Marlin 30as questions

PDA

biogenic
June 8, 2011, 04:29 PM
I have an opportunity to purchase a model 30as in win 30.30 with a Tasco 3-12 x40 Scope weaver mounts and rail, oversize ambidextrous hammer. It's an one owner gun from the 90s . I already have a 336w which I really enjoy quite a bit and I was thinking getting this one for my wife. What are these things worth now days? What the heck is an oversize ambidextrous hammer?

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 30as questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dr.Rob
June 8, 2011, 05:03 PM
That's an extension that allows the hammer to be cocked even though the bell of a scope would normally interfere with your thumb in doing so. Marlin has been including this bolt on modification with their rifles since the 90's at least.

$350 would be a very high end price for a used Marlin with that scope.

Tasco of old isn't Tasco of today, I'd value it higher if that was a pre-bankruptcy/buyout scope.

biogenic
June 8, 2011, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. Just found out its a 1984 marlin 30as. Asking price $300.00 ...

RevDerb
June 8, 2011, 07:57 PM
I would probably give $300 for it but I'm a sucker for Marlins. The 30AS is the less expensive version of the 336. It has a lesser grade wood stock and foregrip but the mechanicals are identical. If the seller won't budge from $300, I'd pay it but I'd try to get is for $250 - $275.00. It probably sold for under $200 new.

Abel
June 8, 2011, 09:06 PM
That rifle is practically new!!! BUY! BUY! BUY!

Remington now makes the 336 and they have yet to perfect the process, and it may take them a few years to do so. If you have an opportunity to snag a pre-2010 Marlin 30AS or 336 in good-great shape for under $375, by all means do so without feeling like you paid too much.

The only thing that I can see wrong with it is the jacked up recoil pad install job, which is an easy fix. I'd also lose that 40mm scope and mount a 32mm scope as low as possible to the receiver.

I say again:

BUY! BUY! BUY!

biogenic
June 8, 2011, 09:20 PM
The only thing that I can see wrong with it is the jacked up recoil pad install job, which is an easy fix.

Sorry to be so ignorant but what would you do to make it "better" ? If you can post some photos for the correct pad I would be grateful

Al Thompson
June 8, 2011, 09:23 PM
Little high for around here. The scope is an issue as it may be useable or it may be junk. If you can get it to a range and see if the scope is OK, I'd go for it. Otherwise, it's a gamble.

Abel, I see many older 336s in the $250.00 range. Local shop has a couple they can't move. I have one I'd let go cheap if your interested. :D

Biogenic, whoever mounted that pad failed to grind down the edges to match the lines of the stock. Probably shoots fine, just looks odd.

biogenic
June 8, 2011, 09:40 PM
I was thinking about installing that scope on my .308 Rem 788 and getting a Skinner sight for that Lever.... Would the original hammer be avail and is it a real hassle to change it if I don't like it ?

Abel
June 8, 2011, 09:56 PM
That is the original hammer. It just has an accessory screwed to it so that you can easily thumb the hammer while the scope is mounted. You should be able to return it to original in ten seconds or so.

Biogenic, whoever mounted that pad failed to grind down the edges to match the lines of the stock. Probably shoots fine, just looks odd.

Exactly.

Abel
June 8, 2011, 09:59 PM
Abel, I see many older 336s in the $250.00 range. Local shop has a couple they can't move. I have one I'd let go cheap if your interested.

The only thing I have to trade is another 336. Do you ever get up around Raleigh?

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 30as questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!