Draco pistol any good ?

PDA

mopar92
June 11, 2011, 10:56 AM
Are they decently reliable? I want one just to plink with. Also, is the barrel threaded for a Krink style muzzle cone? Thanks!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Draco pistol any good ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SpentCasing
June 11, 2011, 11:37 AM
it will work just fine for your needs. as a bonus it makes a superior SBR candidate if you ever feel the want.

mopar92
June 11, 2011, 11:40 AM
But it does NOT need a an NFA stamp correct? I guess it's considered a pistol ?

ShroomFish
June 11, 2011, 11:45 AM
Only a $200 stamp if you put a stock on it.;)

mopar92
June 11, 2011, 12:39 PM
They are pretty rugged and reliable ? I've seen some failures around the breach area...

W.E.G.
June 11, 2011, 12:42 PM
current multi-page thread
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=594234&highlight=Draco

Sam1911
June 11, 2011, 12:43 PM
I've seen some failures around the breach area...

It's an AK. That's kind of the definition of "reliable." Never heard of failurse around the breach area. You'll have to be specific.

The Dracos are well-made. The biggest complaint is that they just are hard to put into a useful niche, aside from "fun gun."

The most reasonable purpose for one does seem to be as a high-quality starting point for an SBR build, but obviously many more are sold just for blasting.

Sam1911
June 11, 2011, 12:50 PM
The muzzle will be threaded 14x1 left-hand, like other AKMs.

If you want to add an AKS-74U style suppressor, those are 24x1.5 left hand threaded, so you'll need an adaptor.

They're also designed for the 5.45mm cartridge, not the 7.62.

There are lots of look-alike muzzle devices made which may or may not meet your needs. Here are a few: http://www.parts4ak47.com/ak-47_accessories/category/AK-47_Flash_Compressor.html

JTH
June 11, 2011, 12:56 PM
Are not they designed for for 7.62x39 ammo. I've wanted one for a while and everything I've read, this is the ammo they made to use and will accept high capacity AK magazines. Haven't been around for a while and forgot my p/w, so I reregisterd using another of my email addys.
JT

Sam1911
June 11, 2011, 01:07 PM
Are not they designed for for 7.62x39 ammo. I've wanted one for a while and everything I've read, this is the ammo they made to use and will accept high capacity AK magazines. Yes. They are a normal AKM with a few slight changes.

wally
June 11, 2011, 02:33 PM
Also, is the barrel threaded for a Krink style muzzle cone?

Most of them have a spot welded muzzle nut on them. Its easy to remove if you are careful about the 922R aspects of doing so.

Cope's sells a US made Krinkov style brake for ~$10 that really works. Without it, shooting off sandbags the pistol jumps like a 6" 44 Magnum with full house loads, but with the brake recoil is straight back, with the forend barely coming off the bag.

I've since paid the $200 tax and made mine into an SBR -- its my favorite AK.

I believe the 5.56 version is called the "Champion" while the Draco-C is the 7.62x39 version.

mopar92
June 11, 2011, 05:46 PM
These look like a lot of fun for plinking, yet, I can SBR it later on... They are cheap too. I'm shopping now to find the cheapest place...

SpentCasing
June 11, 2011, 06:03 PM
check out http://classicarms.us for a cheap Draco.
About halfway down the page.
$349

NMGonzo
June 11, 2011, 06:38 PM
I want one to carry on the bikes.

Quiet
June 11, 2011, 07:32 PM
Fed 922r only applies to imported semi-auto rifles and imported shotguns.
Since the Draco is an imported semi-auto pistol, Fed 922r does ont apply to it.

I like my Draco. It's a fun plinker and, since it can be made CA legal, it makes anti-gun liberals cry & go into a kniption when I use it in CA. :evil:
It's my "trunk gun" when I drive between CA & NV & AZ.

My Draco is normally set up with an AK74 style muzzle brake, Midwest Industries rail, Hogue AK pistol grip, VM1 sling plate and Primary Arms MicroDot.

