.308 comparison questions.

PDA

DUNEZRUNNER
June 8, 2011, 12:37 AM
I have been researching and looking at rifles for the past couple of months and am more flustered now than before. I want to get me a .308 "sniper" rifle. I want a gun that is relatively inexpensive to shoot, can be shot out to 1000 yds accurately and can be shot repeatedly in one sitting. I already have my hunting rifle, a .264 win mag, that I don't want to burn the barrel out of so I decided on a .308. When I first started looking, I was going to get the Rem 700 SPS Varmit. I like following that the gun has and like the 26 inch barrel. Then I read that the Savage/Stevens is another good choice. I can get the Rem for about $450.00 here after the rebate. What Savage is comparable to the Rem for about the same price and performance. OR would it be a better Idea to get the Stevens 200 and add a barrel to it. I am expecting to put a stock on both and possibly triggers. So which way sounds like a more cost effective route.

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thomas

If you enjoyed reading about ".308 comparison questions." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MtnCreek
June 8, 2011, 08:54 AM
.308 is pretty large for snipe and I don't think I could even see one at 1000 yds.
Any of the above would be a good long range rifle to start with. The savage/stevens may be a little easier to re-barrel if you needed to. I've heard the SPS stock is not too good. The older savage stocks were junk, but I think they may have corrected this on some models (accu-stock). Pick a rifle w/ a heavy barrel and good stock, then mount a quality rail, quality rings and a mid-range (price wise) scope. That's the easy part. Now learn to shoot long range (not so easy).

If you enjoyed reading about ".308 comparison questions." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!