High brass or low brass

PDA

Smokepole14
June 14, 2011, 11:44 AM
I have been reloading fiocchi 12ga 2-3/4'' primed skived high brass hulls. There the only hulls i've ever reloaded and they have suited me just fine. I tried to order some more from midway but their outta stock and on backorder. Whats another good type of hull to reload that is unfired. My load consist of 1-1/4oz of 7-1/2 shot with federal 12S4 wads and 28.0 gr of herco powder. or would the fiocchi low brass hulls do just fine.

If you enjoyed reading about "High brass or low brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
June 14, 2011, 12:30 PM
Yes, low brass would do just fine.

In actual fact the brass height has nothing to do with anything anymore.

In days gone by, it was used to protect the paper hull against burn through with heavy loads of powder & shot.

A high brass shell had a low base wad to make more room for powder & shot, and the paper tube was exposed to a lot of burning powder.
A low brass shell had a high base wad because it didn't need as much room for powder & shot for light loads.

Todays plastic hulls do not burn through, and they for the most part have what would be considered a low base wad, or molded in case wall head or web in one-piece hulls.

The only consideration you need to make is whether or not the low-base Fiocchi shells use the same plastic wads you have been using in the hi-base Fiocchi shells.

You might have to change wads when you change hulls.

rc

gamestalker
June 14, 2011, 01:42 PM
Unless your loading a for a magnum application such as 1- 1/2 oz. and up the need for high base hulls is unnecessary. 1/- 1/4 oz. loads will load just fine in a ny low base hull such as STS, Gold Medals, AA, and of course Fiocchi. Even up to 1-1/2 oz will be OK with a low base hull with the right wad. If you would like to lower your expense some try using the generic wads. The ones I'm using come in just about every copy configuration on the market.
Another way to save money for shotgun loads is using reclaimed shot. Most of it now days is well cleaned, completely resized, and graphite treated. It's no different than using new shot except that it's a lot less expensive, especially if you buy it in bulk quantity, as would be the case if you do a lot of trap, and or, skeet shooting.

rcmodel
June 14, 2011, 01:55 PM
Even if you are loading Magnum loads, low-brass hulls will work just fine.

The brass height has no bearing on plastic hull strength, one way or another.

I have loaded a ton of heavy field and magnum loads through the years using AA trap load hulls.

The only difference is which plastic wad & powder you use for them.

rc

gamestalker
June 15, 2011, 01:33 AM
Low base hulls will indeed work for magnum loads without any real problems. But sometimes the wad for use with a hefty magnum charge will need a shorter wad colum to accomodate larger charges of slower burning powders, the larger load of shot, and also any additional components sometimes needed such as a buffer, cardboard disks or two piece wads. But all that said low base hulls will function well for just about any type load if everything fits vertically as it should

If you enjoyed reading about "High brass or low brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!