G26 the most reliable small 9mm?

PDA

TheProf
June 4, 2011, 07:20 AM
Ok... some have claimed that their small 9mm is just as reliable as Glock's G26 model. But is there a small 9mm that can surpass Glock's reliability? I don't such a gun exists (that is in the small 9mm category).

Any takers out there?

If you enjoyed reading about "G26 the most reliable small 9mm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Lone Haranguer
June 4, 2011, 07:29 AM
I can't say if it surpasses the G26, but a S&W M&P 9C I had was 100% perfectly reliable, from the very first round. Even my own Glock (19, purchased late 1998) didn't match that. (This was a magazine issue, and only with the last round of a hollowpoint, not the fault of the gun itself. Nevertheless, it was still a malfunction.) The 9C is a larger gun than the G26, however.

Apocalypse-Now
June 4, 2011, 07:31 AM
i've read far more issues with m&p 9mm's and +p or +p+ ammo that the glock 26 can eat all day.

kahrs are hit or miss, and overpriced.

if there's a sumbcom 9mm as reliable as the g26 with ANY 9mm load, i haven't heard of it :)

Geckgo
June 4, 2011, 07:32 AM
M&P, XD, Glock, FNP, and others are all in the same class, which one is better depends on which one fits your hand the best and which one you like the most.

snooperman
June 4, 2011, 07:39 AM
when they first came out and can not remember a time when there was a hint of any problem with it all these years. It eats every thing I feed it and is a wonderful example of "THE BEST" of small compact 9mm. I can not speak in praise or otherwise for the other small 9mm but the Glock is as reliable as my snubby revolvers. And it carries twice the ammo too.

rskent
June 4, 2011, 07:44 AM
239 Sig

No failures of any kind. . . . ever.

Not bashing Glocks. I love my G36.

Steve

Water-Man
June 4, 2011, 09:06 AM
The M&P9c and the G26 are the ones to beat.

ColtPythonElite
June 4, 2011, 09:11 AM
There are lots of reliable small 9mm's...The Smith 6904 and it's stainless brother are very reliable guns in my experience.

Mad Magyar
June 4, 2011, 09:19 AM
All you Glocksters really crack me up..You get a pistol that goes Kaboom each time and think it's the only thing around. Unaware of the multitude of great guns out there, probably don't own anything else, spouting off the same BS about Glocks. There is a world out there other than THE BLOCK!

Apocalypse-Now
June 4, 2011, 09:24 AM
All you Glocksters really crack me up..You get a pistol that goes Kaboom each time and think it's the only thing around. Unaware of the multitude of great guns out there, probably don't own anything else, spouting off the same BS about Glocks. There is a world out there other than THE BLOCK!

rather ignorant and angry statement. wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

glocks are my favorite polymers, but i don't fault anyone for choosing another brand.

and yes, i have owned & do own others ;)

TheProf
June 4, 2011, 10:39 AM
LOL...

The comment about glocksters are funny. Yes, I do own other brands. SW, Rugers, Beretta, etc.

But the challenge still stands...

Are there any that surpasses a Glock 26 in the small 9mm category? I dont mean "equal to" or "very reliable too" but... "surpasses Glocks". That's the phrase I'm looking for.

The category again is "sub compact 9mm". (I have an M9 that equals Glocks...but its a full size 9mm...so that doesn't count.)

unclenunzie
June 4, 2011, 10:53 AM
I have read a vast number of internet posts and possibly a few dozen gun writer pieces about the reliability of glock pistols. However, my only relevant experience is with my own 26 gen 3 which I bought a few months ago and fired only 200 rounds of ball through. It has not failed in this very small sample of use. After another 300 ball rounds and a comforting number of defensive rounds I will trust it. Just like any other make and model pistol I personally own.

I do believe that Internet consensus opinion is a good starting point to begin evaluation of pistols for serious use. What should follow is personal testing experience.

More to the OP's point, I don't think it's possible to crown any particular make and model as most reliable for every person. I have personally seen an experienced if hard-headed revolver shooter insist that the Glock 36 we both shot was unreliable, even though he watched me run mag after mag without a hitch. He was limp-wristing it all the way, and if it had been a 26 the outcome would have been the same. So for him a small Glock was unreliable.

If one is looking for a general proclamation of small frame glock reliability compared to others, I'd say Internet consensus has placed them at the top (in 9mm).

After my personal reliability threshold has been reached, other features such as accuracy, operational smoothness, ergonomics, stealthiness, fit/finish, etc, weigh in. Which is why I am well-satisfied with my personally proven HK P30, chosen over a roughly equivalent Glock 19 (never bought or fired).

Mad Magyar
June 4, 2011, 11:16 AM
wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

Yes...
I don't such a gun exists
Now, tell me, how ignorant is that statement....No doubt Glock is reliable, but not taking in account the refinements of other pistols is simply idiotic.

Nushif
June 4, 2011, 11:29 AM
My E9 has been dropped in mud, had pine needles shaken out of it and still shot. Hasn't failed me yet, either. What exactly is more reliable than 100%?

WRGADog
June 4, 2011, 11:31 AM
However, IMO there are other guns that are as reliable as the Glock, such as XDsc, XDm compact, PX4sc, PX4compact, etc.

