electric penciled" on slide - how much does this affect value?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
3daman!
June 2, 2011, 12:49 PM
Just speaking for myself, I would not even look twice at a weapon disfigured like that!

ActionJax
June 2, 2011, 12:53 PM
If you're looking to SHOOT it, .... no problem.

If you're looking to LOOK at it (safe queen) ... Big problem!

All my guns -- Mossberg 12 g (590A1), Marlin .22LR (981T) and my Sig Sauer 22/9mm (P229) have all kinds of scratches on them, 'cause I USE them more than I look at them.

Still, it would probably bug me to have a NAME on it ......

md2lgyk
June 2, 2011, 01:25 PM
Just keep looking. Maybe you'll find one with YOUR name on it.

pockets
June 2, 2011, 01:29 PM
I once got a very good deal on a little Bauer 25 because the previous owner had the name 'Shauna' engraved on the slide. But they had it done professionally and it very nearly matches the script used by Bauer. Fine buy me, I'll take that at half-price.

Bob01
June 2, 2011, 01:35 PM
Yes, I intend for this to be a shooter....but everytime I'm looking at it - it's screaming "I've been mutilated!" .... after shipping and ffl...will probably be around $300 ....for that much I could just go with an "ok" Ruger or a soul-less neos, or other polymer framed 22....guess I'll keep lookin'....

Sav .250
June 2, 2011, 01:50 PM
As a shooter. No problem. As anything along the "collector" lines, Forget it.

Fish Miner
June 2, 2011, 02:04 PM
depends on the name.
Clint Eastwood or John Wayne- OK
Adolf or Hans- not so much

kingpin008
June 2, 2011, 03:05 PM
Personally, I'd buy it in a heartbeat and shoot the heck out of it. Guns don't have to be pristine for me to enjoy them. Plus, they're not making any more of those vintage high standards.

My advice is to buy it, shoot it, and if it really bothers you save up and have it sent off to have the name polished off.

Onward Allusion
June 2, 2011, 03:19 PM
Bob01 (http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=155146)
http://www.thehighroad.org/images/icons/icon7.gif Owners Name "electric penciled" on slide - how much does this affect value?
I have passed on many good deals as a result of this. It kills any collectibility a firearm has as far as I'm concern. As a shooter, maybe - but I don't want a gun with someone else's name on it - unless the guy's name was Colt, Ruger, or Smith & Wesson?

rugerman
June 2, 2011, 03:44 PM
Buy it! If anyone asks tell them "that the name has been changed to protect the inocent" or polish it off and refinish it.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
June 2, 2011, 03:50 PM
I wouldn't want the gun, that's for sure.
On the other hand, my guns have my name engraved on them in places that are not visible unless one removes the grips or removes some other major part of the gun. I figure there, I can prove they were my guns - although I already have a concise list of my guns with each SN.

moonpie
June 2, 2011, 03:55 PM
buy it as a shooter , when asked about the name PROUDLY tell some incredible story(lie) about the guy and then act totally dumbfounded that they never heard of it.

FIVETWOSEVEN
June 2, 2011, 03:56 PM
Adolf or Hans- not so much

Hey! My Dads name is Hans and so is my middle name!:D

gym
June 2, 2011, 04:09 PM
It's all relative. That is why a "lady smith" although being same as it's counterpart is normally priced less, I would buy one anyhow if I find one cheap. You can probablly do something to alter the appearance or just try a few coats of Duracoat, I would have to see how deep it was etched in. Perhaps a bead blasting and cerakote or one of the other finishes will cover it up ? if you don't want to spend money on it then pass on it.

Jim Watson
June 2, 2011, 04:16 PM
I've seen worse. As said, if you want it for a shooter instead of a Ruger or Buckmark, it is fine. Just don't expect to retire on the resale value.

gbw
June 2, 2011, 05:26 PM
Just to add to Mr. Watson's comment.

Not every nice old gun is a priceless collectors item, most are not. Although in the last few years it seems most owners of such guns have come to believe they are. Most of them will remain just nice old guns, holding some modest value at best.

SaxonPig
June 2, 2011, 05:40 PM
I like to think that there's a special place in Hell for morons who scratch their names, DL numbers or SS numbers on guns.

To me this results in a 100% reduction in value. I would not buy it at any price. Seriously, I would not accept it as a gift. I know that I would never be happy with it.

BruceB
June 2, 2011, 06:12 PM
Many years ago, Skeeter Skelton wrote an article entitled, "I Hate You, Francisco Bustamente!" That was the name he found on an (otherwise) as-new Colt Peacemaker, on one of his gun-trading forays into Mexico.

That rather-long name had been "engraved" into the Colt Royal Blue finish on the Model P's barrel, apparently with a tool resembling a rusty horse-shoe nail. It gave Skeeter the cold jim-jams and nightmares for years thereafter.

Personally unless I had EASY access to a replacement slide, I wouldn't even touch such a mutilated specimen. A HIDDEN name, SSN, or code might be another matter, but out there in plain view....never.

