OMG!!!! I did the worst thing I've ever done to a gun today!

PDA

BIGBANG
June 8, 2011, 11:36 PM
It all started yesterday. I was on my way back from the range and stopped at a lgs on my way back. I walked in to restock on some ammo and lucky me i walk out with a new rifle!!!!! It was a gsg 5. I love it the way it handles and feels, I have to admit I bought it because it looks like an mp5.

Anyway I tried to take it apart and clean it like I do all new guns I buy. Got the stock and forgrip off grabbed my can of break free and sprayed here down. Next thing I know my hands are getting sticky, I look down and this happened!!!!

I feel so stupid! I haven't even shot it yet! why didn't I read the manual before cleaning it!, Now I don't know what to do! The only thing I can think of is taking the rest off and painting it myself, the only problem is I don't know how? What should I use to to paint it? any suggestion is helpful guys, thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "OMG!!!! I did the worst thing I've ever done to a gun today!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TheDriver
June 8, 2011, 11:41 PM
Easiest would probably be Brownells Alumahyde II....Follow the prep instructions closely and you'll be OK.

cyclopsshooter
June 8, 2011, 11:44 PM
Yesterday I knowingly stamped "OLD UGLY" into a Remington Rand slide- At least yours was an accident :P I dont have an excuse...

Condolences though-

Sam Cade
June 8, 2011, 11:46 PM
Whoa! CLP did that?

If so, that was one puny finish.

Gtscotty
June 9, 2011, 12:05 AM
Gun Kote and Duracoat are also paint options.

Is the exposed metal only aluminum? if so, another option would be just stripping the rest of the paint off and rocking it two tone. Probably not a good idea if some of the painted metal is steel.

Option 3: leave it all weathered looking and pretend you've put like 30 k rounds through it.

mr.trooper
June 9, 2011, 12:08 AM
Sorry you ruined your new gun.

Future lesson: Read the included manuals, and use solvents sparingly.

Sky
June 9, 2011, 12:09 AM
Never heard of Breakfree doing that!! Wow!

Effigy
June 9, 2011, 12:12 AM
Just duracoat it. That finish is garbage if it stripped off that easy with a basic CLP.

wally
June 9, 2011, 12:12 AM
Whoa! CLP did that?

If so, that was one puny finish.

My thoughts exactly! I've never seen CLP hurt anything -- metal, paint, rubber, plastic, and anything my greasy paws have transfered it to.

Brake parts cleaner will dissolve some of the comblock stock varnishes, and is not good for the plastic grips on some CZ pistols. Carb cleaner is much more aggressive and will damage many finishes and plastics.

BIGBANG
June 9, 2011, 12:16 AM
yea I cried when I saw the coating dripping from my hand, I think if I'm gonna paint it I might as well make it awesome with some crazy tiger stripes or something, any suggestions?
and yes it was breakfree thats what surprised me so much!

Sam Cade
June 9, 2011, 12:16 AM
If that was a heat cured epoxy type finish I bet one of 2 things happened:

1.They screwed up at the factory and mixed the paint wrong.

2.They screwed up at the factory and didn't put it in the oven.

BIGBANG
June 9, 2011, 12:23 AM
should I call ATI and see what they say?

cbrgator
June 9, 2011, 12:26 AM
should I call ATI and see what they say?

Couldn't hurt!

gathert
June 9, 2011, 12:30 AM
if I'm gonna paint it I might as well make it awesome with some crazy tiger stripes or something, any suggestions?

Lucky for you Duracoat has a tiger stripe paint scheme.

toivo
June 9, 2011, 12:31 AM
Add me to the list of people who are very surprised the Breakfree could do that. What are you supposed to clean it with? Woolite? I think you got one with a bum finish. See what satisfaction you can get warranty-wise.

Gtscotty
June 9, 2011, 12:34 AM
I think if I'm gonna paint it I might as well make it awesome with some crazy tiger stripes or something, any suggestions?

I agree, this is really more of an opportunity than a problem.

Possibilities:

1. Digi-cam: Because all the cool kids are doing it. (probably a lot of work)

2. Red,White and Blue flag pattern: Because nothing screams America like a flag... thats also a gun.

3. Florida flag pattern: Because states need love too.

4. Your favorite color/s: Because, why not? Its your gun, it might as well be your gun and your colors.

Tomcat47
June 9, 2011, 12:37 AM
I agree, this is really more of an opportunity than a problem.
For Sure!