Aiko492
June 4, 2011, 12:22 PM
I have the Gen 4 G26 with about 1,000 various error-free rounds through it. I own Sigs and HK's as well as other Glocks. All have been 100% reliable. But the G26 for me is the perfect combination of size, capacity, accuracy and reliability.

amd6547
June 4, 2011, 12:23 PM
No doubt there are other reliable small nines on the market today. But the Glock has been around for a long time, and has a proven track record.
I have been getting into Glocks lately, after a 10yr+ absence. I just bought a like new/used G26 made in 2005. Took it to the range yesterday for the first time, and put about 150rds through it, and was very pleased. I used WWB and Federal champion 115gn FMJ and Win Ranger +P+ 127gn JHP, as well as some random ammo I had mixed in a baggy...It worked perfectly, and the accuracy was incredible. I was shooting at 10" steel plates at 40yds and hitting them regularly. It even worked perfectly with a G17 19rd mag.
It is light, accurate, reliable, and packs a good punch with the +P+ Ranger load...and it disappears under a Tshirt.
Plus, it has been made so long now, that they are available on the used market at attractive prices. I got mine in a FTF deal from a neighbor who was uncomfortable not having a manual safety, a problem I dont have.
While there are many choices in small CCW nines today, the G26 has to be the standard the others are measured against.
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/amd6547/DSC01908.jpg

RugerMcMarlin
June 4, 2011, 12:30 PM
Makarov, is adequate, but can't touch the G26

gb6491
June 4, 2011, 12:38 PM
kahrs are hit or miss, and overpriced.
I guess that's an opinion and as such can't really be quantified. Military/LEO/First Responder discount aside, I do believe you can purchase a new Kahr CW9 (even throwing in the cost of another magazine) for less than a new Glock 26.
Regards,
Greg

jem375
June 4, 2011, 12:39 PM
I carried a G26 for almost a year, had 3 FTF's decided to trade it off for a CZ PO1, much better handgun for me. It probably was the magazine, but thought that 3 was enough...

Weevil
June 4, 2011, 12:44 PM
The G26 was one of the first small 9s that actually worked reliably and has built a reputation over the years until now it's the gold standard that all sub-compact 9s are judged by.

Sure the Glock haters are gonna try to put it down but that's the kinda of reputation money can't buy or that can be faked.

Are there other good 9 subs?

Yeah probably but you know the G26 is good whether you're willing to admit it or not.

CDW4ME
June 4, 2011, 01:35 PM
The Glock 26 is going to be difficult to beat in the small 9mm category.

-Mine will digest any hollow point I've tried, Federal 115 +P+, Cor-Bon 115 +P, Ranger T 124 +P and 127 +P+ (reliable)

-The Glock 9mm can handle +P and +P+ loads, they use the same platform for 40 S&W and .357 SIG (durable)

Other considerations:

-Height is 4'' which is easy to conceal (Kahr PM9 is a small 9mm concealibility champ at 4'' height plus thinner & lighter than the 26)

-capacity of 10 + 1 (Significant increase in capacity over the previously mentioned 6 + 1 Kahr)

The Kahr PM9 (I had one) is lighter & thinner and mine wasn't ammo picky, it digested Remington and Cor-Bon 115 gr. +P loads just fine. If pocket carry is a primary concern, then the PM9 deserves consideration; however, the PM9 was a little big in the pocket for my taste, a P3AT is the pocket champ, IMP. For my prefered appendix IWB, the difference in concealibility (26 v. PM9) was nill, the extra thickness of the Glock not significant enough to warrant packing the Kahr given other factors, described / summarized in the next paragraphs.

Shootability: First, Load up the Kahr PM9 and a Glock 26 with the same ammo (use some good SD ammunition like the Cor-Bon +p or similar). Now, get a timer and commence shooting timed double taps with an accuracy requirement (example: both shots must hit a 6'' circle at 6 yards). The Glock will IME steal the show over the Kahr in this little comaprison.

Conclusion: for anything other than pocket carry, or maybe ankle carry (yuck), the Glock is going to be nearly impossible to beat if you keep the height at 4 inches, want to shoot high performance ammunition, include capacity, durability, and overall shootability.

Big_John1961
June 4, 2011, 01:44 PM
The G26 is a good one, but my copy of the M&P 9c ate everything I fed it without hiccup. Terrific shooter and accurate. I bought it over the G26 simply because it felt better in my hand. I went in to buy a G26 and left with the 9c. Either is a great choice.

Beat Trash
June 4, 2011, 02:32 PM
I bought my Glock 26 about 2 years after they came out. It hasn't choked on any ammunition made to spec that I've tried.

I have an M&P9c. WHile I have only had this gun since 207, it also has yet to choke on any ammunition made to spec that I've fed it.

So if I were to answer the OP's question using my sample of two guns, then it'd be a tie as to which is most reliable.

But is the Glock 26 a reliable gun? Yes...

bds
June 4, 2011, 08:17 PM
Ok... some have claimed that their small 9mm is just as reliable as Glock's G26 model. But is there a small 9mm that can surpass Glock's reliability?
Why yes, G27 with Lone Wolf 40-9 conversion barrel. :D

Designed for the heavy/snappy recoil of 40S&W cartridge, shooting 9mm out of G27 with the conversion barrel with thicker chamber/barrel "seems" to tame even hotter 9mm rounds. Of course, this is purely my opinion but I have shot several hundred thousand rounds through my Glocks and so far, G27 is humming away happily both in 9mm and 40S&W.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=143460&stc=1&d=1307233048

Ben86
June 4, 2011, 11:57 PM

Speaking of BS statements. ^

The Prof,

The Glock 26 can probably take more punishment than most small 9mms. But, if you aren't planing on torture testing your gun a S&W M&P9C, Ruger SR9C, XDC, or Kahr pm9 would serve you just as well. More importantly get the one that fits your hand, and what you want out of a gun best.

HK Jake
June 5, 2011, 12:17 AM
The HK P2000 SK is an excellent choice in 9x19mm, .40 S&W and .357 SIG.

