Carrying in scrubs

PDA

Blarelli
June 5, 2011, 11:23 PM
I'm starting at a school in a couple of months that requires that I wear scrubs every day. Because they don't allow weapons on campus I'll have to leave my piece in the car each day so I need a gun and holster that are small enough to not drag my scrubs down, is quick to remove the whole rig, and is at least a 9mm. Any ideas?

If you enjoyed reading about "Carrying in scrubs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
918v
June 5, 2011, 11:25 PM
Mexican style on a lanyard.

Blarelli
June 5, 2011, 11:27 PM

Interesting, I'd never even thought about trying that. That wouldn't be too bad with my p3at, but I'm looking for something a big bigger.

FIVETWOSEVEN
June 5, 2011, 11:27 PM
There are undershirts that have a holster built in.

larryh1108
June 5, 2011, 11:28 PM
Sounds like a belly band holster is what you need with one of the small, compact 9s like the PM9 or the new Ruger LC9.

Chicken-Farmer
June 6, 2011, 01:03 AM
Look into the 5.11 holster shirts. The shirt is made of a material similar to under armor and the holsters run under the armpits. I have three of the shirts and I can completely conceal a full size Beretta 92 under any shirt. The shirts are very form fitting and really hold whatever is in the holsters tight against your body. I wear the shirts all day without any discomfort.

Chicken-Farmer

David E
June 6, 2011, 02:06 AM
Doctor friend had the same dilemma. He used the pouch holster that carries below the waistline in front of your jewels. Worked for him.

Sport45
June 6, 2011, 02:17 AM
Can you change into your scrubs after you get there?

HK Jake
June 6, 2011, 02:18 AM
This is exactly what you're looking for: http://www.smartcarry.com/

9mmepiphany
June 6, 2011, 02:53 AM
I've had good luck with a Kahr P9 or CW9 in a belly band. Easy on and off, as well as almost unlimited carry positions

CDW4ME
June 6, 2011, 08:00 AM
Another vote for Smartcarry.

WC145
June 6, 2011, 08:57 AM
I work in scrubs 4 days a week and carry a scandium j-frame in an ankle holster. Works great, stays well concealed, easier to access than most people think.

I also have a P3at, used to carry IWB using the pocket clip, it's light enough that it doesn't drag scrub pants down.

K9american
June 6, 2011, 09:10 AM
1911 Commander in a Tommy's Gun Pack. Easy on. Easy off.

scaatylobo
June 6, 2011, 09:25 AM
Ankle rig gets my vote as I have carried MANY different guns in that manner.

They were primarily carried as a BUG.

But they worked and I was armed and concealed at all times.

S&W 640-1, Glock 23, S&W 442, Kahr PM40, Rohrbaugh R-9, just to give you a smattering of the few I have carried

doc540
June 6, 2011, 02:55 PM
Smartcarry

If you don't like it, Charlie will refund your money.

Apocalypse-Now
June 6, 2011, 05:30 PM
european carry-all (man purse) :D

MikePaiN
June 6, 2011, 05:46 PM
I'm in scrubs at work and on the go or on my feet most of the time. I hate to say it but I've given up carrying at work....the ankle holster rides to low or works its way down and I hate those hot too wear, get gross after awhile holsters like the smart carry or belly band.
I carry in, in my back-pack, locker it during my shift, then carry out in the back-pack.

docnyt
June 6, 2011, 06:08 PM
Top untucked, G27 in a kydex IWB on a cheap UTG 2" belt works for me. YMMV.

Will_Power
June 6, 2011, 09:58 PM
Scrubs seem to me to be one of the few situations where you can get away with fanny pack carry and not come off looking as a dweeb or Japanese tourist.

Aiko492
June 6, 2011, 11:20 PM
I am also in scrubs 5-6 days a week, usually 12 hours per day. I have not carried in scrubs but probably will try one of the undershirt holsters in the future.