You might call em and tell em there finish washed off with breakfree!

But I would Just Go Here:http://www.houtsenterprises.net/index.html

Make It Yours! :D

The 2nd pic is called vietnam tigerstripe!

I have a friend that duracoats ALL her guns PINK!

she has a PINK:
FN
Beretta 92
Glock
Beretta 3032

and some others.....Good luck!

Friendly, Don't Fire!
June 9, 2011, 12:53 AM
Wow, sorry to hear that. I see from the pictures what a mess the BreakFree made.

Back in the 80's I had a brand new Remington 700 I was sighting in and working up loads for at the range. The black flies (no-see-ums, as they are extremely tiny but will give you a big welt) were so dense, they were trying to carry me off the bench!

Anyway, I put a lot of insect repellent on myself and went back to shooting. Next thing I knew, my hands, wet with repellent, were getting all sticky, I looked down and here, the wood finish was all coming off the BRAND-NEW 700 and onto my hands!

Man, was I pissed! :fire::evil::cuss::banghead: I had to strip a perfectly good stock and I remember sanding the checkering which removed all sharpness of the cut-in lines!:banghead::o:uhoh::confused:

A friend joked and said "well, if I ever need to remove original Remington stock finish, I shall use that repellent" :):D -- it would have been like Off, or one of those spray-on kinds.

So, even though that happened around 1980, I remember the pain I felt at the bench looking down at my new rifle stuck to my hands with the stock full of sticky hand-prints! :scrutiny::uhoh::)

Friendly, Don't Fire!
June 9, 2011, 12:58 AM
I think I would paint it in some kind of camo if that were my gun. Like others stated, just follow the prep directions to a T, even follow the directions putting the stuff on and how to keep it on!

Look at it this way, you can most likely make a better finish than was original, that is, if they did not screw up at the factory when yours got finished!

As others mentioned, I would DEFINATELY check with the factory to see if that coating should be more permanant than THAT finish was!:cool:

jpwilly
June 9, 2011, 02:36 AM
Add me to the list of people who are very surprised the Breakfree could do that. What are you supposed to clean it with? Woolite? I think you got one with a bum finish. See what satisfaction you can get warranty-wise.

Thats funny right there!

Sport45
June 9, 2011, 03:08 AM
It has character now. Just shoot it. ;)

LoonWulf
June 9, 2011, 03:35 AM
If it IS aluminum id get it anodized acidwash green/black or gray/black.....that would be cool looking lol

EAJ
June 9, 2011, 04:55 AM
That's sad, been there. I've seen BreakFree Powder Blaster do that kind of damage to some finishes and plastic, but never BreakFree CLP.

Gunnerab
June 9, 2011, 06:07 AM
Heat treat it purple and red, for a truly 'unique' look. But a black duracoat is the way to go for price and durability. But for the cool factor camo's awesome.

caribou
June 9, 2011, 06:16 AM
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww...................;)

and here I thought someone took a hacksaw to a perfectly good Mosin......

kozak6
June 9, 2011, 06:20 AM
It's very strange that Breakfree took off the finish. You should definitely contact the manufacturer.

Most homemade camo jobs look awful. Be careful.

It's possible to fake digital camo with carefully applied tape.

Rubber_Duck
June 9, 2011, 06:28 AM
Wow that is BAAAD! A weak finish for sure. I would expect that from Gunscrubber, not CLP.

forindooruseonly
June 9, 2011, 07:03 AM
Before you call the factory, try some other solvents - Hoppes, ect, and see if they take off the finish as well.

hardluk1
June 9, 2011, 07:37 AM
If Breakfree CLP did this then most any product used would cause damage too. Sounds like a GSG problem not yours.

Al Thompson
June 9, 2011, 09:22 AM
Agree with hardluk. That's a factory problem as Breakfree CLP is mostly just oil.

dprice3844444
June 9, 2011, 09:28 AM
http://www.robarguns.com

MtnCreek
June 9, 2011, 09:32 AM
BigBang,
Sorry about your gun finish. Can you post a close up photo of the can of Breakfree used?

Also, one of your photos shows the gun on the washing machine; only wash firearms in the dishwasher, not the washing machine.:)

wingman
June 9, 2011, 10:08 AM
I believe it states on back of my Breakfree can, won't harm "most" gun finishes.