Just wanted to throw that out there. :cool:

Apocalypse-Now
June 5, 2011, 12:19 AM
^^i like that one, just can't get past the price lol :)

but i'm a 1911 guy. i look at things with the mindset "i'd rather drop a grand on a 1911" LOL

huduguru
June 5, 2011, 12:19 AM
Google "M&P Dead Trigger" ;)

Apocalypse-Now
June 5, 2011, 12:30 AM
^^yep, good point. triggers not resetting, although uncommon, has been known to happen with m&p's....:eek:

Thompsoncustom
June 5, 2011, 12:42 AM
All you Glocksters really crack me up..You get a pistol that goes Kaboom each time and think it's the only thing around. Unaware of the multitude of great guns out there, probably don't own anything else, spouting off the same BS about Glocks. There is a world out there other than THE BLOCK

^.......Agreed.

I carried a G26 for almost a year, had 3 FTF's decided to trade it off for a CZ PO1, much better handgun for me. It probably was the magazine, but thought that 3 was enough...

^......Personal opinion but I think cz's beat glocks hands down. Like a said tho just a personal opinion.

The Prof,

The Glock 26 can probably take more punishment than most small 9mms. But, if you aren't planing on torture testing your gun a S&W M&P9C, Ruger SR9C, XDC, or Kahr pm9 would serve you just as well. More importantly get the one that fits your hand, and what you want out of a gun best.

Tho glocks are one of the most relieable guns out there they are by far the most bullet proof. don't think so? a hi point is more unstoppable than a glock "as far as breaking it not relieablity" and we are talking about a pistol that cost 150 brand new, now is it relieable as a glock, no not even close. There is a 3 or 4 part youtube video where two guys do everything to blow this gun up and finally do but its easy to say that a glock would not have made it that far or even close. (they end up beating a bolt in the end and filling the barrel with black powder or something crazy)

Now i'm not just bashing glocks I think they are one of the most relieable guns out there its just good to point out that they are no magical weapon.

Apocalypse-Now
June 5, 2011, 12:50 AM
a hi point is more unstoppable than a glock "as far as breaking it not relieablity" and we are talking about a pistol that cost 150 brand new, now is it relieable as a glock, no not even close. There is a 3 or 4 part youtube video where two guys do everything to blow this gun up and finally do but its easy to say that a glock would not have made it that far or even close. (they end up beating a bolt in the end and filling the barrel with black powder or something crazy)

i saw that vid.

if i'm in a gunfight, and an attacker manages to hammer a bolt in my glock's barrel, i would expect it to perform at least as well as the high point lol

seriously though, that test is for entertainment purposes, and most guns would survive that.

i say that because those two torture test guys on the guns&ammo tv show did the same with with a variety of pistols & rifles, and all performed the same. none of the them blew up ;)

Frozen North
June 5, 2011, 12:51 AM
I shoot my G26 more than all my other pistols because it is my EDC and I feel that I have good reason to dump more ammo through it for practice. It is the only pistol I own that has never jammed, not even once.

I have honestly tried to make it fail. I used every cheap ammo I can find, including HP stuff, steel cases, aluminum cases, you name it. I left it outside when it was -40 degrees and gave it the soggy limp wrist treatment. I even have a hard time forcing myself to short stroke the trigger.

It always goes bang, even when I don't do my part.

It shoots freakishly well for it's size. I hit stuff with it that I should have a much harder time hitting. Those sights are no prize, but they work well for some strange reason.

The finish is dang near indestructible. I have carried this gun for over two years and it shows almost no wear.

It's super duper easy to strip and clean.

Don't give me this fanboy crap either. This is the only Glock I own and I think it is ugly with no soul. It is a tool for a job that works exceedingly well, that's it. If this one was destroyed, I would not shed a tear for it. I would immediately go but another though.

Gaston Glock can firmly put the G26 in the WIN category.

I am not saying that other guns are bad or junk, but the G26 is clearly the benchmark by what all other sub-9s are judged.

Anyone can hate, but can anyone give me a reason other than fit or personal preference that would make G26 anything other than a good choice for a ccw?

HK Jake
June 5, 2011, 01:09 AM
^^i like that one, just can't get past the price lol :)

but i'm a 1911 guy. i look at things with the mindset "i'd rather drop a grand on a 1911" LOL
A grand!? I got mine for $650, new...

Apocalypse-Now
June 5, 2011, 01:11 AM
^^never seen a new, or used for that cheap in my area. maybe a grand was a little exaggeration, but they do go close to it. about $850+tax in my neck of the woods :)

HK Jake
June 5, 2011, 01:13 AM
^^never seen a new, or used for that cheap in my area. maybe a grand was a little exaggeration, but they do go close to it. about $850 in my neck of the woods :)
Ouch!

Apocalypse-Now
June 5, 2011, 01:16 AM
wish i could find one of those compact hk 45's for $650 new. i'd be on that like stink on a monkey lol

HK Jake
June 5, 2011, 02:04 AM
wish i could find one of those compact hk 45's for $650 new. i'd be on that like stink on a monkey lol
Hah! Good luck with that one! I've never even seen an HK45 Compact in the shop, and I'm there once or twice a week!

ChCx2744
June 5, 2011, 02:23 AM
Owned a G26 for almost 5 years now, this thing is going to my grave with me.

JohnBT
June 5, 2011, 08:57 AM
"Are there any that surpasses a Glock 26 in the small 9mm category?"

I don't think the G26 is all that small for a 9mm. And it certainly isn't a light gun, especially when loaded. These are Glock's figures:

WEIGHT
560 g / 19.75 oz.
LOADED (~)
740 g / 26.10 oz.

wanderinwalker
June 5, 2011, 11:20 AM
In my opinion, I haven't found anything that quite matches the Glock 26 for size, capacity, shootability and reliability in a "small 9mm".

The Sig 239 is nice, but it IS bigger than the G-26. The S&W M&P 9C? Also bigger, as is the XD-9 SC.

