Kel-tec PF-9s

PDA

Hondo 60
June 13, 2011, 09:07 PM
Within a couple of weeks we will finally have concealed carry in WI! Woo-hooo!

I've been looking at the PF-9s for a while.
Seems strange that some people love 'em, & some people hate 'em.

I would very much appreciate the input of those of you who have or had them.

If you could include approximately when you bought it, it would help to see if there's a pattern.

thanks!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Kel-tec PF-9s" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gbelleh
June 13, 2011, 09:30 PM
I have an early PF-9 that I carried a lot over a 3 year period. I put over 1,000 rounds through it and quite a lot of +p for practice.

It was 100% reliable until a few weeks ago when the ejector snapped in half while shooting. It's at KT getting fixed right now. I like the gun a lot, and it's great for CCW, but I did recently replace it with a Kahr PM9, which seems to be more solidly built. I'm not sure if I'll put the PF-9 back in the rotation or not.

rbernie
June 13, 2011, 09:31 PM
I have bought several within the last year, both for myself and for others. I have put at least 400rds through each, and one (my BUG) has seen far more. All have been 100% reliable, relatively easy to shoot, and more than accurate enough. They are not as solidly finished as my wife's Kahr, but they are thinner and quite serviceable. They are not as easy to shoot as a larger service semiauto, but their small size fits in many carry routines that would stymie a larger pistol.

MedWheeler
June 13, 2011, 09:49 PM
I have about 300 rounds of both FMJ ammo and Remington UMC 115-grain JHP (my carry ammo) through mine, which was acquired in April of 2010. (The only reason I haven't put more rounds through it is because I have a bad habit of taking too many guns to the range each time.) I have had no malfunctions. The gun is not an "extended-session" range piece; its thin profile and low weight make the recoil noticeably snappy. That being said, those qualities make this an excellent choice for all-day, every-day carry, and one can easily learn to handle it well. It's certainly manageable, and easy to keep on target at typical defense distances. Mine is on me pretty much any time I am dressed. I'd endorse it as a good choice.

lathedog
June 13, 2011, 11:19 PM
Mine works great. I purchased it new a few years ago and have put about 300 rounds thru it without a single malfunction.

It is a bit hard to control one handed, and is really hard to manage with my off hand only. That is the trade off for the great light weight and small size.

TomKat
June 13, 2011, 11:50 PM
bought mine early this year for everyday concealed carry. I've put just over 300 rounds through it flawlessly. Accurate at SD distances. Can't give it enough praise... nor can my pocketbook. That said, if I was ever in a shooting and I had to give it to the police afterwards and through the potential trial process (which could last years), I wouldn't be too sore about it financially... I'd just pickup another one in the mean time. :)

June 14, 2011, 12:09 AM
Gave my SIL one for a wedding present(his request). He has put hundreds through it w/o any problems. They go to the ranges around Phoenix regularly. She shoots a 38 S&W shrouded snubbie that was her graduation present from college.

JustinJ
June 14, 2011, 08:59 AM
I have one but bought a Ruger LC9 bc i was tired of the Keltek jamming with certain ammo. I'd do a search for the most info as this gun has been discussed many times.

451 Detonics
June 14, 2011, 11:03 AM
Mine has about 3000 rounds through it, mostly my reloads with a few hundred Cor Bon DPX shot when it was ammo rotation time. My reloads use a 125 JHP .357 diameter bullet by the way...a gun that will feed it will feed anything. I also spent quite a few hours dry firing mine (with a snap cap) and the results are a trigger that feels like a tuned K-Frame, albeit slightly longer. I cannot recall a single malfunction with this gun when shooting 9mm and only a couple with the conversion that happened in the first couple of mags...since then it has been flawless through 700 rounds.

I also added a 22 conversion this year. About 1200 rounds in 22 instead of 9mm shot in practice will pay for the conversion. The conversion works very well and accuracy is great out of mine...and it is just a lot of fun to shoot.

My PF-9 has a R2BXX serial number which should place it at 8/07 production.

conversion kit...
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z271/reloader1959/handguns/pf224.jpg

Mudinyeri
June 14, 2011, 11:58 AM
I had a PF9 for a while. I put somewhere in the vicinity of 750 rounds through it. No problems at all. Once the Kahr PM9 came out and I shot it ... the PF9 went on the chopping block.

If your gun budget is absolutely in the PF9 range, they're not a "bad" gun. If you have a little wiggle room in your budget, consider the Kahr PM9 or CM9.

Effigy
June 14, 2011, 01:01 PM
I'm from WI as well. :) Our time is finally coming.

I've put about 300 rounds through mine. It was flawless for the first ~220 rounds, but had a few hiccups at the last range trip, mostly due to the takedown pin coming loose during firing. I asked on KTOG.org and they pointed out that this can happen if there's a metal flashing on the end of the pin, so I filed that off and am waiting until next trip to see if the issue is resolved.

