Eye dominance poll.

PDA

00__LUGER__00
June 4, 2011, 04:34 PM
Hi all. I am wondering if anyone else shoots with a different eye in different situations. I shoot with my left eye with handguns, and my right eye with rifles. I am normally left eye dominant. Answer yes or no and tell us the specifics!

If you enjoyed reading about "Eye dominance poll." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Caliper_RWVA
June 4, 2011, 04:48 PM
Right handed, left eyed so I usually do the same - left for handgun (working on both open though) and right for rifles. Working on switching to shooting shotgun left handed though.

Mike J
June 4, 2011, 05:06 PM
Pretty much same as ya'all. Right handed left eye dominant. Pistols left eye. Rifles right eye.

June 4, 2011, 05:11 PM
I am right handed and left eye dominant. I keep my left eye closed while shooting.

rodregier
June 4, 2011, 05:17 PM
Cross-dominant. Handgun w/left eye, long guns with right. Righthanded.

Loosedhorse
June 4, 2011, 05:49 PM
Nearly co-dominant, but right is preferred. What that means is that I have to close the non-aiming eye (briefly) to line up my sights, whichever eye I use.

It also means that, when using right-sided barricades, I can shift the gun to my left hand and use my left eye. Keeps my exposure low, so I like that.

(Before anyone offers to "cure" me, I've been doing this for decades, it works for me, and I'm not going to change. So sayeth the old guy. :D)

I am definitely "right-shouldered" though--have tried to use rifles and shotguns off the left shoulder, and it is awkward to say the least.

Stevie-Ray
June 4, 2011, 05:59 PM
Cross-dominant. Handgun w/left eye, long guns with right. Righthanded. Same.

hardluk1
June 4, 2011, 06:04 PM
Same as stevie and rod

tyeo098
June 4, 2011, 07:31 PM
Before I picked up firearms in college, i always shot left handed, my brother said I was doing it wrong, and masterchief agreed. When my friend and I first went shooting, I held the 22 in my left hand, he asked me "Are you right handed?" I said yes and he said "Cut that (crap) out, use your right hand"

I never shot left handed again haha

ojibweindian
June 4, 2011, 07:36 PM
Both eyes when shooting handguns, both eyes when shooting my shotgun, right eye when shooting my rifles.

Konstantin835
June 4, 2011, 07:47 PM
I'm right hand/right eye dominate and shoot right eye with rifles and both eyes with pistols.

azmjs
June 4, 2011, 08:02 PM
I'm left eye dominant and right handed and always shoot either with my left eye or else with both eyes open.

16shells
June 4, 2011, 08:06 PM
Same as Konstantin.

Robert
June 4, 2011, 08:27 PM
I am left eye dominant and right handed, but I shoot just fine with my right eye so I have not tried to change what ain't broke.

Manco
June 4, 2011, 08:57 PM
Neither of my eyes is dominant and I shoot ambidextrously (albeit mostly on the right side), so I use whatever eye is on the same side as my trigger finger. And I always keep both eyes open, regardless of the type of firearm. I don't know about everybody else, but I always see two sets of sights; knowing which to use is obvious and a non-issue, though.

spartand003
June 4, 2011, 10:08 PM
I shoot right handed with my right eye, but I may try the other way around sometime. Who knows, I may like it.

zxcvbob
June 4, 2011, 10:21 PM
Left handed, and left eye dominant. The only time I use my right eye is if I'm practicing shooting around the right side of cover (that's not very often)

shotgunjoel
June 4, 2011, 10:24 PM
I'm right handed and left eyed. I shoot long guns right handed, though I learned to shoot rifles left handed (with a right handed bolt gun). Handguns, I use either eye. I don't really think about it, I just bring it up and use whichever eye I subconsciously choose.

I am definitely "right-shouldered" though--have tried to use rifles and shotguns off the left shoulder, and it is awkward to say the least.
I can agree with that, I tried shooting my shotgun left-shouldered for a few shells, and it beat me up.

wrs840
June 4, 2011, 10:33 PM
I'm right handed and left-eye dominant, but I've shot everything right-handed with my left eye closed since I was a kid. I realize this is probably less than ideal, but it seems to work for me, and at 52, I'm not stressing about changing my habit.

Dryft
June 4, 2011, 10:44 PM
Ambidextrous and left eye dominant, and I shoot handguns right-handed with my left eye and long guns left handed with my left eye. What can I say? It works for me.

matrem
June 4, 2011, 10:47 PM
Always shoot long guns left handed. When shooting weak side with handguns, always seem to gravitate to my left eye without thinking about it.

gpr
June 4, 2011, 10:50 PM
i use both eyes...i need all the help i can get.....

Sooner1911
June 4, 2011, 11:18 PM
I am right handed, but I shoot pool and long guns left handed and am right eye dominant. Sucks on a rifle but I usually use a scope so no big problems so far. I shoot pistol right handed with both eyes open and the cast on my shotgun allows me to deal with it using both eyes.

ChCx2744
June 5, 2011, 02:14 AM
I usually keep my right eye open and left eye closed, but sometimes I keep both eyes open and focus with the left and sometimes I close my right eye and keep my left eye open; a majority of the time I keep my right eye open and left eye closed, though.

Zach S
June 5, 2011, 03:18 PM
I always use my dominate eye, which is on the wrong side.

Handguns get shot right handed, longarms are fired from the wrong shoulder. Both eyes open, all the time.

edit: Most of the time... I have to squint my left eye when shooting longarms from the right shoulder.

Standing Wolf
June 5, 2011, 03:42 PM
I've tried repeatedly to shoot with my weak eye, but all I've ever done was put holes in air, not paper.

Vern Humphrey
June 5, 2011, 04:21 PM
In my younger days, I had 20/10 vision -- fighter pilot's vision. But as I got older, I became farsighted in my right (master) eye and near sighted in my left.

I retrained myself to shoot a handgun with the left eye (the trick is to tip the head slightly to the right.) After a while I found I could see both the sights and target -- the sights with the left eye, the target with the right. The brain will superimpose the sights on the target naturally.

ball3006
June 5, 2011, 04:26 PM
I have no dominate eye. I can shoot with either eye and either hand......chris3

P5 Guy
June 5, 2011, 04:46 PM
I'm left eye dominate and mostly right handed. I do not want to shoot rifle lefty.

Vern Humphrey
June 5, 2011, 04:54 PM
My great-grandfather was ambidexterous -- he couldn't write with either hand.:neener:

dagger dog
June 5, 2011, 05:00 PM
Both eyes open with rifle or shotgun, left or right eye with handgun, was forced to go that way problem with cataracts that aren't ready for surgery.

Have ya'll heard the one about the Japanese opthalmoligist?
He thought a cataract was an expensive American car!
One of his buddies didn't like cataracts so he bought a Rincoln Continential!

Odd Job
June 5, 2011, 05:01 PM
I'm right handed, left eye dominant.
Handguns I aim left eye, scoped rifle or crossbow right eye, and my last rifle has a reflex dot which I find is just right for both eyes open.

AethelstanAegen
June 5, 2011, 05:29 PM
I'm the same as the OP. I'm left eye dominant but mostly right handed now (used to be ambidextrous as a kid) so handguns are fired aiming with my left eye (though both eyes typically open) and I fire longarms from the right shoulder with my left eye (typically closing the left eye). I'm curious to try a rifle with a reflex dot as I guessed I might fare as well as Odd Job seems to with one.

If you enjoyed reading about "Eye dominance poll." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!