Best bang for the buck!!

PDA

Usmc-1
June 5, 2011, 09:41 AM
Ok here goes (I aint listing specs either) , this is my own personal decision , I have to go with the .45 ACP , now that doesnt mean I dont like other calibers , many have other strategic values (I wont go into that either!)

But with that being said on almost every front the .45 ACP comes out the winner ~~

*I left out wheelgun calibers on purpose, I left out 38 Super ,Love the round ,but impractical*

If you enjoyed reading about "Best bang for the buck!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
InkEd
June 5, 2011, 09:49 AM
mmmmm.... Okay?

(Are you just asking everyone's favorite overall caliber?)

earlthegoat2
June 5, 2011, 10:12 AM
Of those listed, the 9mm is the clear winner if you are wanting it for defense. Cheaper ammo and a negligible difference in stopping power.

There is a strong case for the 22 as well since it is the cheapest ammo and can be shot and shot and shot for much less than even the 9mm.

Will this be for defense, competition, plinking, fun? That would be a good thing to know when deciding on max utility for a given caliber.

Carl Levitian
June 5, 2011, 10:44 AM
I went with the humble .22lr.

I've shot them for almost 60 years now, and I can't think of one single other round of ammo that has the versatility of the .22. Training, small game hunting, survival, and if need be it can be pressed into service for defense.

Being retired, the better half and I go shooting twice a week in good weather. We burn up a brick of Federal bulk box a week, and on our social security I don't see that happening with any center fire. I met my better half 40 years ago on a pistol range, and she was using a Smith and Wesson model 17 then. She still has the 17, along with an 18, a 317, and two Marlin .22 rifles. Our kids learned to shoot on our .22's, as well as our grandchildren. We've been avid shooters all our lives, and raising three kids on a machinist salary and a reseptionist salary, we would never have been able to do as much shooting as we have done, and continue to do with a center fire. If something goes bump in the night, we'll just grab what we were using just the other day.

For us, the .22 is the best choice!

Carl.

catnphx
June 5, 2011, 11:01 AM
Bang for the Buck

Lowest cost good Bang = 9mm

Lowest cost Buck = 22lr

For me, the 9mm is clear winner of lowest cost with respectable bang. If I can't/won't carry it for SD then it doesn't meet the Bang requirement. That's my opinion. :D

bikerdoc
June 5, 2011, 11:12 AM
For my lifestyle, age, abilities, limitations, and just plain personal preferences, I go with 9mm. Gota bunch of autos and 2 carbines for that round.

Also, though not mentioned, I got some 357 revolvers matched up with a lever action rifle.

And of course every one should have a 22 pistol and revolver coupled with some sort of rifle for inexpensive quality practice time.

bruzer
June 5, 2011, 11:23 AM
Had to go with the .40 to even out the vote for the .380 since both rounds cost the same. I agree that everyone needs a .22.
Mike

Apocalypse-Now
June 5, 2011, 12:29 PM
you need us to tell you that .22 LR is the cheapest one to shoot? lol

Usmc-1
June 5, 2011, 12:36 PM
no I know whats the cheapest ammo , whats the cheapest ammo I will carry , bang for the buck is obvious for those who carry a 45 , I dont care how much extra the rounds are , my life in the hands of a 45 is safe!

joeq
June 5, 2011, 12:41 PM
no I know whats the cheapest ammo , whats the cheapest ammo I will carry , bang for the buck is obvious for those who carry a 45 , I dont care how much extra the rounds are , my life in the hands of a 45 is safe!

Defensively, 45ACP, 9mm, and 40 S&W will all do the job. It comes down to your ability to put the rounds on target.

forindooruseonly
June 5, 2011, 01:19 PM
I dont care how much extra the rounds are

Hmm. I guess we misunderstood what you meant by "bang for the buck" - a phrase generally meant to mean value for money.

Milkmaster
June 5, 2011, 01:29 PM
The question is too limited to understand your entire meaning.

