1911 Problem..Where to look?

PDA

FuzzyBunny
June 3, 2011, 07:02 AM
My 1911 keeps ejecting rounds to the rear in my right eye or right past my ear. I'll be taking it to a smith but does it sound like an ejector or extractor issue?

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 Problem..Where to look?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1911Tuner
June 3, 2011, 07:07 AM
Check the area at the rear of the port for brass marks or tracks. When this happens, it's most often because the case is being released too early into the path of the slide, and is being kicked back at you. The ejector can be involved, but it's usually an extractor issue.

The second most likely cause is that the case is released at 3 O'Clock...bouncing off the sidewall of the port and upward into the path of the slide...and being kicked straight back. This one is most often an ejector problem, but the extractor can also be a player.

The location and pattern of the brass tracks will provide the clues.

FuzzyBunny
June 3, 2011, 08:05 AM
I should have added the slide has been opened (ported) and the internals reworked. This was a competition gun.

I would contact the builder but he moved. I'm hunting the dang pistol now and I forgot where I put the thing! (found 6 mags I thought I lost though)

HOWARD J
June 3, 2011, 08:28 AM
I have the same problem with one of my 1911's
It was destroying cases so I took it to a so called smith to fix it.
It has been sitting around for about 25 years because when he finished with
porting it--the shells come back & hit me right in the nose.
I have not played around with it--I was thinking a longer ejector might fix the problem??

Ramone
June 3, 2011, 09:57 AM
I usually judge my recoil springs lifetime by ejection direction and distance. on Most of my 1911s, I get 3:00-3:30 @ about 6' with new springs- when it starts going past 5:00 and over eight feet, I start thinking about new springs.

I started paying attention to it when I saw an older gent empty his briefcase/rangebag on the table, then place it open, 'just so' at about 4:00 oclock, where it caught just about every bit of brass he flung.

If it was coming right back at me, I'd think a little Extractor tweaking, and possibly touching up the ejector profile might be in order.

* I always shoot 230 hottish but not P+ loads (870-900 fps), so my results are consistant.

FuzzyBunny
June 3, 2011, 10:44 AM
Ahh ok. The guy that had it before me did not shoot hot rounds at all.
When I first got it the shells went just past my shoulder to the right. Then started coming by my head and now hits my face. I think it may be time for a new spring!

Apocalypse-Now
June 3, 2011, 11:22 AM
check the extractor tension, and also the ejector (makes sure it's not chipped or coming loose from the frame if it's not staked).

ohwell
June 3, 2011, 12:22 PM
I just went through this with my Springfield Micro Compact. Changed and reprofiled the ejector and adjusted extractor tension, It would last a hundred rounds or so than back to the same thing. The extractor kept losing its tension which was the real problem. Long story short after 3 different extractors I put a factory Springfield extractor back in ordered from Midway. The original extractor was junk had a K stamped on it. The factory replacement had no markings but seems to be much better quality. After tensioning it I had to remove 2 thousands from the claw as it was riding the case bevel. After about 500 more rounds it seems to be working well still. The Springfield extractor at least to me seems a little shorter than the other replacement extractors out there. Use Google you'll find some of 1911Tuners old threads out there. Thats how I learned how to fix mine.

FuzzyBunny
June 3, 2011, 03:05 PM
I will do my homework on 1911Tuners old threads.
Then I will hunt a good 1911 Smith that knows his business.

Anyone know a good book on the 1911 that has info on the function and such? I really should know how do a complete disassembly and be able to put it back together. The 1911 are just sweet.
More desired than a history of the 1911 which I have somewhere.

moxie
June 3, 2011, 03:26 PM
Agree, change the recoil spring with a stock spring from Wolff at www.gunsprings.com. See what happens. The ejector, being a simple non-moving piece of steel, usually doesn't change over time. So if it isn't the recoil spring, then the extractor is the likely culprit.

1911Tuner
June 3, 2011, 04:59 PM
Well...Sometimes the fixed extractor can be at the root of the problem, and there isn't much that can be done except to replace it.

Case in point:

When the Springfield GI models hit the shelves, I picked one up...mainly out of curiosity.
The pistol ran perfectly, but the ejection was all over the map. Straight up...to the right...straight over my head...to the left...and you name it, and it flung brass there and beat the snockey out of it to boot.

I first tweaked the extractor and finally replaced it. No joy.

I reshaped the ejector every way that I could. No joy.

I replaced the ejector with an extended Brown...filed to match the standard GI length and shape...and the brass started piling up in a nice circle about 6 feet away, about 15 degrees to the rear of a straight line drawn from the port. Perfect.

Looking at the two ejectors side-by-side, you couldn't see any difference.

Go figger...

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 Problem..Where to look?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!