PDA

trultemor
June 5, 2011, 08:36 AM
Got this one in the mail yesterday.:D

2.2 to 3.7 oz.....:what:

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo329/tnt85/Guns/7c2ee86b.jpg
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo329/tnt85/Guns/190cef93.jpg
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo329/tnt85/Guns/b88e3c7a.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "New modular suppressor" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hso
June 5, 2011, 08:40 AM
Interesting idea.

M-Cameron
June 5, 2011, 01:18 PM
looks like a great idea.......

my only concern is that the threads could unscrew....and then half your suppressor goes flying down range.

kingpin008
June 6, 2011, 06:19 PM
Mind telling us a little about it? Who makes it? What caliber? How much? How's it sound? What's it made of?

PLRinmypocket
June 6, 2011, 08:36 PM
looks like it's only available across the pond (made in Norway).

airgun or rimfire suppressor
http://www.armurerietoulouse.com/IMG/pdf_A-TEC-rimfire-data_sheet.pdf

trultemor
June 6, 2011, 09:07 PM
Mind telling us a little about it? Who makes it? What caliber? How much? How's it sound? What's it made of?
Its for .22lr made by a-tec in Norway. It costs about 100$ including 25% VAT.
Made of some alloy, very light.

The also make similar suppressors for larger caliber.

Click on LYDDEMPERE to see the models (http://a-tec.no/)

trultemor
June 6, 2011, 09:09 PM
looks like it's only available across the pond

They are sold without restrictions here so importing to US should be hassel free.

PLRinmypocket
June 6, 2011, 09:15 PM
SHOULD be hassel free....YES.

But I don't think it is.

Maverick223
June 6, 2011, 10:46 PM
SHOULD be hassel free....YES.

But I don't think it is.^ That! Moderators are (for no good reason) frowned upon here in the states. Woe be the poor fool that tries to bypass the BATFE and import one.

:)

Jim Watson
June 6, 2011, 11:27 PM
I bet the feds would consider each segment a separate suppressor, x$200 tax.

Sam Cade
June 6, 2011, 11:36 PM
They are sold without restrictions here so importing to US should be hassel free.

No hassle other than the 10 years in federal PMITA prison for having an NFA item without proper paperwork.

I don't think its possible to import a suppressor for personal use under any circumstances.
Anyone know for sure?

Maverick223
June 7, 2011, 12:41 AM
No hassle other than the 10 years in federal PMITA prisonHehehe, bet I know that acronym...one of my favorite comedic movies! :D

22lr
June 7, 2011, 08:33 AM
Ya each separate section would probably require a stamp. Although it would be worth asking the BATFE on an ruling before you immediately discount the idea.

I will say that I am unaware of any imported suppressors that are currently on the market in the US, im assuming there is a reason for that.

trultemor
June 7, 2011, 08:35 AM
I bet the feds would consider each segment a separate suppressor, x$200 tax.
The modules need the rear part to attach to the barrel.

trultemor
June 7, 2011, 08:37 AM
No hassle other than the 10 years in federal PMITA prison for having an NFA item without proper paperwork.

But what if you do the paperwork and just order the suppressor and recive it in the mail?

hapidogbreath
June 7, 2011, 09:23 AM
Good question???? ^

41magsnub
June 7, 2011, 10:13 AM
But what if you do the paperwork and just order the suppressor and recive it in the mail?

Then we are back to PMITA prison. Owning a suppressor (or any NFA type item) outside of the laws is a very serious crime here.

Assuming the ATF was on board with allowing importation of an NFA item, a dealer would have to do all the import stuff then transfer it to you the same as purchasing a domestically produced suppressor on a form 4.

Maverick223
June 7, 2011, 12:24 PM
Assuming the ATF was on board with allowing importation of an NFA item, a dealer would have to do all the import stuff then transfer it to you the same as purchasing a domestically produced suppressor on a form 4.^ That. There is no way (at least that I'm aware of) to legally bypass the dealer part. You are one (and still do the proper paperwork)...or you use one.

Zak Smith
June 7, 2011, 12:37 PM
Silencers cannot be imported for other than government use.

Sam Cade
June 7, 2011, 12:57 PM
Well there you go, the definitive answer from the guy who knows.

Maverick223
June 7, 2011, 01:34 PM
Zak, do you know anything about the legalities of a modular suppressor?... separate tax stamp, et cetera?

Zak Smith
June 7, 2011, 01:44 PM
Considering the ATF considers extra baffles to be "silencers" by themselves (ie, even with no way to connect the firearm), I wouldn't be very hopeful about it. In any case, if someone was interested in getting as definitive answer as possible, he should send a letter to the ATF to get a technical interpretation of the items in question.

Maverick223
June 7, 2011, 01:54 PM
I appreciate the added info, Zak. That's a good enough answer for me.

