Cleaning Polymer Frame

PDA

tc300mag1
January 16, 2004, 04:58 PM
What do you guys use to spray them out with gunscrbber and brakeclean says can harms some plastics..

My Hk is getting soem crud built up in frame where i cant get at it

So if this was asked b4 but i couldnt find a good answer

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning Polymer Frame" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tropical Z
January 17, 2004, 12:11 PM
Use Hoppes #9 as its completely safe for polymer guns according to Hoppes.DO NOT use brake cleaner on any polymer gun parts or you might be sorry.You could soak it in Hoppes if you need to.

sm
January 17, 2004, 12:16 PM
Toothbrush with lighter fluid, mineral spirits have worked on Keltec, Glock, Ruger...no experience on HK.

Toothbrush with soap ( Ivory dishwashing) or Simple Green works as well.

repsychler
January 17, 2004, 12:45 PM
Anyone ever tried the Poly Dunk-Kit? Anone know what its formulated from?

gabeodog
January 17, 2004, 09:50 PM
Hoppes works great. I also use gun scrub with no prob.
Those and a tooth brush works great.

williegee
January 17, 2004, 11:46 PM
I use Gunscrubber on my Glock 19 with no problems.

dsk
January 18, 2004, 12:11 AM
I use brake cleaner all the time as well on my Glock 19 and Kahr P9, but I choose the brands that say they contain trichloretane as they're most like Gun Scrubber. The price they charge for Gun Scrubber is just plain criminal!

Since I can't vouch for the actual ingredients used in the brands available to you, always test first on a sacrificial offering, like the plastic cleaning rod that comes with your Glock or a spare magazine. If it doesn't soften or discolor the plastic then you're fine. If you're still worried just buy the Gun Scrubber, as it should be safe on all gun plastics except those cheesy clear plastic 10/22 mags. Those will melt very easily. Betcha probably wonder how I know, too. :banghead:

danbh
January 18, 2004, 05:54 AM
I have tried a numver of cleansers over the past few years, most of which my wife disliked, she cleans her own pistols. I finally was introduced to a cleaner and lubricator by the name of BALLISTOL it's non-toxic, no carcinogens, and is approved by the USDA for use in the food industry.

I local gun dealer told be about it and he uses is himself on everything..
It's also water solulable..

www.ballistol.com
:D

WalkerTexasRanger
January 18, 2004, 10:47 AM
I have wiped down my polymer guns with Kroil in the past. Cleans well and has been no problem.

Werewolf
January 18, 2004, 03:54 PM
Hot water with some dishwashing liquid. Dunk the whole thing in and let soak for a few minutes. Then swish around vigorously. Let soak a few more minutes then swish around vigorously.

Rinse with hot water thoroughly. Shake to get all loose water out and use a blow dryer on low heat or no heat to finish up.

Works great - don't have to worry about harsh chemicals harming the plastic and the metals won't rust as long as you dry the thing and don't let it sit wet and best of all you don't have to take anything apart.

The detergent does a good job of removing all the powder residue in areas you can't get at as well as any lube so make sure you relube when done.

My Glock frame gets this treatment about once a year.

T.Stahl
January 18, 2004, 04:07 PM
When my Glock needs and gets a thorough cleaning about once a year, I remove all the grip's innards and clean it using an old toothbrush and shower gel or another kind of soap. Afterwards it's not only clean, it also smells good. ;)

10-Ring
January 18, 2004, 05:18 PM
The best I've ever done to clean my USPs has been to use a good solvent, lots of patches, some q-tips & lots of patience!

cratz2
January 19, 2004, 01:49 AM
FP10 and a tooth brush.

On my Kahr, KelTec and Glock, I usually just clean the rails and run the cleaning rag through the mag/grip once.

tc300mag1
January 19, 2004, 01:59 AM
Thx for all the tips. I did use the brake cleaner on a hard to get spot didnt harm it but as soon as i was done i dried it off and reoiled amazing how much curd came out with only 1175 rounds though it.

The mag release is now smoother than it was from the factory.

Also what all is everyone using to clean the mag well im using a brush /cleaning rag. i swear i say a spiecal brush to clean the mag well but cant find it i got big hands and fingers os it hard to get them up into the mag well.

FireInTheHole
January 19, 2004, 10:44 AM
I use cheap $2 walmart brake cleaner(AKA spray acetone) on my glock and beretta after scrubbing with hoppes #9 of course.

Always test a small portion of the plastic before using a powerful solvent. Some aftermarket grips will slag.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning Polymer Frame" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!