Modern chemical and finishes are difficult IMO never know what will harm them. Couple years back I was cleaning a new pistol and dropped EEzox on plastic grips before I could wipe off it removed the finish somewhat like Acetone would do. Anyway I'm more careful now as to how and what I use.

Most of the cleaning/lube is done with Hoppes,Kroil oil,FP10, gun butter and an air compressor, not a huge fan of Breakfree but I do use it on small parts.

JustinJ
June 9, 2011, 10:45 AM
Maybe you said it already and i'm overlooking it but are you sure it was CLP and not Powder Blast? Powder Blast will eat many platics as the old grips of my Beretta Tomcat will attest to.

So what does the manual recomend to use? HK recomends using CLP on the Polymer UMP/USC.

wally
June 9, 2011, 10:48 AM
Anyway, I put a lot of insect repellent on myself and went back to shooting. Next thing I knew, my hands, wet with repellent, were getting all sticky, I looked down and here, the wood finish was all coming off the BRAND-NEW 700 and onto my hands!

Many insect repellents will eat through a plastic cup! Try it! Makes me only use it when necessary, but I'll take the chance over West-Nile, Malaria, Dengue Fever, etc. carried by the mosquitos.

HGUNHNTR
June 9, 2011, 10:49 AM
Sorry dude, thats the problem with a product that is supposed to do 3 very different things (clean, lube, protect) very well. It ends of doing a halfway job, and sometimes worse.

JustinJ
June 9, 2011, 11:25 AM
I'd say its hard to lube effectively and not protect at the same time. As long as coat remains it is protecting. As far as cleaning, products like CLP won't do so as well as a solvent but for regular cleaning they are more than adequate. The only real difference is they may require a little more elbow grease than a solvent.

ForumSurfer
June 9, 2011, 11:34 AM
I say duracoat it in desert tan or a dark gray digi camo pattern. Whatever you do, it'd just be silly to refinish it to factory colors. Maybe even go pink with a breast cancer ribbon on it. :)

I just handled one of those yesterday in rifle configuration with a stock and a fake can, it looked like it would be a fun plinker. If nothing else, racking the bolt with it shouldered is really fun...makes you feel all ninja-fied. For a minute, I felt like a mall ninja and liked it.

41magsnub
June 9, 2011, 11:37 AM
Bug spray can be some harsh stuff. At our cabin we had just finished installing a new steel door with my Dad in charge. He took a break and touched up his bug spray, the over spray etched the plexiglass window! We were all really glad he was the one to make that mistake first!

hardluk1
June 9, 2011, 11:59 AM
Breakfree CLP has been around for almost 50 years and to this point has been good to on ever firearm I have own and so many others with many of them being plastic of some sort. This is a case of a inferior applied finish on a firearm.

HGUNHNTR
June 9, 2011, 12:20 PM
I'm sure Breakfree appreciates your loyalty.

MtnCreek
June 9, 2011, 12:27 PM
I may be wrong (happens often!), but I'm thinking this was Break Cleaner.

Zach S
June 9, 2011, 12:43 PM
Is the exposed metal only aluminum? if so, another option would be just stripping the rest of the paint off and rocking it two tone. Probably not a good idea if some of the painted metal is steel.
Its all aluminum, IIRC. Haven't had mine out in a while, but it reminds me of the pewter jewelry you get at gas stations and flea markets...

If it happened to mine, I'd be tempted to polish it, then clear it to offer some protection from the elements. Like the MP5 variant that Dennis Hopper's character had in Speed...

BIGBANG
June 9, 2011, 01:18 PM
Ok I called ATI, after holding for the better half of 25 minutes I get a guy who answers with hey kinda like Fonzi said on happy days. I kindly and politely tell him my name and what my problem was. Then he ask me if I know anything about guns. I said yes I have several, I just never knew breakfree to ruin a finish like that. He well breakfrees a borecleaner and it shouldn't be used on the outside of the gun.

I kindly tell him that I understand and I wasn't dipping the gun in it but the finish started to run when I sprayed the inside to clean the gun. The he starts yelling incoherently for about three minutes which would've been nice if he didn't do it in the phone. After he finishes yelling he does his fonzi impression followed by a HEEELLOOOO!!!!! and I answer yes, he then tells me I voided the warranty and hung up.:cuss:

I can't say I'm surprised. ATI's customer service is definitely no KELTEC but I guess I'm gonna finish it myself. Tomcat that is perfect thanks for the website. I'm gonna call them and order a camo set. Theres just so many sets to chose from I gotta make a decision on which one.

hardluk1
June 9, 2011, 04:03 PM
BIGBANG I guess them dummies did not release the CLP means clean, lub and protect. Bet they used a cheap paint from the local hardware. To bad they are like that

JustinJ
June 9, 2011, 04:09 PM
I'd scream about this on every gun board you can find.

