Nickel or Stainless Python?

PDA

Isaac-1
June 4, 2011, 02:28 AM
As I mentioned on here a while back I have decided to get another Python, this time it will be a 4 inch. The big debate now is which finish, nickel or stainless, what are your thoughts?

Ike

If you enjoyed reading about "Nickel or Stainless Python?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
22-rimfire
June 4, 2011, 02:52 AM
If I were going to shoot it, I'd buy stainless. Otherwise, I'd buy a nickel plated Python.

ColtPythonElite
June 4, 2011, 03:49 AM
If money is no object and you want shiny, get polished stainless or buy a matte and send it to Colt and have it polished. (Yes, I know people other than Colt can polish stainless, myself included, but for a Python I'd send it to the experts). Stainless is forgiving. You can buff out scratches....Nickel is pretty darn tough, too. However, once it gets scratched, it's scratched and if it ever starts to peel you have no recourse but to have it refinished. Polished stainless replaced nickel and for good reason. As bling, bling finishes goes, it's an improvement based on it's durability. I have a factory polished Colt that has seen miles and miles and rounds and rounds over the past 20 years. It still looks as good as the day I bought it.

PabloJ
June 4, 2011, 09:04 AM
Stainless.

snooperman
June 4, 2011, 09:06 AM
If you go with nickel remember not to use any cleaner that has ammonia in it. You have to spend a little more time and detail in the care of nickel because of the way it has been plated on the metal surface. Good luck in your choice. Either way, they are a wonderful revolver.

4v50 Gary
June 4, 2011, 11:19 AM
Bright stainless for me. Nickel is for pimps (but I think I have one nickel gun somewhere).

CraigC
June 4, 2011, 11:46 AM
I have a couple of nickel plated sixguns and far as I can recall, I've never employed prostitutes. Nickel is for those who are not pretentious about the plain-ness of their guns. :rolleyes:

Nickel has more of a warm bronze hue to it and to me, it's a more attractive finish. Stainless is more "white" in color and to me, it's cold and a little sterile in appearance. Hard chrome is the whitest finish, often taking on a slightly bluish hue. Stainless is somewhere between nickel and hard chrome.

The difference is readily apparent here, nickel on the left, hard chrome on the right. Stainless is somewhere in between.

http://photos.imageevent.com/newfrontier45/sixgunsiii/large/IMG_8088b.jpg

Standing Wolf
June 4, 2011, 04:09 PM
I bought a nickel-plated Detective Special years ago because I couldn't find a blued model. I've never truly cared for the look of it, although it's a dandy shooter with a wonderful trigger.

I didn't know nickel plating is fragile, nor did I know the ammonia in Hoppe's No. 9 should never be used on nickel. No harm's been done, but it was humbling to learn that years after the fact.

I never will like the look of stainless steel; that said™, I'll admit most of my carry guns are stainless. It requires less TLC than blued finishes, especially after glass bead blasting. Brightly polished stainless steel looks better to my eye than brushed or bead-blasted, but if you even look at it hard, you've got another blemish to polish out.

Nothing I've ever seen looks better than Colt's royal blue—unless maybe engraved royal blue.

earlthegoat2
June 4, 2011, 04:32 PM
I like nickel. Once again though, my carry gun is stainless. It just happens to be that way though. Stainless guns are everywhere, nickel is hard to find.

4v50 Gary
June 4, 2011, 04:35 PM
Confession time. I won't pass up on a nickel Python if the price is right. I still prefer blue, but cheap enough (in price) is good enough for me.

ColtPythonElite
June 4, 2011, 04:51 PM
I like nickel. It really sets of my gold tooth and gator shoes.

9mmepiphany
June 4, 2011, 05:16 PM
I like the look of Nickel better (mine are all blued) because the undercoat gives it a warmer amber hue...the stainless is a bit cold with it's blue hue.

The word used to be that the nickeled guns had a more refinded finish (read flawless) than the blued guns because the nickel plating would make any imperfections more obvious in their reflections...if they are, I can't see it.

However the stainless will show small scratches more easily than the nickel finish...it is softer...we're talking about the scratches from cleaning cloth wiping down the surface

ColtPythonElite
June 4, 2011, 05:25 PM
A little Mother's/Flitz/Semichrome on a cloth will keep the polished stainless blinging. You can hand polish it over and over to remove those tiny scratches. You can only get away with it a limited number of times on nickel before you rub the plating off.

While they are not Pythons, my King Cobra shooters have the same "Ultimate Bright" finish on them. They get used plenty and still have a shine on them you can part your hair in.

MtnSpur
June 4, 2011, 05:33 PM
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h351/MtnSpur/78ColtPython640x359.jpg

Had just bought this '78 Python the day I took the picture (and I'm a lousy photographer). Not polished up, primped or tampered with. Just as I took her out of the gun case and put on the table. I dunno, what do you think?

Mtn :)

MtnSpur
June 4, 2011, 05:36 PM
I like nickel. It really sets of my gold tooth and gator shoes.

Don't forget the mink fedora bud :what:

Mtn :)

ColtPythonElite
June 4, 2011, 06:01 PM
Nice gun, MtnSpur.

This time of year, I leave the fedora home. It's tough keep on when I've got the top dropped on my Caddie.

MtnSpur
June 4, 2011, 06:17 PM
Thanks CPE, taint fired her yet.....skeered to :what:...I find a bungee cord will keep the hat on but the matching full length mink coat is so cumbersome in 100 degree heat, yanno? :evil:

ColtPythonElite
June 4, 2011, 06:23 PM
Yeah, I'll bet it's hot in Texas right now. If I were you, I'd strip down to my zebra print bikini's and rattlesnake boots and go out shootin' with the new gun.

dfariswheel
June 4, 2011, 08:01 PM
It's amazing how gun lore changes over the years.