I had a Kel-Tec PF-9 that was definitely smaller, lighter and easier to carry, but it was a bear to shoot. Almost not enough to hang on to, and I have small hands. It also wasn't anywhere near as reliable, again I think because it was so hard to hold on to. And put +P+ Ranger SXTs in the Kel-Tec? I think not!

I've fired a Kahr MK-9, and it wasn't bad, but it was harder to shoot fast and with the steel frame was about as heavy.

Not that I consider myself a fanboy; I only own two center-fire semi-auto pistols and they are both Glocks. Nothing fancy, but tools that do what they are designed to do (go BANG!) every time without question.

agent89
June 5, 2011, 11:41 AM
Had a 26 for about 2 months now, it's my third glock. I own several revolvers and one sigma 380. I am reading about all the new compact nines coming out, kimber solo and sig 290 etc. No thanks, the 26 is proven and shoots super nice. Also look at the price, I paid $520 new.

Fishbed77
June 5, 2011, 03:37 PM
Ok... some have claimed that their small 9mm is just as reliable as Glock's G26 model. But is there a small 9mm that can surpass Glock's reliability? I don't such a gun exists (that is in the small 9mm category).

Any takers out there?

A Walther P99c is just as (if not more) reliable.

And has a better trigger, better ergonomics, and better fit & finish to boot.

Apocalypse-Now
June 5, 2011, 08:38 PM
Hah! Good luck with that one! I've never even seen an HK45 Compact in the shop, and I'm there once or twice a week!

looked at one on sale the other day for $850 lol

sidheshooter
June 5, 2011, 08:38 PM
While certainly larger (unless you take width into account), I'd throw the smallest 3rd gen S&Ws up on the board as about as reliable. Granted, I treat my 3953 pretty well, so I can't speak to abuse (I'd bet on the G26 in push-to-failure torture testing) but those 3913-type things rock it up for feeding whatever.

So does Gaston's finest, no knocks there. I'm just sayin' that I like the slimline baby Smith too...

JohnBiltz
June 5, 2011, 09:16 PM
I carry a G26. I don't know if it is the most reliable but anything more reliable is going to just be a push. 5,000 rounds through my carry and I'm still waiting for a jam. I suspect there are other guns that can do this as well. Past a certain point its more about individual guns rather than make and model.

I obviously like the G26, its a very good mix of size, firepower and shootability. Its as big as I care to carry and as small as I'd care to have in a real gunfight.

W.E.G.
June 5, 2011, 09:20 PM
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/Glock/kool_aidGlock.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/Glock/G26withammoandpennies.jpg

Armedleprechaun
June 5, 2011, 10:29 PM
I have a Gen3 Glock 26, It's been 100% reliable from the start. It's probably my favorite Glock, along with the 19. It's one of those guns I wont trade.

Glockeroo
June 6, 2011, 11:22 AM
Typical Glock hate talk above. Don't get mad at Glockers. It's not our fault we purchased and love the best handguns in the world. That's right. The world! The G19 and G26 are the best handguns ever to grace the face of the Earth. Other manufactures are copying the design but none of them has even come close to the Glock lineup. I hope I don't get banned from this forum for loving my Glocks. That chump moderator on the other forum can't stand my Glock love. If I was a Sig lover, I'd probably still be able to post there.

Gaston Glock rules!!

JohnBT
June 6, 2011, 11:32 AM
The best handguns in the world? For everything and everybody? Do you really believe that silliness?

"That chump moderator"

I predict trouble for you if you keep that attitude.

Glockeroo
June 6, 2011, 11:46 AM
The best handguns in the world? For everything and everybody? Do you really believe that silliness?

"That chump moderator"

I predict trouble for you if you keep that attitude.
Yes! In the world. Remember it's only my opinion. People are more than free to disagree. That's what that chump moderator doesn't seem to understand. It's an opinion. If you don't agree; so be it. Speak your peace, and move on. What's so hard about that?

JustinJ
June 6, 2011, 12:49 PM
I'd go with an HKP2000sk over a glock 26, 27, 28, 572 or any other originally named model. I'd put my money on the HK for being more reliable and durable. I don't have a side by side test to compare them but in addition to an HKP2000 and HKP2000SK I do own a Glock 21sf, M&P40, and XD40. HK tops them all IMO. Glocks are great guns but they come in on my list after HK and M&P.

HK Jake
June 6, 2011, 02:42 PM
Typical Glock hate talk above. Don't get mad at Glockers. It's not our fault we purchased and love the best handguns in the world. That's right. The world! The G19 and G26 are the best handguns ever to grace the face of the Earth. Other manufactures are copying the design but none of them has even come close to the Glock lineup. I hope I don't get banned from this forum for loving my Glocks. That chump moderator on the other forum can't stand my Glock love. If I was a Sig lover, I'd probably still be able to post there.

Gaston Glock rules!!
Lol?

It may only be your opinion, but it doesn't make it any less annoying!

jem375
June 6, 2011, 04:03 PM
The G26 is just plain too small for my big hands, I carry a Springfield Ultra Compact in 45ACP now after carrying the G26 for almost a year and didn't like the grip angle or trigger..... too each their own and I own a G17 and G20, but the G26 is definitely not among my favorites...

Apocalypse-Now
June 6, 2011, 04:18 PM
lol now that's glock love :)

they're my favorite polymers too, but i don't fault anyone for not liking them :)

Gtscotty
June 6, 2011, 05:31 PM
That chump moderator on the other forum can't stand my Glock love.

lol.... Its been so long since i've heard anybody called a chump...... refreshing.

The G26 looks like a great pistol, I just wish it were a little more pocket-able, now if GLOCK made a thinner, lighter single stack sub compact 9mm, I'd be on it like the proverbial "stink on a monkey".

