United Airlines - 2 guns max per hardcase?

PDA

DickP
June 3, 2011, 02:48 PM
I'm flying United pretty soon, and was planning on taking 2 handguns and a shotgun in a locked, hardsided case. United's website has a section under "baggage" for firearms, but it just links you to the TSA regs.

I called United, and finally got through to their call center in India. The guy told me that he thought United had a two "shotgun" (firearm?) per hardcase maximum.

Is this correct? And if so, isn't this a more stringent requirement than TSA imposes? If this is in fact the TSA-imposed maximum number of firearms per hardcase, could someone kindly point me to those regulations?

If you enjoyed reading about "United Airlines - 2 guns max per hardcase?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Carne Frio
June 3, 2011, 03:02 PM
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

Looks like no limit for number of firearms listed by TSA.
Seems to be the same for United Airlines.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,3224,1035,00.html

I have traveled on Delta with 5 firearms; 3 pistols and 2 rifles.

hso
June 3, 2011, 11:09 PM
he thought

Not good enough.

Print their website page on processing firearms through checking and keep it with your guns.

Do the same for the TSA site.

IIRC, United follows TSA only and doesn't add any other requirements or limitations.

danprkr
June 4, 2011, 05:30 AM
What HSO said.

Take the print outs with you, arrive early, and be prepared to go up the chain of command if necessary.

InkEd
June 4, 2011, 09:53 AM
Definitely take the print outs of both guidelines!

Keep a set on you and another copy inside the cas with the firearms.

danprkr
June 4, 2011, 02:07 PM
Good idea InkEd I hadn't even thought about an extra copy to keep with you.

SharpsDressedMan
June 4, 2011, 03:50 PM
Handguns can be put in a suitcase if you are taking one along. Actually, handguns can fit and go in any baggage you are checking in (as opposed to bags carried on). You just have to declare them, pack them as prescribed (unloaded, separate from the ammo, etc), and do what they tell you to do at check in. Not a big deal. They do not have to be put in a gun-specific bag or case.

4v50 Gary
June 4, 2011, 04:26 PM
I stop flying United when they wouldn't let me take a case of boolits in the luggage. I wound up having the local PD ship it to me instead.

DickP
June 4, 2011, 10:25 PM
Will do...

Thanks guys!

If you enjoyed reading about "United Airlines - 2 guns max per hardcase?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!