Fishbed77
June 9, 2011, 05:57 PM
I'd scream about this on every gun board you can find.

Before doing this, I'd call their CS again and try to take to someone else. Somtimes, that makes all the difference. Don't give up yet!

DoubleTapDrew
June 9, 2011, 06:08 PM
I'd call back and talk to a supervisor, manager, etc. Someone like that should not be in customer service.

At least now you can go wild with whatever color scheme you like

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y296/menta1/camomp5.jpg

trueg50
June 9, 2011, 06:52 PM
That is crazy!

I have used Break free on Walther P22's, S&W 15-22's, 10/22 (of course) and lots of plastic parts (some from the 1970's) and I have never seen or heard of it doing that! Breakfree is an extremely common cleaner, and is very safe to use on other firearms.

Support reps are very hit or miss. Some will know the ins and outs of a rifle and be very helpful; while others barely know what a .22LR is!

The manual does not state not to use Breakfree or anything, you should call them and see if another rep is more helpful; if not elevate it to their supervisor.

nwilliams
June 9, 2011, 06:56 PM
Wow, that's some strong solvent!

I would repaint it and probably go with a rhodesian camo color scheme, I think that would look pretty spiffy!

BIGBANG
June 12, 2011, 12:02 AM
Sorry it took me so long to get back fellas. Work gets in the way sometimes. I called ATI again but to no avail. I told them that maybe they just didn't get the finish right but of course the customer is always wrong! They said I voided the warranty so whatever. The good thing is I did order a duracoat scheme but ya'll are gonna have to wait till I finish it. I will take pics along the way to share the process for anyone else who might be interested in it, it'll probably be next week sometime, but thanks for all the advice guys. I was totally distraught! But now I def think it's a positive in disguise!

hometheaterman
June 12, 2011, 12:41 AM
So using Breakfree CLP voids their warranty? This is a company I never want to deal with.

I lube most of my guns with Breakfree CLP and use it as oil and I've never had any issues with any of them.

W.E.G.
June 12, 2011, 12:49 AM
I could not fore-see this thing happening to you...

Paint it black.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNvl19RDqbI

Apocalypse-Now
June 12, 2011, 02:06 AM
They said I voided the warranty

:eek:

i would sell it, and never purchase another one of their products.

db_tanker
June 12, 2011, 12:16 PM
I would at least try to get to a second tier of customer service before closing the door completely.

IF tier two is just as...nice as the first one then I would light 'em up.

Rshooter
June 12, 2011, 03:41 PM
I just feel in a mood today. I sent ATI's customer service an email. I am curious to see the result.

I am to understand that BreakFree CLP voids your warranty. Please tell me that I am wrong on this information.

Thanks,

toivo
June 12, 2011, 04:15 PM
I am to understand that BreakFree CLP voids your warranty. Please tell me that I am wrong on this information.

^ ^ ^

Yeah that. AFAIK, Breakfree CLP is one of the mildest cleaners out there. I had an incident once where CLP took the finish off an aftermarket sight-mounting adapter on a rifle. I contacted the maker, and he was very apologetic about an "insufficiently cured finish" and replaced the part at no cost to me. That's the way it "s'posed to be."

Stevie-Ray
June 12, 2011, 06:10 PM
I think everyone here should send an email to cecil.moore@americantactical.us. The guy is the National Sales Coordinator. He responded to my first email so he is paying attention. We should let him know we are paying attention too and we represent a lot of the firearms buying public. Done. I have a GSG-5 and this concerns me greatly.

mizzlep
June 12, 2011, 10:15 PM
Well, with any luck, you paid with your Visa card.
Take it back to the gun shop. Demand a refund. If they tell you no, tell them you are going to dispute the charges because the product is obviously defective.

If they refuse to refund your money, call Visa, and dispute the charges; you'll get your money back. It's blatantly unacceptable for a firearm to have a finish get stripped off by basic cleaner.

I think the gun shop is equally responsible. If the guy behind the counter is selling this junk, and doesn't let his customers know, he deserves to eat the loss as well. Let him sort it out with the manufacturer.

