Ati fx GI .45

PDA

marine 97-03
June 12, 2011, 08:13 PM
Thinking about a ati gi 4.25 in. Barrel 8rnd any thoughts on this .45......good bad or ugly ......thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ati fx GI .45" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Skylerbone
June 12, 2011, 10:12 PM
The three I've seen all looked nice on the outside but that's not what really counts. They're made by one of the PI's best known manufacturers but there are other 1911s in the same price range of similar origin which many are happy with (RIA, Citadel). I was mildly interested in the ATI GSG 1911 (.22lr) and sought them out at the last gun show. The GSG was not nearly as impressive as the FX series. Still, with the inexpensive 1911 market demonstrating both growth and quality improvement it's anyone's call as to which one to buy.

Initial impression: very good and definitely not ugly.

gbelleh
June 12, 2011, 10:30 PM
I bought one a couple months ago, and I love it. It's been 100% reliable so far. The only thing I had to do to it was adjust the extractor tension, which was too loose out of the box.

It has excellent slide to frame fit, and it seems very solidly built. Not to mention, it looks good. I've been very impressed with it.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a361/gbelleh/ati_1.jpg

marine 97-03
June 13, 2011, 01:03 AM
How is the factory mags....looks great by the way ....did u have any ftf fte when u first got it?:what:

gbelleh
June 13, 2011, 01:30 AM
I can't comment on the factory mag, because I've never used it. I prefer 7 round flush mags, and use USGI magazines.
Never had a malfunction, but out of the box, the extractor tension caused the cases to fly straight into my face. Once adjusted, it ejected normally. The trigger is nice, and it really shoots great.

I did swap the grips with some old GI grips I had. The original grips are kind of fat and ugly, IMO. But for a $379 commander 1911 it's hard to beat.

newbuckeye
June 13, 2011, 04:56 AM
I have one too. After about 500 rounds, the only thing it wont feed is SJHP. I shoulda known better tho....

marine 97-03
June 13, 2011, 11:24 AM
The one I looked at at the gun shop felt. Very solid.

marine 97-03
June 13, 2011, 02:40 PM
Any thoughts on a 1911 holster I live in alabama an open carry state so hiding the gun is no big deal

Skylerbone
June 13, 2011, 02:59 PM
Pick something comfortable for sure and make sure it agrees with the weather down there (protected from sweat). Ordering a CrossBreed for concealment but I prefer being the only one who knows it's with me.

dusty14u
June 13, 2011, 03:20 PM
I have one of the early ones. The serial number is in the 300's. I have approx 700 rds through it and it seems to get better the more I shoot. I had some FTF's the first time and then I had to detail strip it because it looked like it had been stored in an oil barrel. Once I had the excess oil out it has been faultless. I have taken to carrying the ATI instead of the Kimber. The finish wears a little quickly but it isn't too bad.

The mag the gun came with has been excellent. All my other mags are Chip McCormicks and they all work well. My Kimber mag gives it no issues either. I think the ATI's provide alot of bang for the buck. I would highly recommend them. I am looking for an ATI Titan now. The trigger is good, the fit is good and the inside looks like it was deburred and cleaned well before parkerizing. Very little tool marks and no rough edges.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa119/dusty14u/shooter/0919102000a.jpg

rondog
June 13, 2011, 03:26 PM
Although made in The Phillipines, I believe S.A.M. is a different company than Armscor, who makes the RIA line and several others. But otherwise, that's all the info I have. I love my three RIA's, I'm just saying I believe there's at least two different 1911 makers in the PI. But, I don't know, never been there. They could be in the same factory for all I know.

marine 97-03
June 13, 2011, 03:41 PM
I was looking at a ria. But the. Ati. Has taken the lead

marine 97-03
June 13, 2011, 04:03 PM
Anyone used the galco holsters ?

marine 97-03
June 14, 2011, 08:48 AM
Having never owned a 1911 are they sensitive to hollow points jamming ext.

