Tuner Question: More 1911 mis-feeds

PDA

jr_roosa
June 7, 2011, 12:09 PM
Here's a followup from an old one.

SA Milspec, Colt and SA mags, NEW 11lb Wolff Mag springs.

So, previously I had trouble with the last round popping out of the mags, double feeds in the second-to-last round, and new mag springs were ordered.

All the mags have new springs now, and the problem has changed a little.

I still get double feeds, and still get the last round hopping out, but it's only with ball ammo (MB Softball) and HXP hollowpoints loaded full power. I also get a few where the extractor ends up behind the rim.

It feeds semi-wadcutters without a problem, and these are loaded fairly lightly. Feeds oregon trail 200gr SWC, MB 200gr SWC, and even MB 185gr Buttons without a problem.

What's the next thing to try? New recoil spring? Stock weight or heavier? Get a New Agent for the hollowpoints and make this one a wad gun?

-J.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tuner Question: More 1911 mis-feeds" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1911Tuner
June 7, 2011, 01:54 PM
How heavy is your recoil spring?

I've seen a mis-cut feed ramp pull those little tricks. If the distance is too long from the rear of the magwell to the ramp, it can let rounds escape. Since the magazines didn't seem to do much good, it may be time to let a pro have a look.

jr_roosa
June 7, 2011, 06:11 PM
Stock spring. Maybe 2000 rounds through it.

Yeah I'm about to give up on it.

Thanks!

J

jr_roosa
November 25, 2011, 05:30 PM
I finally flew back to Denver with my 1911 to get it to my formerly local bullseye smith.

He's going to turn it into a Hardball gun for me.

Anyway, the spring was way too soft, the slide is out of spec with an out-of-square breechface and weird lug lockup, and a barrel with a short chamber but with the hood improperly fit. Trigger is "awful."

So, we'll get a trigger job, accuracy job, checkered front strap, bomar sights, a new NM barrel (he likes the Colt barrels), and a one-month turnaround.

Hard to beat that.

-J.

Sal1911A1
November 25, 2011, 08:19 PM
Tuner Hi Hope all is well

Will a new 23 pound main spring and new 16 pound recoil spring help correct
this problem as well.

1911Tuner
November 26, 2011, 04:41 AM
It might, Sal...along with using a small radius on the firing pin stop to bleed a little more velocity from the slide.

cacoltguy
November 27, 2011, 11:51 PM
Have you tried testing/adjusting the extractor tension?

1911Tuner
November 28, 2011, 06:24 AM
Nah. It's not the extractor. The cartridges are makin' an escape before the extractor comes into play.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tuner Question: More 1911 mis-feeds" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!