Ranb
June 7, 2011, 04:05 PM
Lots of silencer designs come apart for cleaning and maintenance. While each part is by itself a silencer, this does not mean that a person has more than one silencer simply because it comes apart or is modular.

Looking at the picture, it seems that the individual parts can only attach to themselves and the only part that is intended to attach to the gun is the rear part. I think the ATF would call this item one silencer and allow it to be registered on a single ATF form. They cannot be imported for private use though.

Ranb

Zak Smith
June 7, 2011, 04:07 PM
I said "extra baffles" on purpose.

M-Cameron
June 7, 2011, 04:19 PM
Lots of silencer designs come apart for cleaning and maintenance. While each part is by itself a silencer, this does not mean that a person has more than one silencer simply because it comes apart or is modular.

Looking at the picture, it seems that the individual parts can only attach to themselves and the only part that is intended to attach to the gun is the rear part. I think the ATF would call this item one silencer and allow it to be registered on a single ATF form. They cannot be imported for private use though.

Ranb

I said "extra baffles" on purpose.

hrmm....

isnt there an attachment to make a soda bottle/ oil filter a silencer ......but the ATF only classifies the attachment as the silencer.....and you can swap out the bottle/ filter as often as you please.....

this seems somewhat similar as all the baffles mount to the one attachment....

Robert
June 7, 2011, 04:35 PM
If Zak, who makes suppressors for a living, says that the Feds consider each extra baffle as a NFA item then I would tend to think that the Feds consider each extra baffle a NFA item. But to know for sure your best bet is to ask the ATF. Only they know what they are thinking. Sometimes...

Zak Smith
June 7, 2011, 05:07 PM
isnt there an attachment to make a soda bottle/ oil filter a silencer ......but the ATF only classifies the attachment as the silencer.....and you can swap out the bottle/ filter as often as you please.....

this seems somewhat similar as all the baffles mount to the one attachment....
The difference is that a soda bottle is a soda bottle. That sounds silly, but it gets to the core of the issue.

Any machine shop can make washers. Only an SOT can make baffles. Some silencers use off the shelf washers. That doesn't mean that nobody but an SOT can make washers-- unless they are washers specific to a silencer design, then they are silencer parts.

The bottom line is that if you are doing something that is not clearly laid out in documentation from ATF, you better get a technical letter clarifying the issue from them before doing anything.

Ranb
June 7, 2011, 07:25 PM
I understand what extra baffles meant. I do not think that the modular design would be "extra" baffles.

Ranb

Maverick223
June 7, 2011, 08:40 PM
Ranb, the discolored, gray surfaces visible on each piece are baffles. Being able to use just one part/baffle or them all at once (or anywhere in between), I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that there is a tax for each one.

Sam Cade
June 7, 2011, 08:52 PM
The difference is that a soda bottle is a soda bottle. That sounds silly, but it gets to the core of the issue.

Reckon the bottle just counts as a Wipe?

Bubbles
June 7, 2011, 10:51 PM
Gemtech came out with a very similar design years ago, but the pieces were much smaller. ATF said no way.

Thank you NFA 1934 and GCA 1968 for yet again keeping the US behind the rest of the world in small arms technology. :cuss:

Ranb
June 8, 2011, 12:34 AM
I will write the letter, anyone care to give me odds? :)

Ranb

Myles
June 8, 2011, 12:59 AM
Polymer outer case, convenient connections between units, polystyrene baffles. Elegant design - no need for wet or dry wipes, or even cleaning, just replace the used modules, as need be. Nice design. My only real question is how does the lifespan of the polystyrene baffles last when exposed to hot hydrocarbon gasses, and the rapid warming/cooling cycle of petroleum-based lubricants?

With no laboratory or anecdotal evidence, I would suspect an almost immediate degradation of the polystyrene components.

Zak Smith
June 8, 2011, 01:14 AM
Polymer outer case, convenient connections between units, polystyrene baffles. Elegant design - no need for wet or dry wipes, or even cleaning, just replace the used modules, as need be. Nice design. My only real question is how does the lifespan of the polystyrene baffles last when exposed to hot hydrocarbon gasses, and the rapid warming/cooling cycle of petroleum-based lubricants?

With no laboratory or anecdotal evidence, I would suspect an almost immediate degradation of the polystyrene components.

No idea where you got that- totally off base. The suppressor in the OP is made of metal. The insides appear white because of the fouling.

PLRinmypocket
June 9, 2011, 08:50 PM
Extra baffles are not the same as extra "wear items".

The ATF allows you to replace items that are designed to wear out. The classic example is the rubber Wipes that wear out after a few hundred rounds (often used in older style silencers). The oil filter, or soda bottle is considered a wear item by the ATF.

An extra machined metal baffle is not a wear item, it is instead a silencer part.

If you enjoyed reading about "New modular suppressor" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!