RightCoastBiased
June 14, 2011, 09:01 AM
Would any of you trust your life to an ATI? As in carrying one as an armored car driver or any other, non-police, armed capacity?

How about the same question for those that like their Rock Islands? I am not asking to make a point, I am asking because I may well consider one for such a purpose.

Bullzeye308
June 14, 2011, 03:09 PM
Would any of you trust your life to an ATI? As in carrying one as an armored car driver or any other, non-police, armed capacity?

How about the same question for those that like their Rock Islands? I am not asking to make a point, I am asking because I may well consider one for such a purpose.
For an entry level 1911 the ATI FX line is a great way to go. I have extensive experience with all of the ATI products.
That being said
1. Get a number of rounds through it and get any possible bugs worked out (there is a reason these guns are less than half of other 1911s) and shooting is enjoyable/necessary.
2. If you intend to carry it I would suggest (like with any handgun) having your gunsmith inspect it.
3. Just for piece of mind I would personally change out all the soft parts with Wilson parts (or the like) and always lube and clean with Slip2000.

marine 97-03
June 14, 2011, 05:31 PM
I've done a lot of research on ati and keep hearing great things. About there relibility fit and finish are solid I would trust a ati fx series as a carry weapon .

marine 97-03
June 15, 2011, 05:17 AM
185gr or 230gr.????

Skylerbone
June 15, 2011, 09:21 AM
200 or 230gr. My father uses a Galco Fletch for belt carry, he always used Bianchi for duty carry (.357 and 9mm).

There are probably more 1911 manufacturers in the PI than in the states, most are fairly small. Armscor and SAM are two of the big names and both produce a solid 1911. No need to replace internals for the sake of it and plenty of people carry a Rock for SD. Not sure ATI has been here long enough to see a lot of SD or professional use.

Skylerbone
June 15, 2011, 09:26 AM
Galco did make the rig Don Johnson wore on Miami Vice. They were originally known as The Original Jackass Holster Company and used horse hide for their holsters as it outlasts cow hide. Good stuff, almost forgot I have a tuckable of theirs for my M&P.

marine 97-03
June 15, 2011, 11:05 AM
I really like the way they look...I'm gona try to get one

GZOh
June 15, 2011, 11:41 AM
Bought the GI a couple months ago... several hundred rounds thru, FLAWLESS!!
IMHO it's an excellent, very well made 1911... and for $400, a STEAL!!!
Loved it so much, bought the full-size MILITARY... again a FLAWLESS shoot!
Regarding ammo, shoots everything but did have some feed issues initially with some JHP brands...
Went to the CHIP McCORMICK Power Mags.. FEEDS EVERYTHING!!
Highly recommend the ATI 1911s... very well made and a great value!

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq112/geezeepix/ATIs.jpg

marine 97-03
June 15, 2011, 10:22 PM
Those are sweet

GZOh
June 16, 2011, 06:22 AM
Again, for $400, these 1911 pistolas are VERY WELL MADE!!!...
Frame-fit on these babies is excellent and can match that of alot of 1911s twice the price.

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq112/geezeepix/ATIs-1.jpg

Effigy
June 16, 2011, 01:57 PM
It almost looks like the gun on the left in that picture (which I assume is the GI model) is a little thinner. Is that true or just a trick of the camera?

marine 97-03
June 16, 2011, 05:22 PM
I think the GI. Is on the right.look at the beaver tail and hammer ...also compare the slide release

rondog
June 16, 2011, 07:55 PM
I think the GI. Is on the right.look at the beaver tail and hammer ...also compare the slide release

GI model is on the left, nice to see they have a "correct" M1911A1 style thumb safety, the RIA GI's don't. Slides will be exactly the same thickness, it's a trick played by the camera and the angles of the guns.

marine 97-03
June 16, 2011, 11:13 PM
:-)

gbelleh
June 16, 2011, 11:49 PM
In this case, Marine 97-03 is right, the ATI commander model is called the "GI" and the 5" is called the "Military". In any case, yes the slide widths should be identical.

