How are gun prices at Gun shows? (ie: Northern VA)

PDA

David007
June 11, 2011, 08:08 AM
http://www.thenationsgunshow.com/
July 29, 30 & 31, 2011

I've been looking for a M&P9c for a while now and most of the online sites have been out of stock for a couple of MONTHS. :(

How's the gun prices at this gun show in particular?

If you enjoyed reading about "How are gun prices at Gun shows? (ie: Northern VA)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
627PCFan
June 11, 2011, 08:38 AM
The only thing I have bought there since I moved here was powder and primers.......The selection seems to be overpriced crap the dealers cant move out of their shop. You MIGHT find something so its worth a go, but dont set your sights high-

AlexanderA
June 11, 2011, 08:40 AM
It's large enough so that you can do a lot of shopping around and price comparison. Prices, of course, vary by vendor. I've found that the selection is pretty good.

Go on Friday afternoon for the best selection and on Sunday for the best prices.

If you can't wait until July 29th for the Chantilly show, you might try the (also large) Richmond show at the Mechanicsville Showplace on July 9-10.

Patriotme
June 11, 2011, 08:41 AM
I've never been to a gun show in Northern VA. (try to stay out of Northern VA whenever possible) but if Dark Sun Surplus is there I can almost guarentee that they'll beat everyone else's prices. Trader Jerry does a good job too.
I know that some trash gun shows as nothing but beef jerkey and junk shows but you can generally save $20-$60 on firearms at Va gun shows vs. local gun shops.
I bought a Kahr CW9 several months ago (great gun btw) and the price ran from $420-$480 locally. I got it for $400 at the Richmond show. I picked up a Ruger LCR a few weeks ago and the local dealer's sale price was the average gun show price. You just have to know what you're looking for when you go out there. There's a lot of price variation between the local dealers in my area for some guns.
I will say that Dark Sun Surplus have their own kind of take on customer service but their prices are generally second to none at every show I've been to.

Ala Dan
June 11, 2011, 08:49 AM
Can't speak on prices for No. Virginia gun shows; but here in Birmingham, AL
they are down right ridiculous~! :( :eek: :uhoh:

MAKster
June 11, 2011, 01:22 PM
As has been mentioned, if you are looking for a new handgun Dark Sun and Trader Jerry have the biggest selection and lowest prices. Those two probably account for 25 percent of all sales at the Dulles Show. Their tables are mobbed so don't expect them to answer lots of questions.

TimmyXD
June 11, 2011, 01:37 PM
You can find some good deals at times. Ive been to the Chantilly show last year, I picked up a 12ga semi auto for about $300 new. Not a great deal but not bad at all. As far as everything else you can expect about dealer prices on most guns give or take a little. Accessories are a little different I was able to pick up 3 XD mags for aroun $10 each which is the cheapest ive been able to find them. I owuld just be cautious and if you have anything in mind for what you want look in local gun shops and online at like buds gun shop before you go to ensure you are getting a fair price.

AlexanderA
June 11, 2011, 02:10 PM
Speaking of Trader Jerry, he has a huge operation at the Chantilly show. As has been said, his tables are mobbed, because he has an incredible selection and good prices (mostly handguns). At the last show, I was able to pick up an Uberti Schofield from him for $100 less that what Taylors, a direct importer, was asking (and Taylors hasn't had what I was looking for -- caliber and barrel length -- for at least a year). (BTW, Taylors is also a regular presence at this show, just inside the entrance.)

You have to do your homework beforehand, though. A small vendor was offering new Chinese hammer coach guns for $300, which is a reasonable price. However, I noticed that the stocks had "flats" in the grip area, that weren't supposed to be there. These were definitely "factory seconds" where someone had filed off flaws in the wood.

Big shows like this are also great places to find parts for do-it-yourself builds. These are things that local gun stores just don't carry, and when ordering by mail or over the Internet, you don't get to inspect ahead of time.

As with all gun shows, you have to be prepared to quickly skip over non-germane stuff such as jewelry, beef jerky, etc. I suppose the jewelry keeps some of the wives of the attendees occupied.

Southpaw 02
June 11, 2011, 03:16 PM
Agree with Trader Jerry & Dark Sun. There is another one that comes to Hampton. Rabbit Ridge I think is the name they are usually reasonable.

