1911 Question

PDA

lono
June 4, 2011, 10:57 PM
If you wanted and high end 1911, would you go with a Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Dan Wesson or Ed Brown?

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MICHAEL T
June 5, 2011, 12:17 AM
1 Wilson Combat, 2 Ed Brown

Dan Wesson not in the same league as the above at least 1 step down
Nighthawk, the ones I have handled were not as nice as a Wilson or a Brown

Zerodefect
June 5, 2011, 12:20 AM
I went with Dan Wesson.

The extra mile the others go isn't something I really need. Besides, I'm making the extra changes on my own anyways. Sights, tune, finish, etc.

$3000+ is alot to spend on a 1911.

ETA: Deos Nighthawk make anything without a huge gaudy logo?

Apocalypse-Now
June 5, 2011, 12:21 AM
of those, wilson combat.

you should add springfield armory's custom carry or PRO models to your list as well :) the PRO model beat out wilson combat to win the FBI HRT contract ;)

never been interested in dan wessons. they seem to over look the details. unacceptable at the prices they command. although, people on the DW forum seem to think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread lol.

nighthawk would be one i would NEVER consider. they're the kimber of the high end 1911 world. google NHC probs, and your computer will explode (or simply visit the 1911forum). since ron phiilips left NHC to go on his own a few years ago, they've been wrought with problems of every kind.

look at the pics of this NHC Talon, and let me know if you'd be content with the $2,600 you spent on it: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=180265 :eek:

Tomcat47
June 5, 2011, 12:22 AM
I Love Wilsons...but that is an uneducated response!

I know Ed Browns are nice as well.

All I have ever had or have are not in those categories!:rolleyes:

But a Man can dream cant he!

Respectively:
Bob-Tail Professional
X-TAC
Two Tone Supergrade

Drool....drool.....drool....drool....:p

9mmepiphany
June 5, 2011, 12:58 AM
Of the ones you have listed, I'd have a hard time choosing.

The Dan Wesson is the solid leader in the mid-priced 1911 range, but not really a high end production 1911. However I highly recommend them as a good choice to start with if sending it to a Custom smith to have it made just right

I think you are really limiting your choices by not including the Les Baer 5" line (the most accurate) and the Springfield Armory Professional (the choice of the FBI SWAT and HRT troops)

If I had to choose one from your list...and was limited to not having additional work done to it...I'd take the Ed Brown

gggman
June 5, 2011, 09:11 AM
I don't own one, but Les Baer makes spectacular 1911's.

Walkalong
June 5, 2011, 09:29 AM
STI, Les Baer or Ed Brown, depending on the money available. I want a Commander length Les Baer Monolith.

InkEd
June 5, 2011, 09:52 AM
Wilson or Ed Brown. Probably, Wilson for the money.

lono
June 5, 2011, 10:06 AM
I should have included Les Baer. I already own a springfield and would not consider Springfield for this question. Note my springfield is a production model and I am sure there higher end guns are of a higher quality.

Jim Watson
June 5, 2011, 10:10 AM
If there were a first class gunsmith who would recognize my existence within a year, I would have a Colt customized. The nicest Wilson I ever saw was a worked over Colt.

Skylerbone
June 5, 2011, 10:32 AM
I'd choose the DW Valor and ship it to Severns Custom. I can't see spending the money unless the choices are up to me.

dhodgins
June 5, 2011, 10:38 AM
None of 'em. If I've got $2500 to spend on a 1911 then I've surely got $5000 to spend, and with that, I'm going with Heirloom, Chen, or Harrison. Just because :D

Tomcat47
June 5, 2011, 11:09 AM
Of the Dream Wilsons I listed there is a large price spread!

I have not even gone to high end Colt or anything customized yet! Mine are all stock/out of the box shooters. My next may be a Kimber Eclipse Target and it is not even in the field of high end comparitively.

And when considering High End 1911's I hope as I get more educated on the High End Platform of 1911 I begin to understand these prices and what relegates the prices.

