More handguns or long guns?

PDA

Finedges
June 10, 2011, 11:19 PM
No way will I ask how many of each, as I won't tell either. ;)
Just wondering in folks collections, which takes priority numbers wise.
For me, it's handguns, always been a pistolero.:D

If you enjoyed reading about "More handguns or long guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
chevyman097
June 10, 2011, 11:59 PM
handguns are for fighting your way back to the rifle......

lol

jk

i like my handguns but i like my rifles more.

kozak6
June 11, 2011, 12:29 AM
I think handguns are more fun to shoot.

I currently have more long guns, but a long term goal is to correct this.

Tim the student
June 11, 2011, 12:39 AM
I greatly prefer rifles to shotguns to handguns.

JTHunter
June 11, 2011, 12:44 AM
Two shottys, 5 rifles, 6 handguns.
When I inheret two guns, it will be one each.

Zundfolge
June 11, 2011, 12:46 AM
I carry a gun 24/7/365 and I don't hunt, so for me handguns are tools while rifles are toys ... I have more tools than toys.

orionengnr
June 11, 2011, 12:47 AM
I so seldom shoot my long guns that one .22LR rifle, one 12 gauge and one bolt rifle seem excessive.

I shoot one or more of my handguns about once a week. :)

Eaglestroker
June 11, 2011, 12:54 AM
I enjoy handguns more than long guns strictly due to the area I have to shoot at doesn't support anything passed 75 yds or so. Given a head count I have a fairly even collection though :)

nwilliams
June 11, 2011, 12:56 AM
I have a lot more long guns than I do handguns.

It bugs me sometimes because every time I think of spending some money on a new handgun I end up stumbling upon another rifle that simply must have.

RimfireChris
June 11, 2011, 12:57 AM
I have more pistols than long guns, I don't hunt, don't really need a huge variety of long guns, although there's several I still want just because I always wnted one.

wrs840
June 11, 2011, 01:15 AM
I had to open my 'puter s.n. roster and count. ...And long-guns wins by a nose.

Water-Man
June 11, 2011, 01:19 AM
Equal amount.

Apocalypse-Now
June 11, 2011, 06:33 AM
hand guns. they're cheaper, and there aren't any close by rifle ranges, where as i can slip off down to the indoor pistol range 5 minutes away. yeah, i can shoot a rifle there if i wanted to, but i'm not wasting rifle ammo shooting at 25yards.

Dr.Rob
June 11, 2011, 06:45 AM
If my long guns catch up I'll have to buy another safe.

ATBackPackin
June 11, 2011, 06:50 AM
I have twice as many handguns as I do long guns, but as I do not hunt at the present time it works for me. I do however truly enjoy shooting my rifles and would like to add more to my "arsenal", and I use that term very loosely. With all of that being said I think I will always appreciate and admire handguns more.

Shawn

CraigC
June 11, 2011, 10:55 AM
I love rifles and shoot them much better but for me, handguns are typically more fun to shoot. More challenging to shoot well. Perhaps a bit more.....interesting, as well.

longhair75
June 11, 2011, 12:17 PM
I shoot handguns. I have three shotguns and a .22 rifle, but I haven't shot the long guns in years.

scythefwd
June 11, 2011, 12:22 PM
I'm 4 and 4 if you don't count the different barrels for my cva. I'm 6-4 rifles if you do.

Jonah71
June 11, 2011, 12:30 PM
If I had not lost the sight in my right eye, I'd still have and use a lot of long guns. I miss firing them a lot. And the one I miss firing most of all....the lever action .22.

forindooruseonly
June 11, 2011, 04:56 PM
Of my guns, the handguns have the edge, but that certainly doesn't mean I'm slacking on rifles!

I'm equally interested.

amprecon
June 11, 2011, 06:25 PM
I have 5 long-guns and 2 handguns.

RX-178
June 11, 2011, 06:28 PM
I know I've got more long guns than handguns...

And if I could, for the life of me, remember exactly how many I had of each, I'd tell you.