CPO15
June 7, 2011, 09:52 AM
Remora; if your scrubs have a drawstring (works well for me with drawstring gym shorts):

http://remoraholsters.com/

JTQ
June 7, 2011, 10:13 AM
You may want to check Xavier's Blog. He is an RN and a 1911 fan.

http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/

kingcheese
June 7, 2011, 10:20 AM
suggestion
being the scifi nerd i am, from the series called FIREFLY a guy named Jane used medical tape(the stuff used to hold guass in place) to hold a gun to his side

not something to do every day, but it would work until you had a more perminate solution
as far as the gun goes, my personal favorite gun of all time is a ppk, it will pretty much fit what ever role you need a small gun to fit

Guillermo
June 7, 2011, 10:25 AM
Kangaroo

I have a 5:11 shirt and it is not as comfortable as the Kangaroo rig...which is adjustable

JustinJ
June 7, 2011, 07:27 PM
http://www.kangaroocarry.com/

I will be very jealous if you get to have the following conversation:

Who Ever: Nice nurse out fit, guy.

Blarelli: These are O.R. scrubs.

Who Ever: Oh, are they?

WC145
June 7, 2011, 08:40 PM
Scrubs seem to me to be one of the few situations where you can get away with fanny pack carry and not come off looking as a dweeb or Japanese tourist.
Actually, that isn't true because, thank goodness, most hospital personnel have learned that fanny packs instantly tag you as a doofus. Occasionally, you'll see a nurse with a fanny pack (invariably a male nurse) but they're the exception to the rule and we always make fun of them because fanny packs are dorky even in a hospital.

45crittergitter
June 25, 2011, 05:17 PM
You can get a Kydex neck holster that hangs on a small chain.

Apocalypse-Now
June 26, 2011, 04:04 AM
european carry-all (man purse :eek:)

dprice3844444
June 26, 2011, 08:57 PM
http://http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/home.aspx check here for your needs

Ruger745
June 27, 2011, 04:06 PM
how about a crossbreed super tuck? they look easy to remove because it looks like it just slides onto your belt or waist of your pants.

Deaf Smith
June 27, 2011, 09:11 PM
I'm starting at a school in a couple of months that requires that I wear scrubs every day. Because they don't allow weapons on campus I'll have to leave my piece in the car each day so I need a gun and holster that are small enough to not drag my scrubs down, is quick to remove the whole rig, and is at least a 9mm. Any ideas?
Thunderwear or Hot Jocks will solve your problem.

Just google them.

No belt needed.

Deaf

NMGonzo
June 27, 2011, 10:04 PM

Settle down, Tuco.

WC145
June 27, 2011, 10:28 PM
Thunderwear or Hot Jocks will solve your problem.

Just google them.

No belt needed.

Deaf
If you've ever worn scrubs you'd know you can't hide a thing in them. Thunderwear, SmartCarry, etc, might work with jeans or Dockers but they're going to stick out like dog balls if you try to wear them with scrubs.

The only carry methods I've found that work with scrub pants are ankle holsters and I was able to carry a Kel-tec P3at IWB using the pocket clip. It was light enough that it didn't drag my pants down.

Deaf Smith
June 28, 2011, 12:53 AM
Just wear baggy scrubs WC.

I know alot of chicks wear tight scrubs, which is just fine with me, but just get baggy ones.

Deaf

45crittergitter
July 2, 2011, 04:35 PM
There's always the Belly Band and the ankle holster.

Aiko492
July 2, 2011, 05:34 PM
I wear scrubs 5-6 days a week, I ordered a Kangaroo Carry a few weeks back and so far it has worked out pretty well. I carried both my Sig P238 and Glock 26. My Glock 19 is a bit big and heavy for this setup. I also went up from L to XL in scrub tops, the gun sits right under my left arm. Quick draw? Negative. But comfortable and secure.

If you enjoyed reading about "Carrying in scrubs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!