Custom Mosin Nagant

PDA

TheGent
June 13, 2011, 10:45 PM
I recently got into the Mosin Nagant Fan Club because a local gun store was selling the for $89. So I thought what the hell. I bought two. One to keep fresh and one to customize. I didn't know what I wanted to do to the one I bought for customizing. But, I knew that I wanted to keep it somewhat true to the nature of the gun (No cut stocks, barrel, butchering). I started doing a little research on the time period and this is what I came up with:

This is a pic of the custom Nagant next to a stock version. Well I refinished the stock on the standard Nagant (Above) with a color stain more to my liking and rubbed it with tongue oil for ten days. That's a lot of rubbin', but it turned out great. On the bottom is the custom. The camo stock is loosely based on the Dazzle Camo of WWI and Early WWII that was painted on ships to confuse enemies of the size, direction the ship was moving, etc. I don't believe Russians used Dazzle Camo on their ships. I didn't dig that deep.
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee179/aclaired/DSCF1431.jpg

Close up of Dazzle Camo. I know Dazzle Camo was not intended for ground fighting, but long distance. I just thought it looked impressive and this was a fun gun to customize.
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee179/aclaired/DSCF1432.jpg

Next I put on some camo burlap. I've seen a few pictures of Russian Snipers wrapping the rifles in regular burlap. I could turn my burlap over to the non-camo side and have it look more traditional too.

The next step will be a scope mount and scope which will also be wrapped in the burlap. What do you think? At least Bubba didn't get a hold of it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Custom Mosin Nagant" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
12guagecody
June 13, 2011, 11:51 PM
I like it man!

caribou
June 14, 2011, 12:06 AM
~LOL!~

If you hadnt painted the stock and metal, I woulda fully exempted 'Bubba', but at least its fairly strippable/reversable, so well just say your 'close' to a new nickname ~LOL!~~.
You have choices , too, in scopeing it and destroying or not destroying its military configuration restorability......... A WWII period scope, a rear sight base mounted scope , or a "ATI chop, drill, tap, screw kit"?

Underneath it all, its a Mosin all right,and thats the best thing going for it :D Your Mosin, have fun, do as you please and what makes it work for you. :D then tell us how it shoots.

Arkansas Paul
June 14, 2011, 01:32 AM
I think it's very cool.

ColtPythonElite
June 14, 2011, 01:34 AM
I prefer the top one.

2RCO
June 14, 2011, 01:51 AM
Something different, I like it!

mgregg85
June 14, 2011, 01:54 AM
That top one looks pretty nice, see my sig for my opinion of the bottom one.

prid93
June 14, 2011, 02:27 AM
I can wholly understand why people would be upset by people sporterizing historic rifles...but I like what hes done here...has one that hes keeping in its original condition while making another truly his own...well done

Shadow 7D
June 14, 2011, 02:30 AM
Bubba says he aint bubba....

Well at least it's reversible
NOW
post a pic of the barrel shank, and see if they were collectable, which in a mosin can more than double your money. But it's not bad, and I guilty of it myself, I've got one too, as for the mount, I'd go with a repro PU or PE mount, you can buy them now with a weaver rail on them ;)

justin 561
June 14, 2011, 05:11 AM
I would not in any way feel bad about doing that to a mosin. Look at production numbers of the common factories mosin nagant, its not exactly rare..or going to be rare in a hundred years. If it were a M39 or a 189x dated 91/30 or a rare version I would see a valid point for the purist side..But again, its a mosin nagant. There is much better choices to mounting a scope without going with the Ati d&t mount. Check out the Jmeck (sp?) mount, no drill & tap, no maring of blueing and is very stable (also not a scout mount), and no perm damage to your $90 rifle. If you don't mind the drill and tap mount you could go the route of Rock solid ind. drill and tap mount with one of their bent bolts, or a boltman bent/swept bolt. Its your modding mosin, bubba the hell out of that thing, I did with my run of the mill $60 Izhevsk, and I feel no different.

Breakmyfootoff
June 14, 2011, 06:31 AM
Nothing you changed on that custom rifle will affect it's operation, and since I buy guns to shoot and have fun with instead of treating them as investments, I'd pick the modified one over the ancient looking one in a heartbeat. I think it looks good :), and while some have a "name" for people that "sporterize" old weapons like that, there is also a name for people that tend to believe that their opinion is the only right one.

WardenWolf
June 14, 2011, 07:34 AM
If you DO scope it, I recommend using the ATI scope mount, but going to BoltMan (http://www.mosinnagant.net/Boltman/Boltman.html) for modifying your bolt handle. He can do both "correct" sniper bolt modifications and ones adapted for the ATI mount that don't involve a ghetto chop-and-drill sollution. I don't think it's too much of a crime to tap a Mosin receiver for a scope rail, as long as it's done correctly. That said, I'm NOT doing it to my all-matching 1943 Izhevsk. That gun gets left alone, aside from very minor necessary upkeep (new barrel bands and retainers).