Finedges
June 11, 2011, 06:32 PM
Wow. Just about 50/50 at this point. Makes me wonder if most have a balance of the two or if the camps are divided? I guess my ratio is about 3:1 handguns over long. May have to do with the fact I'm not a big hunter, and I carry in a large metro area. Love to shoot too and handgun ammo is definitely cheaper (ruling out 22lr) and I can affordably shoot more often with handguns.

USAF_Vet
June 11, 2011, 07:03 PM
One hand gun, a few rifles and a couple shotguns.

TexasBill
June 11, 2011, 07:25 PM
2.5 handguns per rifle. No shotguns (yet).

heeler
June 11, 2011, 07:34 PM
I have far more long guns than handguns.
Over the years I have owned handguns but mostly hunted and preferred long guns.
Over the last couple of years I have started becoming more interested in handguns but I can honestly say they are not likely to ever out number or replace my long guns.

22-rimfire
June 11, 2011, 08:29 PM
Handguns. Didn't start that way. But they were easier to carry around from place to place.

Justin Holder
June 11, 2011, 08:32 PM
The poll is at 50-50, kind of surprising.

I have 3 long guns to every 1 handgun.

Prorock
June 11, 2011, 08:40 PM
I am split 50/50 handguns to long guns. Guess I have to step it up on one or the other.

Zach S
June 11, 2011, 09:22 PM
More handguns here. I only consider one a range toy, a .22lr 1911, the rest are for defense. Pistols get carried and used the most, and therefore vary in size. Although I will admit that I have one set of twins, and few I have only because I'd take too much of a hit selling them.

As for defense long guns, I have one AR, one AK, and one shotgun. The rest are toys, a few PCCs are suitable for defense IMO, but not my first choice. I dont hunt or shoot at long distances, so if I'm using a long gun, its either going to be for home defense, SHTF, maybe some three-gun. I've got them covered.

I dont have the disposable income I used to, if I ever do (HA!), I plan on buying a few more long guns to balance it out a little bit.

Onmilo
June 11, 2011, 09:25 PM
I have about an equal mix of both handguns and long guns but own more rifles than shotguns and own more semi auto handguns than revolvers.

Sooner1911
June 11, 2011, 10:42 PM
Like Heeler, I have way more long guns than handguns. Most of my recent purchases have been handguns (Kimber and S&W 1911 and Colt Trooper Mark III), but I will soon start back on more rifles. However, after these rifle purchases (Vanguard Deluxe 30-06 and Volquartsen 17 HMR), I think I am done. Well, maybe a bolt 22 if I don't think the 17 HMR cuts it. After that a couple more shotguns (custom OU and a nice side by side) and I am done with all shotgun purchases as well. Handguns, not so much. I dream of having a complete set of Colt snakes, but would settle for a nice 4" Royal Blue Python to shoot, not stare at.

Ala Dan
June 11, 2011, 10:44 PM
Handguns = collect 'em, shoot 'em, and enjoy 'em~! ;):D

June 12, 2011, 03:50 AM
50/50

RichBMW
June 12, 2011, 09:10 AM
I enjoy them both but handguns win by a nose (and I'm getting into 1911's, so that "nose" may soon resemble Pinocchio's.):D

Smokey in PHX
June 12, 2011, 11:41 AM
I wish I had more handguns than long guns. Handguns are much easier to store. I have way more long guns than handguns.

DM~
June 12, 2011, 11:55 AM
I find it MUCH smarter to buy better optics, and MUCH more ammo, and practice practice practise!!! Everyone here wants a truck load of guns, when practiseing with what you have would be much MUCH better.

DM

bannockburn
June 12, 2011, 12:01 PM
I have more handguns than long guns. Definitely have a use for rifles and shotguns; just something about semi-autos and revolvers that will always make them my favorites.

az_imuth
June 12, 2011, 12:02 PM
16% Handguns
84% Long guns

I seem to trade/sell handguns more readily than the rifles. I kinda get attached to most of the rifles and find it hard to let them go for some strange reason. I also have a fondness for vintage edged weapons which outnumber the firearms by a wide margin.

isc
June 12, 2011, 01:03 PM
I have about 4x as many rifles as I do handguns.

hermannr
June 12, 2011, 01:22 PM
I have 1 more handgun than long gun, very happy with all of them. Wife has 50/50. I have always wanted a rifle in .257 Roberts...that would make it 50/50again for me too if I manage that.