The story years ago was that nickel Pythons were Pythons that were botched slightly during polishing and they were nickel plated "because the nickel would cover up the imperfections".
For this reason, people were reluctant to buy a nickel Python.

Today, the lore is that the nickel Pythons had to be MORE perfectly polished because any imperfects would show.

The truth: Blued, nickel, and bright stainless Pythons all got the same level and quality of polishing. It was the best polish job ever done on a production or semi-production DA revolver.

9mmepiphany
June 5, 2011, 01:34 AM
I knew someone would really know...which makes sense...and I admit that I bought into the legend. My only plausible excuse is that I heard it long before the internet existed and could check it.

Now I know better...thanks dfariswheel

Guillermo
June 5, 2011, 02:49 AM
strip down to my zebra print bikini's and rattlesnake boots and go out shootin'

you guys skeer me

CajunBass
June 5, 2011, 09:32 AM
I suppose if someone gave me a stainless Python (or any other gun really), I'd take it and thank the giver, over and over again.

Then i'd sell it and use the money to buy a nickel one.

PabloJ
June 5, 2011, 10:19 AM
I would sell the $ython and use the money to buy two S&W Model 19s plus some ammo....or get three used Ruger 'Security Six' or 'Service Six' plus ammo instead of one Colt. When one thinks in those terms the prices asked for Sainted Pythons are actually shocking.:rolleyes:

Guillermo
June 5, 2011, 11:15 AM
I love Colt revolvers yet I can see Pablo's logic to sell and buy two fine old Smiths.

On the other hand...going from a smooth, refined action of the Python to a pile of Rugers is not something that I can embrace. That would be like going from a Tundra to a 74 Power Wagon.

ColtPythonElite
June 5, 2011, 11:22 AM
Eh, just keep the Python and enjoy it a bit more, then sell it in about a decade and you can buy your 4 Smiths...

rishooter
June 5, 2011, 11:52 AM
I have a nickel Python made in '78 because it was a great deal in beautiful shape when I bought it and I couldn't pass it up.I'd have preferred the Royal Blue,but didin't find one.I had once passed up a Python 3" in blue for $325:( many years ago because I just couldn't afford it back then-a friend was selling it.I wasn't going to miss out twice.
BTW I shoot my nickel Python regularly,mostly with 38 +P's.
I save the mags for my N frame Smiths and GP100.
If that Python goes out of time,it'll be hard to get it fixed right.

Jim Watson
June 5, 2011, 11:53 AM
If you want a shiny shooter, get bright stainless, scratches won't rust and can be polished back out.

If you want a showpiece, get nickel. I think the warm color is just prettier.

MtnSpur
June 5, 2011, 12:07 PM
Eh, just keep the Python and enjoy it a bit more, then sell it in about a decade and you can buy your 4 Smiths...

I told my wife the Pythons get buried with me. She, of course half smiled at me (we all know what that means). Own some Smiths, kids will get em.

PabloJ:I would sell the $ython and use the money to buy two S&W Model 19s plus some ammo....or get three used Ruger 'Security Six' or 'Service Six' plus ammo instead of one Colt. When one thinks in those terms the prices asked for Sainted Pythons are actually shocking.

And if one owns a Security Six, some S&W's ? Naw, think my Pythons will stay. :D

Old Fuff
June 5, 2011, 12:11 PM
Colt got into making stainless handguns late in the overall picture, but eventually market demand forced them into it.

As a rule of thumb, earlier Pythons were better made then later ones. Of course there are exceptions. The reason for this is because the company's brain-dead management - that knew absolutely nothing about building guns - fired, or otherwise lost many of they're best polishers and final assemblers around the late 1960's to save money. This to say the least was a bad move.

So if I was going to buy a Python I'd look for a blued one (1st choice) or nickel (2nd choice) made during the middle 60's or earlier. If I was going to pay for a later production stainless one I'd check it over very carefully.

The Old Fuff will now retire to his underground bunker, as he can expect a drone attack (and maybe a lynch mob) made up of hard-nose Python fans.

So be it... :evil: :neener: :D

Guillermo
June 5, 2011, 01:37 PM
he can expect a drone attack

Not to worry Old Fuff.

Colt Kool-Aid drinkers live too much in the past to have one of them new-fangled drone-thingies.

And you are absolutely right...the wheels started coming off the bus long before the crash. The later Colts were not near the guns that the early ones were.

(If you hear knocking on the door of the bunker I will use the password "John Moses"...let me in...I will bring beer :eek:)

Old Fuff
June 5, 2011, 01:45 PM
I will bring beer

Well O.K.

This time only I won't shoot first and ask questions later... :eek: :evil:

Guillermo
June 5, 2011, 02:09 PM
This time only I won't shoot first and ask questions later

you don't have a bench grinder in the bunker...do you?

:what:

Blue68f100
June 5, 2011, 02:43 PM
I have owned this 6" nickle since 1977. It has the Colt's Custom Tuning and Adj Sights from the factory. It is one sweet shooting gun. Everyone who has ever shot my gun has fallen in love with the trigger. It's as smooth as stp on glass, SA or DA the trigger on this gun is second to none. The DA is in the 5# range.

http://img860.imageshack.us/img860/3221/python.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Nickel or Stainless Python?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!