Cars vs. Guns

PDA

lizziedog1
June 24, 2011, 09:26 AM
Last weekend I went to a classic car show. There were some real beauties there, and the automobiles were not bad either.:D

Anyway, it got me thinking.

If you buy an old classic car, you need to restore it for it to have any value. A rusted junk heap is worthless.

On the other hand, if you do any sort of restoration to an old gun, you just blew its value.

Why the difference?

If you enjoyed reading about "Cars vs. Guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam1911
June 24, 2011, 09:35 AM
I don't think there's the difference you think there is. A rusted, malfunctioning gun isn't worth very much at all -- except for extremely rare models of value only to collectors, and even then their value would be a scant fraction of what it should be.

A rusting, malfunctioning vintage car is the same way.

A gun that's been lovingly restored by someone like Turnbull's (http://www.turnbullmfg.com/) will command a lot of money, just like a car that's had a frame-off restoration down to the engine decals.

A gun that's gone back to the factory for a new bluing job or other repairs may draw nearly as much as one in factory original condition, again like a top-line car restoration.

(And let's not forget how the changing value of the dollar messes with our perceptions of "value" over time.)

A gun that's been customized is generally worth considerably less than one in original condition -- just like a car.

A gun that's been poorly "fixed up" or modified is worth very little at all -- just like a car.

(... Or antique furniture, or any number of other vintage items)

spartanpride
June 24, 2011, 01:13 PM
Sam couldn't have said it better

Larry Ashcraft
June 24, 2011, 01:22 PM
Actually, an original, good condition old car is worth far more than a perfectly restored one, especially with some character like honest wear. The latest thing in the old car hobby is: "It's only original once".

CHEVELLE427
June 24, 2011, 01:38 PM
most cars are worn more then guns,

but as stated an unmolested old car is worth way more then a restored one , but most are worn out and have to be restored just to be able to drive it safely,
about the same as a gun if it is worn out loose rusted up it needs a restore so you can shoot it safely, or leave it alone and hang it on a wall,
little hard to hang a car on the wall.

i have restored a few cars but only refinished a few old stocks and cold blued some $100 guns.

Sam1911
June 24, 2011, 01:43 PM
Actually, an original, good condition old car is worth far more than a perfectly restored one, especially with some character like honest wear.Yes indeed, and that translates directly to a number of other fields of covetous obsessiveness (:D) as well!

Arkansas Paul
June 24, 2011, 02:07 PM
A gun that's been poorly "fixed up" or modified is worth very little at all -- just like a car.

Absolutely right! Bubba in his garage isn't restoring anything. He's destroying value.
If I had a mechanically sound Python, I wouldn't hesitate to send it to Colt for a rebluing job. I would never just take it to a gunsmith for the same work.
It's all about how it's done and who's doing it.

451 Detonics
June 24, 2011, 03:47 PM
On the other hand, if you do any sort of restoration to an old gun, you just blew its value.

Big misconception. On a gun with historical providence you are right...you leave it alone. You would not restore the car JFK was riding in when he got shot nor would you fiddle with the Carcano he was shot with.

On a gun without any historical providence proper restoration will enhance value. Note I did not say refinishing...they are different things. We have all seen a reblue and varnish job done on an older gun...normally looks like a polished turd. Look at the gallery on Turnbulls website...that is restoration and yes...it does add a good bit of value.

VT Deer Hunter
June 24, 2011, 04:14 PM
Well not sure how to exactly put it, a gun has history and people want to see it was used and its history of it and such. A car is a lot bigger and you want to use it and people want to see it in its best running condition. I dont have it very clear but a car looks good restored and like new and a gun with history and leaving it the way it is, is what makes it unique.

Zach S
June 24, 2011, 09:45 PM
Actually, an original, good condition old car is worth far more than a perfectly restored one, especially with some character like honest wear. The latest thing in the old car hobby is: "It's only original once".
And some not so honest wear. I saw an appraisal for a shoebox Chevy on the speed channel(?) where the value the appraiser gave what seemed really high to me - then he mentioned the high number was due to the history behind the unrepaired damage on the car.

Someone tried to jack the original owner. As I recall, the window was busted with a crowbar, and the owner wisely sped off. The window was replaced, but the damage to the rear 1/4 where the crowbar was dragged across the car wasn't repaired.

But like you said, an unrestored original sells for much more than the same model that's had a frame off resto. A lot of musclecar guys love to bash the old Mopars, but they really bring in the cash. I saw a show-winning, restored, matching numbers, 70 Hemi Cuda go for something like $150k. A while later, I saw the "same" car, unrestored, go for $325k... One was on Barrett Jackson, the other on EBay.

Another big thing to consider is that guns don't rot away like cars do. You can oil a pistol and put it in the attic, and it comes out looking about the same ten or fifteen years later. Park a solid car in a barn, and ten or fifteen years later, you'll have a rustbucket. In my area anyway. I don't think car guys in Phoenix know what rust is, lol.

FenderTK421
June 25, 2011, 06:17 AM

This ^

CHEVELLE427
June 25, 2011, 09:13 AM

AS FOR OLD CARS

lets not forget the job is ONLY as good as the amount of money the owner wants to dump into it. cut corners you get a half azz job

do it your self you can turn a profit pay someone to restore it and you most likely will have more in the car then you could get back out.

kimberkid
June 25, 2011, 01:33 PM
and lets not forget ...

Just about any old rusty non-functional gun can be sold as wall-art and people will pay several hundred dollars for it when even a functioning gun of the same model may only be worth a $50-$75 as a gun.

not so with cars ...

Overkilll0084
June 25, 2011, 01:50 PM
Much depends on the desirability of the actual project.
A fully restored or even a great original AMC Pacer is still a Pacer. I would imagine that the same carries over to firearms. If it was rubbish NIB in 1958, I would imagine that 50+ years on, it's still rubbish.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cars vs. Guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!