full auto in michigan

PDA

plunge
June 18, 2011, 07:26 PM
how do i legally buy a full auto rifle in michigan? i really dont understnd what process i have to go thru. for example: if i found a full auto mp5 on gunbroker, how do i leagally obtain it? thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "full auto in michigan" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bubbles
June 18, 2011, 09:16 PM
In MI an FFL is required to own a machine gun, looks like C&R is a no-go from the quick research I did.

Basically, you have to be a dealer or manufacturer. Depending on where you live (zoning) and how much you want to be involved with running a business, moving out of state would probably be easier.

Sam1911
June 18, 2011, 09:24 PM
The easiest way is to go talk to your local SOT Class 3 dealer who will be happy to walk you through the steps. If the gun you've found is out of state, you'll need to transfer through a dealer anyway.

If the gun is owned by a resident of Michigan, you can file the Form 4 (http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-4.pdf) yourself.

Either way, you follow the steps on the form. You'll need your chief law enforcement officer to sign off on the form (or you'll need to form a trust to get around that requirement), you'll need to file some fingerprint cards, you'll need to pay your $200, and wait for your background check before you take possession.

MI used to be a non-machine gun state, but that seems to have changed in December of 2005: http://www.ag.state.mi.us/opinion/datafiles/2000s/op10259.htm

Trebor
June 18, 2011, 10:46 PM
In MI an FFL is required to own a machine gun, looks like C&R is a no-go from the quick research I did.

Basically, you have to be a dealer or manufacturer. Depending on where you live (zoning) and how much you want to be involved with running a business, moving out of state would probably be easier.

Nope, that info is outdated.

MG's are OK in Michigan on a Form 4. No C&R or 07 FFL required. Just the usual Federal paperwork.

SBR's, SBS's, and Silencers are still verbotten though.

Bubbles
June 19, 2011, 12:21 AM
Nope, that info is outdated.
Kewl, looks like both the NRA and Mr. Bardwell need to update their MI state law info. :D

USAF_Vet
June 20, 2011, 01:28 PM
I knew suppressors were not allowed, but I though the SBR's and SBS's were ok along with FA.
Boo.

Unistat
June 20, 2011, 02:46 PM
I knew suppressors were not allowed, but I though the SBR's and SBS's were ok along with FA.
Boo.
Me too.

NM. I looked it up and it seems that SBRs and SBSs are illegal.

mboylan
June 21, 2011, 12:11 AM
how do i legally buy a full auto rifle in michigan? i really dont understnd what process i have to go thru. for example: if i found a full auto mp5 on gunbroker, how do i leagally obtain it? thanks
Come up with $16,000 to $18,000 for a transferable. Dealer samples are for dealers only. Contact the seller. Most deals are 100% cash up front. Some are 50% up front and 50% four months later when the paperwork clears. Contact a SOT 3 FFL to do the transfer, he'll walk you through the process.

sv51macross
June 21, 2011, 01:12 AM
SBR/SBS are still illegal, but Michigan, like the Fed, define rifles and machine guns differently. A MG isn't defined as a rifle, so it cannot be classified as a SBR.

If you enjoyed reading about "full auto in michigan" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!