I voted for the lowly .22LR. Many of us shoot the larger calibers well due to the time and training ability owed to the .22. The number of human deaths and game attributed to it would also indicate more than a few goals can be achieved with this caliber.

SGW42
June 5, 2011, 01:41 PM
I think .22 is clearly the value leader here, You can put many thousands of rounds through a Mark II, which means more practice time, which in turn leads to proficency.

But, I voted 9mm because a centerfire is more appropriate in terms of self defense, and 9mm seems to be the cheapest centerfire by far.

I have a lot of friends who are of limited means, and/or may like guns, but are not really into guns per say. So you know they will likely buy something to play with and not much else. I always encourage them to go 9mm, since it's cheap to practice with, and then when they get home they can use it as a nightstand gun.

Tomcat47
June 5, 2011, 01:43 PM
As Implied "best bang for buck"....:rolleyes:

I choose 9mm meaning it would fit many rolls, from plinking, hunting,self defense/home defense,reloading,competition shooting,law enforcement,military use,availability world wide, and last but not least on a cost level.....

with "Bang for Buck" being the question asked....It would most definately be the cost wise choice..that delivers the biggest return. :)

And that is probably more than opinion in a cost analysis sort of way....:cool:

Aiko492
June 5, 2011, 02:38 PM
For me, 9mm. It is a legit SD round, can be practiced with affordably and you can buy 50 boxes of Federal HST + P for $28. What's not to like in terms of bang for the buck?

Bush Pilot
June 5, 2011, 03:07 PM
For me, 9mm. It is a legit SD round, can be practiced with affordably and you can buy 50 boxes of Federal HST + P for $28. What's not to like in terms of bang for the buck?
50 boxes of Federal HST +P for $28.00? That's way cheaper than I can load LOL.

earlthegoat2
June 5, 2011, 03:52 PM
my life in the hands of a 45 is safe!

I just sold all my guns and bought a 45. Thanks for the heads up on the just discovered production of a magic death ray.

catnphx
June 5, 2011, 06:11 PM
I think Aiko got a little carried away with the keyboard because I just bought some HST 124gr +P but I only got 1 box of 50 for $28. LMAO!!

bruzer
June 5, 2011, 09:34 PM
Must have been 1 round per box and he got 50 boxes of them.
Mike

Nushif
June 5, 2011, 10:27 PM
I actually don't get the question.

OP... are you asking what our favorite round is? the best "overall round" or like ... the cheapest? I guess "I like .45" isn't a lot of clarification for me. 8(

Usmc-1
June 6, 2011, 08:59 AM
Yes best bang for the buck , its easy , I just threw in what I "prefer" (.45 ACP)!

I suppose if you are gonna say the MOST prevalent the .22 or 9 mm luger will win hands down and as far as the bang for buck goes the 9 will easily win that game!

Aiko492
June 6, 2011, 09:22 AM
50 boxes of Federal HST +P for $28.00? That's way cheaper than I can load LOL.

Ha, I did mean 50 boxes but as in 50 per box :-) 50 boxes for $28 would be wishful thinking.

Water-Man
June 7, 2011, 08:46 AM
My nightstand gun is a .45acp.
My carry gun is a 9mm.
This is the best way I can answer your question.

Usmc-1
June 7, 2011, 04:46 PM
Why not carry a Commanders model .45 ACP and leave it on your nightstand when you go to sleep?

JustinJ
June 7, 2011, 05:07 PM
I'd say the FN 5.7 bc if the bad guys stand in a straight line i can take out 3 with one bullet.

Effigy
June 7, 2011, 05:55 PM
No one voted .45 GAP? ;)

Water-Man
June 8, 2011, 09:14 AM
Usmc-1... I only have faith in 5" 1911s.

