Russian Pistol Question

PDA

Tokarevsrule
June 9, 2011, 07:16 AM
I would like to know why the Russians went to the makarov design from the tokarev. I have a yugo m57 and have looked at makarovs, and I think the tok looks like a more refined and modern design. It has a 1911 style mag release instead of a heel release. The slide release is also designed better IMHO. The only reason I can see is the lack of a safety. I know why they switched calibers, only want to know about design.

If you enjoyed reading about "Russian Pistol Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kendal Black
June 9, 2011, 07:21 AM
Blowback is cheaper to make than locked breech, & easier to make accurate.

I suppose they also decided the safety catch idea was more than just an effete capitalist fad. ;)

JustinJ
June 9, 2011, 08:40 AM
I would think capacity may have been a part of it. Not sure about the velocity of Makarov rounds but i would guess the ability to effectively silence its bullet is probably easier.

PabloJ
June 9, 2011, 08:48 AM
They had some Walther PP samples and liked what they seen.

harmon rabb
June 9, 2011, 08:58 AM
Cheaper to produce pistol, cheaper to produce ammo.

If you enjoyed reading about "Russian Pistol Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!