Bob-Tail Professional - $2950.00
X-TAC - $2650.00
Two Tone Supergrade - $4650.00

It would be sad to spend $5k on a pistol that shoots no better than a $1k pistol.

But maybe its just got to do with bragging rights?

918v
June 5, 2011, 12:19 PM
Springfield Custom is better than any of the above.

Apocalypse-Now
June 5, 2011, 12:28 PM
^^agreed.

38 Super Fan
June 5, 2011, 12:36 PM
Springfield Custom is better than any of the above.

I may have to agree with you there. ;)

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n602/hackman1911/TGO1003.jpg

That said, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the above, (though I don't think DW is quite in the same league as the others) I'm planning on buying one of each myself. :)

Tomcat47
June 5, 2011, 01:33 PM
918 .... At least I stated I was uneducated on High End 1911's :)

Skylerbone
June 5, 2011, 01:38 PM
Aparently you're not alone.

Walkalong
June 5, 2011, 02:01 PM
Springfield Custom is better

I certainly agree they are very nice. I picked this old warhorse up used for a good price. It is a sweet shooter. (.38 Super by the way)

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=143520&stc=1&d=1307296863

JROC
June 5, 2011, 02:14 PM
I would go with a Colt Special Combat Government.

ghitch75
June 5, 2011, 02:18 PM
wilson is my pick.....

http://i51.tinypic.com/2d0ayiu.jpg

9mmepiphany
June 5, 2011, 02:20 PM
I'd choose the DW Valor and ship it to Severns Custom. I can't see spending the money unless the choices are up to me.
I'm not disagreeing with the logic...and for a working gun, that is what I would do...but, if you were dealing with a real custom gun, wouldn't that be like telling da Vinci how to layout The Last Supper

451 Detonics
June 5, 2011, 02:59 PM
If you wanted and high end 1911, would you go with a Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Dan Wesson or Ed Brown?

None of the above...I would build it myself. Whether for carry or competition I know I can turn out a product that will equal any of those mentioned for function and accuracy. If I were going to buy one to carry I would most likely go with the Clark Meltdown on a Commander. http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/meltdown.htm For competition I would go with an STI 2011 set up for the type of competition I was interested in.

Zach S
June 5, 2011, 03:32 PM
I'd probably start with a good frame and slide, and then drop it off to have a smith build it. It would end up looking a lot like a Mil-Spec built on a Caspian Recon frame.

Zerodefect
June 5, 2011, 03:57 PM

This is what I plan to do with my Valor as soon as I'm done customizing it. (allmost done, sights are in the mail)

A working mans 1911 shouldn't cost more than a bolt action rifle w/scope that can hit a 0.5MOA target at 1000 yards with enough force to drop a large deer......

......or even worse a Larue OBR that can do allmost the same thing rapid fire.

:scrutiny:$4500+ for a Wilson? :scrutiny:

JROC
June 5, 2011, 04:10 PM
What about a Fusion?
http://www.fusionfirearms.com/

Aren't they suppose to be a very good, highend 1911?

Apocalypse-Now
June 5, 2011, 04:43 PM
^^saw a lot of complaint threads on fusions on the 1911forum. then they raised their prices a year or two ago on top of it lol. not sure why anyone would choose them over the "known" brands.

38 Super Fan
June 5, 2011, 05:46 PM
What about a Fusion?
http://www.fusionfirearms.com/

Aren't they suppose to be a very good, highend 1911?

Even before all the QC issues they still weren't on par with semi custom manufacturers like Wilson, Brown etc. Now they're also crazy overpriced.

918v
June 5, 2011, 05:59 PM
Get a Springer Custom Carry. Trust me, it's everything you want... put together like a Sig P210.

