Price check for Colt 1991, series 80

PDA

boatingboy
June 8, 2011, 09:24 AM
Hi guys, I'm interested in an AR so I want to sell my 1991.
Its a series 80, 1991, full size. It was dura coated in matte black, it has colt grips and night sights.

How much do you guys think I can sell her for?
Here are a couple of pics:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c140/elburru/P6070079.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c140/elburru/P6070075.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c140/elburru/P6070078.jpg

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Price check for Colt 1991, series 80" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
group17
June 8, 2011, 10:50 AM
1991 or 1911?

boatingboy
June 8, 2011, 10:59 AM

JTQ
June 8, 2011, 11:38 AM
New are $850ish.

You do have night sights, extended slide stop, skeletonized trigger, and hammer, and a beaver tail.

It looks like it is in pretty good shape, I would think somebody looking for those options would probably be willing to pay, maybe $1,000ish.

nwilliams
June 8, 2011, 07:28 PM
The problem is that it's been Duracoated, if it had the original finish it would be worth more.

People are generally OK with 1911's that have had some customization such as a replaced hammer and trigger however when you cover up the original finish by painting over it, that can seriously impact the value of the gun.

If the custom work on that 1911 had been done by the Colt Custom Shop or by someone like Jim Hoag, Jim Garthwaite, Ned Christiansen or Ted Yost then then you can certainly add value to the gun. However without a well known name to attach to the custom work you simply have a 1911 that has had some parts replaced and refinished with Duracoat and that really doesn't make the gun much more desirable than a factory new Colt 1991.

The night sights will help if they still have some life left to them. The addition of a skeletonized trigger and hammer and the addition of a beavertail safety and extended slide stop might help it attract some attention, however those aren't really what most people call "major customization" because they are parts fairly easy to replace and pretty commonly replaced by people with basic 1911 gunsmithing knowledge.

The real problem you face is that no matter how you wrap it, it's still a used Colt 1991 that no longer has the original finish. In the end it ain't no Series 70 Gold Cup, XSE or Combat Elite so there won't be as much interest in it. Also it's hard to tell from the pics but it appears to be an older model 1991-A1, it doesn't look like it has the updated rollmarks on the slide like the newer ones. The older 1991's are still nice guns but sadly aren't as desirable.

If nothing had been done to that gun (no parts replaced) then you could expect something in the $600-$700 range for a used older model 1991-A1. If just the parts had been replaced and night sights added and the sights are still bright then you could probably expect to get $650-$750 for it. However the fact that it's been Duracoated and the original finish lost you can probably expect more in the neighborhood of $500-$650. If it were my gun and someone offered me anything more than $600 for it I would call it a done deal. You're best bet is to list it on Gunbroker and start the bidding at .99 with a $600 reserve and see how high the bidding goes. If it doesn't reach the $600 reserve then you know that you're probably expecting too much but who knows it could sell for much more than that.

rellascout
June 8, 2011, 08:24 PM
Who did the work? Lots of aftermarket parts on that one. Beavetail, slide stop/release, trigger & sights are all aftermarket. $600 max. Unless you can get an invoice from a known smith. IMHO

ColtPythonElite
June 8, 2011, 08:28 PM
I doubt if I would give more than $500 for it now that it has been coated.

FWIW, I bought a NIB Series 80 a while back for not much more than that.

JTQ
June 8, 2011, 08:36 PM
I retract my above estimate. Clearly I don't know enough about the used market. Sorry.

rellascout
June 8, 2011, 08:39 PM
NIB Colt Govts should be in the $700. Modifications if done by a known shop and known smith can increase a pistols value but it is rare to get your money back on a custom gun. IMHO 50% return is about all you can expect.

If it is a shooter the duracoat does not kill its value. The real issue with the duracoat is that you have no idea what the gun looked like before it was done. Sometimes people cover up neglect with bake on finishes. I prefer the Colt Blue but to me its the unknown modifications that are the real devaluator here.

cpirtle
June 9, 2011, 12:13 PM
I agree with both of rellascout's postings.

Unfortunately there are too many bad shade tree gun smith's out there with dremel tools hacking up good 1911's. I personally will not buy a modified 1911 unless it was proven to be done by a known smith or I can get a really good deal on it to absorb the cost of repairs if needed. I can be a little flexible on that rule if the gun is in front of me and I can inspect the work.

A couple of months ago I bought a series 80 1911A1 bone stock in 90% condition for $550 which I prefer over one that came pre-modified.

Ala Dan
June 9, 2011, 03:36 PM
A basic 1991-A1 sells for 'bout $750 in my neck if the woods; with the upgrades to yours, I would ask $999.88~! ;) :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Price check for Colt 1991, series 80" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!