Near Glocknade.

PDA

40dash1
June 4, 2011, 08:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbGNn1-aSjQ&feature=channel_video_title

Went to the range yesterday, everything was going fine until this happened. I shot around 20 rounds until there was what I initially thought was a simple FTF jam. I tapped and racked, only for the slide to return to the point that it was during the shot before, about a quarter inch out of battery.
I got a bit suspicious and field stripped. After looking down the barrel I located the projectile (no brass) about a half inch in completely lodged. This isnt my gun but I told the owner even if he gets the projectile out he should send it into Glock. Im having trouble deciding what exactly happened though. Any ideas?

If you enjoyed reading about "Near Glocknade." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Waywatcher
June 4, 2011, 08:49 PM
Sounds like a squib--a round with no powder. Good thing the next round didn't fit in all the way.

Usually a squib should sound noticeably different.

The Lone Haranguer
June 4, 2011, 08:51 PM
This is almost certainly a "squib" load, i.e., defective - or no - powder in the case. The primer fires and pushes the bullet out of the case, but does not have enough power to push it all the way through the rifled barrel, leaving it lodged. There was not enough blowback force to eject the case, which accounts for the slide not returning to battery. If no shot was fired after that, no repair is necessary. Just field strip the gun, remove the barrel, put it in a vise and punch out the bullet.

SharpsDressedMan
June 4, 2011, 08:52 PM
A squib might sound like a FTF with ear muffs on (almost no audible sound). Good thing you checked visually.

40dash1
June 4, 2011, 08:56 PM
ah. thanks guys, this is the first time that sort of thing happened to me.. Apologies to Glock for assuming it was an error in their gun.

P-32
June 4, 2011, 08:58 PM
Yup, looks like a squib

PO2Hammer
June 4, 2011, 09:44 PM
It doesn't need to go back to Glock.

The Lone Haranguer
June 4, 2011, 11:24 PM
It was a good thing you didn't try to load and fire another round behind the stuck bullet. :uhoh: That would have been bad news.

Ben86
June 4, 2011, 11:50 PM
Yikes, maybe I should stay away from tulammo. Good job checking the gun when things don't seem right.

TheNev
June 5, 2011, 12:27 AM
I had the same situation with my P-01 using Remington UMC ammo. Fortunately the next round wouldn't chamber.
The round fired normally and even ejected the case. If the round chambered, I would have pulled the trigger on the next one.

Still gives me the willies when I think about what could have happened.

Apocalypse-Now
June 5, 2011, 12:34 AM
just needs to be tapped out with a wooden dowel. no big deal. ammo QC sucks nowadays.

REAPER4206969
June 5, 2011, 02:05 AM
The pistol is fine.

Jed Carter
June 5, 2011, 07:15 AM
Did anyone mention that it was a "Squib round and the pistol is fine"? ;)

40dash1
June 5, 2011, 01:47 PM
So now we get to the real question.
Did this Glock 19 fail to return to battery "knowing" there was a barrel obstruction?
Did TheNevs' CZ do the same thing? Is this common for gun manufacturers to have some sort of safety for this type of mistake? Until you get on that line and almost pull the trigger that would result in a blown up pistol and maybe worse these questions may seem like overkill. They arent

TheNev
June 5, 2011, 02:04 PM
40dash1: I really don't think this situation is a built in safety feature from the gun mfg's. I think it was just a lucky coincidence that the round got lodged just far enough that the next round wouldn't chamber.

In my case, it was less than 1/8" out of battery.

40dash1
June 5, 2011, 02:17 PM
In my case, it was less than 1/8" out of battery.
take a look at my video, mine was pretty close to being in battery as well.
At least we're both ok though!
In the meantime, shoot AK's!
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad92/40dash1/Untitled.gif

PO2Hammer
June 5, 2011, 02:21 PM
There was no safety net, just pure luck that the bullet didn't go down the barrel just a bit further and allow the next round to chamber.

Where did the ammo come from?
Let me guess, a hand load made by an inexperienced loader on a progressive press?

40dash1
June 5, 2011, 02:28 PM
your guess is wrong sir.
Let me guess, you didnt read the thread?

PO2Hammer
June 5, 2011, 03:14 PM
Missed it in the video the first time.

I don't mean to be a hemorrhoid, glad you and the gun are OK.

PO2Hammer
June 5, 2011, 03:19 PM
Here's a good Glock site for shooters new to Glocks. (http://www.glockfaq.com/)

Ben86
June 6, 2011, 09:26 AM
Did this Glock 19 fail to return to battery "knowing" there was a barrel obstruction?

Yes, I'm sure it knew damn well what was going on and didn't even bat an eyelash. Serious disregard of safety by that Glock 19.

If you enjoyed reading about "Near Glocknade." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!