I also switched to grease lubrication last trip after using oil for previous sessions, so it's possible that was a factor as well. I'm going to try just oil next time and see if performance changes.

Overall I'm very happy with the gun. The form factor is about the best you could hope for in a 9mm CCW gun. Keep in mind that Kel Tec is able to put out these great guns at a low price by skimping a bit on fit/finish. I don't mind that because the PF-9 is a tool, not a safe queen. Expect to spend a little time touching up your PF-9 by shaving flashing and rough edges off the frame and trigger. Many people choose to do a fluff & buff treatment to speed break-in or improve reliability, but I haven't felt the need to do that so far. By all accounts Kel Tec has some of the best customer service in the industry; if your pistol has any issues, they'll get you squared away no problem.

Another interesting fact about the PF-9 is that only the internal (aluminum) frame is considered the actual gun for FFL reasons. You can easily order a differently finished slide, another color of polymer frame, and other parts online without the trouble of shipping through FFL. I ordered a belt clip that attaches to the side of the gun to allow IWB carry without a separate holster (and also replaces the plastic frame pins with steel). I'm liking it so far, although obviously I haven't had opportunity to EDC it yet.

TimeIsRunninOut
June 14, 2011, 05:50 PM
Bought one this April for myself, just over 100 rounds through it with no problems. The ammo was mixed bag of ten year old stuff....dirty. From what I have seen and this being my second KT, I am very pleased with it. I prefer the pararized finish over the blued if offered.

WC145
June 14, 2011, 05:55 PM
I had a couple of them for BUG/off duty carry until one winter I discovered just how small the trigger guard is when I couldn't get my gloved finger inside. Something to think about living in Wisconsin.

BP Hunter
June 14, 2011, 06:01 PM
About a few years ago, I bought a PF9 for my CCW. I was also a new handgunner too. I had to sell it since my little experience did not agree with the high recoil of a small handgun. It HURT to shoot it. I sold it for a bigger gun. 3 years after and with more experience, I decided to buy a PF9. I am very happy with it and I trust if with my life.

NMGonzo
June 14, 2011, 06:28 PM
I like bersas better.

Look at a Makarov before making a decision.

Effigy
June 14, 2011, 07:13 PM
WC145 makes a good point. The trigger guard and small and the trigger is quite far forward when it's fully reset. It can be hard to pull with a gloved finger. Not that I'd let this dissuade me from using one, but it's something to keep in mind living in a northern state. I'm looking into getting a larger gun for winter carry and using the PF-9 for warm weather.

psyshack
June 14, 2011, 09:18 PM
I like mine a lot and carry it daily. I have shot the snot out of mine. I've got close to 7k rounds through mine in a 1.5 years. The only issue I had was I cracked the slide at the slide hold back notch. KT replaced it after I let them know just how much I had shot it. Retail and reloads. Most reloads +P or +P+.

History:

Bought 3-10-10, Born the week of 2-10-10. Blue on Black

Around the 1k round mark the firing pin/extractor screw came loose. A clean up and LT Blue fixed that. A quick call to KT and they sent me a new firing pin, spring and screw and a updated mag release and spring. Very nice of them.

I then did a fluff and buff on it and completely polished the barrel and put a quick lap on the bore. During that time I also cleaned up the third world machine marks on the slide and experimented on slide finishes. Caliper paint, cold blues and such. Had made my mind up that I would rust blue it and move on.

Then around the 5k round mark as I was breaking it down to do the rust blue on the slide I found the very small slide crack at the slide hold notch. Called KT, stripped down the slide and sent it in to them. 5 weeks later I got a new slide back. Also there was a new guide rod and spring set along with a even newer Mag release and spring along with 2ea. new style mag followers.

The pistol is running great on the new slide and part updates with near 7k rounds.

My very high round count is due to me really liking the pistol. Many have complained about issue's with different ammo. I spent a small fourtune on retail ammo truing to mimic others complaint's. Couldn't do it.

Some problems folks have had with there PF-9's. Ammo sensitive. Poor fit and finish. Blued slides have been known to rust. Firing pin/extractor screw can come loose. Firing pin channel filled with production crude NIB. Some have also had issue's with firing pin channel drilled of center, with a rare one being off center and off axis. Some have had mag drop issues. Thus the updated mag release buttons. There have been a spattering of issue's concerning the take down pin and frame to grip pins walking around.

Mine has never had a mag drop issue at all. And did come with the 1st version metal mag release.

Here you will find a series of videos I did on my PF-9 with some insight into fixing a few issues concerning the PF-9.
http://www.youtube.com/user/psyshack1?feature=mhsn#p/u/7/beE1uENqU5Q

Liberty1776
June 14, 2011, 09:19 PM
Wisconsin guys - congrats! I'm originally from WI, and know it's been a long, hard battle for you.

MachIVshooter
June 15, 2011, 01:18 AM
I like bersas better.

Look at a Makarov before making a decision.

Twice the weight, half the power. While they're decent guns, they're not even in the same league as the PF-9.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kel-tec PF-9s" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!