Well, THIS was unexpected . . .

PDA

ArfinGreebly
June 23, 2011, 01:40 AM
Stop me if you've already heard this:

Jon Stewart, on The Daily Show (http://www.hulu.com/watch/251743/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-the-fast-and-the-furious-mexico-grift#s-p1-sr-i1).

This would seem to be a very share-worthy piece.

A succinct and, surprisingly even-handed treatment of the Gun-Runner/Gun-Walker/Fast-and-Furious shenanigans.

"You're baiting me."

Yeah.

If you enjoyed reading about "Well, THIS was unexpected . . ." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mljdeckard
June 23, 2011, 01:45 AM
I caught it too, and I rarely watch him, but yeah, he tore them up properly.

cbrgator
June 23, 2011, 02:01 AM
He's done some bits in the past that were very fair to gun owners.

Crazy when a comedian is a more balanced source of news than actual news outlets.

nwilliams
June 23, 2011, 02:35 AM
You beat me to it, I was about to post a link to this segment as well.

"I assume a couple of possible solutions could be, improve our border security, restrict rifle sales to non-Mexican drug cartel members...."

As much as Stewart claims that he is simply a comedian, I personally think he is one of the few voices of reason in the media today. I also don't think that he gets the credit he deserves because people just assume that he's simply a liberal comedian but if you actually listen to what he says you realize that his comments are almost always extremely well educated and reasonable.

Jon Stewart has certainly matured in his views on guns and gun control over the past couple years. The last couple firearm related segments Stewart has done have been amazingly levelheaded. There was a time when he seemed pretty one sided on guns and pretty anti but then it seems he came to his senses. My sig line is a pretty clear example of this.

gathert
June 23, 2011, 02:39 AM
I prefer the Colbert Report, but good things do come from the Daily Show every now and again.

Deus Machina
June 23, 2011, 06:19 AM
As a whole, I like Stewart. Largely because he's just as happy to call out idiocy on the left as much as the common stuff on the right. It's like they're doing his job for him, lately.

I still think he's at least uneducated when it comes to firearms, but most of what he's said in recent times has come from common sense, not bias.

I'm still willing to bet that he has become a gun owner in the time his bias has been dying down.

ZCORR Jay
June 23, 2011, 08:44 AM
I'll watch the Daily Show from time to time and even though he tends to lean a bit more to the left he can be pretty good at calling out the idiots on either side.

Gun Runner was such a horrible abuse of power and funds and so far only the head of the ATF is stepping down... but would you expect the government to punish itself to any extent further than that?

tbutera2112
June 23, 2011, 09:21 AM
is that a hi-point at 1:27? :lol:

you would think all that drug money they would be able to get guns that actually shoot bullets

Hi-Point: The only semi-automatic handgun you can play Russian Roulette with.

Travis McGee
June 23, 2011, 09:25 AM
Even the Lefties are beginning to notice Gunrunner/walker/F&F.

That's the real news here. The media boycott is crubling fast.

Tommygunn
June 23, 2011, 10:27 AM
I saw Stewart on FOX NEWS SUNDAY. While he came off better than I thought he would he was still rather demeaning toward Chris Wallace, saying that Wallace could never understand him.
And maintaining the liberal shibboleth that FNC is nothing but a mouthpiece for the Repuke party.
If that is true I want them to can Juan Williams, Geraldo, and Alan Colmes -- especially COLMES!!!
And Stewart still does not "get" the liberal bias in certain MSM sources.

PS--- the above linked video would not play for me.....

PcolaDawg
June 23, 2011, 10:27 AM
Stop me if you've already heard this:

Jon Stewart, on The Daily Show (http://www.hulu.com/watch/251743/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-the-fast-and-the-furious-mexico-grift#s-p1-sr-i1).

This would seem to be a very share-worthy piece.

A succinct and, surprisingly even-handed treatment of the Gun-Runner/Gun-Walker/Fast-and-Furious shenanigans.

Yeah.

Wow.

Claude Clay
June 23, 2011, 01:11 PM
way, i mean way too funny....and than i realized it is NOT a Monty Python remake

---its the reality we are living
that our children are being raised in

...is there a omicron for 'run screaming naked into the woods'?

feedthehogs
June 23, 2011, 01:34 PM
As much as Stewart claims that he is simply a comedian, I personally think he is one of the few voices of reason in the media today. I also don't think that he gets the credit he deserves because people just assume that he's simply a liberal comedian but if you actually listen to what he says you realize that his comments are almost always extremely well educated and reasonable.

