Marlin 39A/AS

PDA

Jurist
June 10, 2011, 12:52 AM
Would you buy a new production one of these guns,why and why not,is there any reaql problems with them?.I am thinking of getting one and would prefer a new gun for the money.Any opinions would be apreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 39A/AS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mister2
June 11, 2011, 05:45 PM
Would you buy a new production one of these guns,why and why not,is there any reaql problems with them?.I am thinking of getting one and would prefer a new gun for the money.Any opinions would be apreciated.

1. No
2. Older design and quality control were better
3. extractor

chicharrones
June 11, 2011, 10:00 PM
Jurist, do you mean pre-safety vs. with safety or Marlin owned vs. Remington owned?

Badlander
June 12, 2011, 10:09 AM
I would not buy A new Marlin sight unseen. Too many problems with them now. I would look at one VERY carefully before I bought it. Many are reporting getting good rifles. though bad ones are being shipped.
Look for an older one made by marlin before Remmington took over.

Smokey in PHX
June 12, 2011, 02:13 PM
I had a great 39 in the late 60's. Bought it used from an upset gentleman coming out of a gunshop where they offered him $25 on trade for it. Looked new with box and papers. I gave him $40 for it. Used it many years then traded it for a Ruger mod 77 Ultra Lite 30-06 with a Leopold scope even up.I have many bolt action Marlin 22 rifles which shoot great. Just been thinking of getting a new 39. Glad I read this as I had not heard about problems with these rifles.

RickMD
June 12, 2011, 02:55 PM
I have one made in the early '70's and one that I bought about four years ago. Except for some minor cosmetic changes, (and the lawyer inspired cross bolt safety) I don't see a lot of difference in the two. Both function and shoot beautifully.

Dr T
June 12, 2011, 09:45 PM
I thought I had an extractor problem on my Model 39 TDS which I purchased new about 20 years ago. It turned out to be a really dirty chamber.

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 39A/AS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!