Wishoot
June 17, 2011, 07:17 AM
Great.

Now I want yet another gun I can't afford.

GZOh
June 17, 2011, 08:35 AM
The GI (4.25") is on the RIGHT... Military (5") on LEFT.
Both guns are the SAME thickness... probably pic-angle distortion.

Effigy
June 17, 2011, 12:45 PM
Not quite sure why they went with that naming scheme... The one on the left looks like an A1 model, which would logically be called the "GI".

Strahley
June 17, 2011, 02:24 PM
It's not a 5" so it looks ugly to me :)

gbelleh
June 17, 2011, 03:58 PM
It's not a 5" so it looks ugly to me :)

I've always preferred the look of commander length 1911s. The 5" slides look disproportionately long to me. But I still like the 5 inchers too.

marine 97-03
June 17, 2011, 09:52 PM
I like the 4.25 ati.gi

marine 97-03
June 19, 2011, 11:11 PM
anyone had trouble with the "gi" shooting low??????

gbelleh
June 20, 2011, 01:46 AM
Did you watch the Hickok45 video on YouTube? He's the only person I've heard of so far with a sight issue. My sights are right on.

marine 97-03
June 20, 2011, 02:00 AM
Yeah that's whys I was wondering ...

marine 97-03
June 20, 2011, 02:04 AM
Do u use mec gar gi mags chip macormick. Or any particular brand

gbelleh
June 20, 2011, 11:34 AM
I just use USGI surplus magazines. They work great.

rondog
June 20, 2011, 01:21 PM
My bad, not familiar with the ATI line, I was assuming them to be named the same way RIA does.

Kerf
June 20, 2011, 09:44 PM
Had me going there for awhile... STI / ATI. I was wondering what's the world coming to?

marine 97-03
June 21, 2011, 11:23 PM
Lol. :-)

marine 97-03
July 5, 2011, 05:29 AM
Thinking about getting some chip mccormik 10rd mags

GZOh
July 5, 2011, 06:46 AM
Have several 1911s... the Chip McCormick POWER MAGS feed every kind of ammo... use them in ALL my 11s... highly recommend!

marine 97-03
July 8, 2011, 08:53 AM
Have y'all seen the alpha and falcon models 1911 from shooter arms....wow..15+1 and 13+1

harmon rabb
July 8, 2011, 09:00 AM

I would absolutely trust my life to my RIA. Plenty of rounds through it, never even a hint of a malfunction.

marine 97-03
July 10, 2011, 02:39 PM
There both great guns shooter arms has an alpha model 15-1that I like

zdc1775
July 15, 2011, 12:40 AM
I picked up an ATI GI yesterday after going to buy a Springfield GI. The fit was much better on the ATI and I liked the black finish over od. I will say clean thoroughly as it seemed to be packed in oil. And I noticed that when fully loaded the magazine allowed the first round to have about 3/16" play at the bullet end and would not chamber hydroshocks unless you took two rounds out first, no problem with fmjs though. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but will post some range results when I can get the time to go to the range. Also going to be ordering either a comp-tac or crossbreed holster once I make up my mind. Until then I just picked up a cheap uncle mikes IWB (not recomended).

BTW I bought it in Huntsville AL for $399

stevekozak
July 15, 2011, 11:54 PM
Got mine in from Buds today. Haven't shot it yet, but am a little concerned on the front end. The fit seems almost too tight. When I disassembled it (I have 2 other 1911's and know how to disassemble, before that thought gets started) the barrel bushing would not come out. I finally had to bang it out with a plastic bushing wrench. It was really in there. It reeally does have a lot of oil and preservative on it. I put it back together and tried to load snap caps to test the trigger. No go, would not feed the snapcaps to save it's life. Hand cycled some FMJs through. Some hang ups. The longer I went at it, the better they seemed to cylcle though. Maybe it just needs a bit of a break in. I am going to give it a through cleaning and lubing (FP-10) in the morning and take it to the range for a session. I am hopeful that it will prove a good shooter. I do like the size of the pistol. My other 1911s are full-sized. I am going to replace the stock recoil spring. It seems weak as hell. Maybe a 18 pound Wolff. I will post a range report when I get back from wringing it out.