All said, nice rifles.

dirtyjim
June 14, 2011, 05:58 PM
i see nothing wrong with it and i wouldn't put any stock into anything the collectors say.
sporterizing is an american tradition the same as hot rodding is. there are well done examples and hack jobs. the problem with collectors is they cant see the difference between the two, imho collectors are the liberals of the shooting world.

Cosmoline
June 14, 2011, 06:23 PM
I like it. If you're swimming around with it, at least you'll be safe from submarines!

caribou
June 14, 2011, 08:36 PM
"What do you think?" was the last question asked by TheGent, and Ill keep my replys on that.

Theres nothing wrong, ever , with doing what ever you want to a Rifle you own, as long as it keep the gun functioning and hopefully more accurate.
If you need a scope, by all means , scope it. Holes are easily plugged, just like the Russains did with "ex-snipers", but more importantly, scpope it if it helps you place the shot.
Chopping and bolting on the working handle is indeed ugly and gonna break, eventually with the ATI kit, and the advise to get a "sniper bolt' is most excellent advice, and restoring the original is a bolt dissassembly away.
Some folks like me, like to use what we own, I shoot them all, and I make a living hauling around my M-39. Its not gaining any "value" , but since I enjoy and have kept it in its original condition, I havent lost any value , either.
From the looks of the way Mausers went, 30 years ago, I could pick up a matching K98k with issue sling ,all swastikas and 90% blueing for under 100$, and its now worth 5X's that, at least.
My All there, matching, with mum T-99 Arisaka was a 35$ "bargin bin" ina Seattle pawnshop, back in '88, is well worth 400$ as it is now.
My 50$ M-28 is worth 400$ easily, and the bundles of Finn Mosins I used to pick up for 100$ for 5 are just nuts......and so on.......I dont think I am doing the wrong thing by encouraging gun owners to both use your rifle, and keep it restorable, which is very possible. They will rise in value, as all firearms do.

I live over the hill, far away and way the F beyond the end of the road, so Im the kinda guy that values what he has and trys to make the most from the tools at hand, for as long as possible.

But certainly ,you must do, as I must do, as we must do.....our own thing, and be Happy :D

Carl N. Brown
June 14, 2011, 08:46 PM
I got an all matching numbers 91/30 that will stay original.

I have a frankenstein Type 53 Mosin that is slightly bubba'd and may get totally dollied beyond recognition before its over. The headspace is OK but none of the numbers match, so I see no reason to fret.

A friend had a totally sporterised Mosin-nagant with Mannlicher stock, butter knife bolt handle, refinished, sporter sights, trigger, etc. Nice hunting rifle.

NCsmitty
June 14, 2011, 11:29 PM
I like the camo job, but the flames from the muzzle flash will still give you away.

NCsmitty

Gordon_Freeman
June 14, 2011, 11:35 PM
I'm no expert or collector, but I wouldn't do that to a Mosin. I would be worried I'd damage the value. I suspect they will increase in value over the years because they aren't making any more of these.

RIATAC45
June 15, 2011, 12:53 AM
I have a numbers matching 91/30, and a sporter m44 that I built from parts. I like them all original, but I also like them sportered too. My uncle is collector so I can see the value in them being original, but if it is already hacked, have a good time making it personalized.

Arkansas Paul
June 15, 2011, 01:06 AM
I'm no expert or collector, but I wouldn't do that to a Mosin. I would be worried I'd damage the value.

You can get them for under $100 all day long. What value are you speaking of exactly?
Is it going to be worth $60 instead of $90?
I agree that they're not always gonna be under a hundred bucks, but they're not gonna be going for more than $250 in my lifetime I'm thinking.

Murphy4570
June 15, 2011, 02:44 AM
The Soviets made MILLIONS of these rifles. All the ones for sale for $90-100 are imports from the former Soviet republics, who are cleaning out a century's worth of stored obsolete combat rifles.

I really doubt the value on the common war and post-war ones will go anywhere. The pre-war ones might gain in value some. I know that the Imperial Tsarist ones are fairly rare, as far as Mosins go.

I own a 1926 Hex receiver Izhevsk Soviet M91/30 myself, and will likely buy a second one! For $110, why not!

Sam Cade
June 15, 2011, 03:10 AM
I agree that they're not always gonna be under a hundred bucks, but they're not gonna be going for more than $250 in my lifetime I'm thinking.

Hey, 'member a couple years ago when M44s were $97 and M38s were $110?

