Which rifle?

PDA

Dimis
June 6, 2011, 06:42 PM
Im thinking of getting a new rifle in .308

not trying to spend a lot at first and want something thats upgradeable down the line

Ive narrowed it down to either a Remington 700 SPS Tactical or Savage 10 FP

I plan to target shoot out to 600 yards at maximum and compete in F class matches here and there

I will probably upgrade the rifle from stock within a year or so as money and time provides but right now I want a good out of the box gun for as little as possible
I understand neither rifle will be top of the competitive edge but it will still be fun to able to get out there and shoot now instead of next year or later

which rifle would you choose and why?

If you enjoyed reading about "Which rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Durty
June 6, 2011, 11:55 PM
I vote SPS but you will need a new trigger. X Mark Pro is terrible. If you don't want to screw with it, just get the savage. I personally like screwing with all my stuff and customizing everything. Therefore, I prefer Remington.

longdayjake
June 7, 2011, 09:46 AM
Remington continually leaves a sour flavor in my mouth. I am going to let them redeem themselves with others before I decide to make a purchase from them. It seems that since things have changed hands, quality has gone way down. For that reason I say get anything but remington.

MtnCreek
June 7, 2011, 10:21 AM
I have a 700P that's a great rifle. It was a +/- 0.75 moa out of the box, 300wm. I've heard the stock on the SPS is junk, but that's just hear-say.
I have a couple of 110 (long action) FP's that are/were great shooters, but the factory stocks were junk.

If you can find a 700P (HS-P) stock, it would be worth the extra $$$, IMVHO. FYI: I've heard a lot of people complain about the HS-P stocks, but I think they're great.

Dimis
June 8, 2011, 01:02 PM
just checked the poll results and noticed a good chunk of people voting for the savage

Zerodefect
June 8, 2011, 01:08 PM
Savage also offers the 10FP with a HS Precision stock or a McMillian Stock now.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!