FN-FAL Muzzle Device

PDA

The-Reaver
June 5, 2011, 06:11 PM
Alright my question is, is it possible to put a 199a break ( also know as an AK 74 style break ) on my FN-FAL?
I have seen it done on some PSL's chambered in 7.62x54.

I have looked all over the net but cannot seem to find any anywhere.
If someone has some linkage for me that would be awesome, or if it hasn't been done maybe there is a way for me to get rich :cool:

* UPDATE * ( Just droped off old girl to have some threads put on for the muzzle brake, I'm sure she will look ugly as all sin but it's effectiveness will be noted along with pictures for those that care. ) RvR out

If you enjoyed reading about "FN-FAL Muzzle Device" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Z-Michigan
June 5, 2011, 07:03 PM
Most FALs are threaded 9/16"x24, which is unique to the FAL. To make things worse, inch and metric barrels are threaded with opposite handedness to each other.

I haven't seen an AK-74 type brake for the FAL. Only a few flash hider designs and the PWS FSC-FAL.

Shadow 7D
June 5, 2011, 07:44 PM
they make adapters for ~20-30 dollars.

The-Reaver
June 5, 2011, 08:20 PM
Mine is a 16' non threaded so I can have it threaded any way I need.
I just really like the AK 74 style break it works awesome and I think would be a good add on to my FN

Z-Michigan
June 5, 2011, 09:12 PM
Mine is a 16' non threaded so I can have it threaded any way I need.
I just really like the AK 74 style break it works awesome and I think would be a good add on to my FN

As long as your barrel diameter is big enough, buy any AK-74 brake made for .30 cal (most of them are, other than the 5.45mm ones intended for actual AK-74s) and have the gunsmith thread your barrel to match. Problem solved! I have an AK-74 brake on an AKM and find it works moderately well. Price of $15 or so was definitely right!

The-Reaver
June 6, 2011, 10:59 AM
I concure. That is probably gong to have to happen. Thanks everyone +1

The-Reaver
July 24, 2011, 03:35 AM
Alright as promised, I got it done. Here is the product. She is ugly but she is awesome. Works great. Love it. If you have an FAL I recommend it.
RvR

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt331/juba811/184087_10150240354716036_702866035_7757491_3748483_n.jpg

The-Reaver
July 25, 2011, 11:51 AM
Nothing? Ok well at least I have files saying this awesome idea originated here.

Z-Michigan
July 25, 2011, 11:53 AM
How does it work for shooting?

Did you have the barrel threaded for the brake, or did you use an adapter between them?

The-Reaver
July 25, 2011, 12:45 PM
I had the barrel threaded with a left hand twist, so now any .30 caliber brake with a left hand twist can be put on. ( Mostly Russian )

She works just fine, great if anything. She definitely is loud that's for sure. And the people to the left and the right wont be standing there for very long.

All in all... I think I did the right thing by putting it on there. & I also think it was a good idea on my part if I may say so my self. :rolleyes:

HorseSoldier
July 25, 2011, 12:52 PM
Looks better in the photos than I expected reading the OP. Does the brake help with speed, besides making it loud?

MistWolf
July 25, 2011, 01:46 PM
Nothing? Ok well at least I have files saying this awesome idea originated here.
Now that your muzzle is threaded for an AK device, you can get the AKBC from BCE
http://battlecomp.com/

I have the BABC on my Para and I really like it. That's saying something as I'd rather deal with recoil than the obnoxious concussion from brakes

The-Reaver
July 25, 2011, 02:50 PM
HorseSoldier, I did a quick run on double taps and was amazed, I mean compared to the M1A (Socom 16 ) the FAL was more easy to control even before the brake. But now, I would compare it to maybe just below an AK, for sure not an AR but somewhere near an AK and for 308 that's awesome.

Mistwolf, I only briefly looked at it but I don't think it comes with lefty threads. & as for concussion, I didn't feel a thing. The poor fella to the right of me said something along the lines of **** that **** is **** crazy.
lol I laughed. Then I apologized and offer him a shot or two but he declined.

MistWolf
July 25, 2011, 03:06 PM
The AKBC is specifically threaded for AK threads and should fit your barrel.

I used a thread adapter to fit the BABC (which has 5/8-24 R/H threads) to the L/H threads of the Para. Someday, I'm going to talk Marty and the guys at BCE into making a BABC threaded for my Para and get rid of the adapter
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Liberty/DSC_0129.jpg

The-Reaver
July 25, 2011, 06:47 PM
Awesome, thanks man. Maybe I'll get one eventually. Yours does look pretty.

MistWolf
July 25, 2011, 09:40 PM
Thanks! Assembled it myself, with some help from a member on the FAL Files

If you enjoyed reading about "FN-FAL Muzzle Device" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!