Would like some advice for the 308 in bolt action

PDA

tundrawolf
June 6, 2011, 10:17 PM
Hello,

When I was a kid my father took me to a remote place to shoot his Mauser M96 in 6.5x55 Swedish. He had a rangefinder (The kind where you line up two images, and when it becomes clear, you reference the dial to see what range the object was at) that maxed out at 1 mile. We sighted in a rock the size of a Chevrolet truck hood at exactly a mile.

We hit that rock 9 times out of 10 with open sights with that 100 year old $50 rifle.

Since then, anything under 300 yards is not challenging to me.

I have a semiautomatic rifle chambered for the .308 and would like to add a long range bolt action rifle manufactured by an American company also in .308.

I am really liking what is being said about Savage.

My budget is around $800, give, or take. I simply want the most accurate long range American rifle in .308 for around that price. Any advice is appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Would like some advice for the 308 in bolt action" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gearjammer-2000
June 6, 2011, 11:42 PM
i have a model 14 savage n .308, and i just got a model 10 in .223 and I would not part with either one of them for anything.
they are both real sweet shooters

Durty
June 6, 2011, 11:50 PM
I think Savage makes a custom long range rifle for about that price and I would bet you a beer they shoot. Personally, I prefer an older Rem 700. I switch barrels, bed the stock, adjust or replace the trigger and shoot the hell out of it. Another idea- look for a Remington Sendero or Winchester Laredo. Both nice long range setups with good stocks and heavier barrels.

tundrawolf
June 7, 2011, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys. In researching the Savage 17, I came across this: www.eabco.com/savagebarrels.htm does anyone have experience with them?

If you enjoyed reading about "Would like some advice for the 308 in bolt action" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!