Tennessee Ned
June 6, 2011, 05:40 PM
I'm sure that there's nothing wrong with the Glock but I'll stick with the HK2000sk too. Mine has been nothing but reliable and I prefer semi-autos that have a hammer and a decocker.

psp7304
June 6, 2011, 06:43 PM
I have a Kahr CM-9 which has been perfect in 500 rounds. It is much more concealable than my Glock 26 and I'm amazed by the accuracy of this little pistol. I like it so much that I just sold my Glock 26.

Glockeroo
June 6, 2011, 07:39 PM
I have a Kahr CM-9 which has been perfect in 500 rounds. It is much more concealable than my Glock 26 and I'm amazed by the accuracy of this little pistol. I like it so much that I just sold my Glock 26.
I feel my G26 is such a monster in a small package. Plus it accepts the mags of its bigger brothers. I have the 33rnd mag for home defense as well. The recoil is the softest out of any 9mm I've ever fired.

JohnBT
June 6, 2011, 09:53 PM
"Speak your peace, and move on. What's so hard about that?"

Nothing at all. You have obviously moved on...to another forum.

Ben86
June 6, 2011, 10:19 PM
The G26 looks like a great pistol, I just wish it were a little more pocket-able, now if GLOCK made a thinner, lighter single stack sub compact 9mm, I'd be on it like the proverbial "stink on a monkey".

I'd buy one. You shouldn't hold your breath though, Glock is always slow to jump on the proverbial bandwagon. Meaning the slim CCW bandwagon in this instance.

I'd also wish they would make a dedicated .22 pistol. But, that probably won't happen either.

Apocalypse-Now
June 7, 2011, 02:36 AM
I'd also wish they would make a dedicated .22 pistol. But, that probably won't happen either.

their main market segment seems to be LE and military around the world. probably don't see a need to purchase new equipment/employees to pump out .22 caliber or slimline 9mm glocks just for the american market. just a theory :)

ChCx2744
June 7, 2011, 04:05 AM
IMO, I also strongly believe that GLOCKs chambered in 9mm are the best pistols EVER. (Both made and in existence today)

vaherder
June 7, 2011, 06:30 AM
Walther P99C or PPS. These Glock fan boys sound like Washington Redskin fans after the team owner Dan Snyder's latest preseason signings and other manueverings. They all believe the Skins are going to the SB and every year since 1999 they are disappointed. They will never win a SB w/Danny Boy Snyder as owner. Keep drinking the Kool Aid Glock fan boys.

You know Glock fan boys remind of my girlfriend and her friends talking about their favorite shoe designer. Glock really needs to come out w/ a Jimmy Choo version for you guys. Remember most state and local contracts just like Fed contracts for acquistion are low bid. You are not buying the best but the lowest cost.

Nothing is 100% reliable except for death and the woman in your life asking you if this dress makes her look fat. You need to have a plan and practice it when not if your hand gun fails to fire.

cemjr
June 7, 2011, 06:49 AM
My Kahr PM9 has now had thousands of rounds through it, ball/ hp, +p,reloads, 100% reliable.I carry it every day. I tried to buy a G26 for the wife, the mag pinched the s*** out of her finger every round, put it back in the show case.

hvychev77
June 7, 2011, 07:37 AM
i'm pretty sure that statistics prove that glock is without a doubt a phenomenal choice. i do own a glock 23 and 26. The 26 being my edc. I also own several other guns, which are not glocks, before someone jumps on me here. just speaking from experience here, i love my glocks, never had any issues with any of them at all. As far as going to the lowest bidder for law enforcement and whatnot, i'm sure there's some truth to that. but, i'm pretty sure that law enforcement also puts a lot of emphasis on reliability as well. simply put, anything that's man made, will eventually break or fail at some point, whether it's a glock, 1911, or whatever.....but for me, i'll stick to my glock, like it or not........thank god we live in america where we're allowed to have the rights to ccw and own weapons of our own choice.......

Pilot
June 7, 2011, 07:50 AM
I don't own any Glocks and am not a huge polymer fan, although I think it does have its place in modern firearms, especially for CCW. However, I have shot the G26 and G30, and I was VERY impressed at both the accuracy and the ease of shooting. The LEO community may buy them at low bid, but they wouldn't bet their lives on them if they didn't work.

I would NOT hesitate to buy and carry a G26. For this anti-polymer guy, it seems like one of the best 9MM CCW guns out there.

Jonah71
June 7, 2011, 10:41 AM
I like my G 26. A lot. Hasn't failed me once, even when rapidly firing 30 rounds (mag wouldn't take any more) from a somewhat impractical higher capacity mag last week. A waste of money and rounds, I know. I was just curious. Used the 17 and 10 round mags for another 200 rounds of serious practice without a single issue. Don't know if it's the best and since I have fired only about 6 other 9mms I couldn't possibly know. But it works for me.

group17
June 7, 2011, 10:52 AM
http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/8085/dsc03235o.jpg

I'm just as happy with my P99c as I am with my Glock.

easyg
June 7, 2011, 01:59 PM
But is there a small 9mm that can surpass Glock's reliability? I don't such a gun exists (that is in the small 9mm category).

Any takers out there?
A small 9mm that surpasses the RELIABILITY of the Glock 26...

Maybe this one:

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/allenXdog/HPIM5676.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/allenXdog/HPIM5678.jpg

Of course you sacrifice capacity.

I still prefer the G26....

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/allenXdog/HPIM7192.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/allenXdog/HPIM7188.jpg

MisterMike
June 7, 2011, 04:15 PM
I've had a G26 for a few years and it's never skipped a beat. However, you'll find similar levels of reliability among many of the brands mentioned above. See what feels most comfortable/easy to shoot accurately and buy it.

JustinJ
June 7, 2011, 05:23 PM
"A small 9mm that surpasses the RELIABILITY of the Glock 26..."

