Surplus ammo corrosion

PDA

JustinL
June 23, 2011, 10:10 PM
Hello

I recently purchased a batch of surplus ammo: my first. It is 1994-vintage German 7.62x51mm surplus and up to a third of it may be corroded.

The first picture below shows what appears to be mild corrosion: a shiny, flat, green spotch on the surface of the casing. The second picture is typical of the more severe corrosion seen. A larger discolored area that is raised and feels rough to the touch.

I am pretty sure the second example of the two would be considered unsafe to shoot, but what about the first one?

If you enjoyed reading about "Surplus ammo corrosion" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kingpin008
June 23, 2011, 10:34 PM
Barring better pictures, I'd shoot both. If the second case feels really rough or has obvious pitting, of course, that's another story.

parker51
June 23, 2011, 10:46 PM
Take a piece of 000 steel wool to it so you can see if it has eaten into the brass. Without seeing what is under the green stuff I wouldn't shoot either in my guns.

Murphy4570
June 24, 2011, 12:06 AM
Looks like surface corrosion to me. I wouldn't worry about it.

Apocalypse-Now
June 24, 2011, 01:39 AM
it's fine. shoot it.

JustinL
June 25, 2011, 02:08 PM
I picked up some 000 Steel wool on may way home from work last night. It takes most of the green stain right off & the underlying metal looks fine. It looks like I'll be able to reclaim a lot of the ammo I thought I would have to write off.

Now I just need some time to clean them all up.

mongo4567
June 26, 2011, 11:31 AM
I have a buddy that bought a lot of that stuff. He used a brass brush on his buffer, cleaned it all up very quickly. He only had a few discards. It shoots great.

If you enjoyed reading about "Surplus ammo corrosion" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!