Larger gun for AIWB

PDA

camsdaddy
June 8, 2011, 11:45 AM
I carry primarily AIWB. I have been carrying a Glock 26 or a 642 for sometime. I am on the search for a new carry gun. I have found that the abbreviated grips of my current carry while it aids in concealment but maybe not so much in grip. I know I prefer mine riding lower than most which I know hinders grip as well. I feel the longer barrel will also aid in stabalizing the gun as well as running beside my leg where the shorter barrel may ride on top of. Im just babbling sorta debating a Glock 17 or a 1911 or a Glock 36 at this time. Any suggestions.

If you enjoyed reading about "Larger gun for AIWB" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JTQ
June 8, 2011, 12:42 PM
I suppose it depends on your height or maybe even torso length, but I cannot imagine sitting with a 5" 1911 in the appendix position.

I've experimented with it, and it won't work for me.

In the appendix position, I don't think grip length makes much difference, but barrel length sure does.

Fishbed77
June 8, 2011, 02:52 PM
Walther P99?

Of if you want something a little smaller, a P99c. It's in the same size class as your G26, but the grips are a little longer and easier to hold onto.

ckone
June 8, 2011, 03:25 PM
I lent my usual EDC, a Glock 26, to a friend and on a whim decided to try out carrying my CZ 75 Shadow AIWB in a cheap neoprene IWB holster I had kicking around just to see... Well, I was surprised to say the least.

Even in the crappy holster, it was very easy to deal with and I had no trouble really. AIWB is by far IMO the easiest way to stay concealed and I find it works very well with the larger guns, in fact I did an extended 8hr drive with it on me fairly comfortably just by loosening my belt a notch (and then another notch after the first 4hrs ;)).

Think what surprised me the most is that while I've tried AIWB before with a G17 which worked just ok, the heavier CZ actually carried better this way as the weight balance kept it in place easier for some reason.

I've actually already ordered a holster specifically to carry this gun AIWB now as it is my main pistol, gun I shoot the most and by far the best, and I trust it's reliability completely.
I always thought the weight and size of it eliminated it from ever being a viable option for CCW, but my eyes have been opened and it will be my new regular EDC with the little G26 regulated to situations where the larger CZ is just out of the question (which when worn AIWB isn't going to be that often I'm guessing... as it conceals as well as the baby Glock really, it's just twice as heavy).

Worth mentioning, I use a 5.11 1.75" "casual" belt for EDC, it's reinforced and IMHO is THE best belt out there for EDC in that it's as supportive as any "instructors belts" I've tried, yet looks like a normal belt instead of the ones that look like your granpa's belt and scream "gun here!". A good belt is essential for CCW anyway, but for a large, heavy gun worn AIWB I'd say it's even more so.

orionengnr
June 8, 2011, 07:30 PM
Not familiar with that acronym...but apparently those who responded are.

What is AIWB?

camsdaddy
June 8, 2011, 07:36 PM
Appendix Inside The Waistband. In my case the 1 o clock position

swinokur
June 9, 2011, 08:18 AM
How about Pearce grip extensions rather than another gun?

camsdaddy
June 9, 2011, 08:21 AM
Well the extensions help. I currently have the+ 2 and the ATI. Im considering the sleeve for the 17 mag then I only sacrafice sight radius. Then spend the money I would spend on a new gun and holster on ammo.

autospike
June 9, 2011, 08:54 AM
I run a G26 AIWB. I find the grip is a bit too short for fast, positive draws. A Pearce +0 grip extension fixed that for me. I do not have the holster set for max depth. To be sure, I get better concealment that way, but the draw becomes more difficult. I can conceal a G19 there, but anything bigger than that (like a G17) becomes problematic. The but of the G17 prints pretty badly. The length of the gun isn't too bad, but it is noticeably different.

Carrying AIWB is such a subjective thing, it's really hard to transfer knowledge. Hope you can try out a few before you buy.

MikePaiN
June 9, 2011, 09:18 AM
I sometimes carry my Glock30 in appendix....its okay but I would not want anything larger.

If you enjoyed reading about "Larger gun for AIWB" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!