Research Help-Cities with Handgun Bans

PDA

Birddog1911
June 4, 2011, 08:40 PM
I'm putting together my outline and speech for my Oral Communications class, arguing against handgun bans. I'm trying to point out cities other than Chicago, D.C., and New York that have outright bans, or defacto bans.

Any help would be appreciated, as I'm overloaded researching Heller as well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Research Help-Cities with Handgun Bans" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Deanimator
June 4, 2011, 09:52 PM
Legally, NO cities have handgun bans anymore.

I think that Oak Park, IL HAD a ban.

GRIZ22
June 4, 2011, 10:59 PM
New York doesn't have a ban, they make it difficult and expensive to buy a handgun.

whalerman
June 4, 2011, 11:11 PM
Yup, there are no handgun bans anymore. They just continue to not let citizens have them. Only in the land of lawyers could this happen.

TexasBill
June 5, 2011, 05:04 AM
Well, Washington D.C. still has a de facto ban unless another FFL has opened. Morton Grove, Illinois used to have one (IIRC, they were the first city to ban civilian ownership of handguns), but they repealed it before Heller.

You might consider bringing up Kennesaw, Georgia, the first city in modern times to enact a requirement for households to own a firearm. Compare the experiences of Kennesaw and Morton Grove.

Carl N. Brown
June 5, 2011, 06:35 AM
De facto gun bans work like de facto voter disenfrancishment, like literacy tests: in parts of the the old south, whites who could read a newspaper in English could vote, blacks who could read a newspaper in Mandarin Chinese could vote. You could say that if a black man who could read Mandarin could vote in Bugfrelle Mississippi, then there was no ban on black voting under Jim Crow laws.

In New York City, the bar for getting a pistol permit is set so high (the commissioner in charge of permits gets a free box ticket to best seat in concert AND free pass to the after-concert party in exchange for a pistol permit for the rock star) you may as well regard NYC pistol permits as the tactical equivalent of the olde tyme "Key to the City" awarded to important hoitie toities. Its a de facto ban for the poi palloi. That's my not so humble opinion.

On a more academic note: in Fordham Urban Law Journal (Nov 1998), Suzanne Novak, Fordham U NY, discussed the shortcomings of the Sullivan Act as blantant violation of "due process" and "equal justice" under the New York state constitution (NY state does not have a RKBA like most other states). www.saf.org/LawReviews/Novak1.html

cbrgator
June 6, 2011, 10:32 PM
There were not many cities that had outright handgun bans even before Heller and McDonald. I am assuming you are trying to show that cities like Chicago and DC had incredibly high crime rates despite the existence of handgun bans.

You should probably look into cities located in states with burdensome gun control laws.

Offhand, I can think of Baltimore, MD and Newark, NJ. My guess is there is at least one city in California that fits the profile.

Baltimore and Newark both have high crime rates despite being located in states that have enacted some of the nations strictest gun control laws.

If you enjoyed reading about "Research Help-Cities with Handgun Bans" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!