$200 m44s

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=335&name=Russian+Mosin+Nagant+M44+7.62x54R+Carbine

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/rifles/mosin-nagant/p/romanian-mosin-1944-7-62x54r-bolt-action-carbine-rifle%2C-used%2C-overall-good-to-very-good-condition/cPath/209_261/products_id/5588

caribou
June 15, 2011, 05:40 AM
And the more that meet the Hacksaw, the fewer the collectable rifles there will be........they quit making Mosin Nagants Loooooooong ago.....

Theres already an near occultic following of the Finn Mosins, and restorations are getting pretty common, since theres no more comming in and Bubba had his way while they were "Common and Cheap Junk", and with time Soviet era weapons and such will have a following just like the Nazi's.....it grows as we go's through time.....

59$ M-44's and M-91/30's are a thing ofthe past, an unles theres more on the way, the price will only increase, just like the days when I picked up complete Finn '91's for 40$

.....I was young and sold off about 2/3's of what I have now, though I made my $ back a few times over, I really wish I hadnt done that......

Give it 20 years, and that 91'/30 in the box , cosmo'd with accessories will go for a sweet premium.

232stinger
June 15, 2011, 06:46 AM
I'm not big on sporterizing, but you didn't hack away at the stock for no good reason and you painted something interesting on it at least, nice job!

ifit
June 15, 2011, 07:58 AM
i have a m38 which i will never modify. but lately been seeing some nicely done mosins like yours, which i may purchase one for my project.

TheGent
June 15, 2011, 10:08 AM
Thanks for all the comments. I appreciate them all. I'm not a collector by any means. I use what I buy, gun or knife. An $800 dollar custom, handmade knife with mammoth ivory scales will go in my pocket to be used and appreciated that way. Same with a gun. I'd use a Schofield revolver in a heartbeat. I buy every gun with that intention. I didn't do a hack job in any way like some locals I've seen at the flea markets. Even at $200 dollars I would have customized my Mosin.

"i see nothing wrong with it and i wouldn't put any stock into anything the collectors say.
sporterizing is an american tradition the same as hot rodding is. there are well done examples and hack jobs. the problem with collectors is they cant see the difference between the two, imho collectors are the liberals of the shooting world."

Well said.

I'm likely to buy a few more and do different custom jobs. I've got all the milling, and cutting tools to do excellent work of these Nagants. They'd look a hell of a lot better when I got done with them then how they came out of the Russian factories.

All said, these are some great guns. A blast to shoot and enjoy.

Cosmoline
June 15, 2011, 01:44 PM
I don't have a problem with someone painting up a 91/30 Soviet. I do take issue with the narrow minded absurdity of trying to turn every single military rifle into a Remchester. You can pull it off, if you know what you're doing, with a nice Mauser action and a fresh barrel and good wood. If you are very, very good you can pull it off with something more exotic like a Commission Mauser. I've seen some very nice sporters on those models.

But in many years of perusing racks for Mosin-Nagants I have NEVER seen a home-cut Mosin made into a typical scoped American hunting rifle that was halfway decent. The Finnish arms makers, which include some of the world's finest, did about as much as can be done with these rifles by adding heavy barrels and improved sights and triggers. At the extreme end they turned them into competition target rifles. You can do some interesting things with them, but they resist being turned into Remchesters. The further you get from the military configuration the more difficult the project becomes and the more likely you are to end up with a pile of worthless parts. The fact that you may be destroying an important piece of military history out of ignorance is icing on that stink cake.

For example: You can bend the bolt, but mounting a scope is tricky and easy to screw up. And when you get the scope on there you have the problem with the stock that doesn't put your head in the right spot for a scope. Plus you now have to break your weld to cycle the action. Plus the loading is slowed down, the cycling is slowed down, and the rifle is now a notch heavier and out of balance. Take away the long stock on a 91/30 and you have an exposed pencil thin barrel way way out there, without any of the tuning effects the stock had been contributing. It just whips around there. Cut the barrel and you have bad blast and flash from the 54R. Plus loss of velocity. Then you've eliminated so much wood and steel your rifle is now too light and recoil becomes more of a problem. What usually ends up coming out of this process is a stumpy-barreled rifle with an ill-mounted oversized scope, and mangled bolt handle and an aftermarket flash hider. It doesn't cycle well, it doesn't handle well, it doesn't aim well and its groups are still pretty middling. It's like adding more milk, then more cereal, then more milk. All because you really didn't like this cereal to begin with. Doesn't make much sense, and it doesn't end well.

