Titan 25 - Anybody Got One?

PDA

Tomcat47
June 8, 2011, 11:25 PM
Hi All,

I have had this little guy for almost 15 years! I traded a hand held Kennedy Tool Box for it!

I know they are what they are, but it has at the very least 500 rounds through it from me...no failures of any kind!

The Question I have....because internet info on it is like hunting a needle in a hay stack....If you look at pics..the recoil spring guide rod...does yours extend out like this? I think it has had one made for it at some point?, or it is missing some kind of bushing?

Has always worked just fine, just looks funny!

But it has rode many a day in my front pocket...kept a dog off me one time too!

If you enjoyed reading about "Titan 25 - Anybody Got One?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Snowdog
June 8, 2011, 11:36 PM
Though I've never owned one myself, every FIE Titan I can remember examining did have the guide rod protruding from the slide somewhat. I don't remember seeing an obvious bushing (ala 1911), but I can't be certain it doesn't have one.

I did have a coworker years ago who pocket carried one for quite some time and seemed to hold it in high esteem. It sounds from your post that your Titan is as reliable as his was.

Tomcat47
June 9, 2011, 11:13 PM
LOL!

Onward Allusion
June 10, 2011, 12:28 AM
Tomcat47 (http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=48182)
Titan 25 - Anybody Got One?Not only will I admit that I have one, but I'll admit that I have three of 'em. :eek:

One still has the box and all papers and all are in excellent to mint condition. Mine are all gold toned with wood grips and are dang reliable for something I'd paid $55 a piece new for... I haven't shot 'em in years and they sit in the safe. I hold on to them because they were some of the first handguns I'd purchased after moving out of Chicago and I didn't know any better at the time.

The reason why the guide rod protrude a bit from the slide is due to the design of the safety. These little guys don't have firing pin or hammer blocks - only a trigger block. With the safety engaged, the guide rod slides back and blocks the trigger from moving.

From what I'd learned through the years is that these little guns made by Tangfolio and imported by the now defunct FIE are probably some of the best of the inexpensive pocket protectors of their generation. Not in the same class as a Baby Browning, Colt Vest Pocket, or Bauer but definitely not a Raven or Jennings either. The frames and slide are steel. Some frames are aluminum. None were pot-metal (zinc alloy) but I could be wrong.

D D Straitwell
June 10, 2011, 12:44 AM
Just had to see what the bushing on the Titan 25 ACP looked like. Got mine out of my concealed vest and there it is - the bushing sticks out about 1/8" when it is in the firing
(F) position. When on safe it is withdrawn nearly all the way into the frame. Hope this answers your concern. Mine functions fine. Hope I never need it - might make the other party mad at me if I used it. With this caliber bullet placement is everything. DDS

pockets
June 10, 2011, 08:11 AM
Actually, FIE sold Titan 25's with all types of frames and slides....including ZAMAK.
Great little guns. I have a couple of them. My favorite has a stainless-steel slide on an alloy frame.

The basic ZAMAK version was also sold by 'Heritage' and 'Quality Firearms Inc'. I have one of the Q.F.I. versions and it is as reliable a shooter as my FIE guns.

ricebasher302
June 10, 2011, 11:55 PM
My mother's Titan had to be replaced (LCP) because the zinc frame wore enough to make the gun inoperable. It was a reliable little piece while it lasted, but it WAS made of zinc.

Dr.Rob
June 11, 2011, 01:23 AM
Mine protrudes like that. There were several variations of the slide and internals but I don't think the guide rod ever changed.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=48211&d=1164085311

Since I first posted this I've repaired it, but it took several tries to get the right part.

Apocalypse-Now
June 11, 2011, 02:19 AM
:eek:

Onward Allusion
June 11, 2011, 11:52 AM
OK - I need some clarification. As far as I know, the FIE imported ones (made by Tangfolio) didn't have frames made from zinc alloy. Can someone confirm that the Titan 25s with zinc alloy frames were Tanfoglio manufactured? Just curious more than anything else.

tyr_shadowblade
June 19, 2011, 02:01 AM
Hi.