HammerheadSSN663
June 11, 2011, 08:36 PM
Best do your shopping on the net or Virginia Arms in Manassas.

NGS is a total joke.

ProShooter
June 11, 2011, 10:22 PM
+1 for Trader Jerry & Dark Sun.

RichBMW
June 12, 2011, 09:15 AM
i've been disappointed in the Tampa area gun shows. $5 parking, $8 admission, huge wait to get a background check if you decide to purchase a gun, cash sales only. I went looking for a Ruger LC9...nobody had one except for one dealer and he wanted $100 over the retail price. I find better deals on the internet (and no sales tax.)

wojownik
June 12, 2011, 08:47 PM
+1 on Trader Jerry's. There are a few more smaller tables that usually have a few good deals (JG Elarde, is one). I'm not a big fan of Dark Sun - yes, their prices are often the lowest at the show, but there is just something about their ... attitude.

snatale42
June 13, 2011, 08:35 PM
Last time I went to Nations it was about the same pricing as the ones in Richmond. There's a nationwide shortage of compacts......Unless you want the MA approved model :(

Blue Line
June 14, 2011, 10:31 AM
High prices, mostly black guns, too much reindeer jerky and t-shirts, plus what it costs to get in. there is another bb that deals with VA gun trader dot com that has better prices

rellascout
June 14, 2011, 12:49 PM
Skip the show and find yourself a good transfer dealer. Every show in the NOVA area sucks IMHO. I have been to NGS, Fredericksburg and Richmond. I used to live in Fredericksburg and never found prices to be better than I can get online from Buds, Wild West Guns, AIM, Dan's ammo etc....

If you are close to Fredericksburg I can get you the name of a FFL who will do your transfers for $20. 99% of the time a good transfer dealer is your cheapest option.

W.E.G.
June 14, 2011, 04:39 PM
Trader Jerry always sells ordinary guns at fair prices.

I have never had a problem with Jerry's prices on the common firearms when there wasn't panic-buying going on. Even then, Jerry was one of the last to jack up his prices after the 2008 election.

Dark Sun is a good table to save some money too, but less than half the handgun inventory.

Sounds like that model you are looking for is a limited production item.

mizzlep
June 14, 2011, 09:46 PM
I'm sure there are good prices to be had from some of the vendors, but for what I was looking for the last time I went, I felt the prices were higher than they should have been.

AlexanderA
June 14, 2011, 10:11 PM
For someone building a project gun, like an AR-15, large gun shows are about the only option if you want to hand-pick the parts and compare prices. If you're a nitpicker, like me, mail-ordering the parts will end up costing more, if you factor in the percentage of parts that are unusable. (Even returning mail-order parts is a hassle.) And you can just forget local gun shops as a source for specialized parts.

230therapy
June 14, 2011, 10:14 PM
Sometimes you can get a good deal at the Chantilly show. Look around...take a notepad and do some comparison shopping. Prices can be $100 or more either way.

I usually use it as a venue to handle new guns, look at a few high end 1911's, look at books, and hang out.

wh!plash
June 15, 2011, 11:05 AM
i've been disappointed in the Tampa area gun shows. $5 parking, $8 admission, huge wait to get a background check if you decide to purchase a gun, cash sales only. I went looking for a Ruger LC9...nobody had one except for one dealer and he wanted $100 over the retail price. I find better deals on the internet (and no sales tax.)

Agreed. Our local gunshows are kind of a joke. Most sellers are MSRP + 30% or more, but there can be a couple deals to be had here or there.

Also, if you wait for the gunshow to go to Bradenton (Palmetto), its the same exact group of vendors except no parking charge.

MAKster
June 17, 2011, 12:06 AM
I don't know why people are saying the Dulles Expo show is a joke. I believe it is one of the largest in the eastern U.S. I recently bought a new Glock 19 at the show for $60 less than Virginia Arms Company's price.

ProShooter
June 17, 2011, 02:19 PM
Its a great show and I thoroughly enjoy myself when I'm there.

Then again, I may be biased since my company does the CHP classes for the show. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "How are gun prices at Gun shows? (ie: Northern VA)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!