JROC
June 5, 2011, 07:04 PM
Has anyone on here had any of their Ed Brown pieces start to go bad? Since February I've been through 3 of their magwells. The MSH is fine, but the magwell piece that connects to it keeps pitting, staining, and corroding/rusting. The only thing we can figure out is that the MSH is machined whereas the magwell piece is cast, but unless it is just some really cheap stainless it should not be corroding the way they been do on me especially so quick. I'm talking about a matter of day, and maybe a week at the most B/F the start to go bad. The current one they sent me isn't doing it as bad, but it is a little, and I'm just tired of sending it back to them.

SIGLBER
June 5, 2011, 07:27 PM
1. Wilson.
2. Ed Brown.
3. Les Bear.

Apocalypse-Now
June 5, 2011, 08:19 PM
Has anyone on here had any of their Ed Brown pieces start to go bad?

i have both wilson and brown parts that i fitted to my 1911's.

you have to be selective about their aftermarket parts, some are great quality, and some are crap.

i google the specific part i want and read experiences before i buy them. don't have a mag well so can't tell you about that specific one.

Tomcat47
June 5, 2011, 10:51 PM
Zero.......:scrutiny:$4500+ for a Wilson?:scrutiny:

Thats what I mean! Where do these prices come from?

I have already stated to everyone ...I am a green horn to high end 1911's

I Love Wilson's and those prices I posted are from GB!

And They are Beautiful Pistols! What is it that goes into a High End 1911 that makes it worth thousands more than my Taurus PT1911?

And Go Ahead and bust my A$$ over my Taurus, but I shot it at the Range beside a Wilson (Model ?) supposedly $2500.00 aprox. and My Taurus Shot Right On With it...I Shot His He Shot mine....even give it a compliment!

Please dont start a Taurus Bash....As A Green horn I am asking the question to be educated to move forward... I totally want a Wilson one day....I will probably go through a Kimber first? Or Do you just learn whats going on here at THR and save up for the Wilson?

And Actually I do not ever see me buying the $4500.00 Supergrade Wilson...Its Beautiful, but I could see myself buying the X TAC Or Maybe the BobTail?

surjimmy
June 6, 2011, 07:59 AM
Les Baer, lot less money same gun. Customer service 2nd to none. Les answers his own phone, and is always willing to talk and answer any questions even if your not buying from his factory.IMO Dan Wesson is not anywhere near the class of Baer, Wilson, Brown. They make a nice gun, but never thought of them as a high end 1911. High price, but not high end.

451 Detonics
June 6, 2011, 08:09 AM
Thats what I mean! Where do these prices come from?

You are paying a lot for the name on the gun, might give you some bragging rights in some circles but that is about it. You are also paying for looks...of course neither of those two things have anything to do with accuracy or reliability. You can buy a very nice 70 Series Gold Cup for around $1000 today and many of the new STI guns combine accuracy and reliability that easily equal the boutique guns for much less money.

ghitch75
June 6, 2011, 08:20 AM
i thought the same as 451 about hi-end 1911's till i bought 1.....i have GCNM and pre 70's NM and i can say that the fit and smoothness of Wilson's is second to none....i have shot and owned many 1911's and Wilson's are the finest i have ever had......i guess i was lucky to get the one i have for what i think was a great price at $1600.00 used...keep huntin' around there out for less than 2k....

Leaky Waders
June 6, 2011, 06:47 PM
"I would go with a Colt Special Combat Government."

Me too...that's what I did - here's the thread with a quick review.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=586507&highlight=special+combat+government

Magnumite
June 6, 2011, 08:50 PM
$1800 typically will get one a great performing 1911 from top builders. There are other refinements in the one man shops that can blow your mind. There are some out there whose quest it is to be ever wringing out ever more accuracy and shootability from the guns they build. Additional costs are in the individualized methodology and finite detail of the small customs and in asthetics, as mentioned earlier.

This thread has really gravitated toward practical use of upper end guns. I own a Baer, had a Wilson, shot 2 other Wilsons and two world class full customs. I identify most with the Baer pistols - all meat and no potatoes. One day I will have another Wilson simply because the CQB's are classic hard use guns and I admire Bill Wilson's insight to the 1911 and his customer base.

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!