If you didn't pay with Visa, I'd still demand the refund from the shop anyway.

TziTzi
June 12, 2011, 10:41 PM
I'm with mizzlep on the gun shop part. Anyone who operates a gun store should know that breakfree shouldn't hurt a gun like that.

Rshooter
June 14, 2011, 03:42 PM
I got this reply back from ATI today. I would suggest calling this gentleman and figuring out what is going on.

Hi Jeff,

No Sir CLP does not void the warranty of the firearm.

Darwin Soto
CSR
American Tactical Imports
Phone: 585-328-0945 ext.140 Toll Free: 800-290-0065 ext.140
mailto:darwin.soto@americantactical.us

joeq
June 14, 2011, 06:47 PM
I have used CLP on every firearm I own, I've never experienced anything like that. I assume any cleaner would produce the same results on you rifle.

AR-15 Rep
June 14, 2011, 07:59 PM
If CLP did that... I wonder if there is any solvant that could be used... ???

Carl N. Brown
June 14, 2011, 08:15 PM
That is strange. I have a couple of "pawn shop orphan" guns that I stripped and refinished with spray paint and have cleaned and lubed with CLP (but not the spray can variety, the bottled liquid CLP Break Free).

dbb1776
June 14, 2011, 08:43 PM
I just tried to strip a rattle can finish on an gun. Hoppes took it off after I soaked it. Also sprayed the whole barrel assembly with goof off and B-12 and wrapped in a rag. NO damage to the factory finish. Your finish is DEFEctive!

Mikenmel08
June 16, 2011, 07:40 AM
Did the same thing, just powder coat it and be done. For all you duracoat fans, Gunscrubber will eat your finish as well. Learned that the hard way also. Can't find anything that will mess with powder coating yet.
http://tapatalk.com/mu/3237d147-dda3-633f.jpg

kwelz
June 16, 2011, 11:49 AM
I use gunscrubber on duracoated firearms all the time. Never had it do anything to the finish. Duracoat and Ceracoat are pretty much untouchable.

Mikenmel08
June 16, 2011, 01:34 PM
I had my STG556 duracoated and gunscrubber messed it all up. Maybe I just used it to soon. The finish was only on about two weeks.

gathert
June 16, 2011, 02:30 PM
So dont use gunscrubber? I've always used Hoppes #9 and I dont soak the gun parts in it so I dont think that should cause a problem. I could see copper remover or heavy duty gun cleaner doing something to a Duracoat finish though. Don't think I'll try it. I am planning on Duracoating a gun once I get my next one so I'll keep a look out just in case.

Effigy
June 16, 2011, 02:50 PM
@ Mikenmel08: I think 2 weeks is probably too soon. Duracoat cures over a period of several weeks. It should be solid enough to start handling the gun normally after a couple weeks, but I'd be pretty careful with solvents on that finish during that time.

HOOfan_1
June 16, 2011, 03:14 PM

Some insect repellant can double as paint stripper. I've seen where cans of it have leaked on store shelves and the paint on theshelves comes right off. Nasty stuff.

kwelz
June 16, 2011, 03:30 PM
Yeah things like DEET will actually melt plastic.

gathert
June 16, 2011, 07:37 PM
And we used to put that stuff all over our bodies.

atblis
June 16, 2011, 08:50 PM
Another email sent. :)

gathert
June 16, 2011, 09:57 PM
DEET is probably your best chance for ticks.

skipbo32
June 17, 2011, 03:42 AM
duracoat the sucker and be done with it. you will end up with a better finish than you had.

Yeager
June 17, 2011, 11:12 AM
Just another reason to NOT buy the mall ninja **** and stick with a tried and true .22 rifle.

kwelz
June 17, 2011, 11:17 AM
O_o

Ummm. Sure. Because anything besides a single shot .22 is obviously bad and should not be owned by us irresponsible civilians who just want to act like we are cool.

harmon rabb
June 17, 2011, 03:10 PM
CLP did that? Holy hell!

SSN Vet
June 17, 2011, 05:25 PM
did you grab "brake cleaner" by accident in stead of "Break free"

Apocalypse-Now
June 18, 2011, 05:51 AM
So dont use gunscrubber?

gunscrubber is fine on quality guns. results may vary on cheap/obscure ones.

If you enjoyed reading about "OMG!!!! I did the worst thing I've ever done to a gun today!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!