Pic of my Draco set up in it's CA legal form (with maglock & 10 round magazine).
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_I88A6C5UfDU/SzGdCypUbRI/AAAAAAAADXg/ptZNlCvaKak/s640/CIMG1501.JPG

Sam1911
June 11, 2011, 08:23 PM
Fed 922r only applies to imported semi-auto rifles and imported shotguns.
Since the Draco is an imported semi-auto pistol, Fed 922r does ont apply to it.

Just to throw a monkey wrench into that very true statement: ...922(r) does not apply to it UNTIL you spend your $200 and SBR it.

Used to be the BATFE allowed it to be assumed that a Title II registered evil short-barreled rifle was exempt from having to meet any further sporting requirements, but in the last few years that has been changed. At this point you are supposed to make your new SBR 922(r) compliant ... for whatever reason. :confused:

mopar92
June 11, 2011, 09:27 PM
I certainly comply, but who has ever been checked for 922R???

Sam1911
June 11, 2011, 09:44 PM
Ahhh, the eternal question. Still, sounds like for your purposes it won't matter anyway.

the count
June 12, 2011, 10:55 AM
I certainly comply, but who has ever been checked for 922R???
If they want to get you for something else the 922 will come in handy for the feds. Remember, Al Capone was put away for tax evasion, not the dozens of other crimes he committed.

atblis
June 12, 2011, 11:06 AM
They are totally worth the asking price. I can't think of much that you can buy for $350 that would be more amusing. Ammo's relatively cheap too.

ifit
June 13, 2011, 03:33 AM
fun little pistol, goin on 250+ rounds without any failures, other than the small screw holding the hg in place, always need to check after every magazine shot. and pretty accurate for a short barrel
short video clip
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/kadiindo/mini%20draco/th_112.jpg (http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/kadiindo/mini%20draco/?action=view&current=112.mp4)

rogertc1
June 13, 2011, 07:36 AM
Century Arms had a recall on older models (This recall relates to the Draco firing more than one round per trigger pull. ):

http://www.centuryarms.com/notice/Draco%20Warning%20Notice%20Century%20Arms.pdf

They also have on out now with a 7" barrel

wally
June 13, 2011, 10:36 AM
Pic of my Draco set up in it's CA legal form (with maglock & 10 round magazine).

Just curious, how do you load the thing?

mopar92
June 14, 2011, 02:35 PM
You load it, put it in place, lock it, unlock, reload, lock, etc. California is a very stupid state.... Bad guys simply won't use the lock!

JustinJ
June 14, 2011, 04:01 PM
No pracital use unless SBRed. Then they rock. Magazine well on mine and many others was way too tight but some file work fixed that.

Quiet
June 14, 2011, 09:57 PM
Just curious, how do you load the thing?

1. Insert loaded magazine.
2. Shoot 10 rounds.
3. Use a tool (bullet, screwdriver, cleaning rod, etc.) to remove the unloaded magazine.
4. Repeat steps 1-3.

The bullet button magazine lock automatically locks a magazine in place once a magazine is inserted into the firearm's magazine well.

The magazine is released from the firearm, by inserting a tool (bullet, screwdriver, stick, etc.) into the magazine lock and activating the firearm's magazine release.

Recently the CA DOJ admitted in Federal court that the bullet button magazine lock is a legal device, when properly utilized in conjunction with a 10 round or less magazines.

The Calguns Foundation and Second Amendment Foundation also recently filed a lawsuit challenging the CA assault weapons laws.

wally
June 14, 2011, 11:39 PM
3. Use a tool (bullet, screwdriver, cleaning rod, etc.) to remove the unloaded magazine.

So nobody's yet made a thimble with a nub on it activate the lock? Or built one into a shooting glove? :evil:

Quiet
June 15, 2011, 12:03 AM
So nobody's yet made a thimble with a nub on it activate the lock? Or built one into a shooting glove? :evil:
People have made things like that. :evil:
It's what some people use while running 3-gun competitions in CA.

If you enjoyed reading about "Draco pistol any good ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!