It is much easier, and much more fruitful, to stick with a standard Mauser action, in the white, and build your dream gun from the many excellent barrels and stocks available for that rifle type. With basic knowledge and research you can make yourself an excellent scoped hunting rifle in any chambering you can imagine that will fit in the action. And they make magnum sized actions for the bigger rounds.

bigedp51
June 15, 2011, 01:57 PM
Some Mosin stocks should never be painted.
(I think I'm in love "again") :D

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/sniper-1.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/sniper-2.jpg

Gordon_Freeman
June 15, 2011, 05:21 PM
The M44's have doubled in value over the last year. I would expect the 91/30's to do the same eventually.
I also noticed that a sporterized 1903/A3 is worth half as much as the military version.
If you want to modify a gun why not just modify a modern gun that is still in production?

rondog
June 15, 2011, 06:41 PM
FWIW - Boyd's offers some really nice lookin sport stocks for Mosins. Don't have to damage your original, just swap 'em out. http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Boyds-Mosin-Nagant-Socks-s/172.htm

ifit
June 15, 2011, 08:32 PM
as we speek have seen the m44s already at the $200 mark and the m38s at $250, but you still see the regular mosins still at $89 bucks, which i prefer to mods on. like rondog said theres stocks out there you can tinker around with to suit your needs instead of modifying the original stock.

leadchucker
June 15, 2011, 08:38 PM
If you must bubba a Mosin, at least find a 43 Izhevsk with electropenciled numbers to do it to.

dirtyjim
June 15, 2011, 10:13 PM
i prefer to cut up remington 1891's. this ones in 220 swift AI, eventually i'll put it in a decent stock.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/dirtyjim/mosin%20sporters/220swiftmosin4.jpg

here are a few pics from the wed & a few other forums.
7x53r sporting rifle from finland.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/dirtyjim/mosin%20sporters/Mosinincal7x53R.jpg
mosin sporter with an austrian influence. double set trigger, tang safety, butterknife bolt handle & clawmounts
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/dirtyjim/mosin%20sporters/fineMosinsporster.jpg

remington 1891 built in america during the 20's
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/dirtyjim/mosin%20sporters/3592858.jpg

heavily engraved mosin that i missed out on by about 20 minutes.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/dirtyjim/mosin%20sporters/engravedmosin.jpg

caribou
June 16, 2011, 12:43 AM
Dirtyjim....Dirtyjim.....Dirtyjim........

What you show there in those pictures is absolutely what SHOULD happen when a Military Rifle is rehabbled into a nice light accurate Hunting Rifle, something I have no problemo with atall.......I have more than a few that were "Hacked" and I loan 'em out to kids and guys who need 'em.

Those are way beyond 'hacksaw, electric drill, sandpaper and a permanent marker' and the Names "Gunsmith" "Machinest" "Artist" come to mind....rather than "Bubba", when I see such usefull Deadly Beauty.

Its too bad far too many unalterd, intact rifles are simply hacked up with no real purpose other than to "Improve" something that needs very little improvements, as it is the way it starts.

If only they all came out of the basement as such, who could complain.......????

ZCORR Jay
June 16, 2011, 09:36 AM
I think that was a slick looking project. What's cool is you have the two rifles to satisfy the traditional and customizing crowds.

Well done :cool:

hartmen
February 10, 2012, 09:21 PM
omg. found this old thread and figured i post my M/N im currently woring on. im loving it to death.

has busnell scope24x with lighted reticles. green and blue
custom magazine that will hold 10rds. mag finished but waiting for the spring to come in the mail. hard work is done already

stock is off some muzzle loader. piced it up at a pawn shop for 40bucks. wish i new what model and make it came from.

also currentlly making a silencer for her. here are some pictures
also could use a bipod

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/shtterbug08/DSCN4786.jpg

leadchucker
February 11, 2012, 03:12 PM
Maybe it's just me, but making a $200 rifle out of a $1000 rifle seems to be very stupid.

dirtyjim
February 11, 2012, 03:40 PM
there are only a handfull of mosins that will ever break the $1000 mark.
when my m28-76 stops shooting good it will be rebarreled to 6.5vostock, i didn't buy it to polish it and keep in in the safe.
some of us also like to tinker and we have mill's, lathes and welders in our garages.
you can put thousands into a renchester and you still have a generic remchester that gets lost at the range.

Panzercat
February 11, 2012, 04:23 PM
I'm no expert or collector, but I wouldn't do that to a Mosin. I would be worried I'd damage the value. I suspect they will increase in value over the years because they aren't making any more of these.
iseewutudidthere :D

hartmen
February 11, 2012, 05:29 PM
myself i dont think mosins have any value at all unless they are modified. the last one i modified i sold for $400.

here it is in all its glory. i miss it alot. custom stock i made from scratch. custom milling the on bolt action. nice and smooth. so many things i cant remember them all. this new one im keeping and plan on blowing everyone away at the knob creek gun range in kentucky

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/shtterbug08/DSCN4112.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Custom Mosin Nagant" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!