Sphinx AT 2000

PDA

ajoker31
June 2, 2011, 05:55 PM
Anyone have any experience with the Swiss made Sphinx 9mm or 40S&W?

If you enjoyed reading about "Sphinx AT 2000" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walt Sherrill
June 2, 2011, 07:48 PM
I've had several. Still have a Compact (AT2000P).

Great guns. Feels like a CZ made in a custom shop.

(Fit and finish comparable to guns that come out of the big name custom shops.)

They all generally have great triggers. Parts can be a problem, as Switzerland restricts the export of some parts, like magazines. (Unless the new Sphinx importer is handling parts, this could prove troublesome.) CZ factory mags generally work just fine.

I had a full-size DAO model, and didn't like the trigger -- it was slick and light but just too long for me. I like the compact model a lot.

Because they are stainless, they are heavy.

Here's mine:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/WalterRSherrill/CZs/SphinxCompactLeft-1.jpg

Apocalypse-Now
June 2, 2011, 08:03 PM
i looked at a sphinx the other day, the slide to frame fit was slicker than anything i've seen. felt like greased glass cycling the slide. wilson combats weren't even like that lol

the quality was impressive to say the least. i thought about buying one, by they no longer make them (or maybe they're just not imported), so spare parts/warranty work would probably be non existent.

Walt Sherrill
June 2, 2011, 08:39 PM
They are still making Sphinxes -- and there is (or was) an importer here in the U.S., but the focus is on the 3000 series. They are very expensive -- because they are true custom guns. ($5000+)

Not all parts are a problem for the older guns -- just some. And they typically don't need many. I needed a slide stop retention spring, and Sphinx, in Switzerland, sent me one, free. They said they couldn't ship mags.

There have been some changes in ownership, etc. I don't know if the U.S. importer was affected by this.

http://www.kriss-tdi.com/press/press-releases/91-kriss-arms-group-announces-the-acquisition-of-sphinx-a-world-leader-in-premier-quality-pistols-with-the-objective-of-consolidating-and-international-promotion-of-the-swiss-small-arms-industry.html

ajoker31
June 3, 2011, 01:00 AM
Wow! Thanks Walt, your AT 2000p looks rock solid....looks like a Sig 229 and CZ mated. Very nice. I've seen a few old reviews but nothing current. Thanks again.

Best Regards,
Jerry

Ben86
June 3, 2011, 11:45 AM
I've heard them called the cadillac of handguns by several people. I've never shot one before but handled a few. They seem like very well made guns, but keep in mind getting work done and new parts may not be as easy as your run of the mill polymer wonder.

ajoker31
June 4, 2011, 05:39 PM
I have one coming in next week......really can't wait to check it out myself. Thanks guys!

ajoker31
June 11, 2011, 12:39 PM
Wow! Very nice pistol! I've owned the CZ-75b and SA version, the Witness Elite Match, but the Sphinx is definately a notch above in quality, fit and finish! They're so hard to find though.....you wouldn't be looking to get rid of your 9mm would you Walt?

DPris
June 11, 2011, 02:26 PM
I worked with one a while back, nicely done pistol.
Denis

If you enjoyed reading about "Sphinx AT 2000" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!