Recoil Reduction Phase

PDA

lizziedog1
June 3, 2011, 07:40 AM
Is there anyone else here that is getting away from heavy recoiling rifles?

When I was younger, I didn't mind a heavy kicker too much. Maybe it was being young and trying to look tough and macho. But my attitude has changed as I got older.

I now shoot guns that recoil the least. I have a rifle in 32-20 that is becoming one of my favorite shooters. Partly because it is accurate. But partly because it has no recoil to speak of.

My go to birdgun is my Remington 11-87 in 20 gauge. Yes, I give up a few pellets in the pattern compared to a 12 gauge. But I also give up some kick in the shoulder.

I really enjoy shooting my 32 magnum Single Six. I mainly shoot 32 S&W long reloads using lead bullets propelled by Trail Boss. The recoil is barely at rimfire level. I have fired some full-powered magnum rounds through it. While the recoil is still not brutal, I prefer the powder puff loads.

I don't know if I am becoming a sissy or sensible?

Anyone else here going through a recoil reduction phase?

If you enjoyed reading about "Recoil Reduction Phase" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TIMC
June 3, 2011, 08:04 AM
I haven't hit that age yet; I'm in my 50's and still enjoy my thumpers. Of course I never was into anything like 50 BMG rifles or big bore express rifles in huge calibers but I do still like my 12 gauge O/U, my 45/70's ad the .50 Beowulf.

helotaxi
June 3, 2011, 08:06 AM
I never saw the reason to deal with more recoil than I had too. I've shot a .50BMG bolt rifle and I didn't think that it was all that bad, but I had no need for one. I much prefer a rifle that I can shoot all day and not regret it later. Biggest rifle I've ever owned is the pair of .308s that I have right now. My primary rifle for the last 17 years or so has been a .243. It will do what I need it to do and I've shot it enough to be quite comfortable with the fact that I can make a shot that presents itself.

I also shoot fairly light loads in my .357 and .45C revolvers most of the time and never saw the need for a .44mag or some other such bruiser.

You can't miss with enough power to win.

Lazerbeans
June 3, 2011, 10:42 AM
Sissy

Sorry, couldn't resist. Shoot what you want and shoot it well, and don't let anyone tell ya different.

Dr T
June 3, 2011, 05:20 PM
I believe that I am drifting in that direction. I put about 15 rounds through my 35 Whelen a couple of months ago. Then I sighted in my 460 S&W Encore with the 20" barrel and iron sights...I don't need to shoot anything else that kicks that much for a couple of years (except maybe my 375 H&H which has been begging for exercise). However, I am definitely looking forward to ringing out the 6.5 Creedmoor I picked up recently.

I think that learning to manage recoil is an important thing to do if you are interested in shooting well. I makes you focus on breathing and holding the rifle in a stressful situation. But, once learned, you don't need a lot of update training.

When I compare the choices I have in my collection versus the game I hunt, I find that there is nothing that my 300 Weatherby can do with a 180 gr. bullet that the 6.5 Creedmoor can't do just about as well with a 129 gr. bullet and about half as much recoil. When hunting, terminal ballistics comes down to shot placement, bullet construction, and sectional density.

Carne Frio
June 3, 2011, 05:51 PM
I'm over 65 and began shooting a lot more after
discovering "Limbsaver". It makes my 12 gauge
shoot with less felt recoil than a 20 gauge. They
are made to fit many long guns and the slip-on
works for the rest.

http://www.limbsaver.com/

If you enjoyed reading about "Recoil Reduction Phase" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!