The Titans with zinc alloy frames were manufactured in the United States from imported parts, most of which came from Tanfoglio, after the GCA '68 import ban of small automatic pistols. The imported Titans, both the Italian Tanfoglio and the Spanish Hermano, had steel frames.

Numerous companies, most of which were in Florida, made post ban Titans from imported parts and US made Zamak frames. A few of those companies were: FIE, EIG, QFI, Heritage, and Excam. The thing is, the parts do not interchange. There are at least 3 types of magazine, 3 types of firing pin, 2 types of slide, and 2 types of recoil spring assembly. It is a classic Saturday Night Special.

Surprisingly, most of these pistols are extremely reliable (due in part to the Beretta style open slide) and the one I owned would put every hole in the center ring from 20 feet away -- which was more accurate than my Colts.

They are a "no frills" version of the Beretta Jetfire, with an inferior safety switch (which doubles as the takedown lever) and a traditional magazine release at the base of the grip. They are well worth a hundred bucks for excellent condition.

Armybrat
June 19, 2011, 10:00 PM
Not me, but my late 80 year-old MIL owned a Titan .25 in her hometown of Taylor, Texas (Pop. 10,000). She even used it to ward off an intruder.

Her yappy little poodles woke her up at 1am about 25 years ago with a big ruckus. Seems that a shirtless, probably drugged-up intruder was trying to force the door on her back entry porch.

She threw down on the dude with her mighty Titan .25 (which I didn't even know she had). The perp - not a neighborhood resident - looked at the little popgun, thinkin' about it.....and took off running. Cops couldn't find him after an extensive search. Guess it provided them with some entertainment during a boring night shift.

Anyway, that week I got her a S&W Chief's Special & a couple boxes of ammo (one was SJHP, the other FMJ to shoot up). That's all she could handle, as she really didn't know how to work a semiauto. She had bought the Titan at a local hardware store and had a cop friend load it for her. She never shot the thing ever. It had the zinc frame, IIRC.

Scary stuff, isn't it?

My son owns the Titan now, but it just sits in his safe.

tyr_shadowblade
June 21, 2011, 03:15 PM
The Titan is a SA pistol. You need to cock the hammer back in order to fire it. Unlike a Jetfire they cannot be carried cocked with the safety on (which I consider a bad idea). So that pistol would not have fired. Good thing that guy ran away.

Dr.Rob
June 21, 2011, 06:40 PM
It can be carried cocked with the safety on, and thats the way it should be carried.

SonofGilnockie89
June 22, 2011, 12:51 AM
I don't own one but the brother-in-law does.............I've tried to buy it off him numerous times as I work for a certain liberal retail company based out of Chicago that does not allow carry. That .25 ammo hurts to buy though........

MICHAEL T
June 22, 2011, 02:06 PM
Guide rod on mine stick out also.

I bought mine , new off a dealer. For 50 bucks It shoots very well and accurate. Not the quality of my 2 950 Beretta's but never less a good little pistol.

tyr_shadowblade
June 23, 2011, 09:14 PM
Hi.

You say that the Titan "should be carried" fully cocked with the safety on?

That is really a matter of personal opinion. I would be very uncomfortable doing so. I understand that some folks feel the Beretta Jetfire is also "safe" to carry cocked and locked, but a ZAMAK framed Titan is not a Jetfire.

I prefer half-cock, safety off, myself. That is how I always carried my Jetfire. I was uncomfortable carrying my Titan that way because on a couple of occasions, moments after dropping the hammer to half cock, it slipped out of the notch and wanted to strike the firing pin (my thumb was still on the hammer so it did not fire). After that, I stopped trusting the half cock notch on that particular Titan. Once it was fully settled into half cock position it seemed fine, but the initial positioning was an issue.

As for the Titan guide rod assemblies, there were 2 distinct configurations. One utilized a "captured" guide rod in a one piece assembly. The other could be stripped down into several pieces.

If you enjoyed reading about "Titan 25 - Anybody Got One?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!