Usmc-1
June 8, 2011, 09:22 AM
Well I have faith 5" 1911's as well! I pretty much have faith in all 1911 .45 ACP's

No love for the GAP round , I think its difficult to find the round , unlike the .357 SIG round ,although harder to find , the barrels on many weapons can be swapped for other rounds! Thats the big plus , I dont think thats the case for the GAP round!

md7
June 8, 2011, 11:32 AM
I like 9 just fine! Even made it Rhyme. I'm a poet and didn't know it.

All goofiness aside. Overall bang for the buck, in my humble opinion, would go to the 9mm due to cost per round and effectiveness. With proper shot placement, it will serve well in SD roles. With lowered cost, it will allow the user to practice more, aiding in shot placement. Kind of circular.

Besides, the difference in most commonly used service calibers for pistols is marginal. Or so I hear.

YMMV

md7
June 8, 2011, 11:33 AM
And for the record,

I aint volunteering to stand on the receiving end of any of them.

roadliner
June 8, 2011, 11:27 PM
I have more .45 pistols and carbines than any other centerfire, my carry guns are almost exclusively .45, but I must vote for the .22. I have at least a dozen firearms for this round and for the price(remember bang for the buck) it can't be beat. I can't remember the last time I shot a .22 but it still has to rank up there for value.

Usmc-1
June 9, 2011, 09:05 AM
@roadliner , I agree that .22 has alot bang for the buck , but I think the 9 beats it , sure you can thousands of rounds for the 22 , but you can buy alot of 9 ammo for damn near as cheap and the bang is much bigger , obviously , the 2 real rounds in competition from this survey is the 9 mm and .22 , all the rest are personal!

iblong
June 9, 2011, 11:22 AM
My prefered cal.is 45 but I voted 9mm,Because it fills many rolls and can be
bought and fed cheaply for those that dont reload.It has mild recoil acceptable power,good accuracy,and easy for most to learn to control.

ErikO
June 9, 2011, 11:29 AM
If you like to cast and reload, have a good source for inexpensive brass and lots of time reloading 9mm gets cheaper than 22lr.

2ndamd
June 9, 2011, 11:33 AM
I went with the humble .22lr.

I've shot them for almost 60 years now, and I can't think of one single other round of ammo that has the versatility of the .22. Training, small game hunting, survival, and if need be it can be pressed into service for defense.

Being retired, the better half and I go shooting twice a week in good weather. We burn up a brick of Federal bulk box a week, and on our social security I don't see that happening with any center fire. I met my better half 40 years ago on a pistol range, and she was using a Smith and Wesson model 17 then. She still has the 17, along with an 18, a 317, and two Marlin .22 rifles. Our kids learned to shoot on our .22's, as well as our grandchildren. We've been avid shooters all our lives, and raising three kids on a machinist salary and a reseptionist salary, we would never have been able to do as much shooting as we have done, and continue to do with a center fire. If something goes bump in the night, we'll just grab what we were using just the other day.

For us, the .22 is the best choice!

Carl.

Excellent point. I was leaning for the 9mm but, the 22lr is the most versatile for living off the land/fun. The 9mm is the best bang for the buck if you compare just centerfire rounds and do not include rimfire. Heck, them cajuns use 22's to take 800 lb aligators, they just have to place those rounds where you need 'em.

ForumSurfer
June 9, 2011, 11:34 AM
Since there is no "best" anything, merely what is best for what purpose...and the OP didn't specify a purpose...I voted 22. Why? It is the cheapest and I use it more often, like pest control.

jon_in_wv
June 11, 2011, 09:35 AM
I'd say the FN 5.7 bc if the bad guys stand in a straight line i can take out 3 with one bullet.

?? Maybe I'm missing something. The tests I've seen of the 5.7 rounds show the round to be very shallow penetrating due to the light bullet.

Best "bang for the buck" I voted for the 9mm. It cheap to buy, cheap to reload, good for plinking, good for defense, in fact its pretty good in just about every category I can think of. Other caliber may be better in some categories but few do as well in all of them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best bang for the buck!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!