AK or VZ

PDA

red rick
June 4, 2011, 09:19 AM
I have been looking at the milled AK's and all the one's that I see IMO are over priced. I know buy a stamped one.

The VZ looks like it is in my price range, but I see that CZ discontinued it here. So that has me thinking getting one might be a bad idea because of parts and if there was a problem with it, getting it fixed.

What do ya/ll think?

If you enjoyed reading about "AK or VZ" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
InkEd
June 4, 2011, 09:40 AM
They are a bit different guns. The VZ may be "inspired" by the AK but it's not a variant. This is neither a good or bad thing. It is just something of which to be aware. (However, I think you already know know it.) Both are good guns and the VZ (like other CZ guns) have a bit of a cult following. You will be well served by either platform if you buy one that is well manufactured. I would not be concerned about replacement parts. Companies keep parts long after they cease product of a product. If you are into accessories, you'll have more options with the AK. Personally, I would buy a nice stamped AK from K-Var/Arsenal and be done with it.

aka108
June 4, 2011, 09:53 AM
I own a milled reciever Arsenal AK and several stock Saigas which are now the base for building the new Arsenal AK's. While the milled unit cost 3 1/2 times what I paid for the Saigas (199 each) they all shoot with the same accuracy or better stated the same lack of it which is typical for AK's. So far a shooting fun goes they are all equal.

Shear_stress
June 4, 2011, 10:06 AM
I've got both AK-clones and Vz.58s. Both are a lot of fun but I much prefer the way the Vz.58 handles.

The VZ looks like it is in my price range, but I see that CZ discontinued it here.

Sales are being continued by Czechpoint and gun and parts availability are nothing to worry about. The Vz has become hugely popular in recent years not just because of the quality, but because many states (and whole countries like Canada) have banned AK-variants by name. The Vz.58 isn't going away in the forseeable future.

http://www.czechpoint-usa.com/

armoredman
June 4, 2011, 11:14 AM
Czechpoint is a great company, with fantastic customer service, and inexpensive magazines. Come over to czfirearms.us and czech out the vz-58 forum for a lot more info.
The vz-58 has only one thing in common with the AK - caliber. It is a milled reciever that is 1 pound lighter than a stamped AK. I have had three AKs, including a nice Hungarian back in the day, but I really like my vz-58, awesome rifle.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/CZ%20posters/vz58andchestpouch.jpg

Shown with poly joint folding stock, FAB quad railed forearm, (small siderails never installed by me), and folding foregrip, plus Neit Arms extended bolt release. Not shown, added after pic was taken, Neit Arms ambi extended mag release. I really reccomend the Neit products, and the NEA railed forearm setup is low enough to cowitness optics...looking forward to trying one of those soon. Chest pouch is by Blackhawk, and holds vz-58 mags with no major issues.

VA27
June 4, 2011, 11:16 AM
If I had it to do all over, I'd get a VZ.

goon
June 4, 2011, 11:48 AM
I have a friend who has several AK's and SKS's. Now that he has a VZ-58 it's become his pet. He really likes it. It's lighter than a stamped AK, more accurate (at least his is), and reliable. He's tried to talk me into getting one, but I am kind of set on an AR-15 at this point.
Good to see that the spare parts availability is going to be there though.

ifit
June 4, 2011, 05:24 PM
i purchased my cz-usa vz58 from jg sales couple years back, but you get the same rifle at czech point, but not sure if they have them them in gray finish. and since you mentioned milled receiver, you cant go wrong with the vz milled receiver which is lighter than an ak stamped one.

Moose458
June 5, 2011, 11:28 AM
With out a doubt, the CZ vz58 is a better rifle. I like my AKs, but not nearly as much as my VZ.

navajo
June 5, 2011, 03:02 PM
My AR 15s sit in the safe since I got my CZ 58. The Czechpoint is pricey but the milled semi only receiver is made by the folks who made the original full auto receiver for the Czech military. No brainer.

briang2ad
June 5, 2011, 03:35 PM
As said, they are quite different. For apples to apples (price), compare arsenal to CP vz-58.

Ak: more parts and ability to change muzzle device. Great mags for 10 bucks apoiece.

Vz: bolt hold open, more quality in machined rec, lighter, better safety,

both gun and mags are lighter. Czechpoint is a great company. Order gun, walk into ffl, do bgc, and walk out. Great.

Also, some of the accessories available will surprise you. Total railed fore-end for less than 200 dollars.

rocinante
June 5, 2011, 06:35 PM
I have 2 century vz and 1 converted saiga. Thinking of selling the saiga.

jeepguy
June 5, 2011, 09:23 PM
i personally think if you get a good ak or a check point vz 58 you will be good to go. i have heard mixed reviews on century products. my guess is their quality control is the problem, leaving some with very good rifles & some with a few problems to some with a lot of problems. so for me why take the chance, just go with a quality manufacturer from the start. i have an arsenal sgl 21 & couldn't be happier, in fact i hope to pick up another one.

leadcounsel
June 5, 2011, 09:43 PM
I have and like both. The VZ is noticably smaller and lighter. You can't go wrong with either. My AKs are a variety (MAK90s and Yugos) and my VZ58s are Century.

If you enjoyed reading about "AK or VZ" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!