Sebastian the Ibis
June 2, 2011, 06:19 PM
Some jacka$$ named "Smyrna, GA" engraved his name on every glock at the store, and we still had to pay full price!

moonpie
June 2, 2011, 06:21 PM
I like to think that there's a special place in Hell for morons who scratch their names, DL numbers or SS numbers on guns.

To me this results in a 100% reduction in value. I would not buy it at any price. Seriously, I would not accept it as a gift. I know that I would never be happy with it.
my birthday was last week and i'm not that particular

rogertc1
June 2, 2011, 06:22 PM
I bought a Roth-Steyr M1907 Pistol with a guns name a ssn (7didget= guy born 1918's) The gun only cost me under $800. Good price and I was happy.
Wish I met him.

The Lone Haranguer
June 2, 2011, 07:55 PM
I saw a S&W M28 at Cabela's that had what appeared to be a Social Security (xxx-xx-xxxx) number scratched onto it. :banghead: Usually I am a proponent of function over form, but this absolutely rubbed me the wrong way. :rolleyes: Curiously, the price tag wasn't marked down very much ...

Erik M
June 2, 2011, 08:17 PM
My NIB Ruger Vaquero has the last 3 digits of the guns S/N sloppily etched into the cylinder face. Except whomever was doing the etching messed up, so I have 3 scribbled out numbers and 3 legible numbers. Customer Service confirmed that this was normal.

yhtomit
June 2, 2011, 08:29 PM
What I'd like to find is a gun so disfigured at a gun show, and therefore get a great price on it. I am not really interested in getting rid of guns unless they fall to pieces (unlikely, at my low-range-time pace), and if it means a big discount, I'll take it!

In a weird way, and depending on the details, I might even get a kick out of it. Even Francisco Bustamente ;)

timothy

texas bulldog
June 2, 2011, 08:39 PM
Was the Colt Model P owned by the current world 9-ball champion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco_Bustamante)?

jimmyraythomason
June 2, 2011, 08:44 PM
Wouldn't bother me at all. If I got it for a reasonable price, I'd just remove the etching and re-blue it.

Nushif
June 3, 2011, 12:21 AM
For me to buy it ... it better be a steal.

Not because it's some sort of "tool" or "safequeen" thing ... but because if there's any name on my guns ... it better be mine!

welldoya
June 3, 2011, 12:46 AM
I wouldn't have a problem buying it if it were cheap enough. $300 isn't cheap enough though. I'd expect a big time bargain.

Myles
June 3, 2011, 03:07 AM
Local pawn shop has a Colt Python in pristine condition, other than some idiot's name on it. They are still asking top dollar - I bet they can't figure out why they have had it for years.

gym
June 3, 2011, 11:31 AM
If there is a name and number on the gun, it may also be a case number. Back in the day it was not unusual for LEO to scribe the number on the slide. I should know, I got one back like that, after an investigation by a cop who didn't think citizens should have guns, even with licenses. He made sure I remembered him. I re-nickled the slide, upon the judges order that the pistol be returned to me.It was quite often done in NYC, even thought it was not an approved procedure.

rondog
June 3, 2011, 11:59 AM
Since I prefer used guns I wouldn't mind too much, but it had better be priced accordingly! Like half normal used price or less. Gotta factor in the cost of removal and refinishing.

youngda9
June 3, 2011, 12:15 PM
Hans Gruber !

I personally wouldn't buy it....I'd find another. Plenty o fish in the sea, aye say.

Bob01
June 3, 2011, 02:21 PM
Thank you for everyone's input.

The seller can't send me a clearer picture of the vandalism - he says it says "E NOLLENBUGER"

Though this is a somewhat of a rare High Standard - a Sport King with a Davis adjustable sight - I'm pretty sure the way that name is written on the slide would drive me crazy....if it was nicely engraved - I could make myself think it was an "E NOLLENBUGER model" :-/ ...for the price its about $100 - 150 less...probably best I just wait to get a High Standard Citation...or *sigh* ...a decent Ruger that I know will eat any bulk ammo I feet it....

wow6599
June 3, 2011, 02:30 PM
I wouldn't have married my wife if one of her ex boyfriends name were tattooed on her.......

Same goes for my guns.

Justin
June 3, 2011, 03:01 PM
Take it somewhere and have them sandblast the idiot's name off of the gun and get it refinished.

It won't ever be a collectible gun, but a few minutes in a sandblaster, and give it to a competent gun smith who can refinish it, and you'll have a fairly handsome range gun.

I don't know if the discounted price due to the name scratched into it would be less than what it would cost to get it sand-blasted and refinished, but that might be worth looking into.

VA27
June 3, 2011, 05:45 PM
No problem with the gun being used or defaced, but not for $300! I'd offer $175 and hope to get it for $225.

Ala Dan
June 3, 2011, 06:03 PM
As many other's have said, "shooter = NO PROBLEM"; but it won't add any value
to your collection. Original, High Standards are getting scarce; so its your call~! ;)

Leanwolf
June 3, 2011, 07:21 PM
My brother had an older friend with whom he did business. When his friend died, his wife asked my brother if he would like to have an "old" gun that had been a favorite of her husband's? My brother said he'd love to have it.