Are you referring to the pictured Taurus?! OVER A GLOCK!!!??? They're the only company i know of who can regularly put out a non-functional revolver.

Weevil
June 7, 2011, 05:34 PM
For those of you wondering about how certain pistols are picked by LEOs here's a GAO report on a complaint by Sig.

It seems Sig was upset that they put so much emphasis on reliability.

"Sig Sauer also contends that ATF placed too great an emphasis upon reliability in determining which offers should continue to phase III. In this regard, Sig Sauer argues that reliability was only one of a number of elements to be considered in the live-fire assessment, and notes that reliability was not identified as having any more importance than the other elements. We disagree."

http://www.gao.gov/decisions/bidpro/4023393.htm

Glock won the contract.

It's easy to say, "my mostest favoritest pistol is the bestest ever", but Glocks have many years of testing and use by numerous LEOs.

Does your pistol?

HK Jake
June 7, 2011, 05:43 PM
"A small 9mm that surpasses the RELIABILITY of the Glock 26..."

Are you referring to the pictured Taurus?! OVER A GLOCK!!!??? They're the only company i know of who can regularly put out a non-functional revolver.
Haha, yeah, I have to agree with this guy!

JustinJ
June 7, 2011, 05:58 PM
"It's easy to say, "my mostest favoritest pistol is the bestest ever", but Glocks have many years of testing and use by numerous LEOs.

Does your pistol?"

My pistol is an HKP2000. So yes it does.

Weevil
June 7, 2011, 06:14 PM
My pistol is an HKP2000. So yes it does.

Yes there are indeed others, the Beretta 92 series springs to mind also.

This is the kind of hard use and extensive testing that earns a gun my respect.

Any problem that a gun may have will eventually be exposed and more importantly documented.

The Glock .40 KBs and the E-series frame rail problem or the slide and locking block problem on the Berettas are typical of the sort of problems exposed by widespread usage by police and the military.

These sort of things could have been swept under the rug or blamed on user error with only commercial usage, but when these problems are documented by govt agencies it forces the maker to address them. Like the greater chamber support on newer Glock .40s or the changes made to the 92F that resulted in the 92FS.

SlowFuse
June 7, 2011, 09:17 PM
I cant complain on my G26. It has fed everything i've thrown at it, even stuff that usually jams my Sigs (Cheap Russina steel Monarch and WPA,Wolf, whatever its going by now) I personally don't have a semi auto that has outperformed my G26, but i'm not to say there isn't one. Ive heard of perfect reliability out of M&Ps and XDs (from friends) with less than 1500 rds through them... But only time will tell.

JohnBiltz
June 7, 2011, 09:41 PM
You can't have it both ways. If law enforcement only buys cheapest bid why did Glock replace all those S&W and Colts the police used to carry? Did they buy them because they were the cheapest bid also? What government contracts do is release specs and then take bids on what meets their standards.

Here is a question, name another gun with the same size or smaller that is as reliable and has the same or better firepower that costs about the same? M&Ps and SR9c are going to be bigger. Slim lines are going to have less capacity. HKs are both bigger and cost a lot more. Glock 26 has been around since 1995 when it was a serious innovation. Since then others have gotten close to it but no one has truly bettered it.

easyg
June 7, 2011, 09:51 PM
Have you ever owned a Taurus 905 9mm revolver?

Mine has been 100% with absolutely zero failures and zero issues.
Every time I pull the trigger it goes bang.

Apocalypse-Now
June 8, 2011, 06:54 AM
The Glock .40 KBs and the E-series frame rail problem or the slide and locking block problem on the Berettas are typical of the sort of problems exposed by widespread usage by police and the military.

glock 40 kabooms are caused by bad reloads.

my emp40 has FAR less case support than my glock 40cal, yet you hear nothing about them kabooming. why? because people don't fire 3-4 time reloads through $1,000+ 1911's, and there aren't nearly as many in circulation.

the e-series frame rale breaks were due to poor metallurgy.

JohnBT
June 8, 2011, 10:49 AM
"because people don't fire 3-4 time reloads through $1,000+ 1911's, and there aren't nearly as many in circulation."

They don't? There aren't? Based on whose figures?

JustinJ
June 8, 2011, 10:50 AM
"Have you ever owned a Taurus 905 9mm revolver?

Mine has been 100% with absolutely zero failures and zero issues.
Every time I pull the trigger it goes bang."

As i like to say, everyone i know with a taurus tells me about how great their customer service is which is exactly why i'll never buy one.

If 10% of a certain model don't work right there are still 90% satisfied customers but to me that gun is junk. Please don't take my comment to mean that 90% of taurus customers are satisfied or that 90% of their products work.

easyg
June 8, 2011, 12:20 PM
As i like to say, everyone i know with a taurus tells me about how great their customer service is which is exactly why i'll never buy one.
This is so typical on internet forums...

Someone bashing a product they have no personal experience with.

JustinJ
June 8, 2011, 12:27 PM
Define personal experience. A number of friends directly relaying their experiences with a gun to me is personal experience in my opinion.

This is so typical on internet forums...

People getting angry when others point out issues with a gun they bought.

451 Detonics
June 8, 2011, 01:20 PM
Are there any that surpasses a Glock 26 in the small 9mm category? I dont mean "equal to" or "very reliable too" but... "surpasses Glocks". That's the phrase I'm looking for.

If the Glock has been 100% from round one and my smaller Kel-Tec PF-9 has been 100% from round one it obviously can't surpass the Glock in reliability. It does surpass it in several other areas however.

Fishbed77
June 8, 2011, 01:41 PM

To the OP, this is the answer to your original question.