You do understand that shows like this have a staff of writers and that opinions, comments and the such are 99.9% likey to come from a writer to get a laugh, sigh or other reaction from the audience don't you?

And that this is entertainment plain and simple and not in anyway meant to be taken seriously or used as real news or information to base your decisions on right?

pacerdude
June 23, 2011, 01:49 PM
I was especially pleased with that Daily Show segment, but as others have said his last few remarks on firearms have been fairly reasonable.

seuadr
June 23, 2011, 02:10 PM
While i have to agree that the daily show isn't a "serious" news outlet.. watch some "real" news channels and you will find that.. quite a bit of the time, neither are they! CNN has random crap of the day, vote for the news story, and gives 24 hour live coverage to dead pop stars. Fox reports some news straight, but most of it with a hell of a lot of personal slant. i haven't seen very many solid, unbiased stories as of late except when i watch the BBC news hour (and their local news is slanted, i'm sure, but without knowing the local politics it's hard to tell) or NPR. So if you have to chose between watching the "not news" that at least advertises that it's snake oil, or the "real" news which doesn't seem to realize it is supposed to give stories, not short attention span entertainment, i prefer the one that is upfront, and at the very least, makes me chuckle.

TX1911fan
June 23, 2011, 02:14 PM
The news is also slanted by what they will and will not report. The BBC is a perfect example. While their reporting may not sound biased while you listen to or read the news story, they simply will not report certain stories that do not comport with their world view, and hence you have received slanted coverage. Nothing you can do except get your news from multiple sources.

basicblur
June 23, 2011, 02:21 PM
...his last few remarks on firearms have been fairly reasonable.
I DVR Stewart/Colbert every night-Stewart is not as pro gun/2nd as you might think-you can't really get a feel for his views based on his bits as both shows seem to be equal opportunity satirists.
I was watching Stewart during one of his guest segment interviews 'bout a week ago-don't remember who/what the subject was, but during the interview he asked the guest "why don't you do something really useful, like reinstitute the AWB?"

It's more difficult to get a reading on Colbert as he's never serious on his show, but I'd be surprised if he didn't lean (heavily?) left on guns/2nd Amemdment.

seuadr
June 23, 2011, 02:28 PM
you can't really get a feel for his views based on his bits as both shows seem to be equal opportunity satirists

this is exactly why i LIKE jon stewart .. regardless of his personal political leanings he makes fun of both sides equally. He somehow remains unbiased in reporting regardless of his personal views when it seems impossible for a lot of other "news" outlets to do the self same thing.. and he isn't even a serious reporter! you would think that someone who was serious about making a lifetime of respectable reporting would do a much better job than a satire show.. or at least i would, at any rate :rolleyes:

that is a fair point, TX selective reporting and heavily edited reporting also is wrong.

like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwbB02-rCVw

Jim NE
June 23, 2011, 02:33 PM
I have to admit...that was good...not good enough to make me like Jon Stewart, mind you, but it was good.

kis2
June 23, 2011, 02:33 PM
"You do understand that shows like this have a staff of writers and that opinions, comments and the such are 99.9% likey to come from a writer to get a laugh, sigh or other reaction from the audience don't you?

And that this is entertainment plain and simple and not in anyway meant to be taken seriously or used as real news or information to base your decisions on right? "

What an accurate description of the daily show, fox, and cnn!

I hope something comes out of the hearings worthwhile.

Heretic
June 23, 2011, 03:01 PM
I can only say one thing. "BLACK PIECES OF PAPER!"

merlinfire
June 23, 2011, 03:22 PM
If I couldn't make fun of our political situations I'd probably have had a heart attack by now. Thank you Stewart and Colbert for preventing a massive coronary.

tyeo098
June 23, 2011, 03:36 PM
Oh man, I lost it when Issa held up the black papers xD

Liberation
June 23, 2011, 03:48 PM
The only thing I found funny was the Tivo part and the black papers part.

He says assault rifle only 10 times... anyways his viewers will still be stupid and not care about the fact the ATF are a bunch of morons.

hnk45acp
June 23, 2011, 04:40 PM
Oh man, I lost it when Issa held up the black papers xD
You know I've been following this story in various media outlets and that was the first time I saw that image. It's such a great image it should be media crack but not one newspaper/network has shown it. Whether or not it's because of their bias of not wanting to show the ATF in a bad light or whatever I'm glad The Daily Show picked up on it.

HorseSoldier
June 23, 2011, 05:26 PM
You do understand that shows like this have a staff of writers and that opinions, comments and the such are 99.9% likey to come from a writer to get a laugh, sigh or other reaction from the audience don't you?

And that this is entertainment plain and simple and not in anyway meant to be taken seriously or used as real news or information to base your decisions on right?

A desire to interject humor in the equation would seem to be the only thing that differentiates this from regular news, where you also have writers who're seeking to garner ratings and sell more advertising for widgets, whatever pretensions they may dress themselves up with.

nwilliams
June 23, 2011, 05:32 PM
Yeah, they have writers but that doesn't mean that the opinions Stewart has are false in any way. It is still his show and I seriously doubt he would say anything put together by his writers that he didn't agree with. I guarantee you that most of the writing on the show is looked over carefully by him prior to the show and he either goes with it or he doesn't.

Sorry but I have to disagree you again. Stewart makes regular appearances on so called serious news channels such as Fox to express his views and if you listen to him speak it's quite obvious that what he says is being said in complete seriousness and he's not just trying to be funny.

Watch this interview and tell me he's not being completely serious and genuine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFQFB5YpDZE

hnk45acp
June 23, 2011, 06:06 PM
Although TDS is entertainment, the material gets worked over pretty thoroughly by Stewart and his writers which is more than you get from a newscaster reading from a teleprompter.

LibShooter
June 23, 2011, 06:09 PM
Jon Stewart takes pains to explain his show is "fake news." But... his funny stuff seems to get closer to the "real truth" than the big J Journalists.

Few of the news networks are overtly biased, but sometimes they miss the truth in a misguided attempt to give equal time. If 99.9% of experts hold one view on a topic, it's not "balanced" to talk to one expert on each side. That gives viewers the false impression that opinion is split 50-50. The Daily Show sometimes illustrates that by making the crazy guys seem crazy. I'm for that.

Dnaltrop
June 23, 2011, 06:18 PM
The Daily Show also does not cut interviews short to fill a 3 minute blurb.

They let their guests speak, and you can watch the full interviews on the web shortly afterward.

They catch blatant "errors" (being kind with the term) made by all of the "real" (also being kind) news networks.

I miss the days when the all day news scroll went from story to story, across the world. instead of spending 6 hours on the non-entity of the day because everyone else is reporting the same inane waste of breath.

kayak-man
June 25, 2011, 12:18 AM
I heard somewhere that in an interview, Stewart said that he sees himself as a journalist, not just a comedian, and his show my not be serious, but is about serious news.

Personally, I always got the feeling that Colbert was more Pro 2a than not.

Really, I'd like to know Jon Olivers stance.

nwilliams
June 25, 2011, 08:49 PM
I haven't made up my mind yet about Colbert and his views on gun rights.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/386851/may-18-2011/tip-wag---ohio-legislature---facebook

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/376848/march-14-2011/on-topic---2nd-amendment---right-to-bear-arms

But then again.....
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/256451/november-19-2009/celebrating-the-ak-47---john-pike

feedthehogs
June 28, 2011, 03:44 PM
Stewart said that he sees himself as a journalist

He can see himself anyway he likes but if what he does is considered serious journalism by even community college standards, journalism has sunk to even lower lows.

I just hope that the reports of shows like Stewarts influencing the younger crowd during the 08 elections was all hype, because if it has any teeth, I'd like to find the father of every kid who takes this boob seriously and slap some sense in him for raising a kid who can't distinguish make believe from reality.

Fleetwood_Captain
June 28, 2011, 11:12 PM
I'm surprised that the media isn't drawing up a bigger storm around this catastrophe.
This is an outright scandal, and should be treated as such.

Giving drug traffickers guns to see what they do with them, then realizing after the fact that you never had a way to track the guns in the first place?

Some might say this is closing the barn door after the horse has left.
I'd say this is more like leaving the horse in an empty field without a fence, then forgetting what field you left it in.

Stuff like this does belong on Comedy Central.
Unfortunately we're watching it on The Daily Show, rather than Reno 911...

hso
June 29, 2011, 07:42 AM
Will Rogers was a serious political force even thought he was "just a vaudeville comedian". Humorists that have used humor to highlight truth has always been an effective political and social force.

Mp7
June 29, 2011, 01:35 PM
There are so many people without humor on the internet. Here, too.

I think people like Stewart and Colbert are defending the american culture
by enabling people to laugh about themselves and ridcule the system.

This was a great example.

Nushif
June 29, 2011, 01:39 PM
Feedthehogs used a very nicel journalistic technique there himself ... He posted this as what John stewart said as quoted by someone else:

Stewart said that he sees himself as a journalist

I scrolled up and found this ...

I heard somewhere that in an interview, Stewart said that he sees himself as a journalist, not just a comedian, and his show my not be serious, but is about serious news.

Now, taking just this tiny sample of what is going on in reporting the beliefs of one person, who here still has faith in their news?
What we gotta keep in mind when we talk about journalism is that *nobody* is even capable of giving truly objective news. And if they did, nobody would watch it, because stating some facts in chronological order doesn't give the entire picture either, usually! Not to mention it's incredibly hard to follow.

GrimCPT
June 29, 2011, 02:04 PM
They have just been using the wrong highlighters like the CIA...:scrutiny:

Highlighters (http://www.theonion.com/articles/cia-realizes-its-been-using-black-highlighters-all,1848/)

Old krow
June 29, 2011, 02:05 PM

It takes a while to change the course of a big ship. Hopefully this will prove to at least aid the change in direction.

publius
July 6, 2011, 04:43 AM
For those who missed it:

http://pajamasmedia.com/tatler/files/2011/06/image001.jpg

Shadow 7D
July 6, 2011, 04:49 AM
http://www.google.com/search?q=John+Stewart+oprah+guns&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Google: John Stewart Oprah Guns

I saw the interview posted here last year, it was, enlightening, he called the Mavin of Media out on her anti gun stance, point out a 'few' flaws, after all it was her show and I doubt he could have gotten away with his usual style.

Yeah, a liberal guy who gets guns, who knew?

clutch
July 6, 2011, 05:11 AM
I wonder if Jon Stewart ripping the BATFE will be a signal to the left of center journalists that it is okay to report on this?

Clutch

basicblur
July 6, 2011, 10:07 AM
Nah-'specially MSNBC.
I've been kinda keeping an eye on 'em-when news regarding this case breaks, I often DVR the 5? hour block of talking heads on MSNBC to get a laugh outta how they'll spin this-so far, I'm seeing nuttin'.

Maddow briefly touched on it 'bout a week ago, but it was just a drive by mention as the main focus of her story was how many agencies had acting heads-I was expecting her to blame the NRA at any time, but I guess that might have meant she would have to go into more detail (and they don't want that).

On Fox yesterday, they gave extensive coverage on Mexico wanting to extradite those involved-DVRed the usual 5-hour block on MSNBC and absolutely NO mention made of it yesterday-I'm going to give 'em a few more tries.

And no, I don't watch 'em all-I just fast forward thourgh 'em all looking for the ATF story.

Ryanxia
July 6, 2011, 03:55 PM
That was a great 6 minutes :D

cbrgator
July 6, 2011, 05:05 PM
Look what Comedy Central just posted today. This video doesn't exactly portray Stewart as pro-gun, or even neutral.

The Daily Show's Best Second Amendment Moments
http://www.indecisionforever.com/2011/07/06/the-daily-shows-best-second-amendment-moments/

Neverwinter
July 7, 2011, 01:17 AM
Look what Comedy Central just posted today. This video doesn't exactly portray Stewart as pro-gun, or even neutral.

The Daily Show's Best Second Amendment Moments
http://www.indecisionforever.com/2011/07/06/the-daily-shows-best-second-amendment-moments/
"The greatest thing about this man is he's steady. You know where he stands. He believes the same thing Wednesday that he believed on Monday, no matter what happened Tuesday. Events can change; this man's beliefs never will."

basicblur
July 7, 2011, 01:57 AM
Just did my daily DVR drive by...Special Report on FOX tonight led off with the ATF/Melson story.
Meanwhile, over on MSNBC...Maddow, Shultz, McDonnell, and Matthews (even tried Olberman on Current TV) all said squat!

This reminds me of the recent Black Panthers voter intimidation story.
If not for FOX, you'd never have heard the story.

I'm just curious how far/high this will have to go before they finally have to acknowledge the story? :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Well, THIS was unexpected . . ." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!