powder & primer storage

PDA

KidDynamo
June 5, 2011, 09:45 PM
OK, I need to tap into the best-known-methods (BKMs) for storing primers, powders, bullets, and brass. I have 2 kids ages 6 & 7.

Here are my goals:
#1 protect my kids & the neighbors' kids
#2 I reload in my garage, so I'd like to be discrete and avoid dealing with nosy kids
#3 convenience
#4 be safe

I've ruled out using my firearms safe. :cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "powder & primer storage" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gadzooks Mike
June 5, 2011, 10:28 PM
Build a sturdy, wooden cabinet.(4) Put your stuff in.(3) Lock it with a padlock.(1) When you reload, make sure you have all the doors locked.(2)

45ACPUSER
June 5, 2011, 10:29 PM
Well, check your state fire code, as most local cities adopt that. Some states actually limit the # of primers and # of pounds of powder that can be stored in a residence.

Like Minnesota for one #20 and 10K in primers.

Cool and Dry are Key Words to live by. Stored Separately. Look in the back or most reloading manuls for help.

Locked up and and under your control with kids or prying eyes comes to mind.

Safetychain
June 5, 2011, 10:33 PM
I started reloading in the attic; too hot in the summer. Then moved everything to the garage. Everything steel rusted in 2 months (I live on the coast). Then moved everything to the children's playroom. It was "all" the Kids playroom according to the wife. Now with the kids gone it is a reloading, computer, sewing, storage and extra bed room.
But no matter where I reloaded, all dies, equipment except for the presses, powder and primers went into a Sears style lockable upright toolbox with wheels. They come in all kinds of configurations and drawer sizes. They are expandable/stackable also. Bullets and brass as well as loaded stuff goes into used military ammo cases. They're lockable also and stack well on a shelf or in a corner.

Twiki357
June 6, 2011, 02:54 AM
I store my powder and primers in a rolling tool chest. Locks secure and in case of a fire, one shove and it's out in the driveway.

DANNY-L
June 6, 2011, 06:34 AM
Teach the kid,s on what could happen to them or others if your stuff was mis-used. I grew up #8 of 9 kids,guns and ammo were all around but no one touched anything until dad taught us and gave us the go ahead that we had learned enough to be safe and responsible, usually by handing us a hunting licence.

capreppy
June 6, 2011, 01:34 PM
An interesting tidbit I found out a few days ago. Loose primers (still in the box) are considered HazMat, thus the reason you pay a HazMat fee to have them shipped. Primers that have been inserted into brass are not considered HazMat.

If you are above your limit for primers, prime some brass to get below your limit. Limits do vary so definitely check with the fire marshall.

MtnCreek
June 6, 2011, 01:50 PM
SAAMI has a good publication on storage. Read that then make some adjustments for security.

kingmt
June 6, 2011, 02:25 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/13-drawer-red-industrial-quality-roller-cabinet-90320.html?utm_source=hftusa&utm_medium=hftusa&utm_campaign=buylink

My vote is a tool chest & it blends into the garage decor.

gamestalker
June 6, 2011, 09:42 PM
Since you don't seem to have a room that can be locked, I would build a wooden cabinet and put a hasp on it so you can lock it. If you have to deal with hot or cold elements or humidity, make sure you store those items in the house. My primers are kept in an air tight military ammo box with an oxygen inhibitor in side. The powder I keep on a shelf in the room where it stays at a constant temparature that only varies a couple of degrees.
With regard to the kids, education is the best answer along with common sense safe guards. All 6 of my children, 5 boys and 1 girl, were raised with trianing and a clear understanding of both firearms and reloading. I never experienced a single problem with them getting into either. Now that they are grown adults they are passing on the tradition and good sense education to my Grand Children.

KidDynamo
June 8, 2011, 03:41 AM
Thanks to all ... looks like I'll need to 'secure' the materials very carefully and double check local laws haven't changed.

KingMt--thanks for sharing your suggestion to use the harbor freight tool chest. Are the drawer sizes adequate for accomodating the powder containers you get at the store?? They looked awfully thin (not tall).

Gadzooks Mike
June 8, 2011, 09:56 AM
Maybe this will help:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting_started/safety/storage_handling.aspx

10-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg) may be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), may be stored in residences if kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls or at least 1-inc. (25.4-mm) nominal thickness.

amlevin
June 8, 2011, 11:41 AM
Quickest way to insure that kids will get into mischief is to "Lock them Out".

This is the best time to introduce them to things like reloading and for that matter, guns. When they are curious, and wanting to learn, take the time to teach them right. In many cases, when their initial curiosity is satisfied, they'll just go on to other things that catch their interest. To keep something "secret" and locked behind doors, will just pique their interest. That one time you forget to lock the door will be the time they explore and without any basic safety cautions the results can be disastrous.

An informed kid is a lot safer than one kept in the dark.

BTW, where I live I can store 25,000 primers and up to 50# of powder. Am thinking of getting an old refrigerator for the purpose. A double door model with primer storage in one section and powder in the other to protect both from summer temperatures. Set temps for 50-60 degrees and a couple of large bags of desiccant.

oneounceload
June 8, 2011, 11:54 AM
Store the powder and primers under heat and air in a constant temperature and humidity state - like the top shelf of a closet.

Depending on the maturity of your kids and what you are loading, teaching them to reload will take any mystery out of it - mine were taught at 6 as soon as they started shooting.

I reload in the garage, but here in Florida, it is 10 degrees hotter in the garage, so I have the door open. Folks drive by all the time and most have no idea what I am doing. Lots of folks around here tinker with something in their garages

kingmt
June 8, 2011, 07:08 PM
I don't know if that one will or not. They have several different sizes to chose from.

kingmt
June 8, 2011, 07:13 PM
I just went & read the specs & you should be able to store the 1#ers in there.

If you enjoyed reading about "powder & primer storage" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!