.308 Semiauto for Reloaders

PDA

Shmackey
June 8, 2011, 12:28 PM
I've been looking at semiautos in .308 to complement my bolt-action .308. Since the latter is nice and accurate, I'm not worried about getting a "tackdriver" semiauto--but I do want to be able to reload for it. I don't buy any factory .308 at all anymore.

I learned recently that the PTR-91 (which was on my list) is less than kind to its ejected brass. Are there any platforms other than the HK clones that I should avoid?

If you enjoyed reading about ".308 Semiauto for Reloaders" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Maverick223
June 8, 2011, 12:42 PM
AR-10 is fairly easy on brass, and the Kel Tec RFB should be extremely easy on brass (given the operating mech.). The ones to avoid are any from the HK-91 series, FAL, M1A/M14, and Saiga/PTR/VEPR...which pretty much covers all the major/popular SA .308s. http://forums.nitroexpress.com/images/graemlins/smilies/general/dunno.gif

Shmackey
June 8, 2011, 01:05 PM
Gah wait no FALs?

mr16ga
June 8, 2011, 01:18 PM
Forget HK91's - fluted chamber and big dents in the cases
M1 Garand re-barreled to 7.62 NATO

It has been awhile since I had a HK91 after thinking about it some more I seem to recall the chamber was a little oversize as well and my Rockchucker press had a to work hard to re-sizeing the cases to go with the dents and all. I never bonded with that rifle it just did not fit me well. It is about the only gun I ever sold that I did not regret it afterwards.

USSR
June 8, 2011, 01:24 PM
Personally, I have zero problems reloading for my DSA FAL.

Don

Mikee Loxxer
June 8, 2011, 02:11 PM
I have (2) FALs. One of which is a DSA SA58 T48 replica. This rifle has stripper clip receiver cover and is very kind to brass. The other is a DSA SA58 carbine with an STG-58 receiver cover. The carbine is not as kind to the brass as the cases strikes a raised surface on the dust cover that leaves a dent.

TexasRifleman
June 8, 2011, 02:16 PM
I reload cases fired from a PTR all the time.

The flute marks are cosmetic for the most part, and the dents are dealt with pretty well with a port buffer.

The brass looks horrible, but it's perfectly safe and usable.

No it's not the rifle of choice if you want to maximize brass reuse, but it's definitely servicable brass.

As for the FAL I'm not sure what the problem would be. Brass from my FAL comes out looking perfect. Same with M14.

I lose more than gets destroyed since the real problem is that these rifles throw empties so far.....

Sunray
June 8, 2011, 02:24 PM
M1A's throw the brass(any semi will), but they don't damage the brass any more than an M1 Rifle will. A dent on the case body or case mouth is nothing to worry about anyway.
Like TexasRifleman says, finding the brass is more of an issue.

Maverick223
June 8, 2011, 03:25 PM
Granted they aren't as bad as a HK-91 and Saiga, but FALs and M1As still tend to dent cases IME. The AR-10 seems to be much gentler IME.

:)

aubie515
June 8, 2011, 04:46 PM
My RFB is awesome on brass...unlike the M1A, FALs, AR10, HK91s that I have owned in the past.

Maverick223
June 8, 2011, 05:32 PM
^I don't doubt it...it just dribbles them at your feet.

:)

lencac
June 8, 2011, 05:55 PM
Sunray is correct. Almost all semi-auto rifles will leave small dents in the brass even if the gas system is tuned properly. The real question is how hard is the extraction process on the casing. Consider what's happening. The rifle is trying to pull a very hot case out of the chamber by way of tugging on the cup/rear of the case. How violent or how smooth this force is applied to the cup of the case is what matters as to how much it weakens the cup to shell bond. M1A's have a very gentle extraction process as opposed to say a H&K 91 or a PTR 91. I've had both and shot both types a lot.
I regularly use brass for my M1A 6 times without a problem before I pitch them. With few exceptions the brass still looks good, no split necks or cups.
My HK/PTR 91 things absolutely demolish the brass and I would not use more than one reload on those.

If you enjoyed reading about ".308 Semiauto for Reloaders" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!