She gave him a beautiful Colt's Woodsman .22, four inch barrel, and two extra factory magazines. But....

On the receiver was etched the name of the man, done sloppily with one of those electric pencils.

My brother shoots the living beejesus out of it. Afterall, the price was right! :D

L.W.

W.E.G.
June 3, 2011, 08:37 PM
Reduce value 20% for that sort of disfigurement on a desirable discontinued firearm.

ball3006
June 3, 2011, 10:22 PM
My dad did this to all his guns, electric penciled his driver's licence on them. Then he moved across the country. However, he had a pistol, Hi Standard BTW, and a shotgun stolen by the people watching his house while he was out of town. He did not know it until much later. Anyway, the shotgun was recovered and he was traced to his new address and got the gun back. The engraving sure screwed up the left side of the receiver on his pre war Win 94 with a case hardened receiver. I have no idea where his guns went since he passed away. None of my brothers will admit having them....chris3

Owen Sparks
June 3, 2011, 10:53 PM
Guns are tools. If you intend to use it as such minor scratches are inconsequential. Would a hammer be any less useful if it had a former owners name inscribed on it?

I don’t collect tools, I collect skills and tools are only a means to an end.

ObsidianOne
June 3, 2011, 10:58 PM
I'd say quite a bit, unless his name is Colt or Kimber ;)

danprkr
June 4, 2011, 05:35 AM
FWIW - I'm in the if you're going to shoot and can get a good enough deal on it crowd.

CajunBass
June 4, 2011, 07:22 AM
Yes, I intend for this to be a shooter....but everytime I'm looking at it - it's screaming "I've been mutilated!" ..

Sounds to me like you answered your own question. What we think doesn't really matter.

You think it's been mutilated. It's been mutilated.

Old Shooter
June 4, 2011, 07:38 AM
I'd pass on it. Besides shooting them I enjoy the appearance of my guns, that one won't fit in the stable.

If that is the tpe of gun you are interested in I'd look around a bit and be prepared to pay a little more for one that isn't "Bugered Up".

InkEd
June 4, 2011, 09:49 AM
The "Bustamante" story was one of my favorite tales from Skeeter Skelton I'm glad someone mentioned it because it was the first thing to come to mind when I saw the thread title.

I always like to read the folksy "good ol' boy" articles first whenever I read a gun magazine. They are just fun and entertaining to me.

Fanky
June 5, 2011, 12:38 AM
My Ruger MK1 has a Texas driver's license number scribbled on it and one of the magazines. It's just a shooter to me, and it doesn't bother me one bit. Just an interesting part of its history as far as I'm concerned.

ElToro
June 5, 2011, 09:48 PM
at my LGS there is a nice, obviously used but not abused field grade 20 ga LC smith with some previous owners driver license # scribbled on just about every major component. current owner has it priced for sale like it was a NIB ideal grade ! oh well. it will be there for a LONG while. now if it was priced as it should be for condition and then a few more % taken off for the amarure dremel work, then maybe it would sell. but dude sees LC smith 20 and thinks its worth gold.

oh well.

to the OP, buy it if the price is considerably below a similar non engraved one and then shoot it. those old HS are good plinkers but its not rare and dont pay a premium or even what non graffitti'd one would costs

tiffa
June 5, 2011, 11:08 PM
Would you care if your spouse had a name on her? I would :-) No go for me.

Incalculably Dangerous
June 6, 2011, 11:00 AM
IMHO, The value is effected to the point where any condition it has otherwise is completely negated making it the same as a no-condition shooter and I likely wouldn't buy it unless it was priced too low to pass us.

The only caveat is if it's something that is so incredibly rare that it still retains huge value regardless. Mind you, it would still effect the value but perhaps not as drastically. For instance, I'll take all of the original Colt Paterson's or Walkers with names carved in them that you can find. :)

jimmyraythomason
June 6, 2011, 11:41 AM
The value is effected to the point where any condition it has otherwise is completely negated making it the same as a no-condition shooter VALUE aka worth is determined by not only what a potential buyer is willing to give but also what the seller is willing to take. The only caveat is if it's something that is so incredibly rare that it still retains huge value regardless. This is only a concern to collectors not shooters. Anything that does not effect the operation of a weapon does not reduce it's usefulness. IOW,it's mind over matter. If you don't mind it doesn't matter.

harrygunner
June 6, 2011, 02:03 PM
Reminds me of a Gary Reeder revolver I saw for sale a few years back. The owner's name was engraved on the side. I imagined the owner thought he would keep it for life. And maybe he did and his kid or wife put it on consignment.

It certainly struck me as something that would reduce its resale value.

SharpsDressedMan
June 6, 2011, 06:40 PM
I've seen some really good refinishers that could easily take that off. You need to shop for the guy that can duplicate the old Colt bluing well. They are gettting to be fewer in number all the time.

If you enjoyed reading about "Owners Name "electric penciled" on slide - how much does this affect value?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!