ColeK
June 12, 2011, 07:07 PM
Posted June 10, 2011, 09:59 PM; by chevyman097
handguns are for fighting your way back to the rifle......

i like my handguns but i like my rifles more.

++ on that and I'm never far from either!

Aiko492
June 12, 2011, 09:09 PM
5 handguns (all AU). One shotguns just out the door, one AR hopefully incoming.

Erik M
June 12, 2011, 09:23 PM
I prefer handguns and have several models all over the price range , but I have a couple nice rifles, an AR15 and a Mossberg shotty.

Rexster
June 13, 2011, 12:57 PM
I am not so sure how to define "collection," but either way, I have more handguns. The only firearms I own just to have them are single action revolvers, and a retired duty sixgun that is DA. I reckon I have indeed accumulated more "working" firearms than I really need, so collection or not, it is still more handguns than long weapons.

Both of my shotguns are working guns. Either may be carried on police patrol, and either may be used for off-the-clock SD/HD.

I was late getting started with rifles, except for an Uzi Carbine early on, which I saw as a glorified handgun that was legally a rifle. (Texas had no legal handgun carry system in place during my young adult days; a folding-stock Uzi carbine was about the most compact rifle that could be carried possessed in public places back then.)

As I started acquiring rifles, I kept the numbers low for several reasons, chief among them being secure storage space, second being the humid climate where I live. Handguns can be kept in containers with desiccant, or in bags containing rust inhibitors, more easily.

Another factor at work is that I have always been more of a pistolero, attracted to 1911s and sixguns more than other firearms.

Gregaw
June 13, 2011, 03:38 PM
I have some handguns, but I loves my rifles...

modifiedbrowning
June 13, 2011, 04:25 PM
I have about 5X as many hand guns as long guns.

Maverick223
June 13, 2011, 06:35 PM
Rifles over handguns and scatterguns by a large margin.

:)

ripp
June 13, 2011, 06:41 PM
I can only carry one longarm, a gun you aint got with you can't help you. I can carry multiple pistols and they do diffeent jobs. For instance, everyone needs a pocket pistol, and might want a belt pistol, or a suppressed .22 for some applications, so handguns it will be. The rifle needs are well handled with an M4 and .22 conversion unit, in my book. If I needed to handle elephant with it, I'd do it like the native poachers do it with their AK's. Fire a short burst into 1 lung, from 10 yds away, and run like hell, or have some elephant proof hiding spot. Wait a day and look for circling buzzards. some of the rds are bound to slip between the ribs. The ruptured lung makes the tusker cough up blood, which he then inhales into the other lung, drowning himself in his own blood.

For lesser sized critters, if I needed to take them, I would just get within bow and arrow range and brain them. Bears are easilly "baited in" with the guts and brains of some other kill, and you can put the bait where you can be safely esconced, 20 or more feet up in a big tree. You just gotta be smarter than the critter, that is all. Naturally, none of this is for anything but a "must do" sort of disaster scenario, as much of it is quite illegal in "normal times". Since sport hunting does not need to be done, I don't care that my 223 is a bit "short ranged, as compared, say, to a 338 Lapua, but hey, the bolt action can't match me for match shooting combat exercises, nor for self defense, nor for varmint shooting, or small game hunting, or back yard plinking (with the .22lr unit)

Cosmoline
June 13, 2011, 06:59 PM
When I started out I had about six or seven handguns and one long gun, an M48 Mauser IIRC. It didn't take long to flip that ratio around. I have only a few handguns, solely for CCW and no other purpose. The long guns cover the range from flintlocks to a new AR-15, with surplus arms shifting in and out of my arsenal.

I can actually hit the target pretty well with a long gun. With short guns, even after years of regular practice, I've only moved my standard target from 10 yards to 20. That's it--ten yards of improvement for off hand double action and that took a LOT of work. I've also missed over and over again when trying for small game with the short gun. Long guns nail them a lot better.

Handguns are much easier to store.

Try full length flintlocks! I've had to go with a coffin-size horizontal lockbox.

If you enjoyed reading about "More handguns or long guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!