.32 Rimfire Rifle

PDA

sawhitt
January 15, 2004, 07:11 PM
I inherited a .32 rimfire rifle. The only markings are R. Murdock Manufactured By National Firearms Company and .32 RF. It has no serial number. (I've had it down to the individual screws for cleaning.) It has an octagon barrel and a Sharp's style breechloading mechanism. Theoriginal bluing is 50-60%. The stock and fore end are original with a number of dings and scratches from use.

Anyone have ideas on value? Is it a .32rf short, long, or both? (I can have a gunsmith do a cast to determine this if necessary.)Does anyone know of a solid appraiser for this type of firearm?

Thanks in advance for your input.

If you enjoyed reading about ".32 Rimfire Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim K
January 15, 2004, 11:44 PM
Most .32 RF rifles were in .32 Long, but that is about all I can tell you. I can't find any Menken in any of my sources. There were a couple of companies using the National name, but AFAIK they did not produce rifles.

If it helps, many arms companies over the years have made guns with another name on them. Most of us are familiar with the Sears' "J.C. Higgins" and "Ted Williams", Wards "Western Field", and Western Auto's "Revelation" lines, but at one time even the larger hardware stores could order guns with their name.

Maybe someone else can provide more info or a clue on the name.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about ".32 Rimfire Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!