Walther P99c

On top of being stupidly reliable and time-proven, it will eat pretty much every concievable 9mm ammo. Something that can not be said for the G26.

amd6547
June 8, 2011, 01:52 PM
What kind of ammo won't the G26 feed?
When I was testing mine, I had a large baggy of mixed 9mm I had accumulated...FMJ of several different brands and weights, JHP of several different brands and weights...and ranger +P+ 127gn JHP. my prefered SD load.
The little G26 fed and fired them all, whether loaded in 10rd G26 mags or 17rd G17 mags.
It was very accurate with every load I tried...even out to 40yds.
Another plus for the G26...It has been around so long, and there are so many out there, that they can be found at reasonable prices on the used market...I bought mine for a very cheap price, used, like new.

easyg
June 8, 2011, 02:03 PM
Define personal experience. A number of friends directly relaying their experiences with a gun to me is personal experience in my opinion.
You can't be serious.

Any number of friends can relay their experience of Marine Boot Camp or Army Basic to a civilian, but that civilian would still have absolutely zero personal experience of Boot or Basic.

When it comes to personal experience, there is no gray area...it's black or white.

JustinJ
June 8, 2011, 02:13 PM
"When it comes to personal experience, there is no gray area...it's black or white."

So the only way of knowing if a product is good is to buy one myself? Hmmm, then i guess i cant believe that you've never had an issue with your either. Well heck, then i guess i cant believe anyone on this board. I guess all the other, and there are many, negative reports about Taurus products must be ignored by all? Seriously though, you can't just set new standards for discussing topics to try and ensure information agrees with your view.

Your analogy is comparing apples and oranges. You are talking about conveying an experience, with all the feelings and senstations involved, with exchanging facts about about what happened to or with a product.

Overkilll0084
June 8, 2011, 02:14 PM
Translation: My Glock love will not allow me to admit that there are equal or superior pistols out there. Please validate these feelings. :evil:
Like a woman with a new boob job. Fishing for validation. Just don't tell her they're lopsided.

JustinJ
June 8, 2011, 02:17 PM
"Like a woman with a new boob job. Fishing for validation. Just don't tell her they're lopsided."

In that situation i would happily tell her that i need to personally handle them to have first hand knowledge.

amd6547
June 8, 2011, 02:23 PM
There are, now, pistols which may equal the standard of the glock...But there certainly were not when the G26 was introduced...the G26 literally set a new standard.

Ruger Redhawk
June 8, 2011, 04:46 PM
I had a G26 for a few years. I didn't fire it much but it was 100% reliable. I sold it after I got a G27. Another very reliable gun. I wish now I would have kept the G26 which is allot cheaper to shoot. I would trust my life with a Glock over just about any other gun. Yes I have all different makes and models. The Glock works and works well.

Weevil
June 8, 2011, 08:55 PM
glock 40 kabooms are caused by bad reloads.

my emp40 has FAR less case support than my glock 40cal, yet you hear nothing about them kabooming. why? because people don't fire 3-4 time reloads through $1,000+ 1911's, and there aren't nearly as many in circulation.

Well Glock did increase the chamber support on their .40s.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n200/srebough/CaseSupport2-1.jpg

the e-series frame rale breaks were due to poor metallurgy.

What I heard was the machines that bent the rails were set wrong and the bend was too sharp making them more prone to breakage.

wristtwister
June 8, 2011, 09:23 PM
I always love to read these "Glocks are wonderful because... ". Geez, you'd think the waters parted and you could walk across the sea on dry land as long as you're carrying a Glock...

I'm working in a gun store and handling guns all day long, and have yet to find anything except a Glock 19 that actually fit my hand. As for reliability, I think the SR-9 series guns can match up with the Glockies, and are a hell of a lot more comfortable to shoot, and have more features on them.

Everybody got all warm and fuzzy over Glocks because they were the first real marketshare polymer guns out, and like some other brands I could mention, the zealots of their brand don't need facts to validate their claims... they're wonderful simply because they're the particular brand in question.

I've got lots of guns, and like the feel of the ones I keep. Others, like Glocks, never make the purchase line with me, and it isn't that I'm brand-discriminatory, just that they don't have the feel or features I like in a gun.

Like one of the posters said, you don't see guys on the internet throwing the guns at the target like they will with a Hi-Point when they're testing a $1000 Kimber, or driving a truck over it ... but they make fun of the low priced guns and worship at the altars of their brand... Be consistent... if you throw the Hi-Point, throw the kimber... if you run over the Hi-Point with a truck, run over the Kimber and then brag about it...

As a former mechanical engineer, I'm used to seeing destructive tests done... and the one thing I notice with gun fans is that they're willing to spend a little money to burn a cheap gun, but when it comes to doing the same test with a high priced one... that's a horse of a different color.

I have friends who swear by Glocks, and LOTS of customers that might have owned one at some time, but either traded it off or sold it after the new wore off. If it fits your hand, it's a keeper... if not, it's just another gun.

WT

W.E.G.
June 8, 2011, 09:41 PM
Geez, you'd think the waters parted and you could walk across the sea on dry land as long as you're carrying a Glock...

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/humor/jesusglock.jpg

Weevil
June 8, 2011, 09:48 PM
That is classic W.E.G.!

:D

JustinJ
June 9, 2011, 10:15 AM
"Like one of the posters said, you don't see guys on the internet throwing the guns at the target like they will with a Hi-Point when they're testing a $1000 Kimber"

They're not actually throwing the Hi-point. It's just the slide flying down range after they shot +P ammo.

Apparently "Turn the other cheek" means tilt your head to sight with the dominant eye.

wilbur970
June 11, 2011, 01:20 AM
http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/8085/dsc03235o.jpg

Thank you so much for posting that side by side picture!. Everyone on this site just assumes you know what gun they are referring to - thanks! (like all of the abbbreviations that get thrown around) MG

AZ Hawkeye
June 11, 2011, 01:48 AM
The "comfort of the grip" argument is really a nonstarter.

Why?

I can guarantee that for at least 80% of all people, the HK P30 (HK45) is one of the most or the most comfortable, best "fitting" handgun ever made. I've yet to come across a single person who has handled the P30 and called it "uncomfortable."

Sure, they may have called it uncomfortable at first due to small or large hands, but with a little swapping of the side and back straps, it goes back to my original statement.

Now, do I carry the HK P30? No, I do not; I carry a Glock 23 (Gen 3). I carry the Glock 23 because it is the perfect size for CCW for me and is undoubtedly the most proven autoloading handgun ever made (exception to the 9mm Glock models and you can probably group the Beretta M9 in here). Am I a big fan of the ergonomics? No, not really, but I still shoot it very accurately, and I know it will go bang every single time.

Sure, comfort is nice to have when you are shooting at the square range with your heart rate beating at "rest" levels. Do you think you'll notice how comfortable your grip is when you're in a life or death situation...?

Now, should you carry a gun if it fits so oddly you can't shoot it well? Well, duh, no! However, I think we all put a bit too much stock in the "comfort" department, as it's near the bottom of my list of importance for a defensive handgun.

Now, I'm not saying that Glocks are the be all, end all of handguns, as they aren't. There are other makes and models of guns that are as good as Glocks. The Glock, however, is a very fine machine, and it will do what you need it to do: fight to your rifle! :cool:

BigDeesul
June 11, 2011, 02:10 AM
XDM compact, hands down. And holds more ammo. If you can only carry 10 rounds, and worry about reliability, you might as well carry a revolver.

hvychev77
June 11, 2011, 02:15 AM
i've never seen a 10 round revolver.......

Apocalypse-Now
June 11, 2011, 02:18 AM
i've never seen a 10 round revolver.......

i think s&w makes a couple .22 caliber ones

BigDeesul
June 11, 2011, 02:22 AM
You need to get out more. Lot's of manufacturers make 10-shot .22's!!
I didn't mean to carry a 10-shot revolver literally. I meant if you're more worried about reliablilty than only carrying a gun with a 10-round mag, you'd be better off with a revolver.

You can carry an XDM compact 9mm, and with the hi-cap mag, have double the capacity as the glock, without having to deal with the goofy sights and grip angle.

hvychev77
June 11, 2011, 02:24 AM
i hear ya, but i'm not about to carry a .22, just a personal preference. i carry a g26 most of the time, but i also carry a little snubby .357 on the really hot days.........

JohnBT
June 11, 2011, 08:08 AM
http://www.usfirearms.com/cat/12-22.asp

12 shot .22 revolver. It's bigger than a Rohrbaugh and a spare mag.

TheProf
June 11, 2011, 02:08 PM
105 replies later.... there is no clear consensus on any other gun more reliable in the "small 9mm" category. (The M9...one of my favorites...does not count, for its in the "full size" category.)

Seems like the conversation started to drift off into "Glocks are the cheapest" to "glock .40s kaboom" discussions...and drifted to .22 caliber revolvers!!!! (How did we even get to that topic?)

But... back to the original question.. I don't think that an alternative was really given to rival the G26.

Any more takers?

Last call....

sheepdog96
June 11, 2011, 07:29 PM
But... back to the original question.. I don't think that an alternative was really given to rival the G26.

I found my M&P9c to be very comparable to the G26. I owned a 2nd gen G26 and maybe it was my lack of familiarity with firearms at that point in time but it just didnt not fit me well. I have found my M&P to have a extremely durable finish which if I recall correctly to be a little better then the Glock. They seems to have very similar triggers out of the box but with the APEX RAM upgrade the M&P trigger is one of the best available. A very clean break and extremely pronounced reset.

I dont think one could replace the other but ehy both IMO are on a level playing field.

huduguru
June 23, 2011, 09:42 PM
"XDM compact, hands down. And holds more ammo. If you can only carry 10 rounds, and worry about reliability, you might as well carry a revolver."

Hands down? I doubt it. I don't think XDs have been subject to the extensive
T&E programs that Glock and the S&W M&P have. These T&E programs uncover many bugs in a pistol design. What major PD or military even uses the XD OR XDm?
:confused:

CZ57
June 23, 2011, 10:01 PM
What major PD or military even uses the XD OR XDm?

What major PD or military even uses the Glock 26? ;)

huduguru
June 23, 2011, 10:12 PM
"What major PD or military even uses the Glock 26?"

Did I mention the 26 specifically? No. I mentioned Glock, XD
and XDM. The basic designs are the same between the full size
versions and compact of both pistols. Reading comprehension
is important. ;)

CZ57
June 23, 2011, 10:16 PM
:what:...

Ben86
June 25, 2011, 01:56 PM
I found my M&P9c to be very comparable to the G26.

Same here. This coming from someone who really likes Glocks. The aftermarket changes I make to Glocks are what come standard with the M&P.

Zerodefect
June 25, 2011, 02:28 PM
I know of no gun in the same class as the Glock 26 that outperforms it or is more reliable.

There are better smaller guns. There are better larger guns (for some shooters). Niether of those are really suited for the same purpose. The G26 is the best subcompact double-stack pistol out there.

-easy to swap sights
-excellent aftermarket sight selection
-excellent rust resistant finish that is very hard
-great magazine quality
-tons of aftermarket triggers
- very easy to maintain
-inexpensive to do regular maintenance. Springs and small parts are cheap to replace

Ben86
June 25, 2011, 06:52 PM
-easy to swap sights
-excellent aftermarket sight selection
-excellent rust resistant finish that is very hard
-great magazine quality
-tons of aftermarket triggers
- very easy to maintain
-inexpensive to do regular maintenance. Springs and small parts are cheap to replace

Sounds like you are describing my M&P9C. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "G26 the most reliable small 9mm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!