matty-vb
August 28, 2011, 10:04 PM
can anyone with extensive GI 1911 knowledge tell me any big cosmetic differences between this and the original GI commanders? details like the checkering on the mag releases, etc. obviously the rollmarks will differ, but I'm wondering if by changing a few parts and grip panels etc, if I can get close to an original commander just for rounding out my collection and whatnot. can't afford a colt with a new infant!

Grumpyoldman
October 22, 2011, 08:40 PM
Here is my range report on my new ATI Commander.
The first time to the range I put 200 rnds of mixed hardball, lead SWC and hollowpoints through it. No jams and got avg. 3" groups at 20yds from a sandbag rest. Groups were about 5" high. Trigger pull 5.5 lbs.
I installed an Ed Brown drop in bushing and a set of Wolf standard Commander springs in it. I also completely dissassembled it and polished all bearing surfaces except the sear with jeweler's rouge and felt wheels on my dremel tool.
Next trip to the range was at 25yds from a sandbag rest. My handloads of 205 gr. LSWC grouped at 1 5/8 in. for a 5 shot group. The group was 3" high.
Trigger pull was down to 4.25 lbs. Shot another 200 rnds with no jams.
My total investment in the ATI is about $440.00. I am extremely impressed with this pistol and will buy a full sized one in the future.

stevekozak
October 25, 2011, 07:52 AM
Here is my range report on my new ATI Commander.
The first time to the range I put 200 rnds of mixed hardball, lead SWC and hollowpoints through it. No jams and got avg. 3" groups at 20yds from a sandbag rest. Groups were about 5" high. Trigger pull 5.5 lbs.
I installed an Ed Brown drop in bushing and a set of Wolf standard Commander springs in it. I also completely dissassembled it and polished all bearing surfaces except the sear with jeweler's rouge and felt wheels on my dremel tool.
Next trip to the range was at 25yds from a sandbag rest. My handloads of 205 gr. LSWC grouped at 1 5/8 in. for a 5 shot group. The group was 3" high.
Trigger pull was down to 4.25 lbs. Shot another 200 rnds with no jams.
My total investment in the ATI is about $440.00. I am extremely impressed with this pistol and will buy a full sized one in the future.
Glad your commander is working out! I am liking mine as well. Changed the grips out and put new Wolff springs in it and have not had a single problem with its functioning. Mine too seems to shoot a bit high.

bikerdoc
November 4, 2011, 05:37 PM
I got the 5 inch military on order. Im impresseted by the feel and fit and finish. Will it compare to my other 1911"s ? We will see in about 2 weeks. Range report to follow.

KAS1981
November 4, 2011, 06:08 PM
I looked at a new 5" ATI 1911 at a pawn shop the other day. The action was very smooth and it at least appeared to be well made. This particular pistol came with two ACT-MAG magazines, which I think are what RIA's come with?

Anyway, the thing that really stood out to me is that the gun felt excessively heavy for a 1911. Anybody else notice this?

stevekozak
November 5, 2011, 08:11 AM
I looked at a new 5" ATI 1911 at a pawn shop the other day. The action was very smooth and it at least appeared to be well made. This particular pistol came with two ACT-MAG magazines, which I think are what RIA's come with?

Anyway, the thing that really stood out to me is that the gun felt excessively heavy for a 1911. Anybody else notice this?
Mine doesn't seem any heavier than my other 1911's. The fit on it is tight. I am thinking